Arosa-unique Experiences

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by appledates#4945, Mar 25, 2021.

1. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Arosa has officially been released and with it comes an experience unlike other routes we have experienced in TSW. This route has a lot of unique aspects from being the first route in Switzerland to the characteristics of the route itself. I myself find the experience of driving up the mountain, it really does a good job at giving you the feeling of climbing up the side of a mountain and making you feel high up. That’s just one of the unique experiences I have felt with this route. Please feel free to share something unique, whether big or small you have experienced driving Arosa. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing the things people have enjoyed from this route.
    (This thread is for gathering the unique experiences on the Arosa linie, and is not for the discussion on distant scenery. Thanks for understanding.)
    Edit- This thread was originally posted in the PC section, which explains the few posts not pertaining at all to the subject matter. The posts in this thread do point out why it’s nice to have a positive conversation, as a lot of this community tends to discourage positive discussion.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. thijsdenbraven

thijsdenbraven Member

I love this route it is such a unique experience

• Like Like x 1
  3. adam.fisher6912

adam.fisher6912 Member

I'm getting it tomorrow and can't wait. But just a thank you for not bashing it and realising there are many good things that people have put a lot of effort into.
    There may be problems but for me the scenery isn't an issue. It will be a new driving experience on a new railway and I for one will embrace it with open arms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. appledates#4945

I’m glad your looking forward to getting it! There is a great experience to be had and I really wanted to make a thread that highlights some of the unique aspects brought to TSW2 with this route.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Has it been released on PC yet? I’m not sure you can have had any experiences driving on the mountain yet unless you have it on console, in which case this is not the section to be posting in.

• Like Like x 11
  6. appledates#4945

Stujoy, your more then welcome to contact a moderator and have this thread deleted then if that makes you feel better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I kinda agree with stujoy. Why post this in the PC section when it’s clearly not a PC you’re playing it on?

• Like Like x 6
  8. appledates#4945

I didn’t realize experiences pertaining to a route was platform specific, although it is clear now I was wrong to post a positive thread in the PC section.

9. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Wrong section, please move this to the relevant subforum.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I feel fine already thanks, I was actually really wondering whether you had actually played it yet. All your experiences in the post are, or rather is ‘it feels like driving up a mountain’ which isn’t very specific. I don’t think you’ve got it yet.

• Like Like x 4
  12. appledates#4945

Or maybe I was just opening a conversation about it with community, instead of listing all the things I find unique experiences. Your more then willing to shut down something positive for this community, as that’s what a lot of this community does best.

13. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

appledates#4945 what platform are you playing on Xbox or Playstation? I will move the thread to the correct section for you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Which one is it then?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. appledates#4945

Xbox, if you could also delete the posts that don’t pertain to the subject matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

16. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I have moved the thread, and edited some messages that were getting a bit personal. I appreciate it can be frustrating when threads are created in the wrong section, but it was an easy fix and there's no need for nastiness.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Appledates - I'm looking forward to driving on this route once it downloads. do you have any particular tips on technique or route management that you might want to share?

• Like Like x 1
  18. appledates#4945

I am most certainly still learning, I have started the first scenario multiple times as it features a 4 train set with 3 empty log wagons connected to the back while also going down the steep 6% grade. I’ve derailed, gone past red lights and have looked away for one second only to realize I’m all of sudden going 60kmh instead of the 30kmh. I will spend some of today practicing and trying to get a better idea of how to properly drive, I will say it has been fun and challenging learning though!

• Like Like x 1
  19. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Not too impressed with the visual experience, the scenery reminds me of "Medal of Honour" on PS2

20. appledates#4945

I think the visual experience is the issue that has plagued every TSW route to date which is how a route loads distant assets and pop in. This route having more distant scenery makes it more noticeable but certainly doesn’t really hinder the fun experience.

21. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I agree I don't see what all the negativity is about it still looks awesome to me, the bugs seem minor aside from the lighting in the tunnels. This route is just not my cup of tea.

Remember this is a simulator, if you want it exactly as it is in real life, then go and see the route in person. They are to try and get it as close to real life as possible. And it looks like a good job to me. Maybe if they had years to work on a route it would look perfect, but there are budget and time constraints Rivet needs to consider as well.

In my opinion the good definitely out weighs the positives and I'm sure alot of people will have a great time on this route. I'm sure the minor bugs will be fixed in due time.

But honestly I could not do what these guys do and if you think you could why not apply for a job? And show them how it's supposed to be done.

• Like Like x 4
  22. jonharris

jonharris New Member

I got it at 00:01 and spent about 3 1/2 hours in total going up and down, first impressions:

Pros
    The 4/4 II is beautifully presented and having all the individually named locomotives present is a nice touch

Chur looks like Chur with the post busses and traffic, Sand depot is well represented as are the few Arosa Energie substations in accurate locations and they look the part.
    I ran the route upwards in summer alongside a cab ride (search Lorirocks777 on YouTube) and the tunnels and refuges were pretty much spot on for location/ timing with the real thing.
    The scenery is good enough for me except the known draw distance issues although if anyone has an issue with that I’d say it’s a train sim not a 4K uhd tv advert (IMHO)

