PlayStation Little Tease For American Passenger Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jeanmarc094, Mar 23, 2021.

1. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

skip to 32:40
    30:19 for full next add ons segment.

• Like Like x 5
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Sam be like, "I can't say there will be an American passenger route, except there will be, but I can't say it."

• Like Like x 4
  3. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Haha I love the way Sam deals with questions and just his general way of communication. He makes the streams a lot more interesting :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Sam is amazing, the diamond of DTG, these things would be so much more boring and uninformative without him.

• Like Like x 12
  5. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

My money is on NJ Transit, or another section of the NEC (maybe Washington- or Boston-based).

• Like Like x 2
  6. solicitr

I would at a guess think the high-speed section south of Boston. DTG do love their HSTs, and besides they can leverage their 182 model for the ACS64.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Honestly, that would be wonderful! But at this point, I'm willing to accept any North American passenger route :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Sam has an unusual style that will delight some and completely grate on others, there nothing more annoying than when he’s asked a question and he tells the person to go look here and go look there, it’s just as easy to answer, a question is a question, it shouldn’t be turned into a treasure hunt with a cryptic reply, he really needs to address that in my opinion it’s annoying and poor communication skills

• Like Like x 2
  9. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

I'm definitely in the delight camp. And I think it's fair to focus the Q&A streams on questions that haven't been answered previously.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Then don’t mention the question in the stream or say “go look on the forum” either ignore the question or answer it properly

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I disagree, when they do NEC I think it will be something out of New York again, they do have assets they can play around with there. Even if you assume they just won't use anything whatsoever from the old NEC route they still have the Long Island assets at the very least. And even if they do a different section I think it would be Washington - Baltimore over anything else. Route's the right length for TSW and they could update assets from the TS Classic version for TSW just like with Clinchfield.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, having lived in the Baltimore - Washington area, I'm not sure it's the most interesting section of the NEC, especially if they can't include the MARC stopper. I think I'd prefer something out of Boston or Philly, with some local services thrown in. One of the best and most diverse routes in TS Classic was the Racetrack, but that's probably not possible, because of licensing issues - a third party route anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Unfortunate thing about most modern US passenger services are licensing as seen with TS 20XX, as outside of Amtrak there is only a small amount of commuter railroads that gave the ok to DTG for licensing (Metro-North, NJT, Caltrain).

At best I think the Hudson Line has a good chance of being the next US Passenger route for TSW2. Both Metro-North and Amtrak can be featured on the route. CSX has operations on the line as well.

Reused NYC assets can be used, not to mention a modified LIRR M7 can be used for Metro North's M7A's. The P32AC-DM is both used by Amtrak and Metro North. CSX could use a modified SD40-2 with in-cab signaling for the route, or a return of the GP40-2 (Or go for all new with a Genset).

The TS21 route length would make it work for TSW2 being only 60ish route miles.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's not, I understand why people want something out of Boston, I just don't think it makes as much sense to build from DTG's perspective. If I was ignoring feasibility entirely I'd suggest the Harlem Line, or the Racetrack, not a new NEC. But factoring in feasibility it's pretty clear in my mind, people want a new Amtrak route, and they already have research and assets for Washington - Baltimore and NEC New York they could reuse, those two options are the most likely as a result. DTG would need to do significantly more research for Boston - Providence, and I don't see it happening when they have other options which make more sense from a development stand point.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

That's my favorite section of the NEC! I would love Philly-trenton, Trenton-NYC or even Philly-NYC preferably.

16. solicitr

I have an inkling that whatever they do next will EITHER include the Acela Liberty (meaning the NEC between New Haven and Boston), OR a non-electrified route. On the one hand DTG (and its customers) really like HSTs, but on the other hand DTG also like locos which can be recycled, and an electric Amtrak wouldn't be usable anywhere except the NEC-- 90+% of Amtrak's routes are diesel-hauled.

17. box215

box215 Active Member

Matt said on one of the TS streams last week to look up Wester Pacific (that was him giving a clue apparently)
    If so, this would mean a passenger route set in California (most likely), set back in the 50s or 60s. Running some portion of the California Zephyr

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I mean they DID just create the F7A/B for Clinchfield, wouldn't be that hard to convert to an FP7....

19. solicitr

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blacknred81

Outside the Feather River Canyon, I dont know what route they would used for the Western Pacific.
    c16052de55e2e23898a671513e61164d.jpg

-Niles Canyon and Altimont Pass from Oakland to Stockton?
    -Stockton to Oroville?
    -Portola to Salt Lake City?

