Selling Dlc

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Coastway trainspotter, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi dtg ,
    I am considering going from Xbox to PlayStation , but I have over £150 of dlc which I don’t want to lose . So would I be allowed to sell those dlcs and the base game , or would that not be allowed . I completely understand if it isn’t , but I can’t afford a PlayStation unless I sell most of my Xbox stuff (don’t want to sound to needy , just wondering) . Thanks

2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I doubt if this would be possible if you bought digitally from the Xbox store. Also you are buying the licence, not the actual software so it probably wouldn’t be allowed anyway.

If you have it on disk, this might be a different matter. CEX would probably buy it but you won’t get anywhere near the price you paid for it. Not sure about the actual legality though as, again, you are buying the licence to use it but CEX seem to get away with it.

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I am afraid that you will lose your dlc since I assume you bought it off the Microsoft store. You would have to repurchase the dlc you bought in the sony store. This is the case for pretty much every game dlc if you are switching platforms.

4. Coastway trainspotter

Actually, I’ve just realised that if i sold the whole Xbox with the games , that would probably be ok , but it depends on the dlc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yes, you could sell the XBox with the games but that would mean the buyer would have to be able to access your account to use said games and any associated DLC (unless they are disc versions of the games).
    Unfortunately, selling gamertags is against the terms and if MS found out, the entire console would be bricked and useless.

Digital content is non-transferrable between accounts (unless on a family account) as part of XBox Live (now XBox Network).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coastway trainspotter

Is there a way I could reset the account and email but keep the games on it ?

7. Coastway trainspotter

So I could delete the account so a new person could create a new account with the games ?

Attached Files:

8. SamTDS

SamTDS New Member

No, there is no way to remove the games from your account to let another person access and use them. that is the downside of switching platform, you then have to rebuild your collection.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SamTDS

SamTDS New Member

that would take you past pretty much every online game distribution company terms and conditions. Physical copies which are less common these days (and even somtimes these cant eg ts2014 which requires steam and gives you a code) dont have the limitation as much

10. Coastway trainspotter

Could I change the email and new user could change the password ?

11. SamTDS

SamTDS New Member

no as thats selling an account which is against the Terms and conditions. Its also a very poor way as it is a large security risk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

I always buy any of my console games on disc (if available) to avoid this exact situation. As far as I'm aware if bought through the Microsoft store games are tied to your account and are non transferable and selling your account is against Microsofts terms so they would probably smell a rat and end up disabling the account rendering all games on there unplayable, You'd then legally have to refund the buyer because they were sold something that doesn't work.

13. Coastway trainspotter

My Xbox is all digital unfortunately. Is there a way I could save my games on some kind of file / drive and delete the Xbox account , then reinstall them on the new account ?

14. SamTDS

SamTDS New Member

no

15. Coastway trainspotter

5062C192-C3E3-4C4B-8568-B53B9DA577D8.jpeg Here , I think I know what to do

16. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I don't think so as digital games are tied to the account/gamertag that purchased them. You can't transfer digital games to another gamertag.

17. SamTDS

SamTDS New Member

you are still locked to using the specific microsoft account you brought them with

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coastway trainspotter

But a new email can be used can’t it ? The old email is gone from the Xbox so there is no copyright issue ?

19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

All the things you buy in digital form are associated to your account, even it you factory reset your console you would have to be logged in with your profile to download your stuff.

Even if you manage to factory reset your console without having to re-download your games and DLCs the game would not start if you are not logged in your profile.

There is no way out, your games and DLCs are linked to your profile and there is nothing you can do, except selling your profile, which is illegal (but somewhat popular), I'm afraid there is no way to separate your purchases from your profile.

Of course that doesn't stop you from trying, and in case I'm wrong let me know how you did that :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  20. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

FD1003 has hit the nail on the head to resolve the back and forth with ideas that sadly won’t work.

out of interest what Xbox model is it? To work out the actual value of the hardware vs DLC. And how comes moving over to PS? (5 I assume?)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Coastway trainspotter

It is an Xbox one s , I think with the price of games , dlc and the actual console it is worth about £300

22. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

On a practical basis you would have to sell a potential new owner your entire account. That would include everything you currently own digitally on the account (this is true for PlayStation, Xbox, Steam).

On a legal basis every one of these platforms forbids you from doing so in their Ts&Cs due to money laundering risks.

On a common sense basis, buying an account from someone else is an extremely risky thing to do. There is no escrow service to ensure that you are given the login and password after taking "ownership" and given its viability for money laundering you are opening yourself up to being ripped off.

Sorry the news isn't more helpful.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

300 quid for a used One S? Assuming that the games are on disc and not downloads that are tied to your account, 300 quid is pretty ambitious.
    Selling it with login access to your account to include anything you've downloaded is just asking for a world of hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  24. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Basically you must sell your account as well

25. Coastway trainspotter

But that’s not allowed is it :(

26. Class395

Class395 Active Member

no it's not

27. Coastway trainspotter

Hi everyone , I was mainly considering switching from Xbox to PlayStation so I could livestream , but I have found a way on Xbox , so this thread can be locked now :)

• Like Like x 2
  28. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Brilliant, glad you managed to sort it:)

29. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

No one can tell you what you can and can't sell. You can sell your console with all the information on it. Just do not use your account any longer, otherwise new owner (if decides to keep the software and account) will be very unhappy. Plus noone would pay for the games anyway these days so either way you will lose all DLC, your account and have to invest again.
    Best thing to do is to upgrade on XBox and as then you can port your stuff over (if supported).

30. Coastway trainspotter

I have about £200 worth of games , and the console cost me about £150 first hand and it still runs exactly the same as it did when I first used it , so I reckon if I were to sell it I’d probably be able to get about £100 for it

31. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Even with a stack of games, nothing over 200 quid really moves on ebay. If you think you can get £300 though, there's nothing lost by giving it a go, so go for it. It could be just what someone is looking for.
    It's worth keeping in mind though that if your games are all digital and unless you're willing to sell the console with access to you account, the games are worth zero. Even on disc and unless it's the latest big name release, second hand games go for a fraction of what they were new.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Personally, I would avoid CEX like the proverbial. Based on my own experiences, and numerous stories on youtube. Some of their practices are sketchy at best. They will offer you so little for what you are selling, that you might as well just donate it to a charity shop.

• Like Like x 1