Mr Whiney Is At It Again.....(sim Uk)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Mar 28, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Here he goes again (sigh).

complains about dtg but cool that tram sim hasn’t supported. Balanced opinions.

Edited by DTG Natster

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

It obviously concerns you so why give him publicity? People will find it anyway without any help.

Quite honestly his opinion is worth exactly what I paid for it.

• Like Like x 17
  3. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I think it’s very telling how on the video he played, Diesel Legends of the Great Western, so he must have bought that?

Didn’t he have a rant about that DLC and DTG in general?! Still bought it though, didn’t he?!

If things were that bad in a game, that I just resorted to making videos constantly making negative criticism, I’d take a look at myself and go, maybe this isn’t the game for me?

As I’ve said before, nothing wrong with criticism and negativity, we’ve seen before that when constructive, it can help make changes and steer content in the right direction.

Targeted, personal, repetitive, and unhelpful criticism which is what these videos consist of, not welcome, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 14
  4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

OK video with some valid points. I see no issue

• Like Like x 10
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There is no alternative in the market. I think I'd like to buy it, but I'm still hesitating.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

Just to allay his fears about the build quality of the Raildriver, here’s a picture of mine. I bought it at Brighton Modelworld in 2007. The surround to the buttons on the front of it came loose recently but otherwise it works fine 3D4894DD-5479-4E07-BA04-B78EBDD13829.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Bought mine in the late 2000s as well, it is still practically as new, decals wore off and I destroyed the low/high horn control. If it survived 12-13 years old me almost unscathed it must be very well built :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Love the title, he is living rent free in your head OP.

Meh video, but it suits a purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he bought it to post his Steam review, which is reasonable enough decision to me.
    Except he doesn't do that, he's only made a few recent videos on TSW, he's been more focused on Flight Simulator recently, which he has been way more positive towards.
    I don't agree, his videos on TSW I think have a few bad points but do contain a lot of decent criticism for it. I can agree they're targeted, and maybe a tad repetitive in his live stream vid, but not personal, and I wouldn't say they're unhelpful.

Also why are you more worked up about it than anyone at DTG? if Matt, who works on the bloody sim, thinks he's alright then I don't see why anyone should be that worked up towards him.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I can assure I’m not worked up, couldn’t care less to be honest.

Just enjoying playing the game, to be honest, does anyone actually play anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

He's quite blunt. But I don't see much malice there :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Just watched his video and I own the RailDriver as well. Couldn't say anything stuck out for me as being 'offensive' at all. Some of his points were spot on, others were just personal taste. He said he will be doing a full review so it would be interesting to see that.

• Like Like x 4
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the issue with the video. Did you even watch it fully because it seems you are overdramatic. He is simply giving his inital thoughts on raildriver. He tested it out on tsw2 and he suggested that since the controls for raildriver are preset and can't be changed in the sim that dtg give players an option to allow players to change the controls to how the player would want them instead of having controls preset and not being able to be changed which honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea so I don't see the issue....

• Like Like x 5
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In Poland, where I live, such a review would be considered very positive and the manner of being charming :D

• Like Like x 5
  15. tallboy7648

Where I come from it would be too. I really don't get why this thread was made since there really isn't a issue with the video.

• Like Like x 3
  16. chieflongshin

Rail driver was all valid. My point was simply around the last 2 mins where he has his usual DTG axe to grind. Rest was fine

• Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

Yeh but the suggestion is not a bad thing. Sure the criticism was probably a bit harsh (I sorta don't think it was 100%) but you would think dtg would allow players to set the controls on the raildriver to their preferred setting. That's not a bad thing to say so in my opinion this whole thread was unnecessary. It seems you were being Mr. Whiney

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. chieflongshin

Well I’ve helped him get views which dependant on his hours watched vs subs has put some cash in his pocket. pits prompted Sunday discussion.
    It’s highlighted the importance of differing opinion.

perhaps some value

• Like Like x 1
  19. tallboy7648

You know he doesn't just do tsw right and that he also has a job?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. The more buzz Raildriver gets the better. Keeps it on the front burner for TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  21. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

If he has an axe to grind, he may have a problem getting to the stone for there are a LOT of us grinding our axes towards DTG for their lack of controller options. The video was fine and the criticism warranted.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I don't really see the issue with that either, I agree with him that I don't see why it's so limited in terms of controller options. Like Sim UK I have a Honeycomb Bravo, why can't I use that natively if I really want to? There's many games, not just flight simulators, that can recognize pretty much any controller you throw at it out of the gate, it's kind of silly that TSW can't do the same.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I does not give me a real warm feeling about rail driver. It confirms my opinion that it looks a lot like a toy. To small and plastic to feel realistic.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

