Diesel Legends Great Western Pack First Impression

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jpantera, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Took a plunge as was swayed by a discount on day 1 release.

Main thing I liked was the chance to hear the old diesels opened up full thrash as per the real thing. It didnt dissapoint, first run was behind a 45 out of Paddington. The difference between the Pennine route and this one is line speed is far greater meaning a lot longer at full power. The 45 opened up out of Paddington and eased off slightly before Passing Old Oak with the handle back again. Looking forward to runs with other engines also based on this one.

I dont always load this game as a train driver but often as just a walk up and sit back passenger.

I had all the engines already on other DLC but can appreciate the work that has gone into this, yes it needs the freight adding but that is in the pipeline and will be added when ready.

Its entertained me for an hour or so this evening so job done for now. Probably some room for improvement (I dont recall seeing a brake vehicle in the 31s consists but may have missed that).

Would be nice to see more packs like this down the road with TSW2.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I wasn't planning on buying this but well, there was some refund money left on Steam so... Anyway I knew what to expect so I'm not dissapointed. But please DTG, get rid of "Go via location" objectives, it's kind of annoying. Class 101 has new destinations and cab door opening has changed (you don't need to open the window anymore). But does it brake worse than before or is it just me?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I was having to dump the vacuum to stop in time. I usually reduce vacuum to 10" and it slows down nicely but it was having little effect. The 6 car on the Trans Pennine pulls up quicker even downhill! I'm used to it now and start braking earlier but it feels like the train doesn't want to stop.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I bought it purely for the timetable to give me more raildriver compatible stuff to play with. I can fully see why people don’t like the pack, but they have the option not to buy it.

For me, I spent too much time yesterday ripping up and down in a class 52 and really enjoyed it.

I count the value based on how many Big Mac meals could I have bought for the same money. Answer 1.25. So the 3 hours I got from it last night already paid for itself. A Big Mac would definitely not last that long :D

(Disclaimer McDonalds is really expensive here compared to UK)

• Like Like x 8
  5. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

I would love to see packs like this for the german routes.

• Like Like x 4
  6. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I am enjoying the content and have spent most the time after work yesterday and from very early this morning driving it.

Interesting observation on the 101 cyclecky and Tonto62 - I think I will go do some testing to see if they're different. I have found its always been a bit of a pig in the braking department and I remember on an old LMS instruction video "Diesel Driver" they commented on making sure you brake early. I'll come back here after doing some testing with a stopwatch.

Paul

7. paul.pavlinovich

cyclecky and Tonto62 you are completely correct - it stops slower on GWS

101 Stopping Tests 3 car DMU

Methodology:
    Flat Ground
    Same weather (summer, all sliders at left)
    Same consist (3 car DMU) - I had to uncouple cars in GWS to do this :)
    Same time (as near to 7am as possible with available services)

Reach the required speed on level ground then coast for 5 seconds then fully apply the brake starting from fully released (in lap position) timing how long to stop in seconds using a stopwatch from moving the handle to showing 0 on the HUD. Brakes applied using Raildriver so move to full appply near enough to instant.

Tees Valley
    Speed Tees Valley GWS/Diesel Legends
    10mph 6.25 7.6
    30mph 16.03 23.25
    50mph 28.36 42.3

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

So TSW2 is good for your health. DTG should market that! :D

• Like Like x 6
  9. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to purchase this but someone bought it me for my birthday. it will be better once the freight services are released and ALL the loco's finally get raildriver support. AWS isn't working with the Class 52 on raildriver. As this pack is a timetable pack I was really pissed when the first 5 class 52 runs wouldn't work. All the runs that start at midnight, once loaded, you are without a loco
    this bug is really annoying my OCD aswell
    Untitled.png

10. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

As the Paddington line has a great significance to me in my life I was more than happy to buy the pack. I actually like it with a couple of issues. One the ‘go via’ makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain what it achieves. Secondly some of the markers for platforms stops seem way off. Arriving at Reading the Class 52 stop was perhaps two thirds up the platform leaving the end carriages opening beyond the platform. Did they set the markers up based on the length of one of the rakes and then use it for all of them?

Then there’s the need to unhook the loco that brought the train into the platform head at Paddington. Yes, that was reality but on every service it gets a little tedious. After all the driver wouldn’t be uncoupling at Paddington anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  11. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Waste of time without a period WR route to run them on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the ‘go via’s’ are there because the pathing on GWE is a bit of a mess. They are there to keep everything where it’s supposed to be.

