Cornwall > Pnz To ...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by railway12, May 10, 2020.

1. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Lovely photos. I really hope that if they made the route, that Long Rock was added. It’s now a big part of Penzance because it is new and it can mean that the route can be dated. Also means some shunting :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Nice shots! Thanks for coming through. The flag on the shunter (St Piran, is that an 08 or 09?) is just a bonus :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. dave from Cornwall

St Piran is 08645

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

It'd make for a great livery to be added to the game, if they used the layer(s) from NTP BR Heavy Freight or TVL to add the 08.

I suppose there's a discussion to be had about layers, layer integration to a route, how that would affect consoles, what the route would look like without that layer, what about those who don't have those packs.... But sticking to the positive, it'd be great to use it for shunting operations at Long Rock!

• Like Like x 2
  7. dave from Cornwall

You can't really have the Cornwall route without St Piran....the patron saint of Cornwall, and tin miners! (not sure about trains)!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

It'd be nice to see it added by DTG... even if they don't though it'll probably be only a matter of hours post-release for someone to create it :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Here's a shot I took earlier in TS21. It's of a Class 220 Voyager as it leaves Penzance. It was taken about a mile down the line, as the Mount appeared. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Here you get to see some action of two express sprinters on the fallmouth branch at penryn station, just picked it up from youtube. Of course the 150 is not available all the time, so a 158 should do it. Normally they only run the main line services to Exeter or Bristol, so this time the passangers got some sort of express feeling on the branch lines. They now get used occasionally on some branch lines. Btw fun fact as far as I know the 158 is permitted to run on every cornish branch line except for the looe valley line. I do not know exactly why but still interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

The Sprinters look good in GWR's green :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. lewis tobin

lewis tobin Member

I would love to see this with a good verity of trains. Great proposal hope dtg agree.

• Like Like x 4
  13. dave from Cornwall

I know I promised not spam the board with pictures again...I will try not too...honestly.

Falmouth Train and a 5 car 800 heading to PZ from Truro Station.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures keep sharing them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rail Runner

I think it is a great way of allowing others to see what runnings happen in Cornwall. I am, like I have stated again and again and again, very much interested in this idea :D
    If Branchlines are added, then I can adds so much more that can be achieved.
    I know that some branches are quite long and complicated to manage, but then maybe these could be an extension which could be bought on the Store? Just Trains managed this a while ago with their Great Western Mainline and Extensions which may be a great idea for DTG. This then allows people to add which ever branch that they would prefer.
    Great photos Dave :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. dave from Cornwall

My personal view is that its actually where "Train Sim World" fails because they build and sell their product as lines, not worlds.

GWE should have the numerous branch lines between Paddington and Reading. Create the world within the DLC.

As drivers we should be forced to keep to time to meet the mainline trains on branches etc...

The Cornwall Mainline (and I really dont mind which half) would be so much more improved if it had at least 1 branch line off it!

D

• Like Like x 4
  17. B3N

B3N Active Member

they already have the licensing for GWR so it could happen

• Like Like x 1
  18. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

These are really interesting, so thank you for sharing them. I'm actually planning a model railway based on somewhere in Cornwall, so your pictures are always welcome. They're not spam. :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I have just put a suggestion that the game desperately needs a Class 150 and Class 158 big time. This route, with the already amazing HST plus the 150 and 158 would be a perfect route release I think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dave from Cornwall

I know I promised to stop "spamming" the board, but as DTG started getting excited about Scotland, which is not Cornwall...

I thought I better put some more reminders up.

We have got A 158 and 800 at Hallenbeagle mine and then a couple of pictures of a 800 snaking its way from Truro, over the viaduct and through the 55 mph area of Chacewater.

Have a great week!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  21. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Excellent keep them coming

22. Rail Runner

Very interesting! We’re there any freight services to the mine? Seems like there were some siding in that area. Considering they have added a 70s pack to GWE, if they made the Cornish Mainline, do you reckon they would add something similar? Would be a great contrast :)

• Like Like x 2
  23. dave from Cornwall

Its a strange on that mine...it only worked for a year or so, and I dont believe it was ever connected to the mainline. Further down the track at Camborne there was a short branch off to the Holman foundry which enabled large equipment access to the railway, and further back in time there was the branch off to Portreath Harbour and South Crofty Mine, but Hellanbeagle was sadly not a shunting yard!

Just to bore peeps with the history of mining and trains in Cornwall...there was an extensive tram network across Cornwall from coast to coast connecting all the mines. The routes of the tracks depended on the port owners links to the land owner and the mine owners..

As the mainline was not connected to England until 1859, many of the routes were freight priority with a bit of passenger. They connected the mines/ports/smelters together to enable smooth operation of the mines. The main "branch" was Hayle to Truro which had two main ports for exporting tin and importing consumables.

Once IKB had built the famous bridge over the Tamar, only then did passenger movements around Cornwall become more important than freight.

D

• Like Like x 1
  24. dave from Cornwall

Hmmm more of Truro station...not that anyone has asked.
    150 heading up from Penzance heading off to Plymouth, meeting a 43 going the other way.
    Looking up at a 43 going across the large viaduct just before the station.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Is this a problem? We already have GWR but nothing Scottish yet. It's a great thing in my opinion.

EDIT: didn't realise it was a joke, oops. No offence taken. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

i think it's a bit of a joke

• Like Like x 1
  27. dave from Cornwall

Yes, this was said with my tongue firmly located within my cheek. Sorry that it didn't come across as such...please there should be no offence taken!

