Train Sim World: Nec New York Development Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Jay, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

We've seen a pair of GP38-2 really having to work to pull a consist up some grades in NEC, and GP40-2 is very underpowered - as in "can't pull the train up 1.6% grade at all" while the same train pulled by GP38-2 goes 25 mph at Notch 4 up the same grade.

2. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

I believe something was wrong in that stream, perhaps some handbrakes were engaged or something like that. Those two geeps were barely managing that tiny swath of freight cars, stuck at 37mph at Notch 7 on level grade and beginning to rapidly decelerate the same moment Matt switched to idle.

3. Kuu Lightwing

Or maybe they are testing new resistance dynamic. I think someone commented that trains roll too easily in HH. Or maybe that's wrong. But on the other hand, say, HST can roll for like 4 miles and not lose much speed.

4. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

There was definitely some kind of brake applied, after hell gate bridge the train was decelerating down the grade on idle.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Thanks for explain. That is the same way as GP40-2 DLC works at CSX Heavy Haul.
    It's good not only for choice, but it make each gameplay a little special. With more locos/cars and others railroad companies it will make the game more colorful.

Maybe this is the way to avoid problem with workshop scenarios, where you need to own the certain DLC to become playable. (like TS20XX) This feature gives you always the basic alternative.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yeah Matt failed to do a brake test, and the current US rolling stock likes to drag brakes when you have not done a brake test. That’s also why the brake pipe needle was so twitchy the whole time-the train cars were just acting like a vacuum for air because Matt has not reset the brakes using a full service application then a release.

7. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Well; it wouldn't be a Matt stream without something going awry. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Well, if it wasn't a bug and there were dragging brakes because of lack of brake test as pschlik mentioned, that would be a neat thing to have in simulation.

9. Kuu Lightwing

Well, this simulator has a lot of potential. Sadly it seems to suffer from the lack of resources or something along these lines...

But... umm, what exactly is dragging brakes?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stig

Stig New Member

That's disappointing. I didn't like NEC for TS since I couldn't drive the route without the help of HUD.
    I have never used the F3/F4 HUD on TS, and I have disabled "Next speed limit marker", "next signal marker", "Next speed limit HUD" and "Next signal HUD" for TSW.

I guess I can enable "next speed limit marker" for NEC, and use that as a substitue for the cab signalling. Hopefully they will fix this in the future!

• Like Like x 1
  11. pschlik

Basically, the brakes were applied on the train cars even though the brake handle was set to release. Brakes dragging can be caused by a lot of things, in the case of the CSX stock it seems to be due to the air system, though real life can have more serious mechanical failures leading to dragging.

• Like Like x 2
  12. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

How much does anybody wanna bet the release gets pushed back again? I'm honestly debating on wether or not I should just cancel my pre order and get my money back, because this whole thing looks like a huge mess.

13. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

It doesn't get released until between 5 and 6pm GMT.

14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

If it were to get pushed back again, I think we'd know by now?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

They promised it will be released today and I believe it will come out today as planned. Need to have faith in them I did not see anything in yesterdays stream that would suggest anything different.

16. John Murphy

I wouldn't put it past DTG to pull a fast one on us. If it wasn't for the greed and impatience of their corporate department, we could have nice things. Nice finished things.

17. Kuu Lightwing

To be fair, if not for their corporate department we could also have much fewer things.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I cannot help asking how you know all of this information -- or are you just theorizing (to put it politely)?

19. John Murphy

Well they'd be better than what we get now. They need a serious change in staff. If the route doesn't come out today as promised, that's just sad, because I personally believe that nothing is getting fixed and that they're doing it just as an attempt to get more pre orders. That's just the way DTG works.

