Kyūshū Shinkansen (hakata - Kumamoto)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jo_Kim, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

2021-03-06 21.41.19 www.openstreetmap.org 31216fa16495.jpg
    Wikipedia Article
    Since the release of TSW2 we've got multiple high-speed lines. But which country is famous for its vast network of high-speed lines? That's right, Japan. This is the Kyūshū Shinkansen in the southwest of the country. With a length of roughly 100km between Hakata and Kumamoto and seven stations alongside it, this is the perfect route for TSW. 260km/h is by far not the fastest the Shinkansen are able to go but it is enough for this line.

Quick Facts:

Length: 98,2km
    Max. Speed: 260km/h
    Signaling System: Japanese Light Signals
    Safety System: KS-ATC

Route:
    (no cab-ride videos could be found for this line)

The section between Hakata and Kumamoto was part of the extension from Shin-Yatsushiro to Hakata, which was opened in 2011. This line is used by three services. The Mizuho service is the fastest and only stops at Hakata and Kumamoto. The Sakura service skips some stops on this line but services all stations south of Kumamoto. And finally, the Tsubame service stops at every station and terminates at Kumamoto. The route runs along the west coast of Kyūshū through a very mountainous region. Therefore the route runs largely on bridges and through tunnels.

Stations:
    Distance | Station
    00,0km Hakata
    26,3km Shin-Tosu
    32,0km Kurume
    47,9km Chikugo-Funagoya
    59,8km Shin-Ōmuta
    76,3km Shin-Tamana
    98,2km Kumamoto

Rolling Stock:
    800 series
    [​IMG]

N700-7000 series
    [​IMG]

N700-8000 series
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  2. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I would be happy for anything with the N700 in it.

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely like it and speaking of N700 Shinkansen it can fit into an American DLC Texas Central Dallas-Fort Worth Houston. This American WFAA Report mentions JR Central/West which actually owns N700-7000 & N700-8000 trains

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would be happy for anything Japanese - rekindle the memory of playing various Densha de Go games many years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

N700 is JR Central's product - but they've also been sold to JR West and JR Kyushu, so are widespread across the Western Shinkansen network.

I think I'd rather have the N700 has the bundled train and the 800 as an optional DLC - there are only eight 800s in service (9 built, one written off after derailing in an earthquake) and that'll probably be a better way to replicate the mix of services

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  6. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

This is really tough to think about because the 800 is the gem of the route and an icon of the entire railway system in Kyushu. I would find it odd for the route to be presented with the N700 only. I would prefer the 800 only if just 1 locomotive is able to be given.
    It might be advisable for the N700 could first be provided on a route elsewhere, then both the 800 and the N700 in the JR Kyushu scheme. Both the JR Kyushu 800 and N700 could also then layer on to that route if it is along a JR West line. But its a tough call overall.

Lets be generous and say all 9 800s can be used; It is still outnumbered by the 11 N700s in JR Kyushu's fleet.
    The services are also divided in such a way that only 800s run the Tsubame services, and only N700 run the Mizuho, but they both share the Sakura services. So lets say they're is just the 800; There wouldn't be enough to run all the Tsubame and Sakura services because the Sakura services are shared. Likewise with the N700 and the Mizuho and Sakura services.

But a solution could be that because these trains travel all the way from Osaka; that does mean only a reduced amount of the total fleet of JR Kyushu trains should be within the 100km range of the route at any one time. So you could use some trickery so that even with just 9 800s all patterns are represented if you allow them to return to the route as soon as they exit it.
    It does mean that there is an abnormal frequency of just the one type, and if you care about the numbers and special liveries that there could be some immersion effecting déjà vu.

7. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Which train should be included with this route depends if there will be more Shinkansen routes.
    If this will be the only one (at least for a longer time) I think the N700 should be included and the 800 should be a DLC.
    If there will be more Shinkansen routes the 800 should be included and the N700 either be a DLC, a layer from another route, or included in with this route and be layered on other routes. The last one is my favorite, you'll get diversity with just one route but are able to include other classes with other routes which are not present on the Kyūshū Shinkansen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

I would love to see actually the Sanyo Shinkansen line pre 2010 when the 500 series did run on Nozomi services as a 16 car W1 to W9 units.

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

It's on the PS4/PS5 provided you get the latest version. Therefore our train Sim World 2020 and train simulator world 2 PlayStation Community has a choice of this one and the Japanese Densha De Go Games. N700 Shinkansen on this route can go onto an American high speed Railway route that is the Texas Central system or California High-Speed Rail.

10. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

I came across this video that seems to have IRL footage of the section between Shin-Yatsushiro and Kagoshima Chuo, overlaid with dash graphics:

11. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

The shinkansen is so unique, I hope it's only a matter of time until this appears on the roadmap.