Train Sim World 2 - Western Glory

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 23, 2021.

1. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would prefer they continue to build upon the modern era GWE route. For example, for locos they could add the 800, 387, or even the new TFL rail trains. In terms of extensions, DTG could add all the short branch lines to add some diversity to the services or even extend the route to Oxford using the existing services. All that probably won't happen since GWE was literally the first route DLC for the TSW franchise and is showing it's age. The focus at DTG is likely on the future.

• Like Like x 9
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

With all the requests I've seen for a modern fully electrified gwe route with the 800s, 387s and tfl rail, I'm suprised that there are no plans to make it. It would seem a popular idea and a missed oppertunity by not doing it

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The only way I see them doing the 800 for GWR is if they make a standalone TSW2 version of the route. And I don't see that happening considering that would greatly annoy many people who already own the original route. I think it's way more likely to see it included with a new route, probably the LNER version for a modern portion of the ECML.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

Dtg have said that they are open to extensions but they just need to get the tech in so once that's in then hopefully route expansions will come soon

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

Of course it would have to be a standalone route. It could be a much longer version of the current gwe route we have to justify the price. I would buy it personally

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The GWE is a popular route but it baffled me why is stopped at Reading, that is barely a third of the total route. I was expecting Bristol Temple Meads at least and hoping for South Wales. They keep saying on streams that they are open to doing longer routes if they are interesting, does that mean past Reading it stops becoming Interesting?

• Like Like x 5
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Wait, so what's missing from the timetable at launch??

Also why is so much important info ONLY released on the streams??? This seems to happen more and more- very frustrating IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I guess it's the freight services that were ready, but missed a deadline for inclusion and will follow "shortly" after launch, if you have the required dlc.
    I agree, they discuss important things on the streams that don't always make it onto the forums or the website.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the freight services that are missing on release.

Important information should always be made accessible, however DTG struggle to do this. A lot of players don't wish to watch long streams, or in some cases are simply unable to. Whilst I watch streams that are of interest to me, it wouldn't be the first time some important information has been mentioned in a completely different stream...

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sam did say on the stream that relevant information about what DLC adds different service lavers and substitutions would be published (on the website or forum) before launch so that everyone knows what to expect before they purchase, along with info about the freight layer. He made a note to do it.

I try to make sure I watch all the streams because it is the best source of information, which shouldn’t really be the case. It’s hard to remember as well because you can’t refer back to it at any time without going through the whole stream to find out one snippet you are after. I’m not going to watch a stream more than once.

• Like Like x 4
  11. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

I might be tempted into getting this, but only once there is a mod that hides the centenary assets. Otherwise, it's too much of an anachronism for me. Maybe DTG could also make that mod an enable it automatically on the 1970s timetable (would certainly be a bit technically involved, but not impossible).

• Like Like x 1
  12. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they didn't make it longer because it was their first UK route on TSW and wanted to put more detail into it so they made it just to Reading and made the route more detailed and with 3 trains to drive

• Like Like x 1
  13. gibsonaj67

gibsonaj67 Active Member

I totally agree with you there tallboy7648 . I've been pestering Dovetail for months about a modern GWE add-on. If they can do a 70s add-on which in my personal opinion is a flaming cheek since most of us own most of the locos then they now must consider a modern twist on GWE with Class 800 ect

• Like Like x 5
  14. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

For me they should have done Modern GWE. Since that’s what people asked for. Never seen anyone ask for a Historic GWE ever in the 3 years I’ve been in the forums. A Modern GWE Would be easier aswell. They could reuse most of the assets from GWE. All they would have to change is the stations (Platform length, Crossrail Depot, finished tracks for Crossrail near Paddington and the construction sites at Hayes & Harlington etc).

• Like Like x 6
  15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You missed the point. The gameplay time had some time left, but other resources were very limited available, so they created a project where they would mainly ned the gameplay team. Thai is why there is no new rolling stock and they did not change anything on the route and scenery.