20. John Murphy

They might not tell us until after the fact. Or maybe if they do push it back, they'll wait until the last second to announce it. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind if stuff was actually getting fixed, but it's not because DTG has a huge problem with basic quality control. Yeah, minor stuff might be getting fixed, but most likely not the huge game breaking issues that need to be addressed. I really do hope I'm wrong and the route does turn out to be good and worth the money, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Clearest admission of prejudice I've ever seen on any forum that deals with TSW -- although I'll readily admit that I'm not familiar with all of them by any means.

22. Kuu Lightwing

I watched the livestream.
    Well, I'm sure you would enjoy going down the Sand Patch for 10,000th time. You actually probably would be able to get that 1,000,000 tons of coal achievement. TSW needs bug fixes, yes. But it also needs content.
    Also, I don't doubt that the DLC will be released today.

As for "they just did it to get more preorders", this is baseless speculation. Along with freight services getting pushed back to another update, it's pretty obvious that they just ran out of time, and needed to finish things before releasing it.

• Like Like x 5
  23. John Murphy

Well I'm sure CSX would appreciate it if I hauled 1,000,000 tons of coal for them and the power plants would definitely be fed.

I would agree with you if DTG released the route and updated it later with some bug fixes, but I just don't think they're gonna do that. At least not for a really really long time. Yeah, they'll probably add in freight services for service mode soon after release, but not much after that. I hope everybody who doesn't believe me is right, but from past experience I've learned not to trust DTG and not to look at their content in a positive way. The only reason I spent the money on this in the first place is because it's the Northeast Corridor. If it was anywhere other than the northeastern US, or another freight route like Heavy Haul, I'd probably pass it up and wait for something else.

24. pschlik

As much as the corporate overlords definitely are not giving the devs enough time (as referenced many a time, the limit on route length is coming from a lack of time provided to the devs to make the routes, not tech limits) and this has caused especially “meh” results for Rapid Transit, that is also the exact reason why I would not see them pushing back the release any more. At this point, the corporate people are probably telling the devs ‘don’t care what condition it is in, get it out’ while there is stuff still planned.

The fact that a significant amount of content in the freight timetable is only coming after release is pretty telling of the amount of time the corporate people think it takes to make a route and how much time it actually takes. Even with these shorter routes than Sand Patch, there still isn’t the time to do all that is on the plan, and the corporate people are willing to make sacrafices even if the devs are not. (Seriously, I think that we are ratting on the devs too much, assuming malice on their part, when the corporation is the real issue. Also, those are the people not communicating with us at all-so its questionable if feedback gets to the company level.)

I’m not in a position to attribute that to greed, I especially doubt this has anything to do with more preorders...[even from a greed standpoint getting in more preorders makes little sense with the discount and easy refundability of a preorder.]
    I imagine it is just a case of DTG acting too big for their own good and behaving more like a pro business with a huge team instead of a reasonably sized game dev company, thus overestimating how quickly they can do X, and Y (even after removing Z from the plan due to not having the time) while also doing things like advertising release dates months in advance and doing preorders agres before release. (Sure, greed could be a result of that, but no clue here.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Or it could be the case that, like most companies, DTG have to bring in a certain amount of income every quarter to keep the books balanced, the staff paid, the offices rented and the licences covered. I don't know if the licences for train operating companies come at a cost but a lot of software is licensed; such as the IDE they're coding in.

• Like Like x 3
  26. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Seems to have been released early, downloading NEC: New York now

27. pschlik

Well of course they gotta make money, not saying they don’t, but that doesn’t change the fact that the corporation is choosing a very...interesting path to make money, a path that reflects what other larger companies would do. (I’m not saying that the fact that they try to make money is out of their league, it’s how they make money that seems out of their league.) There are multiple ways to make money, after all.
    But no matter what methodolgy they choose, point is that the way it is going right now is worth talking about. And that’s not in a very good way.

• Like Like x 2
  28. John Murphy

Oh believe me, once you get familiar with them, you'll probably agree with me.

29. Kuu Lightwing

Well, the mystery of GP38-2 struggling with that consist on the stream is solved. Apparent;y the handbrakes are applied on all boxcars and tank cars. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2