Why Doesn’t Dtg Utilise All Of Their Available Assets And Features?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 3, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As the title says, why does DTG create brand new assets and features for one route, but it won’t be utilised again in newer routes? Instead they’ll use an older, more generic looking asset and not utilise features again.

Surely you have access to all of your available assets from the asset library, which you can quickly search for. If this isn’t the case, why not?

The latest DLC, SEHS, seems to lack quite a few of these available assets and features.

To elaborate, I will make a list below of some details which aren’t consistent in all routes, despite it being a great addition as well as making the route feel more authentic.

Inconsistencies:
    - Graffiti. GWE had some (lovely) graffiti tags on various parts of the routes. Most noticeably under bridges and on the approach to Paddington. There seems to be a distinct lack of graffiti in SEHS.
    - Wet platform texture. What is happening with this? It seems to be a yo-yo type effect as to whether a route will receive this feature or not.
    - Track types. WSR and NTP utilises rusty looking, jointed track. Why is this not used in modern routes, in the yards and sidings? Instead, pristine, continuous welded rail is used instead. There’s no variety.
    - Foliage and weeds. This is something which definitely lacks in SEHS. Specifically in yards and open areas. It’s just a plain, bland texture.

Platform assets/small details:
    - LED platform lights. Again, something that was used in the past on older routes (GWE/BKL), but now they just use one, generic looking light. Despite newer stations having them in real life.
    - Platform benches. The BKL uses some great looking benches on the Underground stations. However they have seemed to reverted to using the default assets, which pre-dates from Kuju days from Train Simulator.
    - P.A speakers. The BKL features the more modern looking, round speakers at some stations. Yet the default option is to use the BR looking style, horn type speaks.

Some of these items are probably nit-picking, but I really do think DTG need to put more effort in utilising their current library of assets, as well as maintaining the features they have and continuing to add and improve things.

• Like Like x 34
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

And also not utilising features like Next-Gen Builds

3. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Some yards do have rusty looking rails in SEHS..... although thinking about it I think it’s just Hoo Yard that has it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I still think the GWE is still one if not the best looking routes for TSW. I certainly don't feel that route building has moved forward, basically the routes are very nice and there are nice touches, on SEHS for example the signal call boxes, but I wouldn't say it is better than GWE. If anything there are more glitches like being able to see the bottom of houses at the top of an embankment. I think Munich to Ausburg is an exception.

The only asset DTG seems to like reusing is a certain DMU!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  5. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Well said- If these are implemented in future routes, it's going to look so much better.

6. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I would agree, it became quite obvious as well in the LGV, with unfitting trees, lighting, huge patches of singular terrain textures...
    And I too would exclude Munich Augsburg, this I really liked visually, though I did not go in detail looking at it as Londonmidland did with Sehs.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I won't judge about the detail in the route, but in my opinion GWE is one of the most boring routes in the game, with a straight 4-track railway through a flat landscape that's best enjoyed at 125mph :P

But GWE did come with a very nice selection of trains. No other DLC has had such a nice selection of trains as GWE did. P

• Like Like x 2
  8. theorganist

I agree it isn't the most exciting but there are many aspects of being a train driver which presumably aren't. I would have liked to see it extended so we can stretch the legs of the HST more, it is over too quickly, the run to Bristol through Bath is a more interesting section, well past Swindon anyway.

The stock is nice, especially the HST, I won't say what I think of class 66's. I prefer the selection with NTP but I have more interest in that era.

However take RS/RW/TS1, look at the original GWML route for Rail Simulator, for example then look at some of the routes from a couple of years later you can see some vast improvements in looks and textures.

Maybe TSW set too high a standard in the first place!

• Like Like x 3
  9. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Because the less time and effort they can spend making the route the better for them, we all know how DTG works...

10. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this one as well. But I think this is the case: SEHS and the LGV were built at the same time by different teams. As the LGV-Team experimented with that feature and were able to build that into the route, the SEHS was so heavily in development that they would have to rebuild/change so much that the release of SEHS would have been pushed back even further. I am convinced the next DTG-Route will have this implemented. But it was probably just 'too late' to use this tech on SEHS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

As UE 4.23 dont support PS5 and new Xbox than whats the point to do Next-Gen Builds ?

• Like Like x 2
  12. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

It isnt that, its that SEHS was originally slated for launch in LGVs place (and LGV in January presumably) but LGV whizzed ahead (literally) and the wet platforms couldn't be added to SEHS for some reason

• Like Like x 1
  13. matinakbary

May be, any proof for that?

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Certainly all the houses/buildings in Peninsula Corridor look like old Kuju assets; if not, they're no improvement.

15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This is another example of dtg being very inconsistent. It's not really a suprise but at the same time it is annoying that one route can be done well whilst the other feels clearly rushed. You would think if it's raining that the platforms would be wet in above ground stations for all the routes or at least the newer routes after lgv. I do agree with your final statement because if your gonna make new things to add on one route, those features should apply to future routes to improve them even more. It would improve immersion

16. tallboy7648

Wait really, UE 4.23 doesn't support PS5 and Xbox? I thought it would since the game works with next gen consoles

17. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

Do we need to buy TSW 3 then?
    How about UE5.0?

