Better Manuals, Please.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I know that your plates are already overflowing with requests, but please consider this one as well -- even if it gets placed at the end of the list.
    The manuals for all TSW routes are just plain inadequate. For example, several of the engines now available to us feature operations screens on which a number of functions actually work, but none of the manuals even mention them, much less provide illustrated descriptions of what they do.
    Here and there, a tutorial or a scenario includes sketchy instructions for using cab controls, both manual and electronic, but only in a very superficial manner.
    Again, providing this information is less important than developing new routes, scenarios, sessions, etc.; but this information would, in my opinion, add a lot to understanding, appreciating, and enjoying TSW.

• Like Like x 9
  2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

The problem is that the TSW senior producer apparently believes that most people don't bother reading the manuals and hence there is no point in wasting resources producing more detailed manuals.

It could be argued that a more detailed product such as TSW will attract a more technically interested player base which will want more detailed manuals but that battle has not yet been won. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Better tutorials too.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

And include the signaling guides too, why hide them on a website and not implement them in the manuals?

• Like Like x 5
  5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

We didn't even get a Rapid Transit signal guide, for that matter. And I doubt we will get a NEC signal guide either. Both of those are signal messes and DTG is no help in explaining it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

cActUsjUiCe can help. He has a full article on how to operate correctly.

7. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Whilst guides such as those made by cActUsjUiCe are very useful, we should not have to rely on end-users to create guides for signalling, DTG should make the signalling guides as they are very important for railway operation in Train Sim World. It just shows how rushed Rapid Transit and NEC: New York were with them not even bothering to create signalling guides like those for Great Western Express and CSX Heavy Haul.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

I do agree. They don’t cover all the necessary elements. They only teach you how to get the train to go and stop.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

I just took a look at the TSW Wiki. There doesn't seem to be much there, there (apologies to Gertrude Stein) and it doesn't strike me as worth creating yet another TSW-related user/password combination. Any chance of linking it to this site? If I missed the meat & potatoes, please let me know.

10. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

11. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

From the page which Shukal posted a link to, you can find the pages for the four different routes. At the bottom of each route page, there is a navbox with links to more articles related to that route. Also, there is a thread here about the TSW wiki, this thread is supposed to be about manuals, not the wiki:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-wiki.3969/

12. LastTrainToClarksville

13. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

Thats true. After many hours research I find both RT PZB and NEC ATS/ACSES working very well and hasnt really found any bugs at all (apart from the weird slow speeds through NEC tunnels) If you encounter an emergecy brake you did something wrong. period.
    Some more advaced tutorials and in-depht manuals would really help solve a lot of problems the average player have to wrap their heads around these quite complicated and sophisticated systems.
    Most of us want it to be as close IRL as possible but we also need a fair chance to learn how to operate and understand those systems properly without spending hours trying to find info in most obsure places deep in the www djungle, without any real information what DTG has or hasnt really implemented in the sim.