PC Windows 10 New Malware Protection - Allow Your Games To Write!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Feb 26, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

If you're on Windows 10, a recent updated rolled out a new malware protection which specifically stops unknown software from writing to particular places. It seems Microsoft think pretty much everything except their own software is "unknown" so if you've turned this on then you need to enable your games to write.

This will manifest in TSW2 as things like
    • unable to save progress
    • configuration/settings won't stick and revert
    • steam can't install new stuff
    You will hopefully find this Microsoft support article helpful https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-folders-b5b6627a-b008-2ca2-7931-7e51e912b034

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Well, does not seem to be effecting my setup since I use a third party protection software.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have not had this either as I use something else, but have printed off just in case something should change without my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Doesn’t seem to be affecting myself. I use Windows Defender alongside a 3rd party piece of software. Windows 10 fully updated too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

As the OP said, it's off by default. At least for now!

I've switched it on on my system (it's under the Ransomware Protection tab in Windows 10 settings).

You get a popup message when something 'new' (i.e. first run since you enabled the setting) has been blocked, which you can then allow through. After that it works silently with no problems.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. paul.pavlinovich

Yes raretrack is correct that it is off by default, I have turned it on because it is a good idea. I expect that once Microsoft gather more exception information from users they will likely turn it on by default in the future. It is better than detecting malicious software (do that too!) because it prevents writes that you don't excpect.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  7. ulf

ulf Member

This is odd. I have no problems at all with TSW2 and Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and MS Defender. I can save settings and scenarios and install mods.

8. paul.pavlinovich

Have you turned on the new anti ransomware protection? It is off by default. If you turn it on you'll need to do this.

9. ulf

ulf Member

No, I haven't and that explains why. Thanks! I use Acronis True Image and make regular backups of my system drive and that's a perfect protection from ransomware.

• Like Like x 1
  10. paul.pavlinovich

Backups are an awesome thing to do indeed

11. ranjith

ranjith New Member

I recently learned about this when I would install apps, and a pop-up would show up saying the app might not be safe and could cause harm to my computer. This started bothering me, and I searched online for a solution. I discovered that I can add apps to the list of allowed apps, so my computer won’t block them. I’m glad I found a solution because it started becoming annoying. I thought the cause might be that I bought one of those reddit windows keys that I thought malfunctioned. But as it turns out, the operating system works great, and the issue comes from Microsoft. Glad it’s fixable.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  12. MaxWalter

MaxWalter New Member

I totally get your frustration with the recent Windows malware protection update causing headaches for gamers.

13. TylerJohnson

TylerJohnson New Member

I've heard about this malware protection update on Windows 10 causing issues with games. It can indeed be frustrating when your games can't save progress or configurations. One possible solution is to check out the UE4 Dumper to help with game-related problems.
    For more detailed guidance on resolving these issues, you might want to visit GuidedHacking.com, where you can find useful tips and discussions from the gaming community. Hopefully, this will help you get your games back on track without too much hassle.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  14. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Post was from 2 years ago