Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

üe4 game

2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is IHH this has been in development for some time, I have been keeping an eye on it. I think it is intended to be a railway simulator not just a driving simulator.

Glad it is still in development, I will definitely be getting it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

plus, as a company, I rather had a playable game with a good stream of new content than several potential lawsuits ruining my business plan :D

4. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

It is from he who must not be named.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Not from the game in question in this thread, but I would not be able to play the game in the video with that awful wind sound going on. Just a minute of it and I had to turn it off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I did a little more digging into it and is called Trackside and still is in development so no release date at this time. Looks really nice hoping he puts up more videos. The wind was a bit much but with using the unreal engine like he has shows it possible to get proper weather.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cilldroichid

cilldroichid New Member

Yes

8. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I personally tend to be "real"; "real" can only feel all aspects of the game, how they can take into account the two will be the best simulator.

9. theorganist

Someone mentioned the wind noise in some comments on a previous video and he said it was something which could be adjusted.

I am very excited by it, it is set in my favourite periods, he has been showing off some steam engines in UE4. I don't think it will have a class 101 in it though!

As this is a trailer I think the first release can't be far away, you can vote for it in a competition on the Epic games store.

10. fanta1682002

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. theorganist

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Youtube channel found:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYzhuec82n27lelFWaXZUQ

It's interesting, but he's working five years to reach alpha stage (his own claim) and it just covers the good old UK Diesel days. It looks nice, but it is for a very specific interest group.as far as I can see right now.

13. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It's gonna have the big problem that Run 8 has, to narrow focus for most people to be interested in it. Considering it's on UE4 I also see it having a lack of mods like with TSW2 considering it has to comply with Epic's policies, which is the big reason a editor can't be done. Good for those who are excite for it, but personally I have little interest in it with those factors going against it.

14. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

SimRail posted on Facebook that they're "on the final straight to a demo version". So looks like a playable demo will be released soonish. Should be cool to give it a try.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Ah, it's good there'll be a demo. TSW should have a demo too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

"Trackside" looks like a great railsim for those who want more "immersion", especially in yard work. I'll certainly be interested in it as an alternative to driving trains while invisible (or visible but always static) yard personnel carry out a variety of chores.

With a bit of searching, I came across a discussion of it on RailUKforums that appeared in 2018 and predicted release in late 2019:
    https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trackside-new-simulator.183961/ The sim's first trailer can be viewed at this link, along with the same kind of quibbling and quarreling that characterize this thread. Whatever happened to this sim??? It seems unlikely that it's a component of SimRail, but ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The trackside game looks to be completely UK based whereas the Simrail game is apparently from Poland so no i think they are completely different things. Trackside does look interesting but seems more like a tech demo to be honest, will be interesting to see the full scope of Simrail.

19. fanta1682002

not downloand

20. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

No, that is not a legitimate website. I would suggest removing the link from your post.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  21. Michael Newbury

Have even bothered to google sunshinethegame, it is a legitimate site

22. Callum B.

No, it is not. I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  23. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it seems to be a torrent download site

24. Tahar_bej

Tahar_bej Member

The game hasn't been released on steam, and the site offers "free download" for GTAVI (Rockstar didn't announce GTAVI yet) I wouldn't call this a torrent site, it is rather a website with malicious files

25. fanta1682002

yes

26. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I will only be interested in purchasing this simulator if or when there are some Australian routes.

27. Michael Newbury

Show the proof if they are not, would interesting where you are getting your facts from.

28. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

That site stinks worse than 3 week old kippers.

[link removed by Protagonist]

<edited by author to break the link if you really want to check it take the spaces out>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Callum B.

Certainly.

Red Flags:
    • Big green download button
    • Download links separate for Windows, macOS, and Linux, despite this being a Windows-only game (as far as I know)
    • Lots of autogenerated garble
    • Download links lead to "javascript:poClick('code=wg82il&title='+document.title+'&title_end={title_end_value}')", or in other words, an autogenerated download file with a name given by the title of the article
    Downloading and running the executable file (which I wouldn't recommend doing except in a secure virtual machine) reveals that the software has nothing to do with Simrail 2021, and it automatically deletes the download file after it finishes to cover its tracks.

upload_2021-3-10_11-41-2.png

upload_2021-3-10_11-41-24.png

upload_2021-3-10_11-41-47.png
    It then proceeds as an installation of Notepad++. I suspect this is a guise.

I have no idea what the software Wooded Lawgiver does, but I do not trust a software that tries to cover its tracks.

