Remote Control For Shunters

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jo_Kim, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Most shunting locomotives in Germany (and probably Europe) are equipped with remote controls. With this, the driver can command the shunting locomotive without the need to always return to the cab. This is very helpful when driving in reverse (the driver stands on the last car) or having to operate switches by hand.

For the BR 363 and upcoming Vossloh G6 this feature would increase immersion by a lot. At the moment I don't want to always walk to the switches and just use the map instead.
    For using the remote you'll first have to set up the locomotive. For the game, I'll suggest the player equips the remote and will be able to switch between controlling the loco and his own movements with the press of a button (e.g. R).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Yeah, I wondered what that piece of equipment was in the DBBR363 Cab behind me, as it looked intricate but had no functionality in game. Would love to see this implemented!

• Like Like x 1
  3. david5150

david5150 Well-Known Member

I used to drive trucks out of Teesside and Redcar steel works and the shunters there were remote control.

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Also relevant to Clinchfield, who used an old F7B with remote control as a shunter

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Someone has been playing Derail Valley! But I agree, some means of remote control would be useful i.e. not just tied to the available train views.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

To clarify: I have never played nor seen any gameplay from Derail Valley other than the Trailer. Do you have a remote control in DV?

7. OldVern

Yes although it has to be unlocked, i.e. purchase a licence to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Does that cost real money or just in game progress? That sounds really awesome!

9. OldVern

In game progress, no additional real purchase. You use the money you earn delivering freight to buy the licences that unlock the larger loco, various utilities and more complex jobs. The downside of DV is the weird copay system for wear and tear or damage to the locos etc which can eat into your profits quite substantially.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

That would be a nice feature to make shunting more interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This should make shunting jobs easier and if you play Main Spessart Bahn this feature should be useful to the DB BR204 which is the switcher in Aschaffenburg. Perhaps this will be also applied to the future HDB 800 if Dovetail Games wanted a switcher for the Hamburg-Lubeck route this time the port of Lubeck. Here's an article by railcolor's Simon Wijnakker HDB 800.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I don‘t think the 204 is equipped with remote control.

• Like Like x 1
  13. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Indeed, the 204 don't have it because it also used for normal long-stretch services.

14. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Some variants of the V100 family were equipped with remote controls. But none of these are from the BR 204 class.

15. AlexKall

AlexKall New Member

Would really like to see it, especially since it's even modeled in the game in one of the locos. But I have my doubts as to ever seeing that in a DTG game, which is a real shame as it would increase immersion substantially. It's been a requested feature for a long time but so far I've never seen any mentioning of it from DTG, so the likelihood is probably non-existent. This is why I have moved over to Derail Valley to the largest extent and will not buy anything related to train sim or train sim world until such things as radio/remote control is added. I'm only into freight, passenger service does not interest me at all.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2