Have Dtg Got Themselves Into A ‘out Of Control’ Situation?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 12, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Some of you may be aware of a certain YouTuber who used to work for DTG, on TSW, and has given their insight into the issues DTG face and what they are and aren’t doing. The video can be viewed here

Be aware the video is quite long, and I don’t take everything said for gospel, and take it with a pinch of salt if you wish, but I did pick up on some quite interesting and concerning issues within the way things are managed. That’s providing if the claims are true.

I will summarise these claims below:

Release dates are more important than the state of the DLC:
    We often claim that QA haven’t done a good job at finding and issuing bugs, but what is likely to be really going on is that they have their hands tied. Despite reporting these issues, there’s no guarantee that they will even be looked at or fixed, because they are working on an extremely tight and unrealistic schedule for the amount of work required.

Big issues with the way coding is done:
    - DTG use linear coding instead of using an oriented object design solution.

What does this mean you may ask?
    It means instead of features and the way things being linked to the core, each route has its own set of individual codes, which have the be individually seen to on a route-by-route basis. This is very time consuming, as can be seen by the roadmap, and the route affected by these issue(s) may not be seen to for more than a year, if at all.

So instead of using a set of instructions which will change everything across the entire game, these are done on a route by route basis.

For example, a fix for track rendering, as they are working for on LIRR, is NOT part of the core game, therefore, they will need to make the same fix on every individual route in the game. That’s IF they even get to work on it.

Another example is the skybox. Instead of being part of the core game, which it can then apply to all routes at once, this again is not part of the core game so it will need to be done separately, each time.

The same can be said for sound issues, too.

This is just one of MANY issues with everything being independent of each other, and not part of the core game. Each route is essentially a separate game inside TSW which presents itself its own, individual issues which cannot be managed globally.

The coding itself:
    - Broken coding is not fixed, but is instead modified, to try and ‘fix’ or hide these issues, which subsequently causes more issues in the long term.
    - Adding to the above, the modified coding is cut and paste across all routes, which transfers the bugs and issues to this route, and is then modified further specifically for the route.

So this is like continuing to build on broken foundations, adding more floors to it, which will eventually make it unstable and topple. In TSW’s case, it’ll make it run very inefficiently.

This is why even new routes have the same old issues we faced 2 or 3 years ago, because it uses the same, broken and modified coding from older routes, which was never fixed.

I’ll let you decide for yourself, but ultimately taking shortcuts and releasing DLC in an unfinished state inspires little confidence for things to improve in the future.

• Like Like x 47
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

There is a good reason why they do it this way (they did it the same way in the legacy TS), and that is regression. Because of the amount of DLC the series has you want to minimize impact your code changes have to already released content (and not only your, but also third-party). It is one of the reasons why in TS 2021 you can still play railworks content without much of an issue.

If you do it the other way around - that is centralized core functionality that is shared between dlcs, then a simple PZB fix can break a timetable, or a scenario of 5+ years old route that has worked just because of this bug. The same, you don't want to be automatically changing skyboxes and tracks on old content, because you do not know which bugs might be introduced.

The amount of testing required for even the minor fixes would be insanse. Yes, the downside is that backporting new stuff, or fixes to older products is more time consuming. But that's the way it is in SW development.. each approach will have it pros and cons, and you oftentime end up with a compromise.

As a senior developer in a reputable SW company, I would have choosen the same approach.

• Like Like x 35
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Is any of this anything that wasn’t suspected anyway, or even straight up said so by DTG? It’s always been clear that DLC comes out regardless, even the GWL pack that just released is full of bugs and all that pack is, is a new timetable.

We’ve always seen that each route is an individual route and isn’t something that’s tied to the core, that’s literally why each DLC gets its own set of fixes for issues, and when those issues are present on other routes they aren’t fixed until that particular route is looked into, but that isn’t something that’s been hidden by DTG, they’ve said multiple times that each route is individual to the core, and new tech or fixes can’t be simply put into every route at once.

DTG do need to do a much better job with QA, however that’s been obvious from the get go, anyone buying new content on release day should be aware that there’s going to be issues, since those are the people that likely buy multiple DLC’s from DTG, it’s always been the case that issues caught pre release are usually fixed post release, it’s not right but it’s the way it is and always has been with DTG.