• Like Like x 1
  19. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Right now its working because PS5 can play PS4 games too, the same with xbox.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

They said that the UE4.26 upgrade is not coming as a paid upgrade. What will actually happen, is yet to see

• Like Like x 1
  21. londonmidland

The abysmal scenery on SEHS is for an entirely new thread, but is DTG actually going to acknowledge this question or are they going to pretend everything is okay and keep quiet?

• Like Like x 3
  22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

One example is the "new" animated grade crossings introduced in SEHS. (I don't yet have the route, so I'm going by the streams.) The impression we were given and hence the expectation is that we would see these in all future routes. And I'm pretty sure that the water texture was another improvement in SEHS which I would expect to see in upcoming routes, at least those made in-house.

• Like Like x 2
  23. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Here we are 4 years later asking the same questions - I think we both know the answer mate. Self-imposed limitations and lack of effort.

• Like Like x 4
  24. tallboy7648

Yeh the backwards compatiablity. I almost forgot about that lol

25. tallboy7648

They'll probably acknowledge it in private but won't have the guts to do it in the forums and keep quiet. I suspect scenery will get some improvements especially the completely incorrect and clearly rushed hs1 fencing

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

This is most likely the case to be honest. It's a shame dtg be doing that to themselves and opens themselves to clearly justified negative reviews

• Like Like x 1
  27. tallboy7648

Those features would probably come to future routes. They should to be honest.

28. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

How much effort does it take to create new assets? It just seems to me that DTG aren't making any, either because it's too "expensive" or simply because of the time constraints involved in developing a route etc.

29. londonmidland

Ironically they're spending development time and money to create these assets yet they only utilise it in one or two routes? They seem to be drawn to use the default, generic (incorrect) looking assets, some of which actually dates from Kuju days and is imported from Train Simulator.

Train Sim World has so much potential, as well as it being graphically impressive, however sometimes I feel like banging my head against the desk because some of the (stupid) decisions they make.

To put it simply, its like buying a Ferrari but only driving it at a max speed of 30mph.

• Like Like x 2
  30. londonmidland

A classic example of DTG's inconsistencies.

Below shows the disused station of Bishopstone Beach Halt, located on the Seaford branch on the East Coastway line. As you can see, it actually looks properly disused:
    20210303223511_1.jpg

Now we have, what is supposed to look like, the disused station at Rochester... Can someone please tell me why they have used a PRISITINE looking platform asset, with not a hint of dirt, despite having the disused platform assets available in their library?!
    20210303223914_1.jpg

This is what Rochester's old platforms look like in real life:
    dscn0837.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  31. tallboy7648

My word. You would think an abandoned Rochester station that closed several years ago would look grimy and a bit worn out but the fact that isn't the case is just odd especially if the assets are there. DTG really do make stupid decisions at times

32. theorganist

They do something really well on one hand then do something which is baffling on the other. There is no consistency, one one hand they take trouble with small details and then they don't. On one route they want to create realistic rolling stock and then on another, they don't.

• Like Like x 3
  33. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I believe the leadership is a complete mess, being ran like a rudderless ship. The roadmap mess is a testament to that also, they clearly struggle to communicate and cooperate.

Edited by DTG Natster

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  34. matinakbary

This is more than inappropriate and not funny at all.

• Like Like x 6
  35. theorganist

I have to agree that did seem a little tasteless

• Like Like x 4
  36. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, way over the line. Deserves at least a reprimand from the Moderator.

• Like Like x 2
  37. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Out of interest....... Could the modders use the disused platform textures from ECW and put them on the Rochester platforms in SEHS?

• Like Like x 1
  38. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

BR125 I have edited your message slightly to keep in on topic, and to avoid the discussion derailing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. tallboy7648

I agree

• Like Like x 1
  40. tallboy7648

The modders probably could. They seem to do better at those things then dtg which is odd.

41. londonmidland

Unfortunately the old Rochester Station doesn’t have dedicated assets, and instead just uses generic looking assets from other areas. So if you want to make it looks disused, all the stations along the route will look the same as it shares the same texture.

I think you can edit the splines, but that is out of my expertise.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

• Like Like x 3
  43. tallboy7648

• Like Like x 1
  44. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Maybe the use of their new terrain and scenery auto-generating tool can't work with too many asset models and they were pleased enough with the result that they haven't touched much manually after being generated by the algorithms.

45. londonmidland

This is more for another thread but this implies that perhaps they’re becoming too reliant on auto-gen and aren’t manually touching up the rest of the scenery, as they previously did.

• Like Like x 1
  46. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It is strange because in the previous LGV route (where they also used the auto-generating tool) you can find beautifully detailed abandoned platforms as you can see below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  47. londonmidland

erg73 Wow, that looks great! I love the attention to detail and rubbish on the underpass.

Its just a shame that SEHS was rushed in so many different areas. It could've been a great route but I avoid HS1 and the 395 at all costs because they're just not up to scratch.

• Like Like x 4
  48. tallboy7648

That does look cool. I think that proves dtg have the assets but clearly rushed sehs in a lot of areas including the abandoned Rochester Station which is a real shame

• Like Like x 1
  49. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

You're right. It's not my favorite route either, but it's probably the best made one. Makes sense, considering it was their first add-on for TSW. And Sand Patch Grade as well. They set a high standard with those first two routes - there are many small details and overall they are really well polished.

Sadly most if not all routes that came after them couldn't reach that standard.

• Like Like x 2