Great Western 1970's Pack Stats Now In Steamdb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

To my simple mind at least, that's where they seem to have missed a trick with this 'experiment'. If they want to see how recycled stock flies off the shelf, I'd have ponied up some good money for either one of those routes, even if it did mean purchasing in part at least, stock that I've already purchased once before. What I am struggling to come up with any justification for sticking my hand in my pocket for though is stumping up to use stock that I already have on a route that I already have, new timetable or not.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I only go for UK routes (can't afford the others) and really came to TSW2 for the GWE pack and was wondering what they did to the other two thirds of the route.
    Then they announced this 70's great Legends pack only that the trains are out of place, the route and stations (again only a 1/3) are all modern and they are missing out the 117 and the HST! What is the '70's' referring to?
    This kind of stunt is pulled by Bethesda all the time so it is disappointing that DTG is stooping to that level. I was so looking forward to this, it is so frustrating, Colonel Failure has said on stream that DTG will do long routes if they are interesting, Paddington to Bristol (and even South Wales) is interesting no? Seems like a cop out to me.
    After learning all this I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole but if these trains are RailDriver compatible then I might get it in a sale. What a lost opportunity.

• Like Like x 5
  3. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for the link, I downloaded the reskins but cant think for the life of me where they are supposed to be installed, do I just drop the pak files in each of the respective folders for the locos and carriages, I am a bit reluctant to just experiment in case I muck somthing up?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

If there PAK files just drop them into this directory
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC
    to uninstall just remove the file

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. davejc64

Ok thanks, have done that now, am I right in that they completely replace the original livery, so only the BR blue versions are available?

• Like Like x 1
  6. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Correct

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

yes, you could make a 'disabled mods' folder and place it in dlc or paks, and place the .pak in there if you want to temporarily disable a mod or repaint.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Or, easier still, you can attach a fake file tag to the end, so that supermod.pak becomes, e.g., supermod.pak.bak or supermod.pak.off - the game will just ignore it until you remove the "neutering" tag.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

yes they do because DTG havent made the Class 52 available in livery editor yet. Once available that will change.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

HST's werent around in the early 70's not until 1976 that's why aren't in the pack

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Neither were blue and grey class 101's, or class 101's in general in the Paddington area so surely it doesn't matter? If it is set in the early 70's then the class 08 should have its pre-tops number i.e 3xxx or 4xxx not 08xxx.

Also pre-1976 the 101 would also be showing a headcode.

Either they are trying to create something realistic or they aren't, or is it some halfway house fudge?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

We know it's this hence the OHLE etc

• Like Like x 2
  13. theorganist

Well yes I know, but it would be more believable if the liveries of the stock included matched the era it is supposed to be representing!

If it is a 70's pack make it look like one or market it as a "motley selection of stock which vaguely represents operations somewhere on BR at some time between 1968 and 1992"!

• Like Like x 4
  14. ARuscoe

I agree. We shall see tomorrow what the pack holds fully.

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

Yes I shall watch whilst hiding behind the sofa!

• Like Like x 2
  16. dhekelian

Are you saying a fully electrified line is more believable than having HST's in the pack?

• Like Like x 4
  17. theorganist

It seems odd how having an icon like the HST in the pack is wrong when they did just about work alongside the Westerns, yet have a DMU in the incorrect livery for the period and not having worked in the area during the period raises few eyebrowns!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhekelian

Yeah lol. I thought the pack was a 70's pack not an early 70's one but even with the HST it is more relevant than some of the other stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davejc64

Yeah they may surprise us and include a class 117 DMU instead.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theorganist

I think that would surpass any surprises in the history of DTG.

If they do, all over rail blue please!

• Like Like x 1
  21. ARuscoe

I tend not to speculate so I shall await 8PM tonight

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

I think your eyebrows have more than compensated for any lack of a concerted eyebrow raising by others :)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I've missed something, haven't I? What's happening tonight?

• Like Like x 2
  24. ARuscoe

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. theorganist

Lol I wasn't sure if anyone had noticed!

Well I saw the good things which resulted in changes made to SEHS after people complained so I thought well I might as well voice my concerns, not that I expect them to result in any action as I think I am on a one man mission!

• Like Like x 1
  26. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

there would've been some sort of achievements with it and we know what the achievements will be already

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

We know the ones that have been posted on Steam. Other than that we don't have a release date or anything else as yet. Things can be changed...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

highly unlikely to from previous releases, but possible.

29. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Painful listening to Sam and Matt try and justify both the existence of this pack as well as the inaccuracies and general re-tread of content that it is. This just reeks of something thought up by a number cruncher somewhere. $22 for a poorly conceived skin and scenario pack. Yikes.

• Like Like x 6
  30. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I don’t agree, they are saying it as it is and not trying to make out like it’s something else.

They even explained it’s just something they whipped up whilst they had a little gap in their schedule. What’s the problem with that?

