Raildriver Early Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you bought yours from the U.S seeing as they arn't available in Europe. What was the cost if you don't mind me asking I've had a look on PI website and the shipping is more than the unit. I also don't understand the tax bit either.
    Interestingly I had this reply from PI when I questioned them about European stock
    We ran into a number of complications this year due to COVID-19 and Brexit this fall. We aren’t sure when we can get the container back that way, it is being sent back to the US as I type. We are offering heavily discounted shipping if you order direct from us here in the states. If you wanted to send me your address I can offer you a quote. The unit will come with the US power adapter, but that is only for the speakers, you just need USB to power the actual RailDriver itself. (most people use their own speaks anyways)

2. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I got mine early 2000's so I don't think my price would count!

3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

paul.pavlinovich Appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. It really is very useful.

4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

here is the link http://raildriver.com/purchase/distribution.php

5. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I've already spoken to all the distrubuters and none of them know when it will be back in stock. If you read the reply from PI the the container that was on its way to Europe is now on its way back to the US

6. Michael Newbury

Sorry I missed that part that is never good news when a container gets turned back to origin of destination. But hopefully you will be able to get your hands on one sooner rather than later.

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

How extraordinary. I wonder why. I thought the pandemic restrictions on movement only applied to people.

8. Michael Newbury

Possible the proper Custom Documents were not filed there may be other reason for turning a Container back.

9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I was trying to get a second hand one from ebay but I kept losing the bids, lol. Anyway, I found this other listing on ebay for a brand new one. It cost me £253 in total, about £90 postage and shipping included in that price. It came from the US and as the second hand ones were going for around the same price I thought £253 for a new one to arrive at my door would be good.

It took a few weeks. I did try the European and UK sites but they had no idea. I think it might have had something to do with importing from China. I had no problem with this seller, 'world*shop' and it arrived with power pack although I still haven't figured how to use it with usb powered wireless headphones and the stickers were in their.

I have used it briefly on the Bakerloo and it seems to work OK. They also said that there would be no more hidden costs and there wasn't, £253 is all I paid.

10. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

got my rd last year for run8 and tsw2 do enjoy it alot

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Great to see that Raildriver support has been added for the Class 52, 101 and 08 in the latest patch release.

First bit of feedback for that - The Horn on the Class 52 is mapped to High Horn and Rear Horn instead of High Horn and Low Horn. In the Class 52 you really need a good blast of the 2 tone horn!

As has already been reported, the Acknowledge button is still broken and doesn't work on any of these 3 locos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. fatnslo#7264

fatnslo#7264 Member

Is the support for these locos listed anywhere or did you just find out by trying?

13. Tigert1966

I found it out by trying. If you go into the controller settings to the raildriver section, they are all there. So I tried the 101 and Class 52 and they are working.

• Like Like x 1
  14. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

I assume you see these extra locos only if you have certain extra DLC installed. The list of locos hasn't changed for me since the latest patch.

15. Tigert1966

Yes, I already have the DLC that contains these Locos.

16. paul.pavlinovich

ooo yes after the patch I've also got Class 08 BLU, Class 101 BLG, I don't have the 52 though. Perhaps I need to get whatever DLC that is in during March Madness that is not happening soon honest.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  17. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Driving the 101 and 08 is so much better with the Raildriver, it makes an even bigger difference with trains that start and stop frequently. I hadn't used either for ages before this update, I found trying to use the 101 vacuum brake via keyboard to stop at the end of a platform an unrewarding experience.

We just need Raildriver support for the 31, 40, 45, 47 etc now :) It is disappointing that we haven't had any other Raildriver updates for the preserved collection.

18. paul.pavlinovich

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. paul.pavlinovich

Tigert1966 if you can give me the key labels for the 52 I can update the printable key label file I've got (see link above)

1966 - a good year by the way :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tigert1966

Hopefully I've attached the version I started last night. Still needs editing to make everything fit, but good enough for you to take and put in your much nicer version!

Attached Files:

21. RommieG

RommieG New Member

Raildriver is now working for those locomotives? Do you know if that's just for the ones offered in TVL vs. NTP? Or do both work?

22. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Raildriver now works with the 101 and 08 on both TVL and NTP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. RommieG

RommieG New Member

Perfect - I look forward to trying them out soon. It's exciting to see some Preserved Collection content finally supporting Raildriver, whether it was intended or not. This does make me wonder - with Hamburg-Lübeck coming up soon, will a similar thing happen with the existing BR 143 and 182? While the 112 and 143 do have their differences, the control scheme is largely the same.