Cons:
    The sounds. In cab the carriages bumping together and the running noise of the bogies is far too loud over the locomotive yet it’s not a problem when camera is outside cab so it’s a simple bug.
    The signalling is missing full ZS integration, so if you cut in the deadman’s handle the bleeper only activates around twice to three times going upwards (at St Peter, near Litzirüti and on arrival at Arosa for me anyway. Should be a few more at least as the signalling trips to danger aspects on approach to station stops so it’s a bit bizarre to me (not sure if anyone can shed light on this)
    Derailment. Ugh. So basically the 4/4 II (to my understanding and I quantify that I work in medical not engineering or railways) has essentially powered braking for maintaining speeds and using the electrical motors but due to the gradients descending this only retarded me at 95-100% braking and I had to top up with vacuum braking (which bizarrely again isn’t covered in the tutorial which has you climbing from Chur) which meant I derail every time (and I mean every time) I come down from Arosa usually before Litzirüti where I get routed through two points into a passing loop at the halt stop before the viaduct and I derail at the second junction or I derail on a random curve. And I haven’t gone above 30km/h on any occasion as I’ve been constantly trying to drive the descent since this became an apparent problem for me. so user friendliness gets a massive mark down for me as there could be more support from the tutorial at the very least to explain this to me.
    And the runaround at Arosa is a bad joke. It’s the most over complicated SPAD fest it could possibly be I was literally in tears. I passed reds on 4 occasions before I got out of the cab and got in the opposite locomotive to watch the AI. Again it’s just way over complicated for me really.
    And the locomotive performance is lack I lose 10 minutes at least to the power wheel because it consistently bottoms out at 31km/h on the 3.3 setting and 27km/h on 3 so that’s just weird. The timetable itself is also nuts as there is literally no slack to set up the train in there it’s get in and go like thunder or you lose time from the get go which is unnecessarily strict IMO.

However please buy it, it’s super fun and a beautiful route in real life. It’s just long enough for a nice easy escape from reality at just over an hour and I’m enjoying fighting through the issues I’ve stated a bug. (and if rivet do the Allegra then I’ll be made up)
    Regards
    J.

• Like Like x 1
  23. appledates#4945

Very in depth post, thank you for sharing. I also found myself derailing at the 1st junction going downhill if I wasn’t overly cautious of my speed, and I agree that a tutorial tackling downhill would be very helpful, although I have also been having fun with the challenge of learning. I am happy to hear that although frustrating at times you are enjoying the route. I would like to think we will be pros at this in no time :).

24. appledates#4945

As you can tell from this graph, I’m still very much getting the hang of it lol. For the 6% descent with 137t, I kept the dynamic braking at 50% and applied the vacuum brake as needed, which worked well for me. Although I’m not sure it’s the correct way. Definitely have a feeling of accomplishment completing the descent!
    I also want to add that it is awesome to have passenger+freight in one service and is a very welcomed aspect, I do hope we will get these types of services added to the main timetable instead of just in scenarios. With the patch they made for the 204 that changed up some of the timetable and actually even added a new scenario, I have faith in Rivet to add these types of services if the community would like them.
    C9FEBFA2-3153-4662-BDCD-B4C2A012BE40.jpeg

25. jonharris

jonharris New Member

It is definitely a welcome addition to TSW and the possibilities are really limitless to expand on the base route. I have found that there’s one or two glaring omissions but overall it’s got the replay-ability I haven’t found in other routes, mostly because it is a complete terminus to terminus run and there isn’t one end to the route where the AI just disappears into the ether with your consist. I’ll definitely be with it for the long haul I do hope there’s a few extra things to come but otherwise I’m really enjoying it it’s probably my highlight of TSW/ TSW2 so far.

• Like Like x 1
  26. appledates#4945

I didn’t even really realize that! One train that travels from Chur-Arosa, will turn around at Arosa and continue on back to Chur. That is awesome! We could ride a passenger service up and then back down without having to wonder where the line goes or to be teleported out of bounds. We can also just watch the trains do their turn around an at each end of the route and continue on. I love the narrow gauge and I’m just really amazed by the whole thing. I also love how it’s mostly a single track with sidings just big enough to squeeze a train by.

27. jonharris

jonharris New Member

From the TSW and the RhB timetable there’s three sets so 2 Arosa one Chur which are timetabled to cross at specific points (off the top of my head Sand depot, Untersax and Litzirüti but there’s quite a few passing loops) plus up to four additional sets that run as Regio Express workings which only call at specific stops and not for requests unlike the usual Regio workings. They’re timetabled with the PostBus services as well so they run like clockwork. At Chur there’s a chord which connects with the RhB line to Landquart which is where all the units are serviced from the Arosalinie now as they’re all operating on the same voltage from the overhead lines whereas before the Arosa line differed from the rest of the network. At Chur there is usually a shunter which propels different consists and additional carriages from the sidings and takes and adds things like the omnipresent Coop vans or the other freight (mostly cement, gravel for the gravel works near Arosa and timber stake wagons) which speeds up the operations there. It’s mostly run with Allegra 3 car railcars with additional carriage stock (especially now during COVID times with demand so low) but the GE 4/4s were and still are pretty common (the allegras came in 2009-2011) hence it being mostly self contained with the connection to the wider network at the Chur end but no through services so like you say it’s more of a shuttle up and down.

• Like Like x 2
  28. appledates#4945

Thank you very much for the detailed information as I had no idea how these services run in real life. This routes characteristics and shuttle up and down services definitely add to the charm!

29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The route feels like it's worth more than the sum of its parts.

My opinion remains mostly unchanged from what I wrote on this post:
    The textures are now better than that stream, so that improves things a lot.

One thing I only really noticed after playing is how much Rivet actually focussed on close scenery, this is a route which is most enjoyed by staying inside the cab. Although I don't fully agree on that decision on such a scenic route, I still respect why they decided to go this way, and it can still be enjoyed.

I don't know if it's worth the full price, but if you are a RhB enthusiast it's definitely a nice purchase. Otherwise not really, I still personally prefer IoW.

There are some bugs that can spoil the immersion a bit (missing mountains near Chur and the sounds that start to loop after a bit), but generally it's a pretty decent in terms of immersion, the extremely high detail train helps a lot with that, it really seems almost a perfectly photo realistic recreation of the original rolling stock, even better than the already awesome Class 465.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1