Roadmap Update - 9th March 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 9, 2021.

1. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Maybe. The new consoles haven't been out that long. Not a lot of people own them. The optimisations there doing are for xbox one and PS4.
    I would hope they would spend at least the next 12 - 24 months or more building a bespoke version of TSW for xbox series X , S and PS5.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yes the lirr was in dire need of some fixing. Hopefully in the future they will fix the signaling so it can get a more accurate timetable for the Ronkonkoma and Hempstead Branches

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Very much permission dependent, we know that they have certain agreements in place and we know there are certain others they don't have (the 700 is a notable example)

• Like Like x 3
  5. tallboy7648

I am aware of that

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thomas Ham

Thomas Ham Active Member

this is wear I think dovetail games with the new unreal engine 4.26
    will make two Version of the Game one for PS4 and Xbox one with out the Layers on until they have a fix for it
    for the time being leave it off
    and one Version for the X box series X and S and PS5 with the Layers on and More performance better graphics in 4K 120fps and 60FPS. PS5 and X box series X and S will be Free Upgrades and Tansfer save dater from PS4 and X box one to PS5 and X box series x and s a bit like what EA sports have done with Fifa 21 and still update both Version of the Game

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It isn't only the train, it is the setting as well, the infrastructure in the UK has changed so much over the last 20 or 30 years! If you list the routes set in the 80's against routes set in the last 10 years, tell me which one has the most?

There are two "historic routes" plus this "1970's" pack which isn't even worth considering as a recreation of the past. If TSW goes in the same direction as TS1 then I won't be satisfied at the moment I am a little on the fence. At least in TS1 I have a large amount of rolling stock and a much more intuitive scenario editor so I can at least make realistic period scenarios on more modern routes, you are very much more hamstrung in TSW both due to the fact that it is early days with regards the amount of stock available and the restrictive scenario planner, it isn't even an editor really.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tallboy7648

I was specifically talking about the trains. Yes I'm aware that the routes that these older style trains like the 314 run on are modern, but they are still old trains. There are more older style british trains than modern trains. I was hoping that Cathcart Circle would come with the class 380 to give players a taste of a older unit and a modern unit. Hopefully it still does otherwise it'll feel like they just included the 314 since the 313 has some similarities and could recycle some assets from the 313 so it would be easier to make. But the fact of the matter is that there are more old style uk trains than modern trains

• Like Like x 2
  9. tallboy7648

Hopefully a next gen version of tsw2 will be made

• Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

They probably did include the class 314 as it is similar to the 313, it makes perfect sense, in fact I would argue it would be barmy for them not to do that. I agree it would be good to see a more modern unit as well as variety is the spice of life and maybe one will appear as additional DLC if not in the pack. I will purchasing it anyway unless it is just the circle line without the branches off as that will be far too short even for DTG standards.

However as an enthusiast of older trains, I don't want to drive them on modern routes particularly, are we are going to see more packs like the GWML pack as the answer, I hope not. Maybe on paper there are more trains which are pre 2000 lets say, but not exactly by much and I suspect this conversation will be very different in a year or two time but the sim lacks historic routes which is a much better platform to use old stock rather than modern routes, often devoid of any character they once had, even going back to BR days.

• Like Like x 5
  11. tallboy7648

I'll get cathcart circle if it includes the branch lines. If not then im not gonna buy it as it would be way too short. I hope the 380 will come at some point though because having 1 train on a route that would have multiple trains running on it in reality would get a bit boring. I'm all for variety.

• Like Like x 3
  12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Great post, personally I enjoy most of the electrics in the game (from the '70s to the 2010s) and I just enjoy the different experience of driving trains built in very different eras. Although I don't really like the BR-era diesels, (because although they are from the '60s and '70s they seem so "ancient" to me), but I can definitely see the appeal of old routes and trains, as they are generally more interesting and require more attention to drive (like the 313, 155, etc...).
    I actually think they managed to strike a good balance now, before SE HS the only two modern british routes were GWE and ECW (with very little variety), and it is interesting the next route will be a somewhat "middle ground" built in the modern day but with dated, but not too old stock. I wonder if the next route will be another historic recreation or some ultra modern Thameslink or Greatear Anglia route with the new Desiro or the Flirts :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I would think its pretty certain that the next British route after Cathcart will be historic and something for Steam. DTG won't release Steam as a Loco DLC, they will want something flashy like a new route to go with it and it will almost certainly be British as it will be easier for them to research and get right.

