Train Sim World 2 - Western Glory

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 23, 2021.

1. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Exactly and there is all this fuss over DTG releasing a timetable pack that includes 3 locos on an existing route for slightly higher cost of a single loco / unit that comes in one colour scheme!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Does the BR legend 52 sub into WSR service mode?

• Like Like x 1
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Fair point however maybe that's something that dtg should have done from the start. I get why they wouldn't do it but if they did remake the route as it was from the 70s, it would have gotten a positive reception and they could have gotten away with charging the standard price

• Like Like x 1
  4. tallboy7648

To be fair the people who did make it had nothing to do before they were given the task as matt pointed out at the pre release stream so those workers were still getting paid so they really had nothing to lose since they were on the clock and getting paid. If it was $5 that would be a net profit then not making it at all. Perhaps it should've been cheaper. Maybe it should have been $10-15 dollars

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I would have happily paid £15 just for the 117.

I think you are dissing the modders and the modders have no tools to do full routes. Give the modders the tools and TSW2 would be transformed.

• Like Like x 5
  6. tallboy7648

If the modders had the tools it would be like the heavens of Train Simulator 2021 with all the mods that game has which effectively saved the game and keeps it going to this day. This game would have massive improvements on PC at least

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Nope. It's completely separate and only goes on WSR in scenario planner.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. dhekelian

I was looking at those mods posted above and wondered if it would make a difference. I decided to buy the pack as I have the RailDriver and liked that Era. I thought I could always refund it if it came to that.

The mods are really good. I got the correct liveries, signs were of that era and they even removed the overhead cables. There were other enhancements as well. I drove the 52 from Paddington to slough and liked it. The main reason I got it was the RailDriver but it does give a feel for the era, no doubt someone will spot something but pretty good, it looks good without those overhead cables, lol.

Will I keep it? Yes I think so. Don't get me wrong, without the mods I think it a bit expensive and still think the 117 should of been in there. But as I said I have the RailDrive and love the route.

Is it perfect? Er no. The closing of doors stop functioning on the RailDriver for some reason and that stuttering is worse but overall I would say look at those mods first then decide.

• Like Like x 5
  9. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Well I’ve spent the last few hours on the Legends of the Great Western, and can honestly say I think it’s fantastic! I know it’s been a mixed bag, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Yes it could have been better, but can’t everything? For the price of a small round of drinks, I think it’s great value! I really hope DTG do extra timetable modes on other routes, especially as the DLC content increases. We can play an existing route in a new light.

• Like Like x 6
  10. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I'm in too.
    Plus the mods are looking to be a great addition, no OHL, "wooden sleepers", and a good effort at the signage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thehstfan43055

Thehstfan43055 New Member

Seems to be a lack of return services with the class 101 you get the Paddington to Greenford service but no return working and Hayes and Harlington to Paddington but no Paddington to Hayes and Harlington.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. dhekelian

Yeah it does give a feel for the era. Makes you think though if modders can do this what is DTG's excuse? I'm only interested in English/Welsh routes so I guess not much else for me this year but I have a lot to get on with.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, into the 3rd party free for all that is TSC. No thanks. I've given up on TSC for now due to the utter mess that is it's 3rd party cluster......

• Like Like x 1
  14. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I’m no expert and may be wrong but Could it be something to do with cross platforms? Getting stuff to work on PC, Xbox and PlayStation must have its challenges?

• Like Like x 2
  15. dhekelian

I can see actual modders having those problems but if it was done by DTG it would be the same for everyone no?

• Like Like x 2
  16. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Since the zoom feature has been enabled I quite like driving in zoom mode with the instruments in view (works well with the 52 and 31) with every thing other than the time function switched off....
    You can barely notice the catenary at all....

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’ve been continuing to enjoy this pack today. I also bought it just for raildriver and the timetable.

The Class 52 is easily my favourite. The 101 is fun, being able to change gears on the raildriver is fun. Haven’t really tried the 08 yet.

I haven’t tried the mods yet and probably won’t, after a couple of hours I wasn’t paying much attention to the catenary anyway.

I found my mind drifting to what could be done with a better scenario planner and a few spare days.

Really hoping for some raildriver improvement soon, but happy with the beta nonetheless.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, Raildriver works pretty well with the Class 52. Not every button works, but it will only get better. I haven't tried the Class 101 yet, but I'm glad to hear that the gear changes are working, that's actually a really big deal for me. I don't have the best hand eye coordination, so it'll be much easier with the RD. When the freight services arrive, here's hoping that all the locos will calibrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. dhekelian

For me I wouldn't have touched this without the mods, I say mods, all it is is a file drop. Haven't tried the 101 yet but looking forward to it (Would have preferred the 117). For immersion the mods really help if you are not into immersion then fair enough.

