Chicago "l"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ZeenozPlays, Dec 30, 2020.

1. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I would like to see Metra too, but there are some differences between Metra and CTA that make Metra more complicated

CTA employs all of the train operators and owns all of the rolling stock and tracks that carry them. Metra is not that simple. Most track they run on are owned by other companies, UP and BNSF to name a couple and the train crews may also be employed by those companies (they still even use some Burlington Northern gallery cars). So you would likely need licensing from all of the entities involved. I don’t know how all the red tape works though. My avatar is an old Chicago and Northwestern (bought out by UP) Gallery Car.

The oldest cars CTA uses now are the 2600s. Many of these cars have very minute differences. So minute that everything from the 2000 to 3200 series were compatible to be consisted together. This was convenient after ADA came into effect as 2000 and 2200 series had “blinker” doors that folded inward when open and were too narrow for wheelchairs, etc. so they had to be ran with later models that had sliding doors and larger doorways. The 5000 (and 7000) use AC traction while everything older uses DC so cannot be mixed.

Another thing about CTA that works well with TSW is that all trains are crewed solely by the train operator since the mid 90s when they did away with conductors. So just like TSW, the train operator runs the train and opens and closes doors at all stops.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

If they did an old train, I would want a 6000 series. They do occasionally run older trains for excursions, etc.

3. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Just a few things to note. I don’t personally care for the 7000 series so hopefully we’d get a 3200 as well. I’d also like to see them figure out train announcements since the door closing sound is very unique. Finally, if they’re doing only the red, brown and purple lines, the loop would be very dead, since only the brown line and occasionally the purple line would run there. I’d suggest they do AI trains simulating all of the other lines, even if we can’t use them.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

Definitely Agree