Clinchfield Preview (video Edition)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Challenger3985, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

This thread is created for the preview video (ex-stream). Any thoughts or opinions during of after the stream are welcomed here.

Just to summarize what this route will have:
    -37 miles of mainline between Elkhorn City and Dante, with lots of trees in the background
    -4 branches and spurs will be included, adding another 27 miles to the route
    -Set in the early 1980s, the final years of CRR before merged
    -2 locomotives, the F7A&B (in CRR Grey) and the SD40 (in CRR Black)
    -5 different rolling stocks: 50' boxcars, 3-bay & 4-bay coal hoppers, reefers, and a Santa Fe style caboose
    -Branching and Mainline Coal Trains, as well as a Manifest and the reefer train 'Florida Perishable'

Plus, it's on the Dev Build and there's no release date for the route at the moment.

Note: The stream was canceled due to their internet was making the stream being choppy and unwatchable. The preview video is available on Youtube.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Another stream is rotting !!
    Something not cool is going on with the direct at the moment, it's a shame

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

something very broke, lol.

4. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

It all looked good, between the constant hickups. Hopefully they'll get it going. Been waiting for this gem for quite some time now. Nice with an older route too, and not just all modern like most routes tend to be. The F7 looks great so far. Can't wait to take it "out for a spin" myself. :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It looks very nice from the limited time we have seen of it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Yeah, the technical difficulties are very unfortunate :-/

What little we got to see from the route looks great, lots of branches and varied services. The F7 also looks great and looks to be modelled in very nice detail, both visual and system wise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

It looks stunning from what we have seen so far. The F7 looks lovely ;). I am just curious as to why the Arosa line has so few trees yet here we have everything covered? Has it something to do with the fact that DTG are using Speedtree which is a paid addition to the Unreal editor? Maybe somebody knows more. I wish everybody a nice evening and enjoy the stream :). Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Poor guys- I do feel bad for Sam and Matt

• Like Like x 4
  9. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

Coming CRR Next Week?

10. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Now the stream is over :( But the route looks very promising. This tiny part we were allowed to see...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

We had time to see the map and the little I saw was enough for me to pre-order as soon as it will be ready.
    The F7 was really beautiful and the scenery looked a lot better than on the Arosa.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What I saw of the route in the short time we saw it impressed me. It made Arosa Line look like a comic book strip in comparison.

• Like Like x 9
  13. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Agree. Almost looked like two different games. The lighting, scenery, and textures all looked significantly better than Arosa.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

We are certainly getting mixed messages. Rivet claimed the lack of trees was due to console parity / performance reasons...but now we see a new route chock full of trees.

I'm actually tempted to cancel my preorder of Arosa and buy Clinchfield instead....as it seems way more polished.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not a fan of freight, but looking that good with the unique service timetable, I think DTG have earned themselves a definite buyer of the route.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Looking like from the TSC Discord, both Matt and Sam are gonna record the preview instead (for about 120+ mins it would seem).

• Like Like x 3
  17. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yes, they are going to record the preview and upload later this evening. They're going to do the score challenge live though.

• Like Like x 3
  18. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Well ...
    I have a little pang in my heart for my 30 euro spent at Rivet after seeing these 10 minutes live ...

• Like Like x 5
  19. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Anyway, CRR from what I have been able to see does look fantastic graphically.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The little we saw was fantastic to my mind. The scenery looked good, the F7s looked and sounded good. The unique timetable also looks promising. Still very much looking forward to this one :)

• Like Like x 5
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Visually (graphical assets) it strongly resembles the SPG. It was a bit to be expected. I watched the TS version today - the environment seems to be more unique there:

tscrr.png

But. It looks fantastic! This shaded section of the route... I try to imagine it in the rain. Very atmospheric. Diverse timetable. F7.
    I want it so badly already!

• Like Like x 7
  22. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

So still not idea on release date on this beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The timetable looks very interesting. The scenery looked very good, the F7 looked okay and certainly interesting to drive, and most importantly, the external cameras are not locked out of tunnels any more. About time. I shall watch the finished video later and then make a decision between buying this or still buying this. I’ll be buying this.

I will still look at Arosa separately as the two are not in direct competition for me. It’s not a case of the route with the most trees gets my money, I’m getting both for the trains and gameplay. Great scenery is a bonus if it’s there. DTG have more experience in creating and optimising many different things to get the best out of TSW. It’s their baby after all.

• Like Like x 9
  24. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

What's this special timetable you are all talking about? I tuned in a vit late on the stream and it was already funky, didn't catch the bit about the timetable

• Like Like x 1
  25. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Each service is "hand authored" meaning that each service isn't just copy-pasted as a run from A->B (or B->A); basically means each service will be quite unique to one another.