As for the coding method, that’s something DTG are probably well aware of being an issue, and will either A) work it out, or B) go the way of TSXX, but again, DTG have always said that the routes are independent of each other.

I haven’t watched the video because I don’t really have the time to listen to someone talking about what’s already likely been discussed here and in other places, but going off your summary, it just seems like drama for drama’s sake, with no real revelation of anything we don’t already know.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

When I decide to look at a review or an opinion I look for balanced opinions. This YouTuber cannot be accused of that. I saw his latest poll and apart from stating that ‘DTG are alienating their customers’, which is certainly not a fact to me, He goes on to only present negative responses.

He might be right, he might be wrong. To me he comes across as someone with a grudge trying to harm a company’s reputation.

Now DTG as we all know is not perfect. But On the TSW. Side, I’m generally happy and nobody is forcing me to pay for their products. I do so voluntarily. On the TS side I’m not so happy there are many things that are bugged and they don’t even acknowledge them in the forum. In TSW the communication is better, largely due to Sam. Fixes have been arriving regularly and so long as they deliver patches that they promise, I can live with a few bugs.

Opinions vary though and that’s what makes things interesting.

• Like Like x 13
  5. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

I always said that DTG doesn't know how to manage the game, and this gentleman just prove me that. DTG is a joke and turned TSW in a dlc machine, without any improvements, new features or new ways of gameplay. LiVeRy DeSiGnEr is a joke because this is a train sim and not a painting sim... But keep suporting DTG fan boys.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Tigert1966

Thanks for your permission. I will do so.

• Like Like x 29
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s funny because DTG is so bad and yet here you are.

• Like Like x 17
  8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

9. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

They love to talk in circles

• Like Like x 1
  10. helderbrincolas

A resume of what is DTG boys and girls

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I think there’s a point were you genuinely have to ask yourself, why I am still playing, why I’m still buying the DLC, if it really is that bad, then it’s something I wouldn’t be getting upset over or losing time, or spending hard-earned money on.

Criticism is fine, constructive criticism is welcome, DTG have said that, but when every post that you’re making is constantly engaging in targeted repetitive criticism. And anyone who disagrees, is a fanboy. What’s the point?!

• Like Like x 25
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You might be taken seriously if you stop using childish pejorative terms like "fan boys"!

• Like Like x 17
  13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think this has been pretty clear from the beginning, DTG never ever missed a release date for any TSW product, it would seem like as soon as the product is "not broken" gets a green light for release, we saw this in SE HS, it was delayed, but seems like just barely enough to make a "working" route.

Although I actually don't mind now, we got a clear demonstration DTG improves their products after release if they are sub par, you could argue LGV should have been released last week (because it still received updates so long after release even if we don't know them because they are missing from the patch notes). At the end it's their decision to publish a half finished product and continue to improve it, or hold onto it and release it once it's fully finished, I think Adam's team resolved this issue, as it basically guarantees products will receive attention after release.

About the way they code I am not competent enough to judge it, I'm sure if they made it that way there must be a reason, nobody likes to do extra useless work that leads to worse products.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

oh, Jesus, not this same illogic again. You get additional layers if you happen to own other DLC. Well, duh! Same as the German routes. It's somewhere between dishonest and pinheaded to claim that these are "hidden costs" to pile on top of the purchase price

• Like Like x 5
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the video yet, I might not bother but some of these youtube "lets create a mountain out of a molehill" videos are frankly irritating. It as almost as if they are trying to turn a train simulator into some kind of soap opera with scandal and intrigue, well I can watch Eastenders if I want that, it is a piece of software at the end of the day.

Also, if he is an ex employee does he have an axe to grind, not saying he does, but it is the first thing which springs to mind! That is why I can't understand why people tell you to look at "glass ceiling" to gauge whether you should deal with a company or not! Well hello, sacked disgruntled employee wants to take his ire out on his ex boss, go on glass ceiling and tell the world what an awful company they are to work for!

• Like Like x 14
  16. solicitr

"former volunteer beta tester" <> "used to work for DTG"

• Like Like x 5
  17. Tigert1966

If anything these videos prove DTG do not shy away from negative feedback. Substantial parts of them are DTG footage. Not his own gameplay. I think It would be easy to copyright strike. But they don’t.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Its interesting but I think my salt intake will be quite high! OOP is not a panacea, look online for lots of interesting debates about OOP vs functional programming, TLDR its a live issue but you should use the right tool for the job.

