Train Sim World 2 - Western Glory

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

A bit disappointing to tell you the least, we already have these locos in game so this is already possible with the senario/livery designer yes it may take a while to make every service but its possible. So I don't really see the point in paying for this because I can't really see what your paying for.

• Like Like x 6
  2. KingOfCunard

KingOfCunard Member

At least the DLC is still in the upcoming section of the Roadmap which might give DTG time to work on the feedback so maybe it won't be as bad as we all think?

• Like Like x 2
  3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Hold on just a sec if this trio is all about bringing these 3 trains into the game in traditional br blue/yellow livery colors,then did dtg just miss the fact that the br class 101 is already had the livery blue/yellow color the whole time.(Who approved this dlc,someone who has never played tsw?)

• Like Like x 9
  4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I believe the 101 isn't the best choice for this route, the 117 being much more common, but even so shouldn't it be in all over BR blue livery to be accurate for this period?

• Like Like x 7
  5. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

It needs the 117!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

On a modern route? And trains that all already exist in the game? I'm all for a backdated route, but this is just recycling 70s trains on a 2015 route.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

I can tell you that a lot of "British folk" I have been speaking to are far from exited, and some are angry. Don't get me wrong, if they actually would backdate the route and give us accurate trains then I'd be all for it. But that would need the budget of a new route, which they haven't given this pack.

If you can't do it properly, don't do it.

• Like Like x 9
  8. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Will the road be brought up to date or not?
    I want to say :
    -No more catenary?
    - Period people on the quays?
    -new advertising on the docks?
    -the dirty and oily rails of the Trans Pennine?

Finally I want to buy back all the locomotives that I already have to have new services but only if the road is also modified one can at least to look "of time"!

9. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Anything above 5 Pounds would be a ripoff. It's just a repaint, which I might add has already been made as a free mod, and a service mode. That's not worth 10 Pounds, let alone 15.

• Like Like x 9
  10. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I know I thought of this when I found out it was gonna include the 101 but the 08 doesn't need to be here have a western diesel shunter like the class 14 instead and make the 101 and 08 options to use them instead of the new engines in timetabled mode

• Like Like x 3
  11. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

No, I really don't see that happening. What you see in the Screenshots is what you will get, a modern route with old and reused trains.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Bit underwhelmed by this pack at the moment. The 101 could've at least had a different variant of the BR blue livery.

Wonder if this new timetable will also have layers for the other BR Blue locos like the 31, 40 & 47? Was also hoping the scenery of the route would be changed to reflect the period this pack is supposed to represent.

Going to wait for price details before I decide whether to buy right away or not.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

I don't see what everyone's problem is and I for one am very excited by this DLC!
    I hope that the livery editor works so that I can paint the 52 burgundy and the 08 green and pretend that it's a 09, then run them on the WSR route in the scenario planner. That way, it'll be like getting THREE versions of the same locos, but only paying for them twice. Bargain!
    I can't apply the same keen eye for a hard bargain to the 101 though, so I guess I'll just have to drive the hell out of it to justify paying for it three times. Maybe if I mix it up a bit and convince myself that I am using the one that comes with this DLC on the NTP, the NTP one on the TVL and the TVL one on the GWE route, it'll seem like I've made a shrewd financial decision.

• Like Like x 12
  14. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Hopefully future improvements to the 'multiple timetable feature' will also allow for slight variances to the route in terms of scenery, texturing, removing overhead catenary, etc...

I like the idea, but I think the execution was pretty dismal.

• Like Like x 4
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That paragraph is a complete load of unadulterated bunkum!

1) Where were the several units sent? Not to Reading, not in 1967 and not used on the GWML into Paddington. Even if they were they would have been far outnumbered by the class 117 which from the early 60's to the early 90's was THE DMU used between Reading and Paddington. The class 101 was not a common sight at all in the 1970's in the Reading/Paddington area that is a historical fabrication.

2) To add insult to injury they haven't even reskinned it into the correct livery, it would have been in BR blue not the blue/grey livery. Blue/grey was reserved for intercity stock and intercity and cross country DMU's it would not have been on a humble commuter/local services DMU.

3) Looking at the screenshots they are two car units, the sets sent to the Western Region (not the Reading area) were all three car sets.