I won’t buy it as I own most of the engines all ready but it looks really cool and I hope it does well.
    I can imagine if you don’t own NTP or TVL and want a spin in some old diesels then it will provide a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 5
  31. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very easy I won’t buy it

• Like Like x 6
  32. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

They're saying that this is an experiment to see how these gameplay packs will work, but aren't they just setting themselves up for failure by charging £15 for 3 trains that are already in the game?

• Like Like x 4
  33. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

That’s why it’s an experiment.

£15 is clearly what they’ve decided is worth their time. If it sells well then they’ll do more, if not they probably won’t bother. I hope it sells well.

More variety and choice through the game will bring in more players and then DTG can put more time and money into the route DLC’s.

• Like Like x 7
  34. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

At £11.99 I was a little bit tempted. Whilst it was all stock I own, and wasn't hugely prototypical (a 101 in the wrong livery, on a route it didn't run, on a route that didn't fit the era), the new timetable could have tempted me.

£14.99 is just too much. Unless DTG offer some kind of loyalty discount (I'd suggest 25% off if you own NTP, and 25% if you own the 52) then this will be a 50% off purchase for me. It's a crying shame as I want to be tempted by the content that DTG produce, but they make it incredibly difficult.

• Like Like x 5
  35. dhekelian

I thought better of DTG, clearly I was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

£14.99?? I was genuinely expecting less than £10. This is an easy pass for me.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  37. theorganist

They would have been better making it a 1980's pack. The 101 is in its late 80's state, the set numbers on the unit on the stream didn't exist till the Reading allocation in 1988. If they had made a BR HST (which would need new sounds) and included the 47 not the 52 that would have been more realistic.

It seems a small handful of class 101's were blue and grey in the 70's, probably about ten sets. These were Western region sets used on cross country services in the West Country, they were blue and grey to match the cross country class 119 and 120 sets. So in theory a blue and grey class 101 could have been seen between Reading and Paddington if it had somehow worked through from Cardiff, Bristol or Plymouth, the likelihood which is vanishingly small. Certainly all local DMU's between Reading and Paddington would have been all over blue and of course not class 101's.

However having scores of four car and six car class 101's in blue and grey running stopping services between Paddington and Reading alongside a class 52 is definitely the work of fiction and not believable.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

The HST wouldn't be that easy they need to change the interios the headligths,physics the engine sounds

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. theorganist

I did mention sounds, but yes it would need some exterior and interior modifications.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

For selling it as a new locomotive pack, I should hope so.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  41. cspencer553.cs

cspencer553.cs Member

Hi all quick question does anyone know how much of old oak common yard this pack opens up ?

• Like Like x 1
  42. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

None that wasn't already. The route is vanilla GWE, no changes.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

What this pack needs.....

1. Class 47 in large loco BR livery.
    2. Mk 1 GUV, CCT in BR blue for parcel workings.
    3. Class 117 DMU in BR Blue with full cab front lights.
    4. Mk 1 sleeper coach.
    5. Class 08, 52 that’s good.
    6. Class 50.
    7. Period wagons for variety.

• Like Like x 5
  44. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

I agree why can’t they do a class 117 DMU, I don’t mind waiting but I would love to see one.

• Like Like x 1
  45. LucasLCC

I'm now waiting for them to do a Class 117 DMU DLC, at an additional £11.99...

• Like Like x 3
  46. theorganist

Of course as all 74 Westerns are included that would date the pack as pre 1973 as that is when they started to withdrawn them which means the rest of the pack and the layered extras are using completely unsuitably modelled traction. However I know it isn't supposed to be accurate (I am not being sarcastic there) so it doesn't matter.

Bottom line for me, nice idea but with a bit more thought and research they could have created something which would appeal to those who don't care about such things and BR blue bores like myself who would have accepted the deficiencies.

• Like Like x 3
  47. theorganist

I got the feeling from last nights stream that Matt seemed to accept the 117 was the correct DMU and that maybe the 101 was inaccurate after all.

I don't think they will make a class 117 personally unless sales of this pack were high enough for them to justify it.

• Like Like x 2
  48. LucasLCC

Sadly I think you're right and it's unlikely to appear anytime soon (if ever).

It's a real shame, as if this pack included a 117 I'd be more than happy to pay the £14.99 asking price. It would bring a new loco with a lot of services, definitely worth more than a normal loco with a few services and a few scenarios.

I'd kind of accepted that this pack would have been the usual £11.99 and was a bit tempted. However the asking price just seems a little too high for me. I'm quite torn it is safe to say...

• Like Like x 3
  49. theorganist

I was more torn than I thought I would be, especially when I saw there were three car class 101's as the screenshot I saw just showed two car ones. The 52 looked and sounded good to be fair. But I will buy the class 465 instead and I have a shopping list of steam locomotives for TS1!

I never thought I would choose to purchase a "modern" EMU for a modern route over a 1970's Western region route pack, but there you go!

• Like Like x 3
  50. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Now that is what I'd call a 1970's pack! Except maybe for the large logo? Wasn't that introduced in the 1980's? Also add some Mk2e/f's and a couple of buffet cars.

• Like Like x 3