Train Sim World 2 - Appalachian Gem

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 18, 2021.

1. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Thank you for this map. Now situation is absolutely clear. I appreciate your efforts

• Like Like x 2
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Do you think we will see loco dlc's for CRR too. Especially the U36 would be a nice addition.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

This map is part of a series of maps I have made for the Train Sim World Wiki, which can be accessed here: https://train-sim-world.fandom.com/wiki/Clinchfield_Railroad. This specific map is based on the information in this article on the branch lines included.

• Like Like x 8
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

If DTG is releasing a route, especially one like this, then it would be unlawful for them to abandon it and make no dlc for it, so there should be dlc for this route, which might possibly be one of the dlc’s or locos seen in the original route for TS.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Great image, very informative and it gives us leeway on how this route may get released. I also agree there is lots of possibility with this route.
    When this route comes out it will be the first major route to have 4 major branch lines within one map. This leaves loads of possible service opportunities for heavy traffic along the route, especially with scenario designer.
    The previous route(s) to use this similar branch line feature but on a smaller scale was the East Coastway, CSX Heavy Haul, Long Island Railroad and Main-Spessart Bahn DLCs.

• Like Like x 5
  6. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Lovely great! Thanks a lot

• Like Like x 2
  7. NorthRail1

At 62 miles with all the branches included this should also be the longest route for Train Sim World so far.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

As someone who is close to the clinchfield railroad or what used to be it I am exploding with excitement

• Like Like x 8
  9. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

And Rhein Ruhr Osten :).

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Totally illegal, punishable by death. “Thou shalt not sully released routes by abandonment without loco DLC, and should it come to pass that the route is abandoned then thy shalt feel my wraith.”

• Like Like x 1
  11. MetrolinkF125#916

Yep, at the bare minimum they should give us just one dlc, like they’ve been doing with some of the recent routes, which, again, could be one of the locos already seen in the TS version of the route.

12. MetrolinkF125#916

Hopefully a dlc for the clinchfield is in planning, and we’d find out about it in the next roadmap or two.

13. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Dynamic dispatching is one of the great selling points of TSW2 for me. I am hoping that skills gained from the single track S-Bahn sections in recent releases will allow meets that are variable depending on the the timing of the player train.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the double track section. Having one track for each direction would be somewhat easier to implement I suspect. Having a main and a siding would be more elegant.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Correct!, The longest route we have so far in terms of passenger trains is the Peninsula Corridor DLC in the U.S standing at a total of 53-57 miles (CSX Heavy Haul excluded)
    Peninsula Corridor has been the longest passenger route and one of the longest routes we have had for the longest time, it was also the longest route in TSW 2020 for console editions. Peninsula Corridor is also what many believed as the most completed route with trains and length wise in TSW 2020 and maybe TSW 2.
    Even up to today Peninsula Corridor still stands strong as one of the longest routes we currently have in TSW history.

But this is great the new Clinch Field Railroad will become if all branch lines are added, the longest route in TSW thus far. This is a route I am interesting in. I am happy some American content is underway, we have not seen a new American route for a good while.

• Like Like x 3
  15. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Peninsula Corridor is 47 miles and LGV 58 miles which makes it the longest route of TSW

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

The type on the picture looks interesting. I’m not so much into American trains, I’ll rather go on with the British ones. I did like the Northeast Corridor with passenger trains. A safety system challenge though and more fun than the Peninsula Corridor. The German lines remind me of Sweden. (Swedish,I am!) Arosa? Well... maybe on a later sale. The class 101? YES!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

First let's have the base DLC be good, THEN deal with add-ons :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Train Sim World® 2: LGV Méditerranée: Marseille = 58 miles :)
    PS The longest travel time, in the speed limit - SPG \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MetrolinkF125#916

I’m pretty sure up to know it is LGV Méditerranée, the longest route in TSW. 58 miles, wow, this is followed by SEHS at 51 miles, and then SPG and finally the peninsula corridor. But when clinchfield comes out, it’ll probably be the longest route overall in TSW, not end to end but in track miles:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh yea, the best play here is to invest all time and resources into making the base dlc the best route in TSW, then release it, and plan add-ons, cuz if you’re gonna have a dlc for a not-very-good route, not a lot of ppl will buy it, but if clinchfield is allowed to shine in all its American glory, the route and its dlc will blow the others outta the water!:D

21. NorthRail1

Sand Patch Grade is 57 miles including branches, 52 without.

• Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

True, but LGV is over a LOT faster

• Like Like x 1
  23. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh so it makes Sand patch the 2nd longest route in TSW in track miles.

24. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

People have been asking for long services! LGV takes around 20-30 minutes to do an end to end service and a service on Sandpatch can take almost 2 hours. Clinchfield will have some of the longest services on TSW2 I would assume! I honestly thought when it was announced on the roadmap that we wouldn’t be seeing Clinchfield or the Arosa line until much later in the year. I’ll be very happy to have both of these routes added to my collection and I look forward to the rest of the year as well!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  25. MetrolinkF125#916

Most likely clinchfield will have very long services, especially since we’ll probably have a lot to do in those branch lines, or why would they add them? From coal loading, dropping off cars, picking up new ones, and heading down the line to drop them off! but I hope it doesn’t take me 4 hours to complete a scenario haha, and that’s if I don’t experience fresh-new-route-style bugs lol!

• Like Like x 6
  26. Louis-MTA NYCTA

But also Clinchfield might also have some short shunter, delivery and even car swap services too. It just goes to show just how much potential this route really has. All 4 branch lines will most likely offer other destinations for services along the mainline and short shunter services.
    Overall Clinchfield if done right will have at least something to offer for everyone to enjoy, From shunting services, long hauls, special deliveries, main line operations, MOW services and more. It is simply amazing to see how much potential is going into this new route. Only time will tell

Remember even though this route already exists in TS Classic, it will have to be built completely from scratch to work in TSW. Not only that but the train models are built from scratch as well, granted with help from previous resources like TS Classic. Some sounds and audio files might be copied from TS but we should expect to see something different from the TS release.

• Like Like x 9
  27. solicitr

Hopefully it brings out the spark that ignited Sand Patch Grade, still IMO the best route in TSW.

All the more reason to follow up with a DLC of a GP7, or at least an SW7.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  28. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would love to see this be added as a DLC to Clinchfield

• Like Like x 3
  29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Would be great to have a switcher on Clinchfield and, of course, the SW7 is a perfect fit with the contemporaneous F7. Would create some fun activities around the Elkhorn and Dante yards.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Louis-MTA NYCTA

So true, We currently only have 1 American switcher, that being the MP15DC over on the Peninsula Corridor. Which is great in my opinion. It does add great and interesting extra services on Peninsula Corridor. It also completes Peninsula Corridor and it feels like an actual route in my opinion.

I am NOT counting the Amtrak SW1000R because this is not part of TSW 2, which is the most up to date version of TSW. It can be classified as legacy TSW content along with NEC New York unless it is updated and/or revamped.

Although seeing these classic SW7 switchers and GP7s added as DLC would really spice up Clinchfield with more extra services I presume.

• Like Like x 7
  31. solicitr

Besides, Clinchfield never had an MP15 (DC or AC) or SW1000. They had SW7s and even older NWs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Hopefully if it sells well they'll release both a mainline loco for substitutions (U36), and a switcher (SW7).

This has become my most anticipated route- can't wait!!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

They owned 6 EMD SW7's, 5 EMD NW2's and 1 EMD NW3.

SW7
    350bf1.jpg

NW2
    CRR358-1.jpg

NW3
    CRR361-1.jpg

But I think the NW2 is a more viable option over the SW7. As there are plenty of preserved and running NW2's, vs the SW7. I really cant find any info on any preserved or running SW7's. While the NW2's are more plentiful, and easier to track down.

The NW3 is too obscure to include, not to mention only 1 exists now.

• Like Like x 4
  34. matthewbguilford

Yes your right! Until we had the scenario planner. A switcher locomotive add on for this route is bound to happen!

• Like Like x 1
  35. solicitr

Only 7 were ever built, an oddball special order by the Great Northern: NW2s on stretched frames to accommodate road trucks, apparently for light hauling duties. When GN unloaded them in 1965, Clinchfield bought one.

