Nec North: Boston - Providence And Then Some

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Anything with the Acela Express would be an instant buy for me ❤️ even though I'm generally not really into non-Japanese trains, that thing looks and sounds perfect - the shape of the loco and coaches, the cab interior, the livery, the horn sound, everything.

Just don't give us the new one that replaced it, it looks terrible.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree and it's already made by Dovetail games for sister game train Sim 21 Northeast Corridor Philadelphia to New Haven & Baltimore to Washington. It just needs to be ported over from TS21 to TSW 2 this is how the game got the M7 they already made an existing M7 from TS21 Hudson Line into LIRR M7 with rework and paint job. This route will attract TS21 players that have the Acela Express and play it on consoles to see if it's going to perform the same way as TS21.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commiee

I agree. This is what Sam said about porting the TSW version to TSW2 in the last roadmap stream (1:15:20). I'm not sure if this means they are not looking to create any NEC route now, or that they can recreate the TS 2021 one instead.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  4. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I'd be in the minority that actually likes the Avelia Liberty (the replacement for the Acela). But that's mostly because it has a european-style horn which is just hilarious. That being said I'd like to see both the new and the old high speed trains on the route, with some Amtrak commuters, some MBTA commuters and subway, and some CSX freight. But this is TSW 2 which means it will never happen; the most types of loco we've seen on a route is 3, and we haven't seen more than 2 on TSW 2 exclusive routes.

5. driverwoods#1787

Since I watched it Sam was talking about train Sim World Northeast Corridor being a dead end but not Train Sim 21 Northeast Corridor Philadelphia to New Haven, CT & Baltimore to Washington Union Station being a success.

6. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Well ummmm good news i guess?

7. Commiee

Sounds like it. Did Acela run IRL on the route they are supposedly bringing in? If it did I guess there's a chance it could be coming as a future loco DLC?

8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The "leak" of Rush Hour today had this route in it.

9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Not only does it run on the route (still does, and still will just with newer equipment entering service next year), but it's actually the *fastest* part of the NEC, with a stretch of it at 150 MPH. I think an Acela DLC is pretty much guaranteed.

• Like Like x 4
  10. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

What kind of freight runs on these tracks?

11. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Mostly CSX Locals that have 4-axle locos. So expect a GP38 to drive on if they've added a freight layer (which would be from Sandpatch if so).

• Like Like x 2
  12. aarontheloner

Works with me.

13. jeremydunn8

They did us dirty skipping right over the highly-requested Acela like they did! I’m half joking, I’m assuming they’re probably gonna offer that as DLC, which is a slight bummer but they’ll definitely make more money that way. They could also do some of the MBTA subway as another add-on.

The one question I’d like answered though, will we see freight layers borrowing CSX locos from SPG? That sounds easy enough to do, considering the amount of layering that is done with British and German routes.

14. Challenger3985

Again, since this route is mainly passenger focus (and the leaked page hasn't mentioned anything freight-related yet), there might not be a chance to have freight in the layer at all.
    But if possibly so, then you'll pretty much be seeing a few services with just the GP38s from Sandpatch, along with some Boxes and Hoppers to pull through the line.

15. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

So does this NEC route and the LIRR share any connection since amtrak uses some of the tracks in the new york area.

16. raildan

Riesa-Dresden has freight, it's mentioned in the leak! Comes with what seems to be the same MRCE 185 in RRO.

And... yeah, the pack's passenger-focused, but I don't see why they can't add a freight layer just because of that- after all, that's kinda the point of layers, isn't it? To add something to the route that wouldn't be there in just the base route?

There could also be a class 66 layer on BML, similarly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Nowhere close to one another. Providence RI is 180 miles from NYC. That's the distance from London to York, or Paris to Brussels.