I still think the pack is over priced and doesn't really help new users as even Colonel Failure admitted to in stream. DTG could have done better imo with little effort.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure that the freight services aren’t going to add any extra raildriver support. We’re going to have to wait for the preserved collection to be updated for that.

Would be a nice surprise if they did work though!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Haven't you been reading any of the myriad threads about this pack?

22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

For DTG it may not be so easy to do this. You just put the mods on your drive and it your responsibility to install and remove them. DTG would probably feel required to create a setting to turn them on or off. So they would need to include them in the route and change the route logic.This pack was created with the restriction that the route could not be changed, no people with time and priority to do so. I have no idea if you can install the mods at consoles, probably not, so for DTG this also is not working. Last but not least. the mods were tested in a very limited way. I already saw several mods not working at all and making even the game crash. Dtg cannot afford this risk. If they provide, it must work properly and we all know how difficult this is for them.

You cannot simply compare what a modder can do with what DTG can or cannot do. It is not a fair comparison. Sometimes things look easy but are not. Remember, it is IT and has all complexities IT has.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. tallboy7648

And apparently it's supposed to be for new users

• Like Like x 3
  24. solicitr

Although I'm not really interested personally, I don't see anything wrong with this as a scenario pack, but IMO the price point is higher than it ought to be from a business perspective, that is setting a price which will maximise revenue (not some childish notion of "fair pricing"): simply put, a lower price would sell more copies, enough more copies to more than offset the lower marginal revenue per.

• Like Like x 4
  25. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

A lower price point and not being full of bugs would help it sell... And if they want to charge £15 for it, then it should have been perfect...

• Like Like x 4
  26. tallboy7648

I really don't get how a $22.99 price tag is justified to be honest for what is effectively an innacurate representation of the route in the 70s especially if the people who made it had nothing to do prior and were still getting paid regardless. If it was cheaper it probably would've sold much better for casual players

• Like Like x 5
  27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

At the risk of being burned at the stake, I'm going to say flat out that I think DTG's prices are more than reasonable, including for this pack. I realize that there are many of us who are having a hard time economically, these days. And I know we have some youngsters on the forum who don't have a lot to spend. But, frankly, 23 bucks is not a lot of money, here in the US at least. Video gaming is an expensive hobby. The most popular games are going for $60 or $70 a pop these days. With TSW2, we are in a small market with a niche product made and sold by a small software house. I'm very selective, I buy only what sparks my interest and I advise everyone to do the same. I also want to support the game, because, for me, it's the only show in town that feeds my hobby. So, I'll complain about bugs, things not being fixed, lack of American content etc., but not about prices.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. tallboy7648

I think they are reasonable as well but sometimes their products don't reflect that price tag like this pack that mostly hasn't seen positive reviews on the forums at least

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

Prices are never "justified." Pricing has nothing to do with some abstruse notion of "justice."

30. tallboy7648

Justified and Justice are not the same thing

• Like Like x 2
  31. solicitr

Ultimately they are. Unfortunately, lax contemporary usage too often employs "justification" when what is really meant is "explanation" (or "excuse.") So the actual question is not "Is this price justified" but rather "Can this price be explained as a rational business decision?" That is, except for those poor souls asking foolish questions like "Is this price fair?"

32. tallboy7648

Asking if a price is fair is not a foolish question

• Like Like x 5
  33. dhekelian

For me the price was on the expensive side I would never have bought it without the mods especially removing the overhead cables but more importantly it was said on that stream that this pack was aimed at new users then Sam pointed out you would need four different DLC's to get the full benefit from the pack, that was the most disappointing thing imo.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It certainly is a fair question, but the answer will always be subjective.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  35. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I’m not a new user I own all the content that’s is required to make the most of it, so I didn’t benefit from any new locos. I just enjoyed the new services and the BR blue 52 with nameplates especially getting up to speed on it. driving all the locos / units I already have on a different route with different traffic

• Like Like x 3
  36. adamcjay

adamcjay New Member

I'm a huge fan of the 24hr service mode TSW brings, and therefore as far as adding gameplay that I am interested in goes this pack should hit the spot. I'm less interested in the express services but the stopping 31s with a rake of Mk2s really appeals. However, to know that there appears to be no timetable for the 31 services (i.e. there are no stopping times to aim for) detracts from the appeal quite significantly. Adhering to a timetable is surely a huge part of the gameplay and so something I'm quite confused to see missing from a 'gameplay pack'.

• Like Like x 4
  37. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I was exactly in the same boat. When I saw the 31 stoppers on the stream, it made me really interested in the pack. When I then saw that they were missing the timetable side, that was enough to put me off buying this pack...

It still goes without saying, that a timetable should contain times...

• Like Like x 2