Train Sim World 2: Raildriver Support

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

What an excellent idea. I'm thinking about getting a Rail Driver and I'll add that to my purchase.

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

What I got was more for a laptop stand with the table base that can be adjusted to sit on a angle or sit flat. And it is height adjustable as well the product is Aluratek. It worked out so well I got another to bring my monitor to a better viewing level.

3. ejs-ejs

ejs-ejs New Member

Hi folks, nice to see the RD back to game.
    Techy question: will it be using the same raildriver.dll | raildriver64.dll libraries?
    I'm implementing RD middleware for a generic joystick. I can play the TS2021, but had no chance to check the TSW2 yet.

4. Crosstie

Well I finally hooked up and calibrated my RD. Only tried it on SPG so far but works just fine for the AC4400CW and SD40. All the basic controls work as expected and almost all the function buttons are good. Exceptions are the map access and the camera buttons are a bit quirky. Minor quibbles. Excellent performance for a beta. Look forward to more refinement and more locos soon. Thanks Dovetail.

5. Carlos Alexandre

Carlos Alexandre New Member

I agree
    There is a calibration problem in the throttle and steering lever in the 1972 MKII
    It would be good to fix this problem on this excellent route

6. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

7. muimui

muimui New Member

After latest update (2nd, March), alert button (user for sifa) does not work for me.
    Maybe a Bug? or broken my raildriver controller ?

8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi ,
    I’m considering getting a pc and connecting it to my Xbox , but would RailDriver be compatible with this sort of setup ?
    Thanks

9. Michael Newbury

I never heard of anyone who has done this yet, so I think it will not work. As you would need the game installed on your PC not on the Xbox.

10. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

How would you connect your PC to the Xbox (or the other way round)?
    What could potentially work is if you bought the games on Xbox to play them on PC through the Xbox store, but I don't know if that works.

11. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

An hdmi cable

12. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

But that is not connecting your Xbox to a PC, thats connecting an Xbox to a screen :o I don't believe that will work the way you intend

• Like Like x 2
  13. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

I cannot get my (just purchased) Raildriver to respond in the Y101 Morning Delivery scenario. The Speedo appears to update, but none of the buttons or levers have any effect. The RD was working fine in the earlier scanarios of the Sand Patch Grade. Am I doing something wrong?

14. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Is it possible your loco has spawned with the YN2 livery?

I believe the rail driver is only supported with the YN3 livery at the moment.

15. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

Ah, thanks, that would explain it.

Seems strange that both locos can't share the same Raildriver settings.

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  16. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

On the YN3, The route map button doesn't seem to function. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any way to edit the templates/scripts?

17. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

The map button doesn’t work for any Loco at the moment. There is currently no way to edit the buttons, but I believe this is planned for the future.

18. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

GP38-2
    Route Map button doesn't work
    Wipers switch works, but 0% display on screen doesn't go away unless I use the shift-v key. Maybe its not exactly zero because the switch is actually analog.

19. vee_71

vee_71 New Member

how do you get the sub woofer working? I can't get it working for Train Sim World 2

20. Michael Newbury

I believe the sub woofer only works on certain locos, still trying to get the sub woofer to work with TS.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Tigert1966

The Subwoofer is permanently on as long as the raildriver is being used. It’s not activated by software. You have to have the power connected and also the speaker cable and then connect your speakers to the back.

If you’ve already done this, then there is a gain control on the back. Turn that up.

All it does is make a subtle vibration through the levers, so you can feel the throbbing of a diesel. Don’t expect it to do much on electric trains.

I’ve seen some people saying it’s really loud. That’s not my experience on any of the ones I’ve ever tried. You can certainly hear it but it shouldn’t be dominant over your normal speakers. I guess that could depend on your PC’s output though.

Hints :

1) You must have speakers connected to it. On my PC if I just use the speakers in my monitor via the HDMI cable, I get nothing as it cuts of the output on the back, you should be able to enable them both, but I can't on my PC.
    2) Make sure the Windows volume control is on 100%, then adjust the volume on your speakers. That way it’s getting the maximum input from you PC.
    3) Don’t forget that gain control on the back. I always do and it came set to minimum. Turn it all the way up on Diesels and you should feel it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Ah, that explains why I can't get RD sound any more. I have a newish monitor with built-in sound that uses HDMI. When I got that I binned my PC speakers as they were years old and very tinny. Not sure I miss RD sound enough to bother buying some more.

23. Michael Newbury

I do have my speakers connected through the raildriver and windows volume set around 55 and the control knob on the raildriver set to where recommended by the instructions. . Still really do not notice anything on the diesel engines guess next test is to turn the windows volume to full..

24. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Dear DTG can you please make an Q&A videos for your fans, so you can answer life any questions we ask you about TSW2

25. Tigert1966

I just tried mine with the settings you gave. I can only hear it if I lift the Raildriver up and can't feel anything at all. Mine has Windows at 100 and the knob on the back turned all the way up. It's still quite a subtle feeling, but for me it definitely makes a difference.

