Does The Dovetail Games Name Come From The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IfICanDream, Apr 2, 2021.

1. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

As a Yank and a Beatles fan, I alway thought it was Beatles related (dovetail joint). Is it?

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I very much doubt it. A dovetail joint is more commonly known just as a way of joining two bits of wood than it is as a phrase used in a Beatles song.

It’s highly likely that Rivet Games is called Rivet Games because Dovetail Games is called Dovetail Games though, with their shared history. Probably an in-joke between the companies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IfICanDream

In America I think the Beatles reference is more known. I could be wrong though.

4. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Just ask the Community Manager. DTG Natster or DTG JD Could any of you please answer that question? Where did the name Dovetail Games come from?

5. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt
    Matt has worked longer for DTG then the CM's

6. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the name. But I can tell you there are more holes in Blackburn, Lancashire than they say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Anyone who ever took wood shop in high school knows what a dovetail joint is

8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

There's two influencing factors:

Reason 1:
    When we were looking at a new name, we were in a building called "The Joiners Shop" on the Historic Dockyard - you'll probably already know that a Dovetail joint is a particular joint style used by carpenters.

Reason 2:
    Wanting to expand to more than one simulation, we needed a name that talked to multiple types of product, when more than one idea come together, you can describe that as ideas "dovetailing" together. It also talks nicely about all the people inside and outside the company working together to bring simulations to life.

The "DTG" blue square logo is a clever combination of the letters DTG together, but what always appealed to me about it out of all the logos we looked at when coming up with it, was that this one also looks like a person. DTG is about the person, you, playing the games, role playing the people in the simulations. It's all about people, so for me, having a person in the logo was the icing on the cake.

Those are MY personal interpretations and recollections from when we came up with it anyway, the official corporate response may differ :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 12
  9. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

It's really interesting to know. Thanks Matt for taking the time to explain this to us.

10. IfICanDream

Thank, Matt. I’ll still, however, hold to some Beatles connection. :)