What Is Journey Mode?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

What actually is journey mode? I thought it was just the scenarios? Am I wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  2. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

It's a mix of scenarios and timetable services.

You can run each of the services or scenarios outside of journey mode if you like. Journey mode just gives you a bit of variation if you run through it, as you won't know what weather you're going to get or what's up next.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

"Be it training, timetables or tailored tasks, ‘Journeys’ is your new way to experience life on the rails – simply start a journey on a route and delve into 24 or more hours of strung together duties. Everything is sequential, allowing you to continuously play through each chapter or drop back into the menu and get to work in any order you like. Journeys are available on Peninsula Corridor, Main-Spessart Bahn, Long Island Rail Road, Northern Trans-Pennine, Great Western Express and CSX Heavy Haul (PC Only).
    As you progress, either through Journeys or simply with the scenarios and timetables, watch yourself naturally improve by checking your Action Points score and evaluating your performance with our new debriefing systems."
    Source: TRAIN SIM WORLD 2020 OUT NOW!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Haha iv been playing tsw for over a year and never actually knew this. Ill actually use this now. Haha

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I believe that these are hand-picked scenarios and services put into chapters. Basically the system is designed to give you some sort of linear order to play through things.

• Like Like x 2
  6. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I usually complete journey mode in full first before moving on to timetable mode.

Any scenarios or timetable services you complete still get ticked off on the timetable and scenarios lists.

It just adds a bit more variety. When you complete one then move to the next, you don't know what you're going to get :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

On East Coast way, it all ways goes to first scenario, even though done it. Same with ICE training on Koln, so I'm doing something wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, you aren't doing it wrong. Normally the first parts of journey mode are the tutorials and some scenarios. If you did the scenario under the scenario menu, it doesn't count for it in the journey mode (although sometimes it does say that it has been completed).

• Like Like x 2
  9. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

Turn off auto-load journeys in the settings menu

• Like Like x 1
  10. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

Thanks will have look a that.

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

At the risk of bringing a dead thread back, I have been wondering this. So Journey Mode, is basically a Randomizer Mode?

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. It's bascially the same services you would find in the timetable mode but with different types of weather in those services along with the scenarios. I personally don't use journey mode. I just use the timetable

• Like Like x 2
  14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

It's a selection of services, scenarios and tutorials split into multiple chapters with some kind of order. It is feasible to finish journey mode over timetable mode for some routes. When I finish journey mode, I consider that route completed and focus more on other routes (I will still play the route in timetable mode).

Services will have preset weather conditions and seasons. You can't pick the locomotive/livery in journey mode.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  15. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, Matt and Sam covered this at the beginning of the last stream... Matt said that the point of journey mode is to guide a new user from the start of learning to drive a particular loco, then the various different stages of a route from start to finish. By that point, you'll have an idea of how to better operate the train, and also have an idea of what tasks you enjoy (or otherwise).
    You can then move onto the timetable and pick out your favourite parts and skip others.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

It generally provides a good spread of seasons, and times off the day as well, a little bit of everything.

By the time you’ve finished you would know what you like, and then can play that in the timetable.

• Like Like x 2