There are clearly some issues, why do locos have to be tied to routes? Why are there several different versions of the same thing that have some similar but some different bugs? These are valid questions and I do hope it isn't a limitation that has accidentally being built in by the way the game is built. It would be one thing to be an engine limitation, but something else if decisions made years ago are still holding this game back.

I guess my main worry would be the overlap between these things:
    1. need for revenue and importance of shipping dates over anything else
    2. time required to go back and refactor coding so that it is stronger, more consistent and more scalable.

If 2 takes time and effort away from new content that generates sales, then 1 precludes or dissuades the company from choosing to do that.

Yes its short-termism, absolutely, but developers have been leaving companies to set up their own businesses for this reason since coding began! https://blog.thecodewhisperer.com/permalink/the-eternal-struggle-between-business-and-programmers

• Like Like x 2
  19. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

TSW2 itself was delayed by 2 weeks.

• Like Like x 4
  20. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep, if X feature will only be part of the new DLC, the value of that DLC increased, and that will probabily improve sales.

If they implemented road crossings everywhere as soon as they released SEHS, the route would be a little less special

I remember that, and it only took a huge backlash from almost every single person playing TSW, something that can only happen for core updates, GWB can be bugged to the point of being unplayable, I would not complain since I couldn't care less about british '70s trains... same for the BR101 cab car, etc...

Not even the broken lighting in SE HS could push that release date back, neither the ability to use AWS in GWB it seems. Unless it's something huge (like losing support for all your DLCs worth hundreds of your local currency) once the date is set, it won't change.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Shaun123

Let’s be clear, the people who decide the release dates and the ones who do the developing/route building are completely separate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As I said, as long as the routes get updated after release (like LGV) they can release them even without any scenery at all. If they believe releasing routes half finished and bringing updates is what makes the most money, fine, as long as we still get a good product after the updates are finished.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  23. helderbrincolas

AHAHAHAHA, i can't believe i read this

• Like Like x 13
  24. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Believe whatever you want... you don't have to buy anything the day is released, if a product you want does not meet your standards wait until it gets improved or don't buy it. I'm sure that's what many people did for SE HS. If they believe it makes more money to release half finished products they won't stop just to make us happy.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

He does have a point though. As long as people keep buying unfinished products, they are supporting these practices by DTG.

I, personally, will not even consider buying the Diesel Legends pack until they added in those freight services. DTG has damaged my trust by falsely promising extra services for Bakerloo line.

Although I usually rarely ever buy something on release day. I usually wait a bit for reviews and bugfixes to happen. Although I did pre-order Arosa Line.

• Like Like x 7
  26. solicitr

I never buy any software, gaming or otherwise, on the release date. Always buggy, without exception; best to wait for the patches.

Does anyone think DTG is unique in this? Name your game studio, or well-known AAA game: Red Dead Redemption, Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim-- they all launched with major bugs. And this is not a function of either laziness or greed, but rather that in any software product with as many millions, literally, of permutations as a game, the QA team simply cannot reproduce them all an any near-finite amount of time.

I did watch about half of the OP's video. It seems that while there is logic in what he has to say about object-oriented planning, it isn't a one-size-fits-all panacaea, especially in a modular product like TSW. If route and loco programming largely consists of calls to the core, that's all well and good- until a change to the core breaks all the existing DLC.

I also think that DTG are already using OOP to an extent not realized by the vlogger- otherwise changes to the core wouldn't be breaking existing DLC! Take for example the dynamic brakes issue with EMD locomotives. No changes were made on March 2 to either route, SPG or PC: the culprit had to be a change to the core (I suspect something done in preparation for Clinchfield (which, again, suggests a level of OOP is in use)). OTOH, I think that some of the linear, piecemeal approach he is complaining about is in evidence as well, because it seems clear that Adam received the complaints regarding Sand Patch, specifically, but fixed the issue in Sand Patch only, IOW at the route level not the core level, because the problem remains in Peninsula Corridor.

• Like Like x 3
  27. solicitr

"Falsely promising?" That smacks of the OP vlogger's whinge about steam. You know perfectly well that until memory optimization, Bakerloo can't handle additional services without crashing.