I guess it's different on all PC's though. Although my PC is fairly high end the sound card does seem to be it's weak point.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Crosstie

I always use headphones with TSW2, so I can't use the subwoofer. When I did try it with speakers, the effect was fairly minimal and I don't bother any more. My headphones are pretty high end and give me all the base notes I need.

• Like Like x 3
  27. stringandrudder

stringandrudder New Member

Hello -- I've enjoyed TSW2020 and TWS2 and recently bought a RailDriver unit but somehow missed the memo about only certain locos being supported as part of the beta....I realize this is completely my fault and I will continue to enjoy the RD unit with the currently supported locos....but any idea when we can expect to have support for the LIRR M3/M7? This was the primary reason I bought the RD set-up actually and it would be so great to have support for these two MU sets. Thanks in advance.

28. Crosstie

Not sure if there's a schedule for adding RD support to individual locos. A patch is due any day for LIRR, maybe they'll choose that download to include RD support for those locos.

29. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I doubt it. If it was coming in the LIRR update they would have mentioned it in the stream they were talking about it, and they didn't.
    It's dovetail we're talking about, after all. In order to add raildriver support to LIRR, they first need to make plans to have a meeting about creating a team about exploring the possibility of assigning a few engineers to have a conversation about maybe allotting some time before the 2023 update to have a beta test for RD control for LIRR trains. Sounds about right? :|

• Like Like x 1
  30. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Well, they updated the locos in the diesel legends pack. The LIRR updates may have been just a bit to early to get that treatment. We will see once the next round of updates after LIRR come out. Be happy that all the new stuff gets RD support.

31. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Has your soundcard more than one out like for 5.1 setups? Maybe you need to connect the dedicated subwoofer port (usually black or yellow/orange) to the raildriver's in.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Tigert1966

Thanks for the suggestion. No, it’s pretty basic. But as I’m using external speakers, it doesn’t matter too much.

33. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Raildriver suggestion:
    The levers of Raildriver are took from American trains. The throttle and brake lever directions are opposite to European trains. So that's why I'm suggesting, that every train would have individual controls for the levers of Raildriver. Usually, the throttle lever is on left side and brake lever is on right side, but there are also some expectations. HST has throttle lever on right side and brake lever on left side. On TGV the loco brake lever would be used as throttle and dynamic brake lever and throttle lever as train brake lever. On German trains the combined throttle and brake levers have opposite directions to American ones. In Germany and many other countries of EU, throttle is used by pushing the lever forward and brake is used by pulling the lever backward. Most of the German trains which has AFB, the AFB lever is set next to the throttle lever. On AFB containing German trains, reverser lever would be AFB lever, and the horn lever would be used as reverser level. It would work like this: If you push the horn lever forward, it's the same than pressing W on keyboard, and if you pull the lever backward, it's the same than pressing S on keyboard.

34. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Oh, concerning raildriver we should all be quite a long way away from happy. Considering that RD support is a feature that existed for years in TS classic and as such it should have been available on TSW1 on release - a sequel is not supposed to remove features that were working in the predecessor, especially when it concerns expensive hardware fans invested in. But it's been four years so far and all we have is support for less than half of trains, most of which don't work properly. When they introduced this support a few months ago, everyone was gushing over it (including me) even though, when you think about it, S.Yamazaki, one guy on the steam forums, managed more supported locos done in a few weeks using his tool for TSW2020, and his scripts actually had less bugs even though it was totally hacked into the game in a roundabout way. Now I'm not stupid and realize that DTG have a lot of other things on their to do list except adding RD support for us few who have it, but even looking at it objectively, the dragging of feet on this issue by them is just infuriating. When we have proper support for all content that we own, then I'll be happy. And really, I have no issues overlooking some bugs, especially in a beta release, which RD support is classed as being. But almost every loco except the TGV has glaring issues as far as I can tell, such as the AWS/alerter/sifa button not working properly; or horns getting stuck etc. Bugs that are obvious whithin first couple of minutes of playing. It's been months since initial release and nothing has been fixed as far as I can see. So I'd say that so far happy is not quite on the radar. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  35. Tigert1966

I’m not unhappy. Impatient maybe, I’d like to see bug fixes, but it is a beta and as such I find it very useable. Every new train since support was introduced, has supported it so far.

As for removing features. TSW is not a sequel to TS. So they didn’t really remove anything.

There is support for 18 trains so far I think. 19 if Arosa supports it. So yes, I want new features and fixes, but no I am not unhappy.

By the way AWS reset is mapped to one of the blue buttons (though sadly a different one on each train). German trains however need the Alert button fixed. It’s pretty annoying because it looks like it’s only a spelling error. Saftey instead of Safety in the command.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  36. smoothchat

smoothchat New Member

The YN3b variants of the AC4400 and GP38-2 are supported, but not the YN2 variants, yet they are essentially the same.

