PlayStation How Is It Preserved Collection Add Ons Use Both Classic & Immersion Controls?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Mar 31, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed when playing Tees Valley and Trans Pennine depending which Scenario / task I’m doing it alternates between the classic and the newer immersion control systems. Surely each add on should be either one or the other for every scenario / task within that map / add on shouldn’t it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

yeah noticed this kind of glitch before sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't

• Like Like x 1
  3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It's not a glitch (that word gets overused a lot). The fact that it switches between both controls is intended behavior, especially for the Preserved Collection routes.
    The reason why it's like this is because the new immersion control setup was made to be used from the start of TSW2 and onwards. You can use immersion controls on Preserved Collection, however the problem is that the scenarios aren't developed with this control setup in mind. This is why you see the warning box everytime you start a preserved scenario.

They don't want there to be an issue where, for example, the game wants you to close the doors on the left. With immersion controls, the player can accomplish this with a left D-Pad input. However, on the classic control setup, left D-Pad cycles between headlights (If I remember correctly?). You can of course control the doors with whatever buttons there are in the cab, however for a new player who might not know this...well, they might not be able to accomplish the task at all. This is just one of the issues with compatibility, which is therefore why they have classic control setups turned on for scenarios.
    This should be the only instance where it switches the controls. If you play on timetable mode only, then it shouldn't switch between control setups. I hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

the reason i said it was a glitch is i have done timetable mode before and had the controls be mixed before so i thought it was glitch

5. shhweeet#4292

I’ve been playing Trans Pennine and Tees Valley via the journey feature in both maps which if I’m right mixes up the scenarios and timetable tasks in random order hence why I’ve been getting the switching between classic and immersion controls. In other words the scenarios are classic control and the time table tasks are immersion. Have I understood that last part correctly?

• Like Like x 2
  6. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much! Scenarios in Preserved Collection will always force the player to the Classic control setup. If you already had it set to that anyways, then you wouldn't need to worry. You can use either Immersion or Classic controls in timetable mode, that's all up to the player to decide. But if you have the immersion set as your default, then it will swap to classic only for scenarios (then it should be able to swap back after the scenario is done, if I'm not mistaken)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's usually the scenarios with the topical names (e.g. "Mucking About In Gravesend") that require the Classic scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shhweeet#4292

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I can’t help thinking dtg should just bite the bullet and make the preserved add on scenarios immersion as well and be done with it. As it stands until things are explained to you it’s just causing confusion, As a brand new player to TSW I do prefer immersion tbh especially the camera function which allows to to fly about like a drone but that’s just MY personal preference.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gittes#8304

gittes#8304 New Member

I fully agree, as a person who first played with the immersion controls in TSW2 I was quite confused when the DLC route had me play with what I then learnt were the classic controls, and I don't necessarily feel like I want to get used to them. Too bad we can't just switch between them as a matter of preference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Costpap

Costpap Member

To be honest, having to do LIRR scenarios with classic controls puts me off, severely. Thankfully, if you spawn in on foot, then it allows you to complete the scenario using the immersion controls, so sometimes, if I really want to do a scenario and know where it is located, I'll just use that.

11. shhweeet#4292

It’s interesting that new to the game players like me seem to prefer immersion to classic so the new immersion control system has to be viewed as a success I suppose. Having said that I have been able to adapt to classic when I’ve had to but it was annoying when having done so the next task switched back to immersion via the journey mode. It was a case of what do I do again? Now I’ve had things explained to me I’ll be ready for it.:)

12. shhweeet#4292

Interesting. Could you explain this to me more? I’m not quite following what you mean.

13. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

There is a little trick, which reading the thread I get the impression that many do not know.
    On a preserved route you can play the scenarios with the immersive control, what you have to do is to have the classic control enabled in the settings before starting that scenario (then you won't get the message that you are going to switch the control to classic mode).
    So, once you start the scenario, you can go to the settings and change the control to immersive mode because now you will have that option enabled.
    This can also be done inversely in the scenarios of the new TSW2 routes for those who prefer to play with classic controls.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The player is (not) confusing scenarios with timetable services. For timetable services, which you can use any controls you like anyway, you can spawn into the world on foot before the service and just climb in and take over the service. You can’t (can) do this on scenarios as they are fully scripted and are the ones that force you to use classic controls. There is no way (except there is) to spawn on foot for a scenario.

EDIT - there is a way - see below....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Costpap

Costpap Member

Around the map, there are blue markers, where if you go near them, they'll say something along the lines of "Press X to start scenario name". If you do that, then the scenario starts with immersion controls enabled and without prompting you to switch to classic, regardless of whether or not you were using immersion or classic controls prior to starting the scenario that way. This also works for tutorials.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Oh, those things. I’d forgotten about those. Useful info! Disregard my previous post everybody.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gittes#8304

gittes#8304 New Member

It works like a charm, just tested it last night, thanks a lot for sharing the trick!