Great Western 1970's Pack Stats Now In Steamdb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Feb 5, 2021.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I think large logo blue came out around 1981, mainly for the class 50's and 56's at first. Certainly by 1986 a large amount of class 47/4's had received it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From this can I deduce that you believe that services, scenarios and timetables are free, that you'd be happy to get routes and assets with nothing to do with them, that everything can be done with scenario planner?

Not one comment above seems to give any weight to the work undertaken to plan and make the timetable, that we have a new feature in the core game in multiple timetables and that this DOES add something to GWE we haven't had before in loco hauled services that need hauling back and forth from the depot etc

I agree they've missed the mark by not having ANY new consists in this pack, and that at £15 it's overpriced, but let's actually be realistic and say that there are things in this pack that have some worth, if not what we would want as a community of people who want more and more trains (and seemingly little else from the comments above)

Personally I'll wait for a sale and then get the pack, mainly for the shunting and various stock movements

• Like Like x 9
  3. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Finally. Thank you so much for mentioning this. While this may not appeal to everyone's taste of content, this above is worth mentioning. It IS a new core feature that could be implemented to new routes from the beginning. People who have reasons to not buy this product - don't buy it. That's fine. Give contructive feedback - good. But all this bashing and "DTG is lazy", "It's a cashgrab" etc.. I'm so tired of reading this.

It is new Gameplay, with over 200 services, 10 (?) scenarios, new core feature and livery editor compability. Also: If you don't own these locos, 15 pound is a damn good price for all of this. It almost certainly is not worth it, if you own all the locos already. But if you don't - it's an awesome deal.

• Like Like x 6
  4. theorganist

I own the loco's and would have found it worth it if it was more realistic. I have no problem with the price as it would add so many extra services. I don't think DTG is lazy, but I think they have missed a trick here.

• Like Like x 6
  5. ARuscoe

Let's do some maths
    Even without new consists, 200 services, let's say an average of 20 minutes each at a conservative estimate, that's 0.4p per minute of available play time without repeat.
    So you're not getting a new loco or consist, but there is still SOME value there.

• Like Like x 8
  6. ARuscoe

Yep, they should've waited for the loco team to be available and done the right commuter passenger loco and then the price would be about right for me on day one

• Like Like x 5
  7. ade4472

ade4472 Member

The easy way around this would be a different section of GWR say Exeter St.David’s-Plymouth/Paignton and Exmouth branch line which if I remember used to 101 and then they could have chucked an old coat of paint on HST blue/grey and added a 50 and port the blue 47 which would have made far more sense.
    If anyone from Dovetail really does read these forums I would like to point out that most people playing TSW 2 probably have bought all the released packs thus far and their preserved locos which equate for a fair few £££’s. When this “NEW” dlc comes out I won’t buy it as it doesn’t represent value nor improve the enjoyability of the game. So perhaps a good way forward would be sell individual loco / dmu / emu etc dlc and concentrate on route sections that anyone can put any loco on. That way, if it’s done right with the correct releasing people could choose the routes they buy and the motive power and then in that case they can run their 101 on any route and you wouldn’t get stick for it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

For one service... that they have to make...
    If all you want is locos, then don't buy the pack. Sam said that for over an hour on repeat on stream

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, maybe this thread needs to be left to fall silently away into the forgotten areas of the forum. We all know that the stats are in Steamdb and we know what's coming so we don't need the speculation anymore.

R.I.P. "Great Western 1970's Pack Stats Now In Steamdb". You weren't the best but we read you anyway, it's time to go to sleep, we will never forget you. :(

10. ade4472

ade4472 Member

No I want diversity in routes. So far there is no Wales and West routes. There are multiple northern scenarios and London K

• Like Like x 2
  11. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I think Colonel Failure was missing the point where he kept saying if it doesn't appeal do not buy it. The Great Western route is popular and people would love to see more added to it but in a relevant way, what happened to immersion?

I know they said they couldn't alter any routes but Instead of doing just a third of the GW route they could of done it from Reading to Bristol or even South Wales.

Then they were saying this pack was for the people who didn't have those trains and then they went on saying you have to buy half dozen other packs to just get this one which included some of those trains anyway.

If they had just concentrated on one train, 117, and had AP do the sounds it would sell like the 465. I'm sure many like theorganist, me and others would have bought this pack if it had. I just hope that if this pack does not sell well the Great Western route will not be forgotten.

• Like Like x 3
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Had AP do the sounds." AP only provides raw sound recordings. What matters is the mixing, not the sound files- and AP doesn't do that for DTG. The 465 mixing was done in-house.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

AP has made some sounds for his first generation DMU sound pack for TS1. They have the distinctive exhaust rasp of the 117 but I haven't actually compared the engine sounds to see if they are different to the 101, having seen the files I don't think they are. The 117 did use different engines if I recall.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dhekelian

solicitr, perhaps then could explain when AP is involved we get brilliant sounds but when they aren't (bar the 166) the sounds are lifeless in some routes. What happened to the 'mixing' with the 395?

If it all comes down to Raw sound files and the quality of them it seems a reasonable to think that AP are better at it than DTG otherwise why would DTG use them?

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It doesn't, except to the extent AP has a library of sounds that DTG doesn't possess in-house (hence the annoying re-use of generic sound files, some from TS1).
    DTG didn't have their new sound engineer at the time, or at least not until within a week of release (and after the notorious stream).

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Pretty certain the 101's were primarily AEC engines whereas the 117's used BUT Leyland engines. In latter years I believe some of the 101's got retrofitted with Leyland's. There was some difference in engine note both internal and external between the two types, AEC engines being more "whiny" for want of a better description.

• Like Like x 2
  17. theorganist

Ah okay thanks for that. I am sure there were 101's with Leyland engines as well as the AEC ones. I will listen to both the AP 101 and 117 sounds and see if they are different.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dhekelian

I'm sure Matt said the new Audio guy was someone they trained up and only for the preserved routes so didn't work on the 465 for example. I think that is right, correct me if I am wrong.