It's really kind of amusing: complaints on the one hand about DTG releasing things before they are ready, and not taking their time to get them right, and then complaints (sometimes by the same people!) about how long something is taking and why isn't DTG releasing X right now now now?

• Like Like x 8
  28. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Do as you like. But they made a promise, and they couldn't live up to the promise. Extra Bakerloo services was on the roadmap, then it dissapeared. At the release of Bakerloo, we were under the impression that the extra services would be added, because that's what DTG told us.

Now I totally understand memory optimization needs to be done before extra services can be added. But they should've thought of this BEFORE making promises.

And that is why I'm hesitant about the extra services promised for the Diesel Legends pack. No thanks. I'll wait for the extra services to be added, and then consider a purchase.

• Like Like x 5
  29. Shaun123

I would say trying to add the Bakerloo extra services in the first place, saw the memory issue rear it’s head, rather than promising the addition of Bakerloo line services, whilst knowing there memory optimisation issues to address first.

• Like Like x 3
  30. solicitr

That is a function of the developing roadmap system, not "false promises." The Roadmap until February simply included too much stuff and had to be pruned back; the fact that X or Y "disappeared" does not meant that DTG have roundfiled it, just that they've cleared the clutter out of the Roadmap. Same thing applies to layers for HMA on console and any number of other improvements, formerly listed, which simply can't happen until a condition prior is fulfilled.

• Like Like x 4
  31. flyingpaul

flyingpaul Member

There is still the other example with TrackIR. At the anouncement of TSW2 it was stated that TrackIR will be implemented 1-2 months after the release and now it disappeared from the roadmap. And this was done with Sams new approach, that only things that will definitely come to TSW2 are "promised". I couldn't care less about TrackIR, I don't have it, I don't use it, I don't need it, but it was promised that it will come.
    So yes, there were promises and at the moment they disappeared. So for now they lost my trust as well.

• Like Like x 3
  32. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

You know, it all works out over time.

On TS I waited for a smooth game and it just arrived after 10 years !!
    With the little patch that releases the speed of the SSD this month, the game is finally fluid and I would like to thank DTG.

In short, for TSW2 it will always be the same problem but no matter what, we will buy for lack of something better, I even want to say that on TSW2 it is much better than on TS.

I'm not the type to pinall for a fence, all that matters to me is that the game works and that the "little" bugs don't prevent me from playing.
    There are bugs in all games and always will be, nothing is perfect.

In the meantime, I want the Clinchfield ......

• Like Like x 2
  33. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

You do it too you are there ....

34. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

First of all: I will add my own thoughts on this problem but will not respond to any other posts in this thread.
    A major problem with TSW is that it is a highly modular game but lacks a modular core to support this. DTG have managed to get the signalling system on SKA wrong even though the exact same system was implemented correctly in RT 3 years earlier. This shows that this system is not a core function but is rather modified for every new route. I am not a programmer myself, the most complicated thing I ever implemented was a double-linked list., but even I can see that DTG clearly have a problem with their way of coding.
    The thing that most players are annoyed about is the lack of bug fixes. RT still has suicidal passengers. That's a great feature if you want to test the Emergency Brake but gameplay-wise unacceptable. This is not a hard fix, just put an invisible wall at the gates. This could have been done by one programmer in one day.
    And because there aren't any bug fixes the value of the product doesn't feel correct. For the amount of work that goes into building a route the prices are fair, but as a player, broken features that directly impact my driving are much more problematic than a missing air hose between two coaches.
    And I don't even have a problem with all DLCs having bugs when they are released. But everything that is older than a month is now up to the Preservation Crew (PC). And that's a lot of work for such a small team. The original intention behind the PC was to bring features from newer route (like PIS displays) to old content. That's brilliant and is a really good service for the players. But as we can see now, the PC is mainly a bug fixing team. PC has a tough job, they have to be able to work on everything in TSW. The original programmer would be much faster in finding and fixing bugs in his own code than someone who hasn't worked on the main product at all.
    What also bothers me is the speed of development. DTG isn't a small studio but still, new features take forever to be released. Many feature are already available as mods for TSW. If we take a look at ViewApp, the developer of TramSim, they are much smaller than DTG but manage to enhance their game every month with new features and quick bug fixes.
    Another problem is marketing. When TSW2 was released the BR 442 (Talent 2) was marketed as a completely new train, not at all a copy of the RT BR 442. This is true for the model but the core functions have just been copied. The door controls for example can only be pressed when the train stands still. This isn't a feature in modern DLCs, but was implemented like this in Rapid Transit.
    The last problem is the DLC policy. Layers are a great feature but for casual or new players it's very hard to find out what to buy. If you only want the BR 425 you have to buy a full route. It would be better to separate locos and routes into separate DLCs. When you buy a new route you will essentially get two DLCs, the route and the loco. But if you only want the loco you can just buy that without the route for the standard price of 15€. This is also useful if you don't want the route installed on your PC but have the loco from it.

