Nerds: We Are Are Own Worst Enemies

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nockwurst, Mar 27, 2021.

1. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

It’s amazing how much negative flak you read in these forums for Dovetail, for Rivet Games, for some of these DLCs that people just can’t stop complaining about. Glitches, bugs, high prices, the list goes on.

Maybe it just seems simple to me, but...
    If you don’t like the price, maybe don’t buy it?
    If you think it’s gonna be buggy, maybe don’t buy it?

People seem to invest the money just so they have something to whine about.

example, Isle of Wight.
    I willingly paid the price for the DLC. I knew it was smaller. I knew it wasn’t perfect. You know what? I still love it. It’s a fantastic recreation, I love that I can do a run in about 30 minutes, and I think the rendition is well done. I think Rivet did an excellent job. Perfect? I didn’t ask for perfect. I’m old enough to remember gaming on the Atari, I know where we came from.

Thats my rant. Love this game, love this group. Hope you all stay well and healthy.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Sounds like a moan about the moaning, presumably because you want the forums to be better for you. Funnily enough those that moan about the game want the game to be better for them. Cut from the same cloth.

• Like Like x 18
  3. nockwurst

I’ll disagree with you, I don’t think they’re quite the same, but I appreciate the opinion. I get wanting something to be better.

4. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

No problem. I'm 100% sure DTG would want things to be better and would admit bugs and glitches are undesirable in the product. Moaning customers are all part of selling stuff and they wouldn't have created a forum expecting or even wanting only positive feedback. It's good and perhaps more importantly, free market research.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nockwurst

I love debate. I just know we as a fandom turn toxic on occasion, for so many things. Getting into train sims is relatively new for me. I agree with you, companies such as Dovetail and Rivet probably know full well what they’re getting into when they do these types of software, and how difficult we are to please.

More of a lurker than a poster, I appreciate reading through the forums to see what else I can learn about these addictive but wonderful games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

To be honest I'm just glad TSW exists....

Its not as if software developers are falling over each other trying to developed a train sim....

And there's probably good reason for that....

• Like Like x 6
  7. nockwurst

Niche games are becoming very popular. Train Sims and Farming Simulator are just 2 profitable examples.

8. hairyscotsman40

hairyscotsman40 Member

Different opinions and debate is very good however as has been said, as someone who doesn’t want to buy a pc and get on that rollercoaster, I am just happy that TSW exits on console and I get to feed my habit as a frustrated train driver

• Like Like x 5
  9. leyland1195

leyland1195 New Member

Having failed my Online assessment for London overground last week , I am very happy TSW exists and bought nearly every DLC 2 days ago and now furfilling being a train driver in a limited sense but I'm enjoying driving the class 465 with the mods available and just cant wait for more longer UK routes with more varied rolling stock

• Like Like x 2
  10. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, "If you don't like the price, maybe don't buy it?" and "If you think it's going to be buggy, maybe don't buy it?" don't justify overpriced or buggy content. If I pay £24.99 for a DLC, I want it to be worth the money, and if it has limited playability/replayability or is buggy, it's simply not worth it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

This community is very tame compared to the forums of most other developers, so I would say this forum is rarely toxic. Yes, there's often moans and upset in the community, but this is very different to being toxic.

SEHS and Arosa has brought a lot of negativity onto the forum recently, for good measure, as neither are exactly stellar releases. I absolutely love the Swiss narrow gauge lines in TS, but the TSW one has more bugs than a rainforest.

A lot of the negative feedback is purely because we want the game to be better. I've never criticised DTG because I think they're bad at what they do, but instead I criticise in the hope that they'll improve those areas for the future.

If no one complains about a product, then every release will be the same quality with no improvement. In the case of Arosa, if they don't improve then there's no chance I'll be buying their next route. If they act on the feedback provided by myself and others have provided, then I'll give them a final chance.

This is one of those things that people like to post on the forum frequently. However, to go "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is a really poor business model. Like most people, I want to buy the products based on my interests as opposed to if it's too buggy or poorly done.

• Like Like x 2
  12. nockwurst

Ooooooh no, you Europeans are hogging all the great train routes, us poor Canadian cousins are due a Go Train expansion already, lol.

13. nockwurst

Then why are you even here? Honest question, not an attack, if you don’t like their stuff anymore, why are you even still bothering?

14. nockwurst

100%. Honest discourse and debate should always be welcome, imho, and developers who don’t give their customers a chance to have a voice do so at their peril. There should never be anything wrong with constructive criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nockwurst

Well said. You’re right, this forum is quite tame, compared to others, I was making more of a statement in general, but that’s a problem in itself isn’t it, sometimes you can’t paint the same group with the same brush.

appreciate all the responses here today, it made for some great reading, thanks to all of you.

16. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

People complain because they actually would like to spend money. They would like to love the game and enjoy it, including regular new content. It solves nothing not to buy things. It's not about the money, it's about being left with no content, no enjoyment because what's released is in unacceptable quality. And (potential) customers have the right to complain about this. We can all enter into a standoff where we don't buy anything and the developers release low quality content until they go out of business but that doesn't help anybody. Players would be left without content they love and developers would lose their jobs. Complaining is a type of feedback that helps developers get their act together and ultimately to more people buy their products, thus being more profitable and more people getting entertainment out of it.

Now, what does matter is the style how you complain, and I think this is where many people lose control. It's true that whining and insults are not productive and don't help anyone so that even during the worst circumstances we all should keep ourselves reasonable and send feedback in a proper fashion.

Complaining about people complaining doesn't help either. Don't forget that we're all here because we love this game fundamentally. We don't want to abandon it or see it fail. We want it to improve. And often the most passionate fans are the most critical of a product, which is perfectly fine, again, within reasonable boundaries.

• Like Like x 6
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Quite so. Negative feedback is natural, expected and even welcomed; where the toxicity comes in is the posts which simply slag off DTG (or Rivet) with scurrilous accusations: lazy, greedy, ignore feedback, liars et cetera. Oh, and the ones which slag off other players whose preferences differ from the poster's ("US freight is garbage;" "DTG should dump consoles.")

• Like Like x 4
  18. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Complaints and constructive criticism are healthy, and I'm sure the developers appreciate it because it makes them be better and work harder to improve their product.
    Taking your example from IOW, this route was released with a lot of bugs and the criticism made Rivet get to work on fixing it.
    For example also with SEHS, the first presentation they made was also heavily criticised. DTG reacted well by adding things that had been demanded even for the launch and later on they added more things. So, those criticisms were productive because if nobody had said anything, they would have released it as they showed it. The good thing about this is that in the end everyone benefits from getting a higher quality and more value-added route, even those who didn't complain at all.

I also say that it's good to read other people's opinions about the game but in the end if you don't try it yourself you will never be able to make a good assessment.
    For example, I was really looking forward to Arosa and was very disappointed by the opinions of many people here on the forum who said it was unplayable and broken. Despite that I bought it and I must say I love it, it's one of the best TSW routes in my opinion.
    Many said it was easy to derail, and after hours of climbing and descending it has not happened to me once. So sometimes it's not good to get carried away by negative opinions either.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

Spell check your title. It should be: "Nerds: We Are Our Own Enemies".