• Like Like x 3
  14. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Destination boards are still broken on SEHS with new Bugs like Rochester on the Class 375
    DTG Natster i post this on Twitter because the photo is too big to upload here.
    H is not the only missing letter and I saw the Same issues on the Class 395.
    Can DTG finally fixed a thing and not make it more broken?
    https://twitter.com/batmanwwe_/status/1369719335409815561?s=21

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I play this game. I feel sorry for those youngsters who never really experienced real trains hauled by real locomotives. At least here in the US, we still have some of that. Even our commuter trains are loco hauled, in many places. The modern trains, like the HST or the ICE can be a fun diversion for a short run, but I'm always drawn back to the older British and American steam and diesel locos.

• Like Like x 5
  16. midlandsignaller

midlandsignaller Member

Adam said on the roadmap stream yesterday that the East Coastway Route PIS Screens were done but I haven't seen them yet working, have they been released as an update yet? Thank You.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidY

DavidY New Member

Thanks to Sam and Adam for covering my question on the stream last night.
    I hope it was obvious from my original question that I didn't really think it was that simple, but it was really interesting to hear the reasons why.
    For instance I'd never thought previously about the need to loop sounds, but as soon as it was mentioned it was obvious why it would be needed.

18. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think people like yourself who like older stuff, as well as people who like more modern stuff have much to complain about. TSW, for British content at least, has catered very well for a wide range of tastes so far. We have modern routes with modern trains (SEHS, ECW), we have old routes with old trains (NTP, TVL) and we have modern routes with old trains (GWE, WSR, IOW, Bakerloo and Cathcart). We have more modern routes, but more old trains overall so its a pretty good mix.

You may think that TSW is heading towards more modern UK content but I disagree, mainly due to the fact that steam is coming which almost certainly means we will get another historic route and more historic stock after Cathcart Circle. Therefore it makes sense to me for DTG to make another route set in modern times in the meantime.

• Like Like x 4
  19. solicitr

If anyone is underserved it's fans of German vintage.

• Like Like x 6
  20. tallboy7648

Well apparently a majority of the German Players wouldn't like a historic or vintage german route according to dtg

21. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

They have not been added to the release build yet. If what Sam has said in the past still holds true -- that they try to time updates to the same country/region in the release schedule -- then the East Coastway PIS may release the Tuesday before Cathcart Circle. Then again, they may wait until the Preserved Crew has touched up the rest of the route so they don't have to make everyone download the entire route twice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. theorganist

That's true, I would love to see some old German routes. I love some of the old German trains, I want some of the old Fleischmann catalogue recreated!

• Like Like x 1
  23. theorganist

Yes maybe you are right I suppose I am being needlessly pessimistic. Let's see where the future lies. Obviously steam will hopefully bring one or two historic routes unless they just model preserved routes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

HST - built 1975 - 1982 - 37-45 years old
    ICE - 1985 onwards - 35 years old

I think we need a standard definition of "modern" lol

• Like Like x 4
  25. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You will find memory use reduction at the roadmap. Still in production. During the stream Sam said he would interrogate them about progress and some more detail. Once this is solved, they may turn on additional layers for consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

True, I have always considered the class 313/314 as modern as they were in my favourite time period but of course they aren't now and are almost extinct!

27. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

There are different ICE train generation. The one we have in game with the BR 403/406 exists since 1997.

But I'd love to see old german rolling stock. The only oldies we have are the BR 143 and 155. But there are the legends like the BR 103, 120, 401 etc. and the old passenger coaches like the n-Wagen, x-Wagen, m-Wagen which are just missing. At least TSG builds the 420 which is kinda old school as well.

• Like Like x 4
  28. ARuscoe

The direct quote was included in my post and didn't specify, it just said ICE

29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I probably should have said "traditional" or "loco hauled", but I think most people will get my meaning.

