Skyhook Games And The Cane Creek Branch Line, Slow And Steady?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Mar 25, 2021.

1. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Are those photos fake? That doesn't look like TSW to me

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

They definitely are TSW, you can see by the ugly water and by the original terrain where it's visible. But these rock formations all seem to be custom models, and they are beautiful.

• Like Like x 2
  3. helderbrincolas

That's some proper work right there, looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Those really do look stunning and amazing

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Rivet, take notes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If that's what it really is, I think I'll buy this mower simulator of them.

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, good eye. I'd agree with those points, especially the river water. It looks a little too reminiscent of the sea in IoW. But, overall, it looks very impressive. I'm partial to desert routes, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

363, Modelling, Texturing, Animation. OK. Trained professionals. Now we talking.
    source

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Not to mention that one shot shows a crossing guard already down, meaning there might not be any animated cross gates on this route. (Unless a train was placed off screen, but I doubt that.)

Not that big of a deal though.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I had no idea they've done so many things for the game already, albeit probably only the sources, not the programming in TSW itself... still... wow

• Like Like x 2
  11. helderbrincolas

Reading on their website, they provid assets to DTG, so by this quality of scenery that we saw here in Cane Creek, maybe Skyhook games provided some assets for Chlinchfield Railroad, because that route has an upgrade on what we have seen in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It does look like the lights are flashing, though.

13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I must admit, quite recently, as I heard Skyhook, I was scratching my head and thinking: poor Traxx... I do not hide, I looked at their website and it did not look very encouraging. Maybe I am old and I made a mistake.

I was expecting an attempt to reproduce this spectacular sand, but I couldn't even imagine what someone managed to do. Very tasteful. I didn't think the terrain in TSW could look like this. I thought these boring pastel textures are mandatory. I don't complain, I like how this game looks, but we'll all agree - terrain textures... Very surprising. It is also surprising how these pictures came to us.

14. leyland1195

leyland1195 New Member

Hoping this wont be a ubisoft downgrade , Ie Looks amazing now but then they release it and it's quite different because of performance

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I had zero interest in that route. Now after seing those pictures I am absolutely excited to see more, I did not imagine that the scenery could be so well done. Guess stones are not as ressource heavy as trees...
    Even if it is not that much my cup of tea, if this is how it is actually going to look like, I might buy it anyway just to show appreciation for their work.
    And on a side note, so far I liked the Union Pacific liveries the most on American trains.

• Like Like x 3
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It also could just mean that this is the raw physical route, and the signaling system etc had't been installed

17. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Looks very promising indeed. I wish DTG would let high-end PC users unlock the more realistic-looking water I’m sure Unreal is capable of, as it lets down the rest of the otherwise impressive scenery (water quality slider?).

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dinosbacsi

You don't need high-end PC for that. Look at Train Simulator's reflective water and even that's better than TSW's water. Or look at some really old games like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 that had one of the most beautiful water graphics for it's time, and you didn't need a monster PC to run it.

TSW's water is simply bad, but not because if performance reasons. You can make performance friendly, nice looking water.

• Like Like x 2
  19. solicitr

Unless Cane Creek releases running at 15 fps......

• Like Like x 2
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Still, flawless victory by Skyhook. Even without trains :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The colours are amazing, they really pop, more greens and blues to go with the orange. It is a shame the water looks so poor, if the textures at least didn't repeat so often it would be an improvement. It is also odd they have the TSW logo and not the TSW2 logo, but the paths are clearly March 2021.

22. solicitr

It's also possible that the water texture is just a placeholder. These are definitely WIP dev shots

23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It makes me wonder too. It looks incredibly good. Maybe someone made a joke of us :D

24. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

Wow - I'm not taking anything for granted, but if it even looks half as good as that in-game... just wow.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Indeed, you can see that there's more of the "general look" of the route and it still is missing some little details along the track.

• Like Like x 1
  26. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, what's up with Cane Creek? It's been like 7 months, what on earth is taking soo lo—

*notices screenshots*

Wooooah! On second thought, maybe Skyhook can take a little bit longer. Hell, they can take as long as they need to get it all perfect! :love:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  27. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Haha, on a more serious note, back when TSW was in beta and we were getting our first looks, THIS is the sort of stuff I'd imagined we'd be getting, with the Unreal Engine being used in fantastic ways. Skyhook has done one hell of a job with the landscape, fingers crossed they can manage to pull this off without a hitch :D

• Like Like x 12
  28. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I made last days some trip to the past, watched beta videos, hehe, yeah, true.

• Like Like x 1
  29. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Yepper!!
    I can't wait to see this route in action!! The only thing holding me back is the likely hood of the AC44 and SD40-2 being reused from SPG, and the lack of services on the Cane Creek Branch irl.

