Spg- A Route I Heavily Misjudged

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Horizelux, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Initially, I hated SPG and the idea of having to drive a sluggish and heavy train. That too, freight, through twisty and boring curves while the only scenery were green blobs of hills with dense trees packed tightly together.

I couldn't be more wrong.

Yesterday I got bored of all the routes I have, and decided to try SPG; a route which I almost always avoid. I drove an AC4400 bound to Cumberland in spring cloudy weather.

It was breathtaking.

How wrongly I interpreted the route! The scenery at the beginning was a bit "repetitive", but then...

Train Sim World 2®   22-03-2021 15_56_05.png

Train Sim World 2®   23-03-2021 14_59_27.png

Train Sim World 2®   22-03-2021 16_22_07.png

Train Sim World 2®   24-03-2021 14_32_25.png

What I've hated previously, I've come to love. SPG is just so different, unlike any TSW2 route so far (Clinchfield being an exception). This just shows you, how quickly and randomly your perception of a route can change.

A week ago, I had no interest in Clinchfeild whatsoever. Now, it is going to be my next purchase :)

Thank you DTG, for making this marvellous route, and many other more.

Have an awesome day :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Looks like winter to me.

3. Horizelux

I have the no leaf mod installed, which removes leaves from most trees, even on spring, which makes it look like winter. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes. SPG is epic. It also requires an enormous amount of patience. BR
    I don't know this one. Looks like early spring. Very unique. Can you link this mod?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Horizelux

Yep! A lot of patience, but that also means you can do stuff like use your phone, or play with your dog while you're driving! A very... multitask friendly route you could say :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Horizelux

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You made my day. Have a nice one, too \o/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I saw snow in your screenshots.

9. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree more! It is so easy to overlook SPG with all the new routes out there. However, the scenery really is spectacular. Try exploring some places on foot if you ever get a chance; you will appreciate the little details even more.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Horizelux

With the invisible wall remover mod, I had quite a fun trek up a mountain!

TSW2 can be so many things, which includes being able to have an adventurous hike!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Horizelux

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a new feature- to find snow occasionally on top of mountains. I think this was added as the Arosa line is surrounded with mountains, and that snow adds so much to the experience!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Yes! This is what i thought too after trying a service (my first) on SPG today in preperation for Clinchfield and after seeing this thread. But boy i failed miserably with my 2 SD40-2s in front of a 6.000t coal train to get up the gradient before Sand Patch. I got stuck and had to abandon half the train in order to get running again.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Horizelux

Lol imagine the reaction when the train arrives and an entire half is missing XD

• Like Like x 2
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

EPIC!

• Like Like x 2
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have to be careful in timetable mode. I don't know how it was in the TS2020 version (I didn't have it), but with the addition of adhesion physics you need a minimum of 1.5 horsepower per ton (hppt) to get up the grade from the east, and 1.3 hppt eastbound. 6000 hp ain't gonna get a 6000 ton train over the mountain

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I recently started with SPG, too to be prepared for Clinchfield :)

Somehow I got carried away with all that shunting that I didn't see anything from the route so far ... again.
    Maybe I should try a scenario

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

WRT the OP: SPG has its own challenges, it isn't just a Sunday drive in the country! Controlling a long, heavy train down a steep grade is in its way as nerve-wracking as keeping to a stop-and-start commuter timetable, and requires as much concentration as PZB does.

When I want to relax, I drive an ICE......

• Like Like x 2
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Looks like CRR will be better optimized in terms of engaging gameplay
    edit... my eng :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. whiteleym#4287

whiteleym#4287 Active Member

I agree, i'd also kind of neglected SPG thinking it wasn't my thing and boring until recently.

Seeing the Clinchfield stream the other day inspired me to give SPG another go and I love it! The route looks great and is quite a challenge too, I also really enjoy all the yard movements where you put together consists. I think Clinchfield will probably be a day 1 purchase based on how much i'm liking playing SPG.

• Like Like x 4
  20. wirewalker#4169

wirewalker#4169 New Member

Yes I also agree I first played SPG with TSW when it was first released and found it very uninspiring. I have since gone back to it with the release of TSW2 and have been following the journey. This takes you through various scenarios and services (there are loads some quite involved) with all the different locos and I enjoyed it so much that I have since also bought the C40-8W in the recent sale which adds a load of new content. The route now feels alive where it used be be very boring and dead. I am also using the no leaf mod suggested by Horizelux above and that really improves the scenery for me. Another thing I like using now is turning on windows HDR mode in windows 10 (available as an update through windows insider program) which on my monitor washes out the colours nicely emphasizing weathering on the locos. it may not be to everyone's taste but works well for me. The other part of the route that's really interesting is correctly setting up the trains on the different consists for power and braking correctly (you will soon know if its not). When you get it right driving up and down the route is a real pleasure.

• Like Like x 3
  21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The main challenge on SPG is ensuring all the locos are talking to each other! Which I now think I’ve mastered at least for the SD40s.

• Like Like x 2