• Like Like x 11
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Essentially the services have been curated rather than mass produced, so pretty much everything is a new experience rather than drive train from point A to B. They didn’t get chance to discuss it in too much detail because of the issues with the stream.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Great minds lol

• Like Like x 3
  28. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’m torn on this. It looks fantastic, absolutely no complaints on that front. But I don’t know if I’d actually play it. Every time I try Sandpatch I enjoy the first few minutes getting everything going and then get bored.

I’ll look forward to the recorded preview later and see how much interaction is required before I decide.

Regardless of that, looks like a step forward in route quality.

• Like Like x 6
  29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I like the concept of consecutive sequences / services. There are a few such gems at SPG, where you can drive for a few hours to get coal and back without going to the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  30. fabristunt

Thanks for the clarification, sounds interesting

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not seen the stream, but from the feedback above this is looking more and more a Day 1 purchase (Arosa I am leaving on the shelf for now).

Essentially the timetable is actually a whole day's worth of interacting scenarios, is my take.

Was anything shown as regards "MU-ing" the F7's as this is an aspect I still find hit and miss on SPG?

• Like Like x 1
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You didn't miss much. Technical problems. Today, later, they will upload material currently being prepared offline.

33. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have to say, Sam is certainly a champion of us players, don't you agree? He wasn't putting up with that choppy stream. He's a no-nonsense guy, for sure.

• Like Like x 10
  34. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

True....but it's also in their best interest to show off a new route in the best possible light as well.

• Like Like x 4
  35. fabristunt

So how many timetable services are there? If they're handcrafted as you say, it'll probably be a small number

36. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

48 services...27 for the F7 & 21 for the SD-40

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Heres a clip from the services screen for the F7

upload_2021-3-21_8-49-4.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  38. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is a bit puzzling. Some of these services are single train sequences (ABCD ... go there, load coal, go back ...). This means traffic of one train per hour +/-. Hopefully, we will pass other trains waiting for a free track and vice versa.
    PS some sequences are up to 8 parts - interesting

• Like Like x 1
  39. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Remember, those are just the services in the screenshot for the F7....so you need to mix the SD40 services in as well.

• Like Like x 4
  40. fabristunt

I was expecting a low number, but not that low... Plus as already mentioned above it seems some trips are divided in multiple parts, so there won't be that much traffic...

• Like Like x 3
  41. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'm not really worried, but a lot of people have wondered what train traffic will be like with single-track. I hope they did not deal with this problem, limiting the possibilities of meeting trains a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you have played this route in TS or not...but there are alot of passing loops on the route and trains waiting to give way to you and vice versa you get hit with a red to let another train through.

• Like Like x 4
  43. fabristunt

I haven't played it in ts as I don't like American routes, but that's a very low number even for a single track route...

• Like Like x 1
  44. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am not worried about how these trains will pass each other, but if it will happen at all.
    TS does not have timetables, it is difficult to judge on this basis (I do not own CRR).

The fragment we saw showed such an encounter, which calms me down a bit :)

• Like Like x 2
  45. fabristunt

That's my point: there might not be enough traffic to meet other trains at the passing loops.

• Like Like x 1
  46. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I feel bad to say this for Rivet Games because I think they are a nice company and very interactive with their audience, but with what little we have seen today from Clinchfield and what we saw yesterday from Arosa, they and DTG play in another league. It's also normal because it's their second TSW route and they can't be blamed for anything. In terms of rolling stock I don't see much difference, but in terms of the environment and the construction of the route you can see that they are years ahead of them. I see them at the level of DTG when they did Rapid Transit, I don't know if you agree with me. But I'm sure they will gain a lot in quality over time as they gain experience.

• Like Like x 10
  47. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maik Goltz from TSG spoke about UEngine. Apparently, this is a bit beyond the original imagination - level of difficulty. Nobody takes away good intentions, but it was already visible in the IOW / HMA clash, these, as you put it nicely, different leagues. Good for us, we have a wider choice of routes. I hope there is enough bread for these people. It is certainly not an easy task, and the expectations are enormous.

• Like Like x 3
  48. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I wish Rivet well and hope their routes start to look as good as DTG. I’m really disappointed how cartoony Arosa Line looks, but there is no denying a lot of hard work went into the Ge 4/4 II cab and train body. Their collectables are fun too. Hopefully Rivet take onboard the feedback and improve the textures/scenery in Arosa and their future routes.

• Like Like x 6
  49. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We've recorded a preview of Clinchfield Railroad for you and this will be uploaded ASAP. I'll let you know as soon as it's up.

For those who enjoy technical details, the issue lay with the streaming injest (basically Restream was perfectly reproducing what it was receiving - and it was receiving junk.) Since we had similar issues yesterday on a different PC running on a different ISP (BT rather than Virgin) there's evidently something else at work here.

We're continuing to troubleshoot, but didn't want to leave you without a preview.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 10
  50. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Are you still doing the score challenge tonight?

• Like Like x 1