Nec: New York Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cActUsjUiCe, Mar 19, 2018.

1. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Like hundreds of others today, I watched the livestream of NEC: New York. It was a good time overall, but I jotted down a considerable amount of issues that I believe should be fixed. This list will be added upon once I get to play the route myself tomorrow.

ABBREVIATIONS
    ADU = Aspect Display Unit
    MAS = Maximum Authorized Speed
    ATC = Automatic Train Control

ISSUES NOTICED DURING LIVESTREAM
    City Sprinter Scenario
    • Font on the ADU is incorrect, except "RESTRICT" looked okay. The aspects should all be capitalized and aligned to the center. The font color should be a lime green, not yellow. The font for the MAS shouldn't really be italicized. The ADU in New York to New Haven looked more accurate.
    • The speed limit of No. 1 track does not drop to 35MPH until milepost 9. Dovetail Games had it drop from 70MPH to 35MPH at the west limits of "West Dock" interlocking (see 14:38 in the livestream). Milepost 9 is at 15:09 in the livestream.
    • MAS showed as 34MPH when the MAS was actually 35MPH. This was around Newark Penn station. It was stuck at 34MPH for a long time. With MAS of 35MPH AND a signal of Approach Medium, the ADU should have shown 35MPH.
    • Passed Approach signal at West Dock and ADU showed Clear. ADU should have shown Approach with MAS of 30MPH. (see 17:33 on livestream)
    • Passed Medium Clear at East Dock and ADU showed Clear. ADU should have shown Approach Medium with MAS of 30MPH. (see 18:16 on livestream)
    • 90MPH speed limit between Hudson and Swift is in the wrong place. 90MPH starts around the middle of the curve. The exact point of change is at New York milepost 7.7. Orange = 60MPH, Green = 90MPH. 1.PNG
    • West limits Erie has a malformed signal aspect. Not lit on top head, amber on bottom. Cab signal showed Clear. (see 27:26 in livestream)
    • Curve east of Bergen has 90MPH limit in game. 75MPH limit in real life. (see 29:50 in livestream)
    • Missing signal at west limits ‘A’ interlocking. The signal is at the tunnel portal in real life, but there is no signal present in the route. (see 35:56 in livestream)
    • Cab signals would flip a lot. Many times you would pass a fixed signal that was more restrictive and then the cab signal would just flip back to Clear.
    • ATC alarm continues going off even after acknowledging and braking to conform with signal aspect. This happened a LOT. Just look at how Matt is struggling with it in the North River Tunnels around 32:00 in the livestream.
    • Slow Approach signals appeared and they shouldn't have at all. There was no place for them. The ADU didn't conform either. ATC didn't enforce 15MPH. See 24:18 for an example of Slow Approach. Slow Approach is meant to be used when you are already slowed to 15MPH. In this case, the signal progression had him hitting Slow Approach at 45MPH.
    • Time to Penalty counter on the ADU is inoperative (thanks to "pschlik" for reporting this!)
    • ACSES braking curve is conflicting with ATC. When passing a Medium Clear, the MAS on the ADU should have shown 30MPH, but 34MPH was there. As the train got closer to the crossover where 30MPH applied, it finally started counting down from 34 to 30. (see 18:16 in livestream).
    Walking in New York Penn Station
    • Malformed signal aspects. One particular signal I saw had both yellow and red illuminated on the top head. See 39:13 in the livestream.
    New Rochelle Service
    • Signals at west limits of CP 216 (from the Hell Gate line perspective) are the wrong type. They should be the Metro-North signal type, not color position lights mounted on a gantry. See 1:26:41 in the livestream.
    3.PNG

Sunnyside Yard
    • Some yard switch levers are missing. This appears to be on purpose.

Use the following table to fix the cab signals. The cab signal should "conform" to the fixed wayside signal outside.

2.PNG

This criticism is meant to be constructive, not aggressive or insulting. DTG has created a product with a lot of potential!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Did you notice the catenary looked completely wrong? There was the kind that the brackets were held by wire instead of a metal pole.

3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah but I personally didn't want to get that nitpicky about the decorations. The most important part to me right now is the simulation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Any audio issues you found? Also I didn’t see any third rail for the LIRR during the stream, that’s a big missing detail! Penn Station also has signs on the platform saying “Front of the LIRR Train” with an arrow on it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah there were some audio issues. The "spongy" or "grass" sound when walking on the New York Penn platforms, the lack of noise when walking between Amfleet cars when the train was moving...those were the more noticeable things. I didn't notice the third rail, I'll have to take a peek tomorrow!

6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the time to penalty counter remained blank for the entire livestream. That's kinda useful to have info about.

7. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah I noticed that too. I will put that on the list! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawjester

What about the ATC/ACSES beeping? Is that the correct beep because it’s different in TS. Also the horn sounded a bit weird, and I don’t know if that’s the correct propulsion sounds.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I have never been in the cab during operation so I don't know if that is the right beep. I am not too keen on sounds anyway. I dont pick up on them too well

10. Anthony Pecoraro

We need Fan Railer!

11. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

The horn has the same issue all horns in the game has; a lack of depth and reverb. Again; that can't be fixed before Unreal update the audio engine in UE4.

• Like Like x 1
  12. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

Does this require "theTrain Sim World®: CSX Heavy Haul"?

13. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Where is the Third rail all over New York Penn and in the PATH line? You gusy did it correctly in the old version why is now wrong?

14. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Yes.

15. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I think they have not yet implemented any third-rail stuff and will add it once they bring out a DLC which uses it.
    In GWE there are some third-rail-decorations on the subwayline, but thats nothing functional. Also all the overhead stuff in GWE is only decoration and will never be used unless they bring the route up to a newer year, maybe when the new Elizabeth Line opens...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Have noticed black lines that appear from time to time, as in other DLC.
    I hope this will be corrected with the update.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Thats the same breakpipe bug since the beginning.. And since the stream was with the new version, no fix for now.

18. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

almost correct Sintbert - I had a discussion with Matt about it and they have narrowed it down significantly. Initially the bug was caused by 4 or 5 identified issues, they have now gotten that down to 1 or 2. So therefore I would find it unfair to say "no fix" - its one of those where it must be a fairly large bug and theyre methodically squashing the issues behind it - rest assured it is actively being fought.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pschlik

I remember that the old brake pipe bug was the pipes spazing vertically when they loaded in, that was fixed, and it was all great.

But then GWE came along and the corridor connections started bugging out, similar to the original pipe bug but instead of spazzing up and down it was a horizontal spazz.

They fixed that, and only after the corridor connections were fixed did the brake pipes start doing the horizontal strechyness they do nowadays. Classic case of fixing one thing breaking another, but its especially punishing because the thing that was broken had been broken before...and fixed before. Needing to fix the same kind of issue 3 times is a bother.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Nothing more entertaining than pre-pre-trolling. Perhaps in the near future, folks will begin to imagine a TSW DLC release and deluge the forums with complaints about it? Wouldn't that be fun?

• Like Like x 1
  21. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I think you're being rather harsh by calling the OP a troll.

• Like Like x 5
  22. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

Thanks Corvan for the quick response. I have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end for TS2018. Do you think future scenery, routes, add-ons, etc., will be for the CSX Heavy Haul?

23. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Cheers Cactus, I'll make sure this makes its way to the devs.

- jay

• Like Like x 3
  24. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Cheers. This list will be added to in the next few days

• Like Like x 1
  25. Le troll des bois

Le troll des bois New Member

Hey there,

I've been on the steam forums for quite some time, but the toxicity there drove me away.. Surprising isn't it ?

Well, now the DLC is out, and I noticed a couple of things during the first scenario.

- As mentionned in the OP, the ATC alarm sometimes goes off, and still rings despite getting under the required speed and acknowledging it. I found out that you have to go a step "below" the speed restiction and acknowledge it for the alarm to be quiet. IE: when the speed limit is 45, go down to 30 and acknowledge. When 30 is displayed, slow to 20 or 15, etc. Tadaaa ! Alarm is silenced.

- On a french "AZERTY" keyboard (layout 66 if I recall correctly ?), the "throttle down" and "acknowledge" button are mapped to the same key "Q". On a side note, we still can't remap the keys :-(

- We still can't move the external cameras with the keyboard.We can look around with the mouse, but we can't change its position relative to the train.

Cheers.

26. jf1963

jf1963 New Member

My audio stutters a lot and is very annoying. It does not do it in heavy haul, well, it did it one time and had to get out of game then back in to fix it but that didnt help here.

27. pschlik

The ACS-64 audio has no doppler effect. And now that I think about it, neither does the Talent 2. The older stuff has it, so why not the new things?

Edit: adding random things as I have the time to play...
    There aren't any loading screens specifically for NEC. How odd.

The YN3 GP38-2 uses the same thumbnail as the YN3b GP38-2.

The YN3b GP40-2 thumbnail seems to be framed a bit differently than the YN2 one.

Numberboards on active ACS-64s are permanently on (both sides of the locomotive too), the numberboards should only be turned on by the main headlights.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  28. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, I manage to find some out-of-place bugs on mostly the rolling stock and locos:
    NECBug-1.png
    Would these cars have brake hoses or not?
    NECBug-2.png
    Speaking of wires, these things are going crazy when moving on the GP38 (and I thought the AC44CW still has that issue before)
    Also (didn't manage to screenshot this) the Yn3b GP40 side cab number flickers from the camera view. This is just what I found so far.

29. Lawjester

I can’t believe it, they didn’t put in any third rail throughout the entire route! That is a huge detail that is missing! Come on DTG, you did this for TS why did you miss it for TSW?!?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

They didn't miss it; they deliberately left it out because they didn't have time to put it in. This is becoming a theme unfortunately.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Lawjester

Well I’ve said it before, if DTG is gonna leave out such an easy but important detail on purpose, this simulator does not deserve the name Train Sim World, rather “Train Sim Better Graphics” or something, it is just ridiculous!

32. Anthony Pecoraro

You people must think that just because the route is how it is now, that that is how it will always be. They will release patch fixtures. I am tired of people bashing this.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

GP40 lights are still black and on the new GP38 repaint the reflections are missing in the lights, without them it looks like the glass is missing.

GP40:[​IMG]

GP38:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  34. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

DTG have a reputation of not looking back at something after it has been released, but move on to the next best thing.

They do fix issues or improve game mechanics, but it looks like the state of a route is what it will be.

When GWE was released, none of the services in Service Mode were formed of six car Class 166 compositions. 6 months on, there still aren't six car Cl166 trains in service mode.

35. Anthony Pecoraro

They ARE fixing Northeast Corridor New York. They are listening to feedback.

36. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that issues, such as the ones with the safety systems, will be fixed but if I were you I wouldn't count on new stuff (such as missing 3rd rail) being added to the route. :)

• Like Like x 1
  37. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

The 3rd rail was left out deliberately due to time constraints. Doubtful it'll be added in unless they release a 3rd rail train for the route.

38. Anthony Pecoraro

The signals and safety systems are being fixed.

39. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

I wouldn't be so cheerful about that. Traction motors are also "being fixed", but that's their status for about a year already.

• Like Like x 1