30. ARuscoe

See I thought of that, but then to many people a HST set would be coaches with two locos, one at each end, so is that loco hauled, push pull, DMU?
    Either way I guess what the "traditionalists" want is a big heavy loco doing the work and a load of coaches doing not that much bar being dragged

Me? My rail era would be the early nineties in Regional Railways land (I was in Cardiff at the time) so Sprinters, Alphalines, 1xx local units

31. theorganist

Originally the HST's were classified as DMU's classes 253 and 254 then BR decided to class them as individual locomotives (class 43) and carriages.

As a traditionalist, I of course love locomotives and coaches, but also anything which ran at the time HST's/313's etc included. For me the downfall for train simulation when it has come to "modelling" and given era is the complete lack of multiple units. On TS1 you can accurately depict virtually all loco hauled services from the 70's and 80's yet the paucity of DMU's means you have to use the same units again and again when in reality most areas had as much of a variety of DMU's as loco's and EMU's are virtually non existent, especially AC EMU's. I am dreading what the situation will be like with TSW in that regards!

My sister went to Uni in Cardiff (and never returned) in the 90's and I can remember the railways around there and the Valley Lines Pacers and the Alphaline Sprinters plus things the various loco hauled trains on the Rhymney or Merthyr branch, I cannot remember which. I wouldn't mind seeing more Regional Railways period routes, it isn't an era widely covered.

32. ARuscoe

Alphalines were 158s, not sprinters per se :)
    I worked as a "trolly dolly" out of Cardiff Central for a few months in 1995 and worked exclusively on 158s either on Swansea, Birmingham NS or Manc Pic runs.

• Like Like x 1
  33. theorganist

Yes I remember they were 158's. You might have served my sister then as it was around that time she was using the trains between Cardiff and Birmingham!

34. ARuscoe

Who knows... As with any serving duty the people just become faces after a while (and it was 25 years ago)

35. theorganist

Lol don't worry, I didn't expect you to remember!

36. solicitr

The flaw in that logic is that not all purchasers of German content are German!

• Like Like x 3
  37. tallboy7648

But hey that's what dtg have said so I don't know what to say. I guess they want to cater to German players more....

• Like Like x 1
  38. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well, last time a DTG official referrenced to it, it was called a "major bias towards modern", not "totally rejecting any vintage", so, there will be a market also in Germany. And still a question, how "modern" is defined as in DTGs terms. Does modern only means present day routes? OK, steam isn't modern, but well, for myself, modern would begin by the inauguration of the InterCity-system, the planing of high speed routes, so somewhat around the 70s. Someone else maybe define modern begins with the ICE-1. So, modern shouldn't mean 'only present day stuff'.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Well, the newest "era" according to the DTG code is 2011+. While RSN is set a bit earlier if memory serves, I‘d guess that is how they define modern for the most part. Prior to 2010 (especially the early 2000s), there was still a large variety of older locos in DB use. It‘s only really since around 2005 that you barely see something other than TRAXXs and their Siemens counterparts. So it would be a terrible shame if DTG define modern as narrow as I think they do.

40. tallboy7648

More modern routes the better :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. solicitr

Well, MSB isn't exactly present-day, and wasn't when released: Heigenbrucken and the old tunnel were completely bypassed in 2017.

But really what is meant is anything which isn't all TRAXX, Eurosprinters, EMUs and Verkehrsrot. Bundesbahn era, and into early pre-sectorized DBAG.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Myself, I have always thought that the conventional dividing line between Epochs III and IV, 1965, is off- 1971 was when things really changed, with the introduction of the IC and the S-Bahn.* Even visually- DB trains were all in very subdued colors before the 70s.)

*Yes, Hamburg and Berlin had had Schnellstadtbahnen since forever. But the first modern S-Bahn was built in Munchen in preparation for the 1972 Olympics- white trains with bright blue and orange window bands!)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  42. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

43. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

wrong thread

• Like Like x 1
  44. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Very happy to see the list of bug fixes in the “Upcoming” section as having a specific team going back to some of the preserved collection routes is a very smart move by DTG. I’m glad to see such a turn around from DTG and the community that’s been here since the early days of TSW surely appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  45. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I feel like I've been too negative these days, so yes I agree, it's great to finally see some focus on older content, given the fact they don't gain much in doing those things we should really be thankful.

• Like Like x 2