So you you may have liked it better, but it could not be done at the moment. They took an opportunity for an experiment and we see some people like it and others don't.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. tallboy7648

Thanks for proving my point. I haven't seen any requests for a historic gwe pack in the forums. People have asked for a extension to gwe, branch lines for gwe with the class 165 and a modern version of the route with the 800s, 387s and TFL Rail because the current version is semi modern to say the least. If they are gonna do a 70s pack for gwe that nobody asked for on the forums and has not got a positive reception (on the forums at least), then dtg should really consider doing a longer modern version of the route with the 800s and 387s in the future. The route should go from London Paddington To Bristol Temple Meads and alot of the assets from the current gwe route could be recycled which would make some things easier although some things like old oak common depot would not be there anymore since it closed down. I like gwe and it's still a good looking a popular route to this day but the Great Western Railway not been utilized much after the route came out 4 years ago. We haven't gotten any gwr licensed dlc in 4 years and yes I get this 70s pack is a experiment with a ton on inaccuracies but personally I think most people would have preferred a longer modern, fully electrified gwe route since it's been requested on gwe streams and the forums multiple times. That's what alot of people wanted

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well I would like to see more 1970's content, maybe I am a lone voice but I doubt it. A 1970's Riviera line from Exeter to Plymouth/Paignton is the sort of thing I had in mind, even the class 101 wouldn't be totally out of place on that.

I was quite surprised and not unpleasantly surprised when they announced this pack, even though it wasn't ideal at least it was an attempt at something for us fans of older periods, a period which is very popular in the model railway world so I don't think it should be assumed that train simmers only want modern boxes to drive around in. However as they have decided to snuff out any relation to reality this pack has, then it isn't what I hoped for. They tell us now that it isn't supposed to be realistic, well that is stating the obvious.

So for me "Diesel legends of the Great Western" has turned out to be a legendary damp squid. It contains one legend, a shunting loco used all over British Railways and a DMU also used all over BR and not particularly associated with the Western Region, certainly not seen on the WR until the mid 70's, and one which wouldn't have appeared in the state portrayed alongside the class 52. Plus layers containing loco's which were also used all over BR in a state in which they wouldn't have worked alongside the class 52.

Diesel legends of the Great Western for most people would be classes 35, 42, 52 and maybe class 14 and 22 with a suitable DMU. Plus more modern trains like the class 50's and the HST. Even the named WR class 47's were quite noted, especially the ones painted GWR Green for GWR 150.

• Like Like x 7
  18. tallboy7648

I get what your saying but in terms of gwr content alone, what people have asked for mostly was a electrified gwe route, a route extension and branch lines, not this. We haven't had any gwr licensed content in 4 years. DTG does have to satisfy people who like older content but if people keep asking for a electrified gwe route and instead make an incorrect representation of this route in the 70s that not many asked for, then my hope is that dtg will make a longer electrified version of gwe that alot of people wanted. Hopefully they will actually do that like with route extensions. DTG said they wouldn't do route extensions but are doing an about face but need to get the tech in because since people kept asking for extensions and a market that exists for that, it's not like they could not say no forever

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

Well I agree the GWE route is a frustrating route, I think it still looks one of the best but the stock provided isn't that accurate in terms of how it is portrayed, the stock itself seems fine and well modelled to me, especially with the improved sounds. There were never that many HST's in GWR green so that is unrealistic, although I accept and understand the reasons for that and the class 166 is running every other passenger service, which is unrealistic.

It would be good if they did extend the electrification and make it functional, but that probably requires a new route, and make a class 800 thing and 387 but that is expecting a lot really so it won't happen. You could then have the class 166 running to Oxford and the odd HST appearing, it would make for a much more interesting experience and give a larger variety of trains to run on what is a nice route.

So, I can see what they were trying to achieve with this gameplay pack and I think it will do well, but for me it doesn't look like DTG will take historic routes seriously. They did a good job with NTP and TVL in that regard but I can't see anything like that coming along for some time. We have now had ECW, SEHS and the new Scottish route coming, which are modern post privatisation routes, it wasn't long ago when we were being told TSW had too many historic routes, well we had two really as WSR doesn't count as it isn't a historic portrayal of a route, you won't hear those same people complaining anymore, so I suppose now it is my turn. It is turning into TS1 again in that regards.

• Like Like x 3
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In which case, the Boo Birds will cry "Why GW? - we already have that! If you do a modern line with Hitachis, do the ECML!"

Plainly, there is a lot of demand for vintage UK stuff. DTG wanted to capitalize on that without building a route. When they do another modern UK route (and they will), they aren't going to recycle Paddington-Reading (lest the usual suspects cry Ripoff! and Lazy!)