• Like Like x 9
  35. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

As always we encourage you to share your feedback, and we appreciate you sharing your honest opinions.

Constructive feedback is incredibly valuable, and it helps us to better understand where we are going wrong and how to take steps to improve going forward.

Some of the issues mentioned in this thread have been brought up before, and aren't being ignored. I will continue to share your sentiments and feelings of frustration.

However please try and remain civil in this thread. You don't have to agree with one another.

I understand it can be challenging when someone has a completely different opinion to your own, but calling someone names or antagonising one another won't help anyone.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  36. solicitr

There's a certain inconsistency in those two paragraphs; the first decries the lack of core integration and route-by-route implementation, but the second calls for a route-specific fix!

To be consistent with the first paragraph, RT's and every other route's lunatic passengers should be fixed at the core NPC AI level.

• Like Like x 1
  37. solicitr

Is that the case? My impression was that Adam's team's portfolio is specifically the Preserved Collection, that is, the routes and locos ported over from TSW2020, not TSW2-native stuff.

38. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Preserved Collection = anything that's been released. So even the newer TSW2 stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

The level crossings and suicidal passenger on RT are route specific and do not occur anywhere else. But the signalling system is not a route-specific feature this should be a core function. If it would be a core function there shouldn't be the bugs that we have with it right now.

PC is working through the oldest DLC at first but eventually get to modern DLCs. When a new DLC is released you can see that there are bug fixes in the beginning. But they stop pretty quickly and the only team that would work with this is PC. So there are two options: Either there will never be fixes or we have to wait for PC to work on it.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I think the memory issues may of reared it's ugly head before Bakerloo, infact before TSW2. Remember NTP and they were unable to add anymore services to that route after the freight pack because of issues!?! I also remember them saying they had an 'engineer' looking at it.

We've seen no more additional services added to that route.

• Like Like x 3
  41. solicitr

Um, no.

• Like Like x 1
  42. solicitr

You haven't played much LIRR......

• Like Like x 1
  43. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

I have, but I didn't have any passengers walking across a closed level crossing yet. I had some passengers standing in the middle of the track but not the problem that I have described with RT.

• Like Like x 1
  44. solicitr

So there's the thing. Passengers, across the whole game world, are idiots. If they had access to grade crossings on other routes they'd walk across them too. So- should DTG do exactly what the OP is opposed to, fix individual routes piecemeal, or should they give the passengers a gamewide brains upgrade?

45. flamingoodmedia

flamingoodmedia Member

The videos discussed in this thread feel very embittered when watched, and come from a youtuber whose content I’ve enjoyed in the past, and for me that’s a shame, it almost feels like personal beef ...

That said you can apply your own filter to what’s being said, it’s good to learn about things in 360 & hear different viewpoints, some of the things mentioned are no doubt true and some have been reported elsewhere if you dig about, and it’s true there’s sometimes an air of the political coming across in DTG streams, and then there’s the hard to sometimes fathom out Colonel ;) Often speaking for but sometimes almost against the institution, I can’t quite work him out, I like to think he’s a bit of a trojan horse keeping DTG on their toes when a ropey release comes out, yet at the same time he seems almost condescending to the core audience, which I think is also mentioned in the youtube analysis ...

• Like Like x 4
  46. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think that is because at times DTG are their own worst enemies and even though Sam has told them some things, people still make easy statements they can't back up as easily.