Amazingly, although EMD built nearly 500 SW7s, only two remain: Burlington 9255 and Southern 8202. Neither running.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

There are still a handful of SW7s still operating it seems (mostly on private shortlines). As for the preserved ones, according to TheDieselShop site, there's only 2 that are museum owned:
    -CB&Q 9255 at the Illinois Railway Museum
    -and Southern 8202 at Southeastern Railway Museum
    So there is a chance to have an SW7 to be painted as Clinchfield if possible. Just a little more rarer than the NW2.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Crosstie

I certainly hope so; but you would have expected Sand Patch to have a switcher like an MP15 or SW1500 but no dice. So we ended up having to use big road switchers like the GP38 etc. I think all freight routes should come with a dedicated small switcher.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but I don't know of many places that still uses a dedicated switcher for yard work in modern times. (UP here uses Geeps while BNSF uses B40-8W's and ET44C4's)

Only real place I know would be the Union Railroad in Pittsburg, but dedicated switchers would be something that would make sense on an older route, not a modern one.
    c36858c533b2da212e1ad245ed4ae078.png

• Like Like x 3
  39. matthewbguilford

I certainly agree. Like you stated Sandpatch doesn’t have its own switcher, we finally just received shunters on the German routes that couldn’t be substituted and even made big parts of the track inaccessible for a long period of time. If not a switcher with freight routes at launch, I think having one planned as the first locomotive dlc for that route would be good as well. For example it would be great to get a switcher on Clinchfield just like SEHS is receiving the 465 a couple weeks after it’s launch.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

You are generally correct from what I understand, up until a few years ago under most circumstances the older hood units like the GP38-2 & SD40-2 were the main switcher units for most places. This is because their cabs are better for shunting than the safety cab units as you can see the ground easier from inside the cab. That largely still holds true now, but now with PSR they'll pretty much use whatever road power's available, which means newer power like ES44's are also pretty common choices these days.

While the big railroads still retain SW1500's & MP15's they are largely used on certain parts of the network which have tight curves which bigger units can't run on. A set of two BNSF SW1500's are regular sights around where I live because of a chemical plant and some storage tracks for that reason. But for Sand Patch there's no real need for a dedicated switcher for the route, the GP38-2's would be more commonly used for that purpose.

• Like Like x 4
  41. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well that's sad... it looks probably the coolest out of the three... a proper chonky switcher :D

• Like Like x 1
  42. Crosstie

So, bowing to those with more knowledge than me, I guess we can expect to see the old switchers only on historical or short lines. While it would be great to see an NW3 on Clinchfield, did the one they got from GN see much or any operational use before it was scrapped. As was said, an NW2 would be more likely, if DTG would ever consider modeling such a loco. Actually, if they do add a loco, it would probably be a GP7. Whatever, Clinchfield will be a milestone in TSW2 development.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

From the CRR roster, the NW3 (Ex-GN 5405) was bought from 1970. Then retired in Oct-1982. So pretty much it had a well operated run in its life.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Crosstie

Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  45. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

"The upcoming route extends from the railroad’s northern terminus and connection with the C&O at Elkhorn City, Kentucky, 35 main line route-miles to Dante, which served as the key point of CRR’s coal operations." Perhaps you could just do the math?

• Like Like x 1
  46. LastTrainToClarksville

The TS version of this route is excellent, but all of its rolling stock looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, whereas the images in Gary's article have that used-hard-and-put-away-wet, authentic look:
    [​IMG]
    While these are apparently photos, I'm hoping that the grit & grime show up in the route as well.

• Like Like x 4
  47. LastTrainToClarksville

And the "know-nothing" party chimes in again -- how dull.

• Like Like x 1
  48. matthewbguilford

I agree 100%. Whether you enjoy U.K. routes or German. This USA freight route will be a milestone for TSW2 as a whole!

• Like Like x 2
  49. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Great ideas for the switchers. But remember this route is being built with the 1970s-1980s setting. So all of these locomotives are possible. But I understand that not much remains of these historic switchers but photographs and a few statistics and you would need more resources besides photos to build these switchers to function correctly on TSW 2. I am sure some information lies out there on the internet but depending on where you look you might find very good information. No matter which switcher might get added they still are part of history and all served at a time when they were really useful. They are history now

Although the SW7, NW2 and NW3 all look fairly similar in size and looks. I really want a new switcher to use. Who knows when the MP15DC becomes livery designer compatible, Someone might try to make a Clinchfield livery for it and use it on the railway.

So as far as I can guess, the SW7 and NW2 seem like 2 very possible switcher add-ons for Clinchfield in the future.

When Clinchfield comes out it will be the first new U.S 100% freight route since Sand Patch Grade with the original game over 3 years ago.

One thing is for certain, Clinchfield is a great example of classic American freight railroading. In a bygone era of cabooses and heritage locomotives.

• Like Like x 3
  50. matthewbguilford

Yes exactly this. Clinchfield came as one of the three routes packed into TS21? How is Clinchfield received by the TS classic community?

• Like Like x 2