• Like Like x 2
  21. theorganist

That is true, that would definitely be the outcome. I do think GWML has untapped potential and the very strict timeframe they have modelled it in has left them a bit hamstrung. If they are going to build a new route for the class 800 they might as well make it somewhere totally new.

• Like Like x 3
  22. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me personally I am torn between a new GWE and a historic one. The late 70's and early 80's would be a fantastic route if the route looked like it was in the era and had the right trains, HST, 117 ETC from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads. But I also see the appeal for a modern route with the 800's on a fully Electrified line of the same route, take my money DTG I don't mind which.

As for people saying no is asking for a historic route, no-one asked for this 70's pack either but we still got it.

23. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Raildriver support has been added for the trains in this pack in today's patch release. It's working now for current routes that these locos appear in. I've just had a quick run in a Class 52 and the 101. So, for me, that increases the value of this pack and likely I'll get it this weekend. The temptation of of the new timetable and plenty of opportunities to give the Class 52 a blast down the mainline makes it worth it for me.

• Like Like x 2
  24. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Certainly not the only one who wants more 70s and 80s stuff!

I agree Warships, Westerns, Hymeks etc are the Legends of the Great Western.

• Like Like x 4
  25. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I can see part of the argument that the pack offers no new locos or units etc, but a new loco with little context isn’t worth much.

take SEH - I bought this on release day and enjoy it. However, I’ve not stepped foot in the 375, I don’t dislike Electrostars, but getting on one and driving it for a short while before handing it over to AI and letting it drive off into the sunset has little appeal. Especially as I get far more gameplay on ECW with basically the same type of unit. Now, I really like the class 465, and DTG look to have done a good job with it. But again, not being able “drive a full shift” or at least feel like I’ve driven some distance in it without the feeling I’ve completed a journey doesn’t appeal, so I haven’t bought it. Shame really but maybe one day they will release a Victoria to Orpington route that the 465 can be used on and I’ll happily snap it up.

• Like Like x 2
  26. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

No, you're not alone, I do buy and enjoy modern routes but the modern railway just isn't as interesting as it used to be, as each decade passes things seem to get a little more homogenized, efficient and boring.

• Like Like x 5
  27. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

It appears they have removed the overhead lines for the 70s timetable. I’m really glad they did!
    Edit: It appears I just happened to be in the areas that don’t have overhead lines. Sorry everyone!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  28. theorganist

That is interesting, I didn't think they could do so?!

All they need to do is make the DMU realistic for the route in the period and my wallet will come out!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Tigert1966

I watched a stream last night and they were all still there in that. (I think they were streaming on PlayStation). So I wouldn’t raise your hopes.

• Like Like x 2
  30. gibsonaj1

gibsonaj1 Active Member

I agree with you......WHY do this ? I would seriously prefer a modern twist of this route with Class 800 and new rolling stock to keep this route up to date. Maybe even a small extension to the route would make it more desirable.

• Like Like x 3
  31. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I agree, would rather has the branch lines than more rolling stock

32. theorganist

I think to be realistic, if you added the branch lines ideally you would have a two car class 165.

I am not convinced the branch lines add that much interest, the Greenford branch maybe as services run into Paddington and it is quite an interesting urban line. The other branches are quite short and quite pretty but not hugely interesting operationally.

Personally I would prefer an extension to Oxford and maybe the Greenford branch if they were going to extend it.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

You've posted this somewhere else and I replied there, so will reply again. No the OHLE is still there.

But then again the train doors opening on the wrong side and the train being back to front are still there, so.... yeah... (and I'm Mr Positive when it comes to TSW2)

• Like Like x 1
  34. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of the Marlow branch. Lots of speed changes due to the level crossings, the change ends at Bourne End. It would also be interesting if DTG had working tokens and the point machine at Bourne End was simulated. However this is all fantasy land!

• Like Like x 2
  35. theorganist

Yes I had forgot about the reversal at Bourne End. That would be quite interesting. I do have the steam period route for TS1 and it is certainly quite a pretty line. I suppose the branch lines and to the overall experience of different types of railway operations.

• Like Like x 1
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, the Greenford branch now only runs as far as West Ealing although at the time of the existing GWE route, it would have run to Paddington.

I would love to see the Marlow Branch. The line from Bourne End to Maidenhead (and then to Reading) was my commuter route in the mid 1980s and it is a lovely line. Some rush hour trains from here also run to Paddington.