Frankly this is a lazy attempt to try and persuade us fans of older periods that they are trying to cater for us. It is a totally unrealistic representation of what would have appeared on that line at that time.

Very disappointed!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 26
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Don't you just love sarcasm

• Like Like x 4
  17. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Missed opportunity?

Although I'd purchased the Class 52 when Scenario Designer was made compatible with GWE and when this was announced I thought if only I waited, but I was still(!) intrigued...
    Having done a little (background) research I thought the Class 45 might have timetabled services and the Class 31 both timetabled services in addition to working station pilot duties on ECS workings to OOC. Had we seen an original condition HST with screaming Valentas I WOULD have been in! Even if everything was 'recycled' it would have appealed, but sadly very disappointed.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Probably not getting this pack, but I might.

The reason I may buy it is that all the new DLCs recently have had Raildriver support. If these have support and it comes with some decent scenarios and it’s not too expensive, then I would consider it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

I do. I love Oscar Wilde's observations on it even more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

The unit number on the unit in the screenshot, L840 was among the set numbers given to the batch allocated to Reading in 1987/88 (as three car sets).

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This DLC is not screaming ‘Buy it, Buy it, Buy it’. That’s alright though, I’m not expecting to buy everything. If this is ever heavily discounted, I might consider it at that point, but nothing is exciting me sadly.

• Like Like x 4
  22. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

If you don’t own NTP or TVL then it’s an ideal opportunity to get some older stock and give them a burn-up on the mainline. If it’s below £15 then it represents quite good value for money.

Obviously if you already have these then it is of little value but then this pack isn’t aimed at you as you can create similar experiences with the scenario planner already.

The fact they changed the name from a timetable pack clearly shows it is now aimed at those who do not already have these items of rolling stock and the timetable modes are just icing on the cake.

23. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Saw the Instagram post with the blue Western and thought, oooh maybe a 50 at long last and a 117 too...then I read the article. Sigh.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. theorganist

From the Railcar association website. The class 101 vehicles sent to the WR in 1967 were three trailer vehicles sent to Reading depot (as strengtheners). The first full units were allocated in 1975 sent to Laira and Bristol, not Reading.

DTG seriously need to research their facts more thoroughly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

It maybe the lowest but it's still funny used in the right way

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

Do you think they will knock up a class 117 over the next few weeks? Somehow I don't and I don't think they actually care enough to either quite frankly.

• Like Like x 2
  27. theorganist

I like driving old trains, this pack should be a guaranteed purchase for me. But the experience it offers will be so far removed from reality that my wallet will remain closed.

I can make scenarios on the ancient workshop Paddington to Swindon route on TS1 with a blue class 117 and a myriad of realistic diesels, I am not purchasing this for some half baked sop towards people like me so they can tick a box and say "we cater for everyone"!

• Like Like x 6
  28. theorganist

Quite simply it is an unrealistic portrayal of the route at the time!

• Like Like x 3
  29. theorganist

It isn't even close to being the best choice for this route, a BR painted class 166 would be almost as realistic.

• Like Like x 6
  30. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

From what Sam said, this whole DLC is an "experiment" which is total utter cobblers seeming as there's a LT 1938 Stock being made by Rivet, supposedly for the Bakerloo Line!

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

But to have a successful experiment you need to have as big a sample size as possible. Not everybody would be interested in BR blue diesels pack regardless of what locomotives were in it so it makes sense they would have other packs as part of the experiment.

If they have the models already and people are willing to pay for them then why not? As long as it doesn't draw too much away from other projects which I doubt it will.

I don’t know the price but to a fairly casual player, who doesn't own NTP or TVL and wants a burn-up in some old diesels then I feel this could be really appealing.

• Like Like x 2
  32. theorganist

Well if it is an experiment it is going to possibly result in a false outcome, unless for some reason that is the intention so they can keep creating add-ons for post 2010 and say "well we created that (wonderfully realistic) pack for GWML and it didn't sell well"!

They need to actually make an effort not a half hearted attempt.

I wondered about the 1938 stock, I didn't see that coming. Is it for Bakerloo or is it a retro pack for ECW!

• Like Like x 3
  33. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s an experiment into seeing weather these types of content packs would be popular, I’m fairly confident they won’t be if all these packs consist of is a route we already have with 0 changes to said route, and bundled up stock that’s already been released, that aren’t even historically correct.