• Like Like x 2
  28. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

One more thing if you own this one then own GWE Paddington Station to Reading is that you can substitute the HST for Class 802. That requires you to turn off 25kv mode at Airport Junction otherwise lose power since that route is set in 2016-2017 when the only Electrified portion is only Paddington to Heathrow Airport. Also give the player on how to control class 802 in both diesel and Electric mode by having GWE Reworked to the 2017-2021 configuration. that's having 25kv 50hz wires all the way to Reading. For Consoles R1 R2 PS4 & PS5 Throttle Control while Xbox One Series X/S RT RB Brakes PS4 L1 L2 Xbox One and Series X/S LB LT class 43 & 802 in Diesel Mode. X Button Interact PS4 & PS5 which then becomes A Button Xbox Series X/S & Xbox One.

29. Wolfovizer

Sorry, I didn't realise it was a joke, I've edited the original post now. :) No offence taken, just seen a lot of complaints about having a Scottish route instead of x, y or z. :)

30. Wolfovizer

Really good idea. I've only been on a train once in Cornwall (Liskeard - Reading on an 802) but have to say it was amazing. I think it would be cool to see a class 57 (correct me if I'm wrong with the class) pulling the Night Riviera (again correct me if I'm wrong with the name). :)

• Like Like x 2
  31. dave from Cornwall

I am genuinely surprized that they didnt put the 57 in, yes its only two routes a "day/night" but you have the ability to drive it to Reading at 2345 and then from Reading to Paddington at ~0500 ish with the shunting operation at 7 once everyone is off the train.

Bit of a miss from DTG and it was even there in 2015!

D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

This is the route needed to get away from this emu/commuter obsession DTG seems to have.
    Living next to St Blazey Yard with the main line at the bottom of my garden, it's a route that has got to be made.

Of course with the working turntable at St Blazey, it would be a good starter route for steam as well:).

Covid has stopped things at the moment, but in the summer months there were regular Black 5 hauled excusions on Sundays.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Rail Runner

They also sometimes ran the 57s with day coaches from Par to Exeter during the summer, which if added to this potential route, then it would really allow more to be achieved with the class 57 other than the sleepers during the morning and evening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

I'll be updating this thread soon, if so I'll add some additional info, for example as mentioned Penzance and Par to Exeter with the 57s.

• Like Like x 3
  35. dave from Cornwall

Steam railtours only normally reach Par, as mentioned above St Blazey has the last remaining operational turntable in Cornwall since they did Long Rock up a few years ago.

But yes we do see the Diesel tours coming all the way down.

D

• Like Like x 1
  36. heardturkey

As a suggestion to your update, Lostwithiel to Truro would make a nice route. About the right length for DTG (pretty pointless asking for much more than 40 miles).
    Route start at Lostwithiel with the branch to Fowey docks for China Clay traffic.
    Main line ending to Truro with portals to Penzance and Falmouth..
    St Blazey yard and Par docks (china clay again).
    The St Ives branch as far as Goonbarrow to allow the Fowey traffic and the St Ives trains going off map through a portal.

At the moment most of the trains are Class66's, 800's and still (though sadly rarely) HSTs, + a few DMU's

The route could be easily run for different eras as 'modernisation' has never really reached this far west.:) so probably no changes would ever be needed.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Rail Runner

I would be very interested to see what, if they make it, services there would be. I would hope that layers would be used in order to provide a better mixture of stuff to drive and enjoy on this beautiful line. Also, would there be any ECS movements? I haven’t been down in a while and can’t remember if many ECS movement occur.

38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Everything moves from a depot to a start point...
    Easiest way of finding out is to go to RTT and do a detailed search one of the stations, anything with a 5xxx headcode is likely an ECS move

39. dave from Cornwall

Think you have got Par Newquay confused with St Erth- St Ives :)

But yes your point still stands :)

40. heardturkey

Your right. Senior moment :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. Rail Runner

Oh I completely forgot about Realtime! Haha, I know about TRNs, but realtime slipped my mind! Thanks for the reminder :)

• Like Like x 2
  42. dave from Cornwall

Got dragged to the garden centre, but still got to watch a 800 heading to Penzance from Par due to engineering works.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  43. dave from Cornwall

A couple of 800's in the environs of Penponds Viaduct whilst out on the daily permitted exercise!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  44. Rail Runner

Well, we have news of Penzance to Truro and St Ives on the roadmap... not exactly what I would have wanted but will still get it none the less.

45. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

Well, it seems you all are in luck
    Check the roadmap :)
    IN PLANNING
    • ★ [Route Add-On] GGD-R5 01 West Cornwall Local: Penzance - Truro & St Ives - Developed By Rivet Games

• Like Like x 2
  46. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

How many kilometer are this Route?
    But it’s Rivet Games :o

• Like Like x 2
  47. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

At a guess based on road distance - around 55km for mainline and branch - so rather short.

6 Stops on the mainline, 4 or 5 on the Branch depending on time period (Lelant Saltings was formerly a park and ride, but that's moved to a new larger facility at St Erth station)

• Like Like x 1
  48. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

Well done! Cornwall is on the roadmap!

49. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It's coming, albeit different to this suggestion and has been Rivet'd...
    But it's coming. :)

50. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

This is great news! I'm excited to see how it comes along. The branch line should be interesting to see, and of course the big question of what rolling stock we will get.