The Class 52 services not working, and the stop markers being in the wrong place are not really acceptable.

• Like Like x 4
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

They did go via’s previously for freight so that the action points would be more competitive with the passenger services, the probably did the same thing here because the loco services don’t stop anywhere, and the go via counts as an objective, so you get the 500 AP.

The markers for go via don’t intervene with the pathing since that is preset for the service, the markers are just added after the fact, presumably for the reasons above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Matt did mention in the preview stream that they were there for pathing reasons.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jpantera

After a second go on this some things for improvement.

Class 31 hauled services-No brake vehicles present. This is a rule book requirement for Loco hauled trains in passenger service that they cannot start without an operable brake vehicle in the consist.

Locos arriving onto trains are class 5 ? Thats normally empty coaching stock. Class 0 for light engine movements in timetables.

Also the drivers on AI are driving from the rear from OOC to Padd. They did used to drive from rear onto stock during shunting moves but wouldnt have driven all that way from the rear cab...

If any of the above is incorrect then apologies but thats from my experience following railway practices since the 1980s so if the 70s was different fair enough.

No shunting services after the morning? Same as NTPs heavy freight addon. More shunting would occur through the day or most likely as sets come back on to shed after service that day.

My comments above dont detract from the enjoyment of the pack so far.

Other than that I can only say if you like some early diesel noises and some different gameplay/simulation then its a good DLC.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  16. gary dean

gary dean Member

Hi well done DTG for bringing out this pack ,its nice to bring something new to GWE route as its my favourite TSW route.
    It seems you cant please everyone,if you do not like the add on just dont buy it.
    Gary

• Like Like x 8
  17. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes not buy

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Well you buy packs or routes depending what you want to collect and supporting the product. my preference is uk route/stock. Regardless what era. I do this to add more enjoyment. The second time table is a great idea but charging 5 scenarios and a time table mode with the trains I already own for £15. Think you can see why people would be a bit disappointed in that.

• Like Like x 3
  19. hoagy

hoagy Member

My first reaction was "I can't believe they STILL open the wrong doors on loco-hauled trains with a controller". But yes, they do. This bug afflicts so many locos/routes. It does the right doors via the keyboard, but not via controller. It's such a pain. I don't understand how this keeps getting past QA.

Apart from that, it's "ok". The main problem for me is that GW is a dull route. Once past the first few miles out of Paddington, on the 52 one just leaves it on full throttle and that's basically it. Just a passenger until near Reading. The continual speed changes of other routes (Tees Valley, Northern Trans Pennine, etc, makes them more interesting in terms of gameplay.

Clarification re: doors - I'm using a PS5 controller but running on PC.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It’s fine to be disappointed and make a decision on whether to buy it or not, I am not disappointed myself.

As I said somewhere else, it happens in the music industry all the time. For example I used to collect vinyl records by a certain artist. I had all their singles and then they released a compilation but it had two bonus tracks on it that were exclusive. So If I wanted those 2 tracks I had to pay £20. Another person who hadn’t collected the singles got those 2 bonus tracks and all the other tracks, so they got much more for their money.

I didn’t go complaining on the internet (to be fair I couldn’t, it didn’t exist at the time). I just had to decide if it was worth it to me. I also didn’t expect to get the album cheaper because I already had most of the tracks.

So all I got from this pack was raildriver support and a timetable. Someone who didn’t have the 3 locos got way more than me. But so far I’ve had 8 hours of enjoyment out of it and the weather is terrible tomorrow so I’ll probably double that. So I’m pretty happy with the price I paid, less than £1 an hour even if I never play it again after tomorrow.

That’s just my opinion, I like extra timetables and if they do them for the German lines I will certainly buy them regardless of whether I have the locos or not.

Now I do certainly agree with people that the 101 is a strange choice, though it is good fun to drive on the raildriver. I also understand why people don’t like it because of the modern route and old trains.

There are certainly ways the pack could be improved and as usual there are a few bugs which I hope will get fixed. But I don’t think it’s a problem that some people will get more value than others. Those people just have to decide if it provides value to them or not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What an excellent analogy! Well said.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Jpantera

Couple more things I have noticed-

No tail lamps appear to be Present. I thought maybe this has been raised elsewhere.