You are not alone. Many disagree with me but from the few times I have used someone else's RailDriver, I was not very impressed. The horn lever is a major weak point that has never been addressed and I found the throttle control in particular to be pretty poor. Having used one pretty much killed whatever interest I had in getting it myself. But, since it is the only real desktop controller for train simulators, I can understand why it has a broad appeal.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  25. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

And for 200 dollars that's a bit staggering. I think they should get back to the drawing board and rework it a bit. Maybe drop the subwoofer (does anyone use it?) and pour more quality into the levers. I've put my hands on some original EMD-control stands and the levers feel so good on those - heavy and smooth. Incredibly satisfying to handle. I think this is something a train controller should get at least a bit close to. At least metal made and proper size. Then I would seriously consider getting such a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

That seems to be a very universal compliant, the few reviews I've seen of the RailDriver always seem to make mention of the horn lever. Jeff Favignano video stands out to me, hardly a critical video on the controller but, even then he makes mention that the horn lever's flimsy.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, Raildriver is actually a pretty hefty piece of equipment. It can be abused and misused, of course, like anything else, but there are plenty of people who purchased it for TS and other sims well over a decade ago and report that it still works just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Indeed there are. The UKTS Northern Team use one at the exhibitions they do and it has stood up well even with enthusiastic youngsters driving on TS20xx. It will be interesting to see it on TSW in the flesh so to speak when the shows resume post lock-down.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

The RailDriver is pretty good for what it is. Flimsy horn lever and all. What we are after is more realism in driving our trains than the keyboard and mouse provides. I have a cheap old flimsy throttle in my closet that I would use in a heartbeat if DTG would only do the right thing. And it would be a heap more realistic than using an Xbox controller! Xbox controller? Now we're talking about a toy.

• Like Like x 2
  30. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Can I assume you’re not aware of the range being produced by ‘TS Controllers’ who sells them through Alan Thomson’s site? They look different league to that Raildriver (which doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest...I think it looks so utterly unrealistic and cheap!) I believe they’re hoping to be able get them to work with TSW as soon as DTG expand controller support. This is the latest addition to the portfolio...

• Like Like x 3
  31. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Interesting

32. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I am aware of them but until they are compatible with TSW I have no interest in buying them. I am watching their development, though.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am not exactly sure why we keep giving this guy a spot light, he seems to me to have a almost negative opinion about everything and anything.

I had no issues with my raildriver in fact found it easy to get out of the box setup was a breeze. The only one thing I will agree with him on, and that is the horn lever. I find it a little on the easy side to break, I have heard some people said that it has broken on them. But I figure as long as I take a gentle approach to using it it should not break.

34. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Not sure what you're all doing with your raildrivers, but i've got three that we used to take all over the country on shows (as many as 26 a year at one point), they're each around 18 years old (obtained when first launched in 2003) and i think only one ever got actually lovingly moved to exhibitions in its box - the other two were manhandled into crates. How many horn levers broken? 1. And given the above treatment, feels like we did well.

They're definitely the weakest bit of the unit but... honestly... if after 18 years, three units, and tons of abuse, only one breaks, they're not *actually* that much of an issue.

:)

Matt.

• Like Like x 14
  35. chieflongshin

I wonder if some people have mapped the pzb acknowledgement to it and snapped it off when doing the pzb dance

• Like Like x 2
  36. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

If I had a PC I'd definitely choose the hardware ATS sell, over RailDriver. Everyone's opinion will differ, some will love RD others will not. ATS hardware looks authentic, Raildriver looks like I could buy it from a toy shop.

37. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It’s a solidly built bit of kit.
    But I do hate the throttle.

38. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Why?

39. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Pricey too imo.

40. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Also it's way more limited than a RailDriver, with that you basically have everything you could want for a train sim on one controller. ATS products are for specific designed for certain locos and situations, they're not one size fits all.

• Like Like x 3
  41. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Really enjoy my Raildriver - it was the best addition for my train sims like TS Classic, Run8 and of course the locomotives that support it in TSW. Gives me much more granular control than keyboard and mouse, it is a well built piece of kit. Highly recommended and looking forward to more support in TSW

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  42. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the vid? Fingernail clippers ;)

I actually enjoy his production value, he doesn't seem paid or bought like some content creators because of a free game key, nor just moaned the whole time waving his hands about frantically yelling from a lawn chair

• Like Like x 4
  43. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I got one of the first ones to play the original Microsoft Train Simulator. I got the RD in either 2002 or 2003 and it has moved across countries (USA to Australia) with me and moved house many times just thrown in a box. Its lasted all this time and I can't say I exactly look after it. They're nice and robust bits of gear. :).

Paul

• Like Like x 4