So, I Bought The Humble Bundle... Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by sackmaniac, Feb 23, 2021.

1. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

It was the cheapest way to get the game, full stop. Problem is, what do I actually need to be able to use all of the stuff in the bundle (for example, the BR 444 Desiro requires a Portsmouth Direct pack, but wait, because there's another one which is 5 years newer and comes with more stuff and a bundle that includes way more stuff) and how much would it cost?

Also, it doesn't make sense that the included German route doesn't actually allow for electric trains from the same region to be used! None of this makes sense to me.

I hope someone can simplify it for me as it's becoming very clear that this isn't TS09 World Builder's Edition.

2. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Humble Bundle doesn't make a lot of sense. A number of electric locos are provided, but all the routes are diesel routes.

The only way to use them is to buy an electric route, which is a bit counter-intuitive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The 444 in the bundle is an old and arguably obsolete pack, for the original Portsmouth Direct Line: https://store.steampowered.com/app/65218/Train_Simulator_Portsmouth_Direct_Line_Route_AddOn/
    A newer Portmouth Direct Line was released a couple of years ago, with scenery and track upgrades, along with being extended to Waterloo. https://store.steampowered.com/app/...Line_London_Waterloo__Portsmouth_Route_AddOn/
    This new pack includes a reworked 444, as well as a reworked 450 and 455 (the 450 was in the original PDL and the 455 is itself a seperate pack).

Using quick drive you can put whatever route on whatever (appropriate) route. By appropriate I mean it'll let you run a 3rd rail loco on any 3rd rail electrified route. You only need PDL for the included scenarios.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Thanks. That was about the level of my understanding. I found it (by it, the second gen PDL from 2018) in a bundle with the 360 (I have an interest in 2000s ish multiple units) as well for like the price of just one. Steam is wierd.

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

You'll need an electric route to drive the electric trains. Last year's bundle was a lot better than this year's, but it was more expensive. The Ruhr Sieg lineis the cheapest full route with electrification you can get I think, although it is very old and obselete.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, DTG often have sales and will take any opporunity given. They do weekly deals on their own store: https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/sale with some pretty good discounts. Note that sales on Steam don't automatically translate to DTG's store, so be careful on that front. They also do some good bundles.

If you like 2000s MUs, then here's a few recommendations from me:
    - GEML (London - Ipswich plus the line to Felixstowe) is a good shout (there's a version on Workshop that extends it to Norwich)
    - The new(ish) WCML South and similarly WCML Trent Valley are pretty good, especially, on sale - both come with a 66 and a 350, the former also comes with the 378, 390 and 221, although, sadly, WCML South doesn't have the Northampton loop.
    - South Wales Coastal comes with the 70, 67, 375 and HST.
    - London-Brighton is really popular, although only comes with a 377 although there is plenty of loco DLC for it (319, 442, 460, FCC377, probably more).

If you're looking for something more continental or American, then I'm afraid I can't help, but the new Dresden route looks really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Thanks. There's a bundle with ECML, GEML, + SW + south east thing + some other game on there. Like 25 quid. Only things beyond that would be HS1, WCML (as you said) and other Europe high speed stuff. Is that good?

8. Clumsy Pacer

Can you link me to it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

My earlier summary that you might find helpful (or not).

In any event, what I'd suggest to anyone super crazy about useless freebies:
    - Buy the Humble for 1€.
    - Buy old PDL for the 421.
    - Buy old NEC for the Acela.
    - Buy München-Augsburg for the 423.
    - Buy old Woodhead for the B1. Add Weardale to wishlist.
    - Buy old GWML (Oxford-Paddington) for the Jubilee.
    Of course this is more than 10€ even with the discounts, so might want add more to wishlist only, wait for a 50% sale on each, or just go from top to bottom if you trust my sequencing wherever your threshold is. (You can even continue to the 5€ bundle.

This should set you up for about a year (or more): 8 routes + 5 trains.
    ... And now, use in-game workshop tab to expand your scenario options without having to worry about what else to buy.

The most efficient way to get electric trains would be to acquire a TS 2015 key. Comes with New York - New Haven, München-Garmisch and London-Peterborough, plus ideally a bunch of trains.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

For older routes in the TS Classics stuff, it tends to get a heavy discount from an already low price so you get some routes for less than £2 sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

You might prefer to get a few hours in with the routes you have before buying more- Steam is likely to have a sale in June if you can keep your powder dry until then. (TBH though I'm not convinced the TS2021 selection has that much going for it- someone who bought the Humble Bundle was kind enough to send me his unwanted key for the game and the routes are worth having but not that impressive.)

You could look around for other older editions of TS- other websites sell them as Steam keys usually for less than a tenner. TS2019 includes the newer Portsmouth Direct route for example.

Is that the Great British Railway Journeys tie-in?

• Like Like x 1
  12. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Yep. Couldn't care less about the tie in, but the packs are £25 each where I am. Also, would have been good to know that before i just spent £8.74 or whatever.

Does the one on CDKeys include that route? Is there a list of stuff that comes with each game because it might be more cost effective to go to cdkeys and just get the stuff i want/

13. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

14. Clumsy Pacer

Ohh I remember that releasing. I think it's a seperate game though (despite just basically being TS with Michael Portillo's face on it) - if that installs for TS that's a great bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I can confirm that it does both! There are five routes in GBRJ and if you have TS then they are integrated into it when you install GBRJ. Even though I paid the full £24.99 I was happy because I didn't have ANY of those 5 routes! Fiver per route in essence - a bargain for me. The one "issue" I had was that the Class 801 scenarios don't install to TS, but a quick copy & paste sorted that out (info gleaned from the review comments of GBRJ on Steam).
    GBRJ can also be loaded up just like any other game and one can see how it's a cut down version of TS :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. JJTimothy

It was £10 in the last sale.

I don't know who sells what I'm afraid but I'm sure there's a Wikipedia page that describes each edition of TS. If you can get a legitimate Steam key for something cheaper than you'd get it on Steam why wouldn't you?

Was that the top tier bundle? There was some discussion in the forums about the bundle being an odd grab-bag and I'm sure you're not the only newcomer a bit nonplussed by it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Yes that was the top bundle. Just slightly annoyed that I can't use over half of it because the stuff I can use is pretty good.

I will wait, £10 is a steal.

18. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Can you link how to do that for future reference? Also, if you have two versions of the same train how do you tell them apart?

• Like Like x 1
  19. JJTimothy

If you have a Steam key for any edition of TS including GBRJ activating it will drop that edition's routes into your collection as if you had bought them separately. The same goes if you buy any current or future edition of TS in Steam.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I went onto Steam and bought GBRJ. Then I installed it. It was reallt that simple.
    I don't have two versions of the same train as such. I do have two games. One is GBRJ and the other is TS. GBRJ has a noticeably different interface - among other things, its dark green rather than blue and the main menu only has Academy and Drive.

If you mean getting the 801 into TS then here you go: Copy the Class801Pack01 folder from GBRJ/Assets/DTG into your Railworks/Assets/DTG folder. Go to the GBRJ/Content/Routes folder. The folder for the Class 801 is 00000029-0000-0000-0000-000000002014. Copy it into your Railworks/Content/Routes folder. You should now be able to access the 3 scenarios for the 801 included in Career for the ECML London-Peterborough. The 801 is available in Quick Drive too ;)

• Like Like x 2
  21. sackmaniac

sackmaniac New Member

Quick question though... Is there a way to use the TS Academy route as a quick drive route?

22. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

No, but you can easily create a Quick Drive scenario in the editor.