Dutch Route Suggestion: The Hague (den Haag) - Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Christiaan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Hey! Today I got a new, very busy suggestion. Let me know what you think!

The route

My suggestion is the route from The Hague to Amsterdam. It goes from The Hague Central or The Hague HS (They are basically next to each other, but one (Central) is a terminal station like München Hauptbahnhof and the other one (HS) is a through-station.) to Amsterdam-Zuid or Amsterdam Central. Halfway to Amsterdam (just after Leiden Station), the line splits up in two different lines: One going to Amsterdam-Zuid over Schiphol and the other one going to Amsterdam Central over Haarlem:
    metromapmaker (1).png

The Timetable
    This is gonna be a very busy timetable with a lot of commuter services and no freight trains.

Intercity services:

The Hague HS/Central - Amsterdam-Zuid: every 15 minutes
    The Hague HS/Central - Amsterdam Central: every 15 minutes

Stopping services:
    The Hague Central - Amsterdam Central (over Schiphol): every 30 minutes
    The Hague Central - Haarlem: every 30 minutes
    Hoofddorp - Amsterdam Central: every 30 minutes (the blue line)
    Hoofddorp - Amsterdam-Zuid: every 15 minutes
    Haarlem - Amsterdam Central: every 15 minutes

Rolling stock
    For the Intercities, I recommend using the VIRM-M or the "Koploper":

VIRM-M: recently modernised and most used intercity
    [​IMG]
    Koploper: oldest but most loved intercity train (could also function as a DLC)
    [​IMG]

For the stopping services, I recommend using the SNG or the SLT. The SGM could function as a DLC.

SNG:
    [​IMG]
    SLT:
    [​IMG]
    SGM: Oldest stopping service trains in the Netherlands, rarely used nowadays. A perfect DLC.
    [​IMG]

Signals
    For a pretty extensive guide on Dutch railway signals, I would recommend to visit this Wikipedia site "https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoorwegsein". Translate the Dutch page to your own language with google translate, as the Dutch page is the most detailed. This site is even more detailed: "https://www.dutchrail.eu/spoorwegen/nederland/seinenboek?showall=1".
    In general, Dutch signals are very easy. Most common are green, flashing green (drive with the shown speed), yellow, yellow with a number (brake until your drive the shown speed) and red. Simple right?

Safety systems
    The main safety system of the route is called ATB-EG. (ATB = automatic train influence, EG = first generation) Link to the Wikipedia site: "https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATB_Eerste_Generatie". If you encounter for example a yellow signal, you acknowledge that signal by braking. Easy!
    Besides the ATB, Dutch trains also have the "dead mans button", like SIFA in Germany.

Conclusion

All in All, the route is 100 kilometres long, which may be a bit on the long side. Fortunately, the landscaping is very easy, as it is just flat flat flat. Nevertheless, the route is still very scenic and special in it's own way. Besides the scenery, there will be around 44 services departing every hour. Because of this, the map will never feel empty and always alive!

But, if DTG still thinks the route is too long, which is understandable, and want to scrap a part of it, these are the best options:
    - scrap the part from The Hague to Leiden Central ---> result: 86 km. (preserving the number of services, but the journey times are being reduced by ~15 min.)
    - scrap the part from Leiden Central to Amsterdam Zuid ---> result: 67 km. (too short + less services)
    - scrap the part from Leiden Central to Amsterdam Central --> result: 57 km (too short + less services)

Which part would you scrap?

• Like Like x 14
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Any Dutch route would be great. I've made my own suggestion, as have many more players that want dutch routes, but this route too could be a good starting point for Dutch routes!

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This route looks interesting. Maybe in the future it can be made

4. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Oh yeah you are quite right creeperblox2710 . I was under the impression that most of the new routes were longer, but I guess 68 isn't that short after all haha. Your suggestion would be fabulous too, but with a length of around 115 km, I unfortunately doubt they will create that route in the near future... I wish we could somehow help with creating a Dutch route by modelling assets and stuff...

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and speaking of the Kopoloper trainset there should be a service that requires you to form 8 car train from Amsterdam to Den Haag from the Depot or yard. Split the assigned 8 car train into two 4 car trains then pull up into either Amsterdam Zuid or Central using the 4 car train instead of the 8 car train. The message is this Unexpected Train Formation. This results in a Bronze Medal for doing the Empty Kopoloper coach move to either Amsterdam or Den Haag stations. Gameplay-wise if implemented into Train Sim World 2 looks like you're playing a combination of LIRR and German train safety systems since dutch trains have Sifa and LIRR ATC? Speaking of ATB EG-equipped trains is there an ATB release button or not? They are DB BR185 DB BR146.2 DB BR182 & Dosto cab bars if you forgot to acknowledge the signal which triggers a PZB/LZB Zwangsbremsung therefore use the PZB/LZB Release button to restart acceleration from the signal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Dutch trains have something similar to Sifa, but it's not called that (we call it 'dodemanspedaal' or dead-mans pedal in english, but I don't know if that's an official name). As for ATB, it does have a release button, which you have to press after an emergency stop. It also isn't excactly similar to the systems on LIRR. It uses more sound-based information (bells and gongs in the cab) in addition to lamps in the cab or images on screens on modern locos. ATB also has different speed levels linked to different pulse frequencies. The signalling is also totally different from LIRR. But the basic idea of the system (continuous information being transmitted via pulsating currents through the tracks) is the same.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  8. mc_pater

mc_pater New Member

Come on DTG, create a Dutch route!

• Like Like x 2
  9. tallboy7648

They made have not gotten a license yet

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

If DTG has no license, how come the NS Kalksteen wagons with NS logo ended up in here ? ;)

11. mc_pater

mc_pater New Member

I am almost certain that NS is willing to give lincenses, as ChrisTrains has made many NS train already, which he would't have created without a license. So it's up to DTG! (if I'm correct)

12. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

DTG was sneaky on this one

13. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

This add-on is actually made by virtualRailroads, not DTG.

14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's published by DTG. So doesn't that mean DTG needs a license to publish it?

15. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

And in any case VirtualRailroads had to have a license right? I think the main reason for them to not create this route is the difficulty to travel between countries right now.

16. tallboy7648

Hey I said they may not have gotten a license because I didn't know. That addon was made by a third party, not dtg

17. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

Little late, but I 100% love this suggestion!
    Hope DTG reads this. I think it's high time for official Dutch content given the overwhelming demand.