Also Loco Hauled Mk2s appear to be numbered oddly (W1234)?

All probably easily fixed down the line..

23. Sim UK

Sim UK Member

I bet the whole song was there though?
    No missing words?
    No scratches on it where it would jump about and behave incorrectly?
    Perhaps you could have bought just that, on its own, and not three other records in order to listen to it all the way through?

Great analogy.

• Like Like x 3
  24. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

That's a great way of looking at things.

• Like Like x 6
  25. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The pack is good but the situation is that some services are not working and the freight ones are not yet available. The first set of them at midnight time (returning locos to depot) spawn you on foot in the middle of Mordor, 18km away from station in the worse case and without any train there. You are supposed to start at London I guess... Also the last scenario for 101 does not complete the last task to load passengers before going to depot.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I was in 2 minds about this DLC. The only thing I was thinking was about having yet another route with a 101. After watching the preview stream I knew I would have to get it.

I had 45118 out from London to Reading and D1055 back. I must say that even though it is old trains on a modern route I found it very enjoyable.

The only 2 things I were wondering though are, are all the 2nd class mk2s should be numbered W12345 and on the long distance services would there of been a buffet car? The 2nd one is a general one, as I only really knew the WCML trains, and that's late 70s onwards.

27. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Apparently the pack isn't supposed to be realistic.

Why they didn't include some mark 1's in blue and grey rather than just the coaches from NTP is beyond me. No brake vehicles on a train I am pretty sure was a big no-no!

• Like Like x 2
  28. Jpantera

I'm unsure on how many of the things I have picked up on along with other users they will rectify. Seems to be a keen effort from the Modders though, thanks to them all the OHLE has gone on my install of GWE and some signage has changed which makes a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  29. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well I bought this in consolation for my disappointment with Switzerland's mossy hills.
    I must say the visceral thrill of taking a dirty old diesel for a thrash far outweighs worries about authenticity.
    Tempted to return to Twyford with my virtuoso horn recital.

The no catenary mod helps as well.

• Like Like x 1
  30. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think the go vias are load in points for assets if I understood Matt correct in one of the streams.

31. Medellinexpat

‘I think the go vias are load in points for assets if I understood Matt correct in one of the streams’

fair enough if a messy way to do it. Why did the original route not need them then?

• Like Like x 1
  32. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Ours is not to reason why, just to buy the dlc...

33. Medellinexpat

Other than the go via points doing nothing for immersion you also don’t get the arrival time at the destination point until you’ve passed the last go via. Rather like not telling the train driver what time he’s meant to arrive into Paddington until he gets to Acton main line. It also seems to me that the timing on the route are based on all out blast runs. I kind of doubt that those diesels, when in service, were at anything like full power for very large amounts of the journey. Does anyone know if the timetabling for these routes matches what would have existed in the 1970s? And on speed the Class 47 has a clear 95 speed limitation in the cab. Does TSW recognize that or just the line speed? The Class 52 should be lower, around 90 I think, but you’ll struggle to make the timetable with that.
    The amount of AI on the routes is also low. It tends to get a little heavier as you near Paddington, but its anything but busy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. solicitr

Actually you do; just press T and the schedule will pop up.

35. theorganist

I have a 1968 and 1975/76 working timetables for the route if someone wants to give me some times I will check them. I don't have the pack myself.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Jpantera

Express runs on any main line dictate full power for much of the journey, A Western doing Paddington to the West Country (Plymouth or Paignton) for example would be getting a thorough workout but would often have a break at Journeys end (maybe fuelled also).

47s were also worked hard but were de rated after a while due to issues found with the original output.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Medellinexpat

Thanks for the advice on ‘T’. theorganist from what I can see the Reading Paddington expresses (with no variation for loco) are all timed as 2 minutes for load and then 28 minutes for travel. That is in both directions. So the 07:00 to Paddington completes load at 07:02 and arrives at 07:30. The 16:00 to BTM is timed at 16:02 and 16:30.
    Using the HST service, there’s no waiting time and I can see 26 and 27 and 34 minute runs - all non stopping. The variation I think is driven by potentially conflicting AI.

38. theorganist

Two examples.

According to the 1968 WTT a 420 tonne load with a class 47 or 52 leaves Reading General at 10:50 and arrives at Paddington at 11:30. That is around 12 to 13 mark 1 carriages.