18. jeremydunn8

They’ve done freight on all the British and German passenger routes. They could definitely do it. It doesn’t have to be the best service ever but it would be nice to see in the background.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Challenger3985

While I don't see a problem with layers either (even if Germans routes would almost have every routes and locos be connected one way or another).
    And after seeing the line from Google Maps, sure, there is a chance that freight can be possible (between Attleboro and Readville). But it would feel like more of a through local (just driving on the mainline) than doing an actual local plus switching. If the devs haven't implemented the sidings properly that is.

(yep, I'm sleepy right now. So sorry if this post does not make sense right now)

• Like Like x 1
  20. raildan

I mean, I don't see why they wouldn't implement the sidings? It's not really a lot extra, it's not like rhey have to model a whole branch or anything. But even without that, so what? Some people will like it anyway without switching. Plenty of layers, including freight layers, are just end-to-end nonstop pretty much- like SKA, which is also a passenger-only route without layers. Thqt's still fine and hasn't stopped them, and a nice calm "boring" freight run for no extra cost still seems fine to me.

And don't worry lol, I'm always tired so I know what you mean there

21. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

The only things that Amtrak shares with LIRR are the four tunnels on the east of Penn Station and some of Penn Station and a small part of the Moynihan Hall.

22. trainsimplayer

No, none at all.
    This route is Boston - Providence
    LIRR is in New York.
    Your thinking of the old, abandoned NEC route.

23. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

Excellent proposal. Like this between Providence & Boston can help yu out. IMG_20210503_115411_185.jpg

24. trainsimplayer

If the 'leaked' article on Sunday proves to be true, This route will be in Rush hour. Screenshot_20210502_091509.jpg

25. raildan

This also shows why I'm hoping we get the Stoughton branch- about half the trains end in Stoughton, on the end of a short 4 mile branch after Canton Junction. Being curvier, single track, unelectrified, and close to buildings, it would be a nice little change in pace from the rest of the route.

Also, it's more than a "proposal" now, you may want to check out what people have been freaking out over on the Rush Hour thread for the last day or so...

• Like Like x 2
  26. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Somewhat off topic from the overall thread, but I can already see the questions about those pages in the chats of the streams and I can already feel the annoyance.
    [​IMG]

27. driverwoods#1787

That F40PH MBTA will be made off from a Caltrain F40PH-2 CAT to save time on DTG end while the ACS-64 Amfleet comes from TSW2020 NEC Newark Airport Railway Station to New Rochelle, NY in a reworked form. In timetable mode, you have the AM Rush sleeper trains 65,66 & 67 from Washington DC with a Viewliner I/ II attached.

• Like Like x 1
  28. solicitr

The new one won't even enter service until next year.

29. Commiee

True, but who knows when DTG's (imagined) DLC would be coming - if it's a year+ from now, presumably it could be either.

30. solicitr

While that is conceptually true, as a practical matter there's no way DTG would be able to research the Liberty.

31. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

The new one looks awesome. What you all talking about?! Only bad part was the French horn was a bit of a joke.

You wanna see ugly with an upper case U?
    Look up the Wisconsin Talgo and be prepared with a bucket. Or look at that awful duck faced thing they use in the Netherlands.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Explain this...like, whats the point of the mismatched Power cars to the coaches?
    20210503_155045.jpg

The older one looks better, and will still be in service till the Libertys fully take over in late 2022.
    Acela_old_saybrook_ct_summer2011.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  33. Commiee

You're telling me the bastardisation of incompatible, awkward shapes and that vertically bent duck-nose on the bottom looks "awesome" when you have the sleek, neat hotness above it? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  34. aarontheloner

AEM-7 as a DLC? Whose with me?

• Like Like x 4
  35. solicitr

I'm fairly sure those are Acela coaches attached for the tests, not the Horizon ones.