• Like Like x 1
  30. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This route was started before animated crossing gates made it into TSW2, and assuming these are WIP screenshots, animated crossing gates may be added before release. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  31. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. Every player’s computer hardware is similar, but it is different at the hardware level. Although not every player’s computer is equipped with NVIDIA 3090 and AMD 6900XT graphics cards, DTG should be highly configured. Hardware players bring better display graphics performance.

32. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Judging from the current map, the route is very beautiful.
    So the question is, when does DTG plan to announce the release progress of the game?
    The route is a branch, so there is not much timetable.

33. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

It does look really nice, and definitely looking forward to getting this route if the service mode ends up being decent.

Obviously if the real timetable is used, then we aren't getting much of a service. So I personally hope the timetable offers more than two services a week...

34. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I'm not taking anything for granted as long as it's unofficial, it could just as easily be "screens art".

Now it's really pictures taken from the road so I say that the "leap" forward in terms of scenery is monstrous.
    This would partly explain why the Clinchfieeld is so beautiful and provided with trees?!?

35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

American freight routes aren't my favourite thing, but with a scenery like that this route probably ends up on my wishlist. Looks considerably better than Sand Patch Grade or Clinchfield. :)

• Like Like x 2
  36. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

I might be in the minority here, but I actually don't want routes to have timetables that are busier than in real life - even Cane Creek. It just feels wrong. If it's an industrial branch line with one train a day, there should be one train a day, otherwise, it just feels fake and forced.

However, with multiple timetable support now implement, maybe the route will ship with a "realistic" and an "interesting" timetable, to please everybody. But please also keep in mind that there are no passing sidings, etc. on the route, so the actual number of trains you can fit though it per day will be very limited (probably no more than four or five round-trips at maximum).

37. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I quite agree that having a realistic and a fictional timetable is the best way to please everyone.

For me the most important thing is variety of game play, followed by having new locos / toys to play with.

Sadly we aren't getting any new locos this time round, so gameplay becomes even more important to me.

38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is fake. It’s a game, not the real route. We need more than one train running as that would be the dullest thing ever. What if it was one train a week and you were only able to play on a Tuesday to make it realistic? Sorry it’s Wednesday today, there are no trains running. Realistic but not much fun.

• Like Like x 8
  39. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with replaying the same service over and over. Isn't that what we do on every route anyway, just at different times of the day as most services are identical? Of course, I'd love to see more gameplay and variety but this route sadly can't offer it, which is definitely a negative.
    In this case, I'm kinda lucky to have such a view because it means I can still enjoy a route like this :D

• Like Like x 3
  40. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's no point in a realistic timetable when scenario's exist, traffic's light enough that you could do every scheduled run as a scenario and then some. As far as I'm concerned make the timetable busy, and have the scenarios depict real life ops.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Dinosbacsi

Keep in mind that they could also include some variety and more services by shunting services, I suppose.

42. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh man, brilliant! I like this conception. I will try to play some services as invented, at the right time!

It is important to be as much prototypical as possible, but not necessarily super-equal with a real timetable. If there were some activities represented (loading, unloading) - it is, in my opinion, not a big deal to increase the scale or number of trains in general.

The problem would be the abuse of a passenger train running every hour on such a line :)

• Like Like x 1
  43. Dinosbacsi

I actually tend to do that quite often if possible, lol. Check what time it is and go for the service that's closest in in-game time to the real world time, often also going by the weather that's currently outside. Really helps with the immersion when you see the same weather in your game that you see outside your window. And I hate not being able to see at night, but it's just got a special feel to it, driving in the dark when it's dark around you in real life as well.

• Like Like x 5
  44. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oh man thank you! I was so shy to out myself doing the exact same thing. Thought "trains" was nerdy enough :)

• Like Like x 4
  45. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

While the scenery looks great, I certainly hope the physics, the signaling, and all other operational items work correctly, I am more interested in proper operations over graphics... why Run8 is still on my system.

Don’t get me wrong, I would enjoy if prototypical operation of the railway and equipment is correct AND the scenery is as spectacular as these pictures suggest, and I hope that is the case for this route. I guess that is the reason I do not overly excited by any route until released so we can evaluate the whole enchilada as we say.

46. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

A sound course, indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  47. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I would like DTG to introduce new simulation elements for freight trains on the occasion of such premieres. Like PIS for passenger trains. Eg coupler physics.

PS
    Here, I am counting on some solid industry switching activities at least. The scenery is just lovely :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Mark newman

Mark newman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  49. Dinosbacsi

What do you mean? Coupler slack is already simulated. What else can you simulate there?

• Like Like x 2
  50. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Couplers have their endurance. They can be damaged, leading to a stop of the train (derail or emergency state). They are designed in this way on purpose (as the weakest element of the train).

That's interesting... :)

PS This requires the engineer to have the appropriate knowledge, experience and skills - to get there in one piece. In TSW, we do not experience these threats, yet... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021