A 360 tonne load behind a class 47 or 52 leaves Reading General at 12:55 and arrives at Paddington at 13:30. That is around 10 to 11 mark 1 carriages.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Medellinexpat

Thanks theorganist so the timings are aggressive. 35 or 40 minutes, rather than 28 over what is less than 40 miles is a big difference. In the 1970s I used to ride the Worcester line to Paddington and although its a long time ago I don’t remember that Reading-Paddington portion being that dramatic.

• Like Like x 1
  40. theorganist

How many carriages do the trains in the pack have?

41. Medellinexpat

On the train loads the examples I’ve looked at are set up as 11 - I presume that includes the loco. Interestingly the weight varies a little each time you reload. In the examples I tried on the same service the 52 came in as 447.2-450.6 tonnes and the 47 as 450.1-460.7 tonnes. So allowing around 100+ tonnes for the loco more like the second example given.

42. solicitr

Simugraph counts the weight of the passengers too, and their number varies each time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. theorganist

I think the loads in the working timetable would not have included the loco just the stock but I am happy to be corrected. It states "load of train in tonnes" but doesn't say whether that includes the loco or not.

The first service I referenced which leaves Reading at 10:50 (incidentally it originated at Hereford) does have some recovery time too. If I am reading it correctly there is one minute recovery time between Maidenhead and Slough, 1 1/2 minutes between Slough and Southall and 4 minutes between Southall and Westbourne Park.

44. Medellinexpat

So that first service you gave is 40 minutes. Take out the recovery time of 6 1/2 minutes and we’re at 34 1/2 minutes pretty much on top of the second if lighter example. Now I don’t know how much of an exact science the weights make it, but my guess is that for that length of road the allowed time is around 35 minutes without any recovery time. That’s seven minutes faster than the game, or around 20%. So rather than the speed being around 90 to 100 to meet the game timetable real life would have been 70-80. If nothing else in the game to meet the timetable the approach into Paddington feels too fast.

45. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My memory is hazy, but I'm fairly certain the standard timing allowance from Paddington to Reading and vv for 90 MPH traction was 36 minutes non stop.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

From a May 1973 Western Region public timetable the expresses to the South West were timed at 33 minutes departure times from Paddington and Reading e.g. Padd d 13.00 Reading d 13.33
    The Bristol, Weston Super Mare and South Wales expresses were at 34 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Medellinexpat

So what would be the dwell time at Reading I wonder?

48. theorganist

I don't think working timetables always matched passenger timetables. In the 1968 working timetable the dwell time at Reading appears to be either two or three minutes for express passenger services.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. Medellinexpat

So from @Heardturkeys post if the dwell time is three minutes then we get 30 and 31 minutes for the travel time station to station nearer to the game time of 28 minutes although that two or three minutes of course makes the task a lot more difficult. My guess is that the load time of two minutes and the 28 travel was for DTG to make it a neat thirty minutes. That 30 minutes incidentally is a lot easier southbound than northbound where you need to uncouple the engine that brought the train in.

50. paul.pavlinovich

A working time table is the "real" time table for the railway. They do not always match public (called passenger in this thread) time tables which are the time the railway makes a commitment to be at a particular place for as particular reason. The WTT often has the train arriving earlier and can leave earlier if the public timetable allows it. There is usually an extra couple of minutes at larger stations to give the driver time to go to the toilet or grab a cuppa before heading out again. This was less true in the 70s and 80s but today's workplace laws require a break every hour.

The other difference with a WTT vs Public timetable is that the WTT will show other things like times at passing loops, unused stations, stopping and non stopping stations. The express services that run without stopping from one end of the line to the other would have times at the intervening stations so the driver knows they are meeting the schedule.

They can also have sectional and loading instructions, they can have meets with other trains e.g. freight. They often have unused paths so that when a train on one path is running very late they switch it to an alternate path to avoid tying up other trains that might be waiting for it. These alternate paths are also used if there is an extra train or a breakdown.

Older WTT are freely available online just google your preferred line and WTT and see what comes up. They can be quite fascinating documents as are the rules of the road often known as "The Rules" or "General Instructions". The Rules/GI plus the WTT plus Local Instructions tell you everything you need to know at every place along the line. They can run to hundreds if not thousands of pages.

A person is expected to know everything that affects their daily run and know how to find everything else. For example how to deal with a disabled train or open an seldom used siding.

Paul