24. ulf

ulf Member

I can't find any Class 52 locomotive on any TSW2 route or add on Steam store. Do you have any link?

25. Tigert1966

You need West Somerset and the Class 52 add on. If you don’t have them, it’s cheaper to just get the Diesel Legends pack. I think.

• Like Like x 1
  26. johntay

johntay Member

I have really enjoyed using my RD on tsw 2 I won't play it any other way and am holding off playing the rest of the dlc that dosnt use the rail driver as soon as they are compatible I will be straight on them.

I like the way the doors are controlled on the d-pad wouldn't change that.

As soon as you can customise the controls I would find another lever for the throttle.

Part from these few things I am really enjoying the experience and would recommend it to anyone thinking of getting on.

For people in UK who want to get a hold of one I bought mine from Walthers model railroad shop online they are in America but only cost me $179 and $30 delivery and right now they have $20 dollars off the rrp it sells on there site for $170 usually $199 so the money I saved on that paid the FedEx fees was out no other cost.

Will put a link down below for people interested in getting it they also have a bundle with Train Simulator 2020.

https://www.walthers.com/raildriver-desktop-cab-controller

Hope yous don't mind me sharing the link to save people a little bit of money and get them paying TSW 2 with a rail driver

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. paul.pavlinovich

Tigert1966 thanks for the 52 keys - the doc now has this loco too and has a nod to you :)

It is great to see RD support expanding. For those new to RD I've started recording tutorials on setting it up and getting going with the basics for various train sims - why are my tutorials different? Because if it can be done in 5 minutes it will be - I can't stand 1 hour waffly tutorials :).

28. paul.pavlinovich

I have used the Raildriver on the 08, 52, and 101 from the new Diesel Legends pack today quite extensively. For the most part I can give positive feedback. My only issues are:
    a) yet more inconsistent button controls meaning you need to change the labels for every loco for even more locos
    b) On the scenario "pick up line" the doors on the passenger stock hauled by the 52 are controlled backwards, left door button opens right doors, right door button opens left doors.

Apart from that and the usual Alert button not working these locomotives are much more enjoyable to drive. Especially the 101 - using the Raildriver to control its somewhat ineffective brake and the gears make it so much fun to drive. I think this might actually now be my favourite to drive because you're so constantly busy.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  29. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

+1 for that!

• Like Like x 1
  30. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the videos Paul.
    Just one thing could you switch the video of the raildriver round.
    Made my eyes googly turning the image round in my head :)

Also appreciate your profiles.

• Like Like x 1
  31. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I never really got on with the 101 on TVL, but watching Paul's video has inspired me to try again on DLGW with the label printout by my side.

More generally, I do like the style and duration of the videos. Another reminder to myself I've taken from the vids is to turn the HUD off more!

• Like Like x 1
  32. dhekelian

Going through your youtube video Paul for the Gronk and 101 so thanks for uploading. Your right in saying the route did upset a few people and me due to the overhead wires and yes it is my local route. But have you seen those mods?

I actually bought the pack due to those mods and youtube videos. The mod gets rid of the overhead cables, wooden sleepers, signs of the era, weathered trains, Livery ETC. Well worth a look.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks for the feedback :). Do you mean not shooting it from above, or having buttons facing down or buttons facing up on the video? I've tried it both ways in the various videos and am curious which one you like best. I've sort of been experimenting and know which I like short of shooting from behind me.

I do want to get a better resolution camera for the RailDriver as its kinda fuzzy too.

34. paul.pavlinovich

I wish I knew the route well enough to drive hud-less but I generally fail miserably when I do that!!

35. paul.pavlinovich

I have not seen them - I'll have to think about that as apart from setting up DX12 and all the Unreal switches I don't have any mods installed. I wonder if its worth writing a script so they're gone when running Diesel Legends but there when running GWE in raw mode. Interestingly if they're that easy to get rid of then perhaps DTG could do it based on time-table selection.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  36. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Morning Paul, or rather Good Evening down under :)
    I’d been running the 101 tutorial and found it’s position infelicitous.
    Probably me being cranky.
    Best would be facing the top of the screen, the way we’d view ours.

37. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks mate, that is helpful. Yes that one is backwards and does look weird! I got it the right way around in the calibration tutorial I think so I'll aim to have them that way around all the time.

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. kellanium#9517

kellanium#9517 Member

So I bought one of these and it just came today and I've primarily been using it on Sand Patch. Initial thoughts

As someone else said, keeping the buttons consistent across locomotives is fairly cruicial. It's not difficult to change the labels but it is annoying. Another possibility, if it wouldn't be too difficult to implement that is, would basically be a HUD placard that you could pull up without pausing/mousing over something that would tell you the button bindings, like maybe map it to an unused key on the keyboard.

Personally, I prefer the throttles to match the labeling because that's how my muscle memory works, but I think it would be excellent if there was an "Invert Lever" option in the menu.

The calibration process has a bit of a learning curve but paul.pavlinovich 's suggestion of bringing it a hair back from max travel has worked wonders.

Often the ALERT button isn't mapped to the alerter reset. On the C40-8W (which i'm playing now) the alerter reset is mapped to one of the bottom row buttons. I've already managed to memorize its location, but it would be nice to have it on the dedicated button. Right now the button is mapped to "GamepadResetSafteySystem" which I'm fairly certain is a typo? Seems like an easy fix but I'm a light rail driver (yes, IRL) not a programmer.

Also it would be nice if the Pantograph button could be used on non-electrified routes to, say, activate lead axle sanding.

Overall, I'm having a huge amount of fun with this. I appreciate you guys making it work, and it's working pretty well, with just a few hiccups. I hope any of the stuff I've posted here helps, even if you choose to disregard everything I say!

As a final summation, my priorities, if I could pick them, would be

1. Fixing the Alerter Typo Bug[?]
    2. Preserved Collection Support (pls give me Peninsula Corridor and LIRR I've been very good this year)
    3. "Invert Throttle and Brakes" option
    4. Easier viewing of button assignments

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. dhekelian

I have wondered if it wouldn't be easier to make PI's own software compatible with TSW2 and in so doing the RailDriver will be fully customised?

40. fatnslo#7264

fatnslo#7264 Member

Or pay or hire CobraOne Chris to do it. Full support with custom controls would have been done months ago if that guy was on the job.

• Like Like x 5
  41. paul.pavlinovich

kellanium#9517 Matt said on one of the streams they would aim to make all the buttons configurable by the player which would be great, but in the mean time yes having it change for every loco is an absolute pain. Its often been said TSW locomotives have too many controls for consistency, but RUN8 manages it across the fleet. Unusual controls are on the keyboard where they belong with all common controls on the Raildriver.

• Like Like x 1
  42. dhekelian

I agree paul.pavlinovich about it being a pain. They have admitted before they are not finding it as easy as first thought. I have played a scenario with the RailDriver and all was well then come out of that menu mistakenly go into another only to back out and go in the original one again only to find some of the controls are no longer working like the horn and doors.

I don't think they will get this done untill they ask a third party for help.

• Like Like x 2
  43. paul.pavlinovich

I've not encountered that problem, one thing to watch if you have multiple screens is that if your window focus is away from the game the RD will not work. When I've had problems it has always been that for me. You might be experiencing something different to me.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  44. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

IDK if my raildriver has some kinda problem, the subwoofer crackles non-stop whenever I turn it on and crackles even louder when any noise occurs. does anyone know why?

45. Crosstie

Sounds like a connection or electrical problem. I disconnected my subwoofer after a short time because I didn't think it really added anything to the game, but it did function as advertised.

• Like Like x 2
  46. dhekelian

I tried to get the sound running but as I use headphones, Artis Pro wireless, I gave up trying.

47. Crosstie

Yes, I have the same headphones, the wired version. I also have high end speakers. I made the choice to go with the headphones for TSW2, so I ditched the subwoofer.

• Like Like x 1
  48. paul.pavlinovich

I agree with Crosstie that it sounds like a loose plug or wire somewhere. An uncommon problem could also be if you're running a lower end sound chipset and you're trying to run wireless headphones or USB headphones and the normal sound port at the same time this can happen. Try plugging headphones into the same source and see if they crackle - that will help you figure out if its your computer or the Raildriver.

49. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

One question - Class 101 - how do you change gears with rail driver?

50. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

With the "RANGE" switch

• Like Like x 1