I too have the steam era TS route which also follows the original route all the way to High Wycombe and it is great.

• Like Like x 1
  37. theorganist

Ah, okay, that is interesting re the Greenford branch, I was making assumptions I must admit, I know for many years trains went directly into Paddington, I had a ride on it once when I visited London, it was a network south east class 121.

It is a shame they closed the line north of Bourne End, although it is very rural I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  38. ade4472

ade4472 Member

Just looked at Microsoft store and at £14.99 think I shall miss this (the only one I haven’t got). Considering in the west Somerset we have 52 and in tees valley 101 at multiple 08 think it’s a joke and a deliberate money grab. Before anyone says you pay your money you make your choice, I would have said that, considering all content is already available that a sub £10 pice tag would have been about right but £15? Please DTG look again at the pricing of this pack. When I drove coaches it was better to sell 52 seats for £10 than 20 for £15. Do your market research and fix a realistic price point.

• Like Like x 5
  39. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but I assume o need the GWE as a base purchase before I can buy this ?

40. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

If you don't have any of the 3 locos the price is very realistic my friend.

Not everyone bought everything ....

• Like Like x 2
  41. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yes, correct.

42. Tigert1966

Yes, the content is already available, but if you don’t already have it, it’s a much cheaper way to buy it. The 52 on its own as an add on to WSR costs almost as much + you get a timetable and scenarios as well. Plus they’ve added raildriver support on PC.

It’s no worse than a musician releasing a compilation album of stuff they have released before, great for those that don’t have the other albums, but a waste of money for those that do. So it’s neither a joke or a cash grab.

• Like Like x 3
  43. Driconian

Driconian Member

As I have said before it just feels so shallow. Now I hope DTG understands that further development of a route and even adding alternative timetables is a good idea. But the big thing for me while I appreciate that Getting the 08, 101 and 52 into the form shown in this pack was not simple it just feels so mediocre why not at least give second BR DMU? I know for a fact one certain individual really wants one but also after seeing the same traction multiple times a change would be nice.

I think I should also state I would have been willing to pay again for GWE had it been a full conversion to the 1980s but if they did not want to do this simply giving appropriate locos would have been nice.

• Like Like x 2
  44. theorganist

I too would pay for a new backdated version of the route, with the correct traction of course.

• Like Like x 4
  45. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Same

• Like Like x 2
  46. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

But in fact he wrote that for those who already own every single DLC and Add-ons, and therefore already have the Class 52, 101,08 and let's also get the 47, 45, 40, 37, 33, 31 and 20 ask for £ 15 only for a revised timetable with shunting attached, it is not a realistic price at all. Why have to pay £ 15 (the total price) if you already own the GWE (identical and without any modifications) and every single rolling stock? £ 15 just for a new timetable? No thanks.

• Like Like x 9
  47. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

I fully agree, its fine for people to criticise in retrospect, but this was their first route on console and of course that means a bit of an eperiment.

DTG have already said that it was built very differently to subsequent releases, and not built in a way that allows much tweaking.

Considering that consoles have never had a sim game of any kind with this level of detail, we can forgive GWE.

Sadly, I doubt we will see a new version of it, that just seems a slight waste of time when there are so many other UK routes that they could scratch build to a much higher quality.
    Plus, many of us who bought GWE or the original TSW probably wouldnt buy the route again as we already have a form of it.

I honestly dont really understand this DLC pack, other than it being a DTG experiment with split timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  48. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

So did the 52 get any meaningful differences? They said it would be a rebuild of the original however the sounds were still pretty shoddy on stream, and from what I’ve seen post release it’s as is, the horn & engine sounds are really quite weak and the passenger consists still have a very fake sounding running noise.

I wouldn’t mind paying £15 for enhanced rebuilt stock, however after DTG saying the 52 would be rebuilt & also new coaching stock would be included, I can’t see any evidence of that, other than visual tweaks.

• Like Like x 3
  49. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Agreed, for me, a new timetable is not enough to warrant interest in this pack at almost any price.

But, on the subject of price, when you can pay circa £25 for a huge detailed route like SEHS with two very detailed and different stock types, £15 seems off for a timetable and three stock types that you can get through other means, which many of the people who this pack appeals to, will already have.

• Like Like x 2
  50. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes me too