Many of the Sand Patch scenarios do not support the RD because they spawn the YN2.

Would it be possible to enable the YN3b variants?

• Like Like x 1
  37. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

When I get the impression RD support is working better and better I'm planning to get myself a device, too

• Like Like x 1
  38. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

You may be right, I think I was just venting. Maybe Impatient is more the right word. It is nice to finally have, don't get me wrong. It is usable and I use it. I just feel that the whole RD thing was not handled very well. It's not just about the numbers of how many own it. People who buy raildrivers are people who are very into the hobby, rather than casual players, and are DTG's core audience and most loyal customers. By treating RD development like an afterthought DTG, I feel, have made a mistake as it made me less of a fan and less of a loyal customer. It made me feel somewhat betrayed, because - no matter how they position TSW vs TS - in reality it IS very much a sequel of sorts. It is a better version of an existing product made by the same company. And having invested in a raildriver years ago specifically to use it with railworks and then with train simulator, I fully expected it to work with TSW as well. I guess I should have read the fineprint, as it soured me on TSW for a while. Ah well. It's being worked on now, and that's good.

39. Crosstie

I'm very optimistic about the future of RD and TSWx. I firmly believe that DTG are committed to external hardware in general. MP is something of a champion when it comes to RD, in particular. Patience is required, as it is probably not at the top of the list of projects, but preserved collection locos are coming and the rest will certainly follow.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Hey guys - newcomer here. I just had a coldshower regarding RD and TSW2 support. I thought that RD has generic support (so that brake, throttle just work on every loco), and that supported loco are just for extra settings and buttons.

So, if i understand it right, on supported locos the RD will work, and on the others it will just be.. unresponsive? Is that true? :|It was such a pain to order RD in my country, so i hope i won't be dissapointed. I am also curious - the other day i watched some youtube videos, when someone was driving BR 425 (my favorite) with RD - and the loco is not on the supported list. How is this possible then?

Please RD owners, tell me your experience.

Thank you!

41. Tigert1966

From what I’ve read and experienced myself. All TSW2 specific locos are supported except maybe one of the American ones (I have all the DLC but American routes no longer interest me, so I couldn’t tell you which one)

For me there are 18 locomotives showing up as supported. To check the list go to Settings, then controls then advanced and there is a full list for the DLC that you have and all the button mappings.

The 425 is preserved collection, I think, so that won’t work. If it’s not supported, then it won’t work at all.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Will check my list today.

Otherwise, we will wait. I am optimistic for now - in roadmap there is this funciton in production:

• [Improvement] Add RailDriver support to Preserved Collection
    And that's exactly what i need. Fingers crossed :)

• Like Like x 3
  43. Tigert1966

Yes, I am optimistic (and slightly impatient). Having driven with Raildriver it’s hard to go back to keys. I think at DTG pace it will be a while until it’s done but until then, it’s working well enough for a beta.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Tigert1966

Well there's a disappointment. Arosa is the first new route to come out without raildriver support. since the beta was launched Shame DTG couldn't have answered that on the streams.

• Like Like x 3
  45. johntay

johntay Member

Not a happy chappy no raildriver support on Arosa matt said on opne of his streams that all content made for TSW 2 will support RailDriver wonder what happened too this i think it will be Rivet not coding it to be compatiable with RailDriver if so i have lost all faith with Rivet they promise to fix things in there routes and leave it lying.

Sorry rant over just dissapointed they could of told us but instead igonerd our questions on the stream as they didnt want to face the backlash

• Like Like x 1
  46. Tigert1966

Not sure if it is Rivet or DTG that code the raildriver support. I'm sure I read somewhere that DTG add it. Either way it's sad that it's missing.

• Like Like x 2
  47. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I'm refunding the arosa line until it has RD support. I firmly believe that if we don't signal 3rd parties with our purchases that RD support is important they won't bother to include it.
    Also, quite annoying that it was not indicated anywhere in the promotional materials for the line. If I'd known I wouldn't have bough it in the first place

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  48. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Anyone heard if the RailDriver will work with the Clinchfield route coming out?

49. johntay

johntay Member

I aked the question last night on the stream and matt answered he says it is a simple fix and will direct the rivet devs on how to implement it hopefully not sure how long it will take though. I kept asking last night until i got an answer casue jasper from rivet was igonring my questions and asking all the ones around it.

I think its quite rude of rivet not to answer but i knew when matt stopped driving he would answer us. Really like matt he trys his best to answer everyones questions. Matt did say in a old stream that all future routes and locos for tsw 2 would be compatiable with RD just dont know if thats DTG routes and locos only. If thats the case wont be given my money to third parties that cant be bothered implementing it. Id DTG can do it even with the preseve collection so can 3rd parties.

• Like Like x 4
  50. johntay

johntay Member

From 31:25 you can here his answer about RD on Arosa lol Matt "No Promises"

Great might not get it if goes with rivets game track record of updates

• Like Like x 1