None of these are viable options IMO...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  21. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see it, coming off of routes like Peninsula Corridor and LIRR it's pretty weak compared to them on the passenger front. Probably would be more freight than passenger operations, not necessarily bad mind you, but it seems like a bit of a miscalculation if that's the big US passenger route. I wouldn't be disappointed mind you, I love seeing anything fallen flag related, and would love to see a classic passenger route depicted. But I don't think it really appeals to the crowd that like routes like the current passenger routes. It would be like promoting NEC New York & Peninsula Corridor as freight routes.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Disintegration7

I agree with your general point, but maybe this route would be in addition to a more popular route like NEC?

We don't really know about about any routes after Cathcart Circle, but presumably there are several at least in the planning stage.

23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Sure, I could certainly see them having it in planning for the end of the year or beginning of next year, just don't think it's gonna be the passenger route.

24. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Reno to Sacramento via Truckee and Donner Pass would be a lot of fun! I’ve ridden the Zephyr through there beautiful scenery! That would be cool if they’re doing the WP. I’m all for a US passenger route, hopefully a diesel route. There are many electrified passenger routes in the game already.

25. Blacknred81

That's Southern Pacific not Western Pacific.....

26. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Oops my bad.... got my routes mixed up, Was thinking of the Zephyr routing today as opposed to then.

27. solicitr

The original Zephyr used the Feather River route via Gerlach, the Beckwourth Pass and Portola, and came down to Sacramento from the north.

28. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I wonder what that means;)

29. MetrolinkF125#916

Well anyways I’ve already said this in another thread, but I think NJT and Amtrak are the likely railroads that are coming to a TSW route. I mean, it’s Amtrak’s 50th anniversary, why not make a TSW route out of it? It would really help on a marketing perspective, considering the high demand for an Amtrak route lately. Amtrak and NJT are the only American railroads at railfest, which kinda leads to the thought of...

30. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

For the US route ima place a bet on an Amtrack route or a route with the acela on

31. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Interesting, if that was really a clue. I would have bet that the next North American passenger route would have been a new NEC or at least Amtrak. I never would have thought of it being a vintage passenger route with F-units. Not that I'm complaining, mind you :)

32. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Do passenger trains to up sand patch grade ? Wondering what that station is for at Cumberland.
    If so I'd love to see a passenger train Cumberland to rockwood , can't be all that hard to implement

33. Blacknred81

Amtrak's Capitol Limited runs on the line, but isn't worth a DLC. 2 trains a day 1 each way and the only passenger stop is Cumberland.

• Like Like x 2
  34. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I just watched some of the video at the start of this thread, I do feel that sometimes these two guys could make good politicians, "In the nicest possible way" :D

• Like Like x 1
  35. jeanmarc094

i dont know if he was serious or not but this was his response on FB. Yes its really him
    upload_2021-4-7_14-48-35.png

• Like Like x 1
  36. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Feather River Canyon would make sense; they do like remaking TS routes as they have the reference material for it already...

37. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

In a general sense sure, but as the next route? Again it's not really a passenger route, I don't believe it's a 50/50 split either like you see on some of the German routes, vast majority is freight. It would be a big miscalculation on their part to be hyping up this new passenger route only to reveal it has more freight than passenger, a lot aren't gonna be happy with that. Also they just did a old route in the form of Clinchfield, I would doubt they'd want to do another old route just after the previous one, both for variety sake, and so that they aren't competing with each other. Think about it, a lot of people are buying Clinchfield for the F7, if they reveal the next US route also contains the same, or basically the same engine a lot are gonna wait until that route's out.

• Like Like x 1
  38. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I do recall back in 2020 hearing that MBTA, the rail company for Boston, wanted to partner with DTG, so perhaps something in Boston is likely. I'd personally like to see anything in or near Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I remember hearing that as well, fingers crossed that something will become of it.

40. MetrolinkF125#916

Hmm, interesting, hopefully that means something Amtrak related as well, since Acela services run on I think one of the MBTA commuter lines.

41. jeanmarc094

• Like Like x 6
  42. MetrolinkF125#916

43. jeanmarc094

may 2020...

• Like Like x 1
  44. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

I on the contrary think this would be a lot of fun. Still a challenge to bring a passenger train over the grade, and you would be able to run passenger speeds so it would be a quick ride I think it would be a lot of fun. I’m hoping for a Diesel passenger route in the US, there are a lot of electrified routes in the game already.

45. solicitr

In that regard, all I can envision happening is DTG releasing an Amtrak diesel route, and then layering the loco and coaches into the SPG timetable as one train-pair per day.

• Like Like x 6
  46. Disintegration7

I think it would be fun too, but probably not a financially viable project unfortunately.

47. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

That statement pretty much sums up Amtrak, Lol

• Like Like x 2
  48. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

49. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Sam is a savage with the spamers. I'm hoping it's something Amtrak. I would mind a local commuter train of some sort but I really want to drive the P42

• Like Like x 2
  50. jeanmarc094

with metro north