Taking a pre released route and changing the time period is something that could be incredibly popular, however just slapping random trains on those routes and trying to sell them again never will be.

• Like Like x 9
  34. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Considering this is the first pack of its kind for TSW2, I hope that the player base can give some constructive criticism so DTG know what works and what doesn’t. None of us have or have to pay for this pack.

• Like Like x 2
  35. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

They talk about immersion in a specific time, yet they did nothing to capture the route from that time. Driving on this route under catenary in the 70's? Really?

• Like Like x 3
  36. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

I'd have probably got this if it had a Valenta HST, but frankly this looks like an incredibly weak DLC.

• Like Like x 5
  37. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Just why? Such an pointless addition- what a waste of resources
    We already have these trains in tsw2. So what is the point. They haven’t even removed the ohle

• Like Like x 3
  38. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

so... just recycling?

and its really weird putting a 166 with a 101
    like an ACS-64 with a E60

• Like Like x 5
  39. theorganist

They could have done an early 90's pack with an intercity HST and a NSE class 47 and mark ones. The 101 in NSE livery would have been seen on this route, although in much smaller numbers than the class 117.

• Like Like x 9
  40. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

“screenshots and videos of the new route”

Heyyyyyy, heyyyyyyy...

What?

• Like Like x 2
  41. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

So, great western 1970’s pack huh? Let me examine the details real quick...

Hmm, *mumbles* class 101 we’ve seen that already, class 52 seen that already, class 08...

Well looks like this dlc does not meet the requirements for being an interesting and highly anticipated dlc, big nope on that one. I’m saving my money for the clinchfield, as that one deserves my money wayyyyy more than this one, no hate or anything but it’s just a little disappointing, wonder how sales will do...

• Like Like x 3
  42. SprattyHeath

No doubt in my mind that this will be a total flop, a lot of people all seem to hate this, and I am definitely one of them. I just dont see how this is going to sell well. Without an editor era mixing just isn't there yet, not with the current level of content thats available for TSW at the moment

As for the 38 stock, pretty sure it will just be a slight "remodel" of the IoW 483 just with some new NDMs, SNDMs & trailers. Nothing hair raising or something to get even modestly excited about.

• Like Like x 3
  43. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It's a miss for me, releasing the 10 in grey and blue livery again for the 3rd time and not in all blue. Shame. They could at least have removed the OHLE and put period signage up, just replacing textures would have gone some way. The only thing that looks cool is the Loco run-around at Paddington which is of interest, but unless this is less than £10 at full price is still a big stretch.
    Could have had a BR Blue HST, could have made a 117, didn't.

• Like Like x 3
  44. SprattyHeath

I've said this before, but the more logical solution to making this so-called "Western Glory" would have been to instead to remake Western Hydraulics Pack from TS1.

It obviously makes much more sense and would tie in on the theme of this pack. Surely if your main focus is on the Hydraulics, then why bother with the already overused 101? You already have a 52, It's a lot of effort that would have perhaps paid off.

An idea that could have potentially sparked quite a bit of interest, but sadly DTG compleley flopped it and went the lazy direction as per usual. Just utterly dissappointing

• Like Like x 4
  45. FoxLuc

FoxLuc New Member

I don't know if it's listed as dlc, because if you need to buy the locomotives i already own again, it's no good.
    It's better if they do like the SEHS Railtours, if you already own the locomotives you get services, that was the good thing!

Instead, it's better to put the pack back into the "Production" section of the roadmap and replace them with the Class 50 and Class 117, then if you already own those locomotives, add them into the timetable of the 1970 timeline

• Like Like x 5
  46. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice British Rail Loco Addon from the "age of the train". Some freight stock from the BR Heavy Freight Pack in this Addon would be very nice.

• Like Like x 2
  47. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

yes exactly you should put that into Suggestions and hope dovetail sees it

• Like Like x 4
  48. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

This one, to me, at least sounds more interesting than the Great Western 70's pack!

• Like Like x 4
  49. theorganist

I have the same first generation DMU book which Adam just showed on the stream. And I cannot find any class 101's at Reading during this time period!

• Like Like x 6
  50. SprattyHeath

Im not even REMOTELY interested in it either.

• Like Like x 1