PC Ne Corridor: Speed Limits

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hairyotter, Mar 24, 2018.

1. hairyotter

hairyotter New Member

I am thoroughly confused. The speed limits on NEC change more often than on a swiss highway. However, on the Swiss highways you always know what the speed limit is, there are plenty of signs.

How do real engineers know ?
    In GWE at least you can download the official route guide from the real railroad website and you know what to expect, but on NEC ?

Thank you
    Marco

2. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I will admit that this section has quite a few speed limit changes. In order to be qualified on the territory, real engineers must memorize them.

Also, a lot of the speed limits are wrong. I am compiling a list of incorrect speed limits to send to DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The train will tell you the seed limits, and help you to slow down with a braking curve. Am I right, Cactus?

4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yes, but that's only if ACSES is functional. ACSES is NOT a replacement for engineer knowledge of speed limits. This is made very clear in the employee timetable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

For those who don't know, as I didn't until I saw these messages and then checked the user's manual again, ATC and ACSES, along with Alerter, are covered on pages 13-16 of that document. After reading those pages, I think I'm more confused than convinced, but experimenting with these safety systems while running a train may clear up things for me -- or not.

Those rapidly changing speed limits do cause confusion and, sometimes, panic: especially those that appear in the HUD only to be replaced by another without the former ever taking effect -- see what I mean?

Finally, I'd like to know why the speed limit changes so frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Well it matters if you have ATC and ACSES on. With those systems on, you'll notice the cab signal changing erratically which forces you to conform to a lot of different speed limits. If we are just strictly talking speed limits (100 on this tangent, 45 on this curve, then 70 on this tangent, 60 on this curve, etc) then that's normal.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yesterday, without caring about completing the run, I opened one of the ACS-64 sessions and activated the ATC and ACSES systems. (Hint: these systems are not active while doors are open: no matter how many times you press CTRL-ENTER, they won't activate until you close the doors.) Never having used these systems before led to my first mistake: I closed in on the in-cab indicator instead of keeping my eyes on both it and the tracks ahead. I'm still not fully in tune with these driving aids, but found operating a passenger run much more intriguing with them on: the experience was more intense, but, I think anyway, for a good reason. My intention is to carry out more of this "training" (pun intended, of course) before tackling a scenario while using it. As for the Alerter, I also activated that once and once was more than enough. Perhaps I'll give it a chance again after gaining more confidence with ATC and ACSES.