Proposal For A Change Of Plans In The Gw Diesel Legends Pack

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FoxLuc, Feb 23, 2021.

?
  1. First Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Second Idea

69.4%
  3. Both!

13.9%
  4. Keep the one proposed by DTG

16.7%
  1. FoxLuc

FoxLuc New Member

This was originally a comment to the news of the pack's presentation, some people liked my ideas in that comment and it was a good idea and opportunity to make it a suggestion

The Upcoming Great Western Diesels pack is ALL made by Locomotives and rolling stock most fans could own already, here is the list:
    -Class 101: Already avaiable in two routes: Northern Trans-Pennine and Tees Valley Line, in total, an expense of 40 euros (might not be accurate)
    -Class 08: Already avaiable in the BR Heavy Freight pack and the Tees Valley Line. let's not forget about the similiar Class 09 in the West Somerset Railway, in total an expense of 50 euros
    -Class 52: Already avaiable for the West Somerset Railway, in a separate dlc! in total an expense of 40 euros (the reskin doesn't count)

I don't know if it's listed as dlc, because if you need to buy the locomotives i already own again, it's no good.
    So, First Idea: It's better if it's done like the SEHS Railtours, if you already own the locomotives you get services, that was the good thing! (the Class 52 reskin to blue will be avaiable if you own the WSR one)

or Second Idea: it's better to put the pack back into the "Production" section of the roadmap and replace them with at least the Class 50 and Class 117 then if you already own the Class 50, Class 101 or Class 08 locomotives, add them into the timetable of the 1970 timeline, keep in mind the first idea can be used to add more stock in the timetable!

More stock from the 1970s! candidates for the pack: Class 42 (my personal favourite)
    1970s2.jpg
    Since HST is already in the Great Western Railway, a reskin of the HST in BR blue livery would be a good idea!
    1970s4.jpg
    and the last idea is the use of the class 31 for the ones that own it already!
    1970s5.jpg

The reason of WHY this decision is crucial to the development of TSW's content experience is the factor of determinating if the intentions of the Dovetail team is to bring a TRUE plan to use these opportunities with the best (or at least decent) way to create a better content experience WITH a better way to manage content.
    My ideas combined would bring a minimum of 5 different types of stock in one timetable! (Class 50 + Class 117 as a way to start the pack, then if someone owns Class 52, Class 101 and Class 08 in other dlcs, it will be added )

Enjoy these photos and especially a VIDEO regarding the 1970s in the GWR to prove what is the real experience that the pack should bring!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The 2nd idea with the railtour system makes sense, plus this allows DTG to focus on making new trains, rather than copy&pasting ones, and just making them livery designer compatible

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Naturally I chose the second idea. I don't have a problem with the class 52 being included, a class 50 would be nice but they didn't come till later in the 70's and didn't run alongside the class 52's for long.

My problem as I have said is the class 101 being totally unrealistic despite what information DTG think they are looking at!

• Like Like x 2
  4. FoxLuc

FoxLuc New Member

theorganist of course! i like the class 52 too, i may need to specify that since these locomotives can be bought already from other DLCs, the people who already own those will just have them added into the timetable

5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

The 52, being a complete rebuild is fine in my mind as it is and I intend to purchase the pack regardless because of it. However, if DTG were to take time to rethink this pack and offer a brand new loco/DMU as part of it, or perhaps to modify the route to appear more authentic to the time period (even just removing the catenary would go a long way) then I would not complain.

On account of the content of this pack all being stuff we have already seen in one form another, I hope they either do not charge as much as a standard loco add-on or offer a discount to existing owners on the 101 and 08.

I do think I will likely get a lot of time out of this pack as I much prefer older traction to modern, but I do think mistakes have been made in the way this pack has been presented to the community, it seems DTG failed to expect the backlash from a passionate portion of the community. I refuse to accuse DTG of laziness or money-grabbing as some have, but I do certainly understand the disappointment from numerous members, even if I believe some have let their emotions get the better of them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

I certainly would never accuse them of being money grabbing. Laziness, well in this case I think they have chosen the easy option with the class 101.

Yes I may get passionate about it, but this is probably my favourite period of railway operations, DMU's have always been a passion of mine. The class 101 is simply unrealistic, the wrong train for the period, in the wrong livery and in the wrong formation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

I would had been a little bit better if they at least repainted the 101s in full br blue with out grey but they didn't

8. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Aye, I definitely think they've made a questionable choice there, I certainly share your pain at the lack of variety in historic DMU traction, the 117 is the obvious choice for the route. I do hope DTG either reconsider the contents of this pack or learn from this. The current backlash could have been avoided if this was presented to us perhaps in a different manner, or the content was considered more carefully.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FoxLuc

FoxLuc New Member

theorganist My perspective on DTG is not about money grabbing, but poor content management, for example, if you own the Class 66 in the GWR, it won't appear in the SEHS services that are avaiable for the Class 66, while if you own the Class 66 from the East Coastway, there are services for the SEHS, and i am talking about the EWS Livery 66! this is poor management of resources

• Like Like x 5
  10. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

And then dtg will have to backtrack and pointlessly make an older clone of the 66 livery compatible, plus waist in resources and more importantly time

11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Interesting site re the 101. https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/later-operations
    As for a reskin of the HST it wouldn't sit right with me as the examples we have use MTU power plants and not the screaming Valentas. I'm quite happy with DtG's inclusions and voted appropriately.

12. theorganist

Yes that is the one I was quoting from.

13. transport

transport Active Member

To be honest, I have been on quite a few 101's in my lifetime and to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it in TSW2, sorry if this causes a stir however that is my opinion

14. theorganist

Did you travel on a class 101 along the GWML between Paddington and Reading in the 1970's on a train painted in blue and grey? I suspect you didn't.

You have your opinion and I have mine, I have too travelled on class 101 DMU's several times, I don't see why that is relevant to this discussion frankly. There were over 30 other classes of first generation DMU so to only provide the class 101 is unrealistic and shows a lack of thought.

My opinion is that surely TSW is trying to recreate some semblance of reality and realism, where possible, it has said several times they won't provide unrealistic layers on German routes, but a "historic" pack can just be sloppily compiled without any attempt at realism. A class 101 is totally unrealistic for that route in that period. If they have provided the class 45 not the class 52 I am sure you along with others would be extremely angry, so why is it acceptable to not provide the "iconic" DMU for that route yet you must provide the "iconic" loco!

15. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

From what I heard on the livestream they wanted to do someting different like br blue 101 and they where aware that the 117 would have been more apropiate but the loco team didn't have time to make a new train for it so they went with 101

• Like Like x 1
  16. theorganist

Yes I got the impression they were aware that the class 117 was more realistic choice, and I understand that making a new train is no small undertaking.

They seem to think the blue and grey class 101 was the more correct livery as they had seen more photos of them in blue and grey than blue. From 1975 there were around five or so of them in blue/grey the rest were blue until receiving the white/blue stripe refurbished livery, however most of the photos on the Railcar association site seem to be the blue/grey ones so that might be why they think that was the dominant livery.

Anyway it has passed now and sadly I won't be partaking in the pack but I hope those who do, enjoy it and maybe next time DTG assemble a "retrograde" pack for a route it might be a bit more realistic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

You never know, they may well do a 117, since they have all the source material for one.

• Like Like x 2