Tatra Electric Railways

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FabkeSK, Apr 3, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, it will be fun

94.9%
  2. No, i will explain below

5.1%
  1. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

1 Introduction
    Hi, my name is Jan and I live in Slovakia. I like to play Train Sim World, but I would like to drive on some Slovak line. I have been thinking for a long time which line to choose to entertain not only me but also you who have never been interested in Slovakia. Finally, I have chosen the network of Tatra electric railways.

2 About route
    Tatra electric railways consists of two lines, namely ZSR 183 and ZSR 184. The first line ZSR 183 runs from Poprad-Tatry to Strbske Pleso. The second line ZSR 184 runs from Stary Smokovec to Tatranska Lomnica.

3 Basic information
    Total length: 35 km (ŽSR 183: 29 km, ŽSR 184: 6 km)
    Gauge: 1 000 mm (narrow-gauge railway)
    Power supply system: 1.5 kV DC
    Maximum slope: 6.5 % (very steep)
    Maximum speed: 60 km/h

4 Map of the network
    Only blue lines are part of this network.
    Green line will be mentioned later.
    [​IMG]
    Source: wikipedia.sk

5 Rolling stock
    Nowadays only unit ZSSK 425.95 provides all the regular operations on this network. However, during special occasions also historic vehicles run on this network.

5.1 ZSSK 425.95
    As mentioned above it is the only unit that provides all the operations on this network. Its maximum speed is 80 km/h what is unattainable due maximum speed on this network is limited to 60 km/h. On picture there are two liveries. The first unit has newer livery while second unit has the older one.
    [​IMG]
    Source: trainspo.com

5.2 CSD 420.95
    These units were used from 1967 to 2003. Then they were replaced by above-mentioned units ZSSK 425.95. Nowadays, there is just one this unit in serviceable condition. It is used during special occasions. Maximum speed of this unit was 50 km/h.
    [​IMG]

5.3 Ganz T.E.V.D
    They were first vehicles used on this network. Later they started to use trailers to boost capacity. They were actively used from 1907 to 1967 and then they were replaced with above-mentioned units CSD 420.95. Nowadays, one vehicle with two trailers is in serviceable condition. She was named Comet. It is used during special occasions as well. Maximum speed of this vehicle was 30 km/h. It may seem slow but in past it was enough.
    [​IMG]

5.4 ZSSK 495.95 (future?)
    ZSSK