Equally there are some occasional idiotic comments from the community that rightly deserve to be ridiculed, the always asked questions that suggest the same people are watching their first stream each and every week (and sometimes each hour or part thereof!) If it was a different crowd each week then sure the attitude wouldn't be warranted but how many times do you want to answer the same questions from the same people who patently don't listen to your answer.

• Like Like x 1
  47. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Well ok I think I will start boycotting your channel my friends and I will even unsubscribe right away ..

You have a serious problem with DTG buddy.
    I think he got you kicked out and you just want revenge, that's not a nice way to do it.
    In short, I will continue to have fun on my favorite game and leave you in your infamous mortality.

The worst part about it is that people are going to believe a righteous person based on a video.

I've been playing train games for 10 years, I've loved it all, whether it's trainZ, MSTS, railworks, ts, tsw1 and tsw2 ...
    In short, I also from time to time I was not satisfied with what I saw or bought but in this case, if I do not like I do not take, I will not "denigrate" the work others especially when I myself will be unable to do the same.
    Respect is for everyone the same and it is like parting yourself.

Ho and I'm not a DTG fanboy, besides I've already "yelled" at them several times, but without ever being as disgusting as you Mister.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It is not necessarily correct to blame this feature segmentation on functional programming (as opposed to object-oriented). Train Sim World is ultimately founded on C++, an object-heavy language. DTG no doubt uses plentiful objects in their code as it would be virtually impossible to build a functional game using only functional programming (it would require a lot of cumbersome loops and pointers). Features themselves like skyboxes, locomotives, etc., are all objects with data structures and attributes. So I do not think it is the lack of objects that is causing this behaviour, but rather an intentional decision to segment the DLC into standalone, independent content.

Why would they do this?

If the infrastructure for each route (think grade crossings, skybox, signalling, etc.) were all interfaced to the core, that means that if any changes are made to the core software, then the DLC will automatically reflect this change in behaviour. This is good right? Well, it depends. I have criticised DTG in the past for not taking this approach, but there is a legitimate reason not to do so. For one, it cannot be certain that the change to the base code will not break DLC. We have seen this happen before, even recently with the EMD dynamic brakes, that an innocuous change to the base code can have unforeseen knock-on effects on existing DLC. By packaging the necessary infrastructure within each DLC, DTG can be certain that core changes will not break existing content as it will always rely on the preserved infrastructure. This is especially true for older DLCs that were made with older, more antiquated (euphemism for poorly-coded) systems. By allowing DLC to function with independent infrastructure, DTG does not need to QA old content to ensure that it still works whenever a core change is made. This means that they would be more likely to add and adjust features to the game as new routes come out, because they do not have the fear of breaking something old.

Now, personally, I would prefer to see core improvements automatically applied to existing DLC, as quite frankly it is difficult to go back to older routes with poor skyboxes and various other bits when the newer routes feature so much extra functionality. No doubt, Adam and his team have their work cut out for them, as they are essentially playing an endless game of catch-up. Whenever a new feature is released, it will want to be added to older routes. But as time goes on and more routes are released, this becomes a more and more time-consuming task with each feature. I think this is the problem that DTG is facing, that their tried-and-true business model of releasing DLC and then forgetting about it is now biting them in the arse for having shown desire to change ways. They have incurred much technical debt from years of this segmentation practice that it is sandbagging any efforts to reverse their traditional policy and actually improve older routes over time. It is not technical inadequacy in using functional versus object-oriented programming, but the overall design philosophy of the game—something which the Senior Producer is no doubt answering for.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. solicitr

I think almost anyone would get a little frustrated, and a little snarky, after being asked, and answering, the same basic questions a thousand times. Especially if he has done so in that very stream and yet late arrivals keep asking the same damn questions.

I do think Sam is in a difficult position -stuck in the middle between players and DTG management - and on the whole handles it pretty well with good humour. And yet still manages to get some points across, even if they are what a) players or b) DTG management don't necessarily want to hear.

• Like Like x 4
  50. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.

Adam and his team are basically running after a runaway train, which is travelling at a faster speed than they can ever get up to, and the distance between them and that train is always increasing. Ultimately, this means the amount of work will continue to increase indefinitely.

Not only do they have to fix bugs but they also have to try and port newer features in from other routes into older routes. A massive amount of work for such a small team.

• Like Like x 6