But I agree that schnozz is fugly.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Nope, the Acela coaches aren't articulated, the Liberty's are. The Liberty coaches are much shorter as well.
    amt_coach_003212-L.jpg 30278_amtrakacelaalstomavelialiberty6_515658_crop.jpg

37. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

No no, those are the new coaches. The Avelia is whole ugly, mis-shapen mess that is way over-powered for the purpose it is going to serve. Heck, it feels like they got 2 completely different designers in for the coaches and power cars who didn't communicate to each other and then they put them together and told themselves it looks great. It's bad enough when the power car looks like an ugly shoe. The Avelia Liberty definitely not worth of holding the Acela name. I am improvements and progress, but so long as the predecessor is actually a decent replace in both looks and function. However, the Acela is a work of art. I hope there will be an Acela DLC in the future for NEC 2.0, but I sure do hope the Avelia isn't added, and if it is, it'll probably be on of the only DLCs I avoid. I'm not typically negative, but I just can't stand the Avelia.

• Like Like x 2
  38. EpilepticWeasel

EpilepticWeasel Active Member

I agree with you about the Stoughton branch. Seeing what they did with all the branch lines from Clinchfield it would be cool if they added the Stoughton branch and even the Needham line which would add another 8.7 miles and 8 stations branching off from Forest Hills. While 8.7 miles isn't a ton, that is probably more of a stretch because DTG has previously stated that stations are amongst the more time consuming things to build in game.

39. raildan

Yeah, I think the Needham line is probably a bit much- if they included *that* much extra I feel like they'd mention it, at least in passing like they hinted at Riesa-Dresden having a lot of branches.

40. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

So are suggesting dtg might have to make a new car for a passenger train,in this case a sleeper car.After the whole HHL doppelstock flap who would have thought it possible.

• Like Like x 1
  41. raildan

Those won't be included, I can guarantee it. Remember, the route is set at the specific time period that they started researching, maybe earlier, but no later. These services were introduced last month. What makes you think they'll go back and model it that quickly?

42. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Man you must hate it when freight locos or the Amtrak MOW equipment have to pull broken down passenger trains.

They aren't the prettiest things sure, but they look fine, the mismatched cars aren't that noticeable, and they'll do the job well I'm sure. Frankly I'm quite glad the government realized that types like the TGV are decent designs that don't need to be fattened up needlessly like they did with the Acela. I like the thing, but lets be honest, the Acela is just a overly heavy and less reliable versions of the TGV. Compared to types in other countries they're kind of mediocre units, on the whole it's probably a good thing they'll only be museum pieces soon.

...Now if you excuse me I'm running before ya'll come after me.

*Hides in bunker*

• Like Like x 1
  43. driverwoods#1787

Maybe if they want to do an Amtrak DLC for the route as a bundle with Avelia Liberty Acela Express and a Viewliner II. 2021 NEC Pack. The other option is actually having a route that has a Viewliner IIs as standard then layered here for Trains 65 66 & 67.

44. Challenger3985

Eh, some people still like the first-gen just by body design and performance, instead of effiency (I could be wrong though). And tbh, I don't like either of the Acela trains anyways (no matter what it looks like), so your safe with me.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna disappear as well *poof*

45. solicitr

Actually, drivers have called the Liberty the "Pig" precisely because it's so ridiculously heavy, thanks to absurdly excessive Federal crash-safety requirements

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A significant number of routes that comes to TSW are ones that have been suggested by the OP of this thread, before he disappeared from the forum around a year ago. Hmmmm...

• Like Like x 2
  47. Commiee

Hmmmm..

48. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report that 'duck faced thing' has been taken out of service a few years ago due to 'door-falling-out' and 'train-cathcing-fire' issues.

upload_2021-5-4_16-31-19.png

• Like Like x 2
  49. driverwoods#1787

I'm with you on that one and if Skyhook games decides to do NEC route. The AEM-7 you're proposing will be reskinned from Amtrak paint into SEPTA if Skyhook Games did NEC Philadelphia, PA to New York Penn Station via Trenton New Brunswick Newark Airport & Secaucus Junction. That AEM-7 can be remade into ALP-44 for NJ Transit 4400-4431 followed by SEPTA 2308. If there's retro skin options for AEM-7 the Mid 2000s have Phase II-V Paint.

• Like Like x 2
  50. aarontheloner

Didn't occur to me all the other potential routes it could be used on, lol.