If you believe this site to be legitimate, then perhaps you would not mind installing their software directly to your machine. Not that I am encouraging it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 11
  30. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

Indeed. And if you do google sunshinethegames, the only positive match will be that website. 1 result.
    It's the second time it's been posted in this thread, and it got removed first time round.
    People need to up there internet awareness game, because your computer ain't gonna last long if you go downloading files from sites like that.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Michael Newbury

Actually if I wanted free version of say SimRail2021 I would go to the developer and see about a free Steam key. This way if I like it when it releases I already have it on Steam and it then turn it into a full version.

32. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

Loved that one, but it's so true.

33. Callum B.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think you give good arguments. There is one even more simple: you should never believe an offer that sounds really good like this one. If there would have been a free previews, I the publisher would definitely make a lot of noise and release it. It is just very illogical to find this. So I would recommend not to try it, you may get into big trouble.

35. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Hello.

So, any site offering free downloads of commercial games is either:
    A - piracy
    B - malware

The former is not permitted on this forum, the latter needs little explanation as to why we won't allow those links here. I've removed links from the above posts.

• Like Like x 18
  36. theorganist

Tracksides I think is intended to be more than just train driving, in fact from what I have read I don't know if it will ever include train driving, it is intended to be a multi-role railway simulator. This first release from what I can see is based around the operation of a mechanical signal box or boxes, I think you will be able to be a train spotter by noting loco numbers etc and being a "banksperson (I think that is the expression)".

The author of the sim did produce many add-ons for TS1 in the early days they were all from the British Railways steam to British Rail diesel period, that is his area of interest.

I suppose it is niche but there is large amount of interest in this period, especially within the model railway fraternity, it hasn't been captured that well by the more recent sims.

Anyway I guess this is off topic.

37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It does - called the Steam 2 hour refund policy.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's not a really useful alternative to a demo. Firstly, pretty sure the Steam refund policy isn't intended for demoing games, and frequent "demoing" could even get you in trouble for abusing the system this way. Secondly, to really get a good impression of what a game like TSW can and cannot do, and to familiarize yourself with a game you haven't played before, you really need more than 2 hours.

39. Pit

Pit Member

From SimRail facebook:
    Zrzut_ekranu_154.jpg Zrzut_ekranu_148.jpg Zrzut_ekranu_129.jpg Zrzut_ekranu_121.jpg Zrzut_ekranu_152.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  40. martschuffing

I know it is a wip but those cab textures look kak at the moment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. OldVern

I have never yet exceeded the overuse of the refund policy. It may not be useful for everything, MSFS for example installed from within the game counting as play time and they had to be forced into making exceptions for people who wanted their money back. Generally with TSW it has worked out okay, the less than sterling DLC I’ve bought has always revealed its shortcomings within the two hours = money back.

Generally, playable demos went out the door with PC mag cover discs and another reason I heard is that modern games are so complex, you cannot provide a demo without supplying the complete code making it a petrie dish for hackers and pirates to unlock it.

42. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Derail Valley had a demo, released through Steam before it went early access. That might be the case with SimRail too. Developers have confirmed that there will be a early access version, so I hope we will get our hands on it during this spring/summer if the game is set to release in Q3. Time will tell if all the features and promises from the devs will come true. In my opinion it sounds a bit too good to be true :)

• Like Like x 1
  43. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And also Run8 V3 this year maybe. If all this happens... Could I die of too much love?

44. martschuffing

That doesn't mean it won't happen.

45. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I think at this point SimRail has been hyped a bit too much and overloaded with expectations. I am thinking about waiting till it is released to see if its good before I purchase. At the very least it will tamp down my expectations.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It reminds me of MSFS and how some people thought it was gonna be the sim to end all sims out the gate. Fact of the matter is It's gonna take a while for it to be polished up and for third parties to get the hang of it. Once initial issues with it are dealt with and there's enough third parties to have good flow of content coming to the sim then I can see it taking off. But like with MSFS I'm expecting it to be a year or two before it reaches that point. A few years from now sure, I could easily see SimRail gaining a lot of ground over TSW in particular if third parties take a liking to it. But right now I'm fully expecting to be using TS Classic and TSW by years end, with SimRail complementing them as opposed to replacing them.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I agree. Particularly their initial release is going to be 500 Km of tracks using geodetic data. I am not sure how that is going to translate into a game. I am thinking they probably drew custom assets and scripts from the yards, stations and the surrounding areas but most of the route tracks and assets are auto generated. This is what the current gen MSFS does. But we are talking about simulating the areas from a top down perspective in large scale as opposed to being driven through perspective. I think the graphics setup will probably inform how good the game works.

48. OldVern

Ain’t that the truth. And all the majority of the punters on the flight sim forums are doing, is drooling over the possibility of handing over £120 to PMDG for their 737.

49. theorganist

Intentional pun? :D

• Like Like x 1
  50. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I think like waiting forever in a restaurant for a meal, eventually you are not hungry, the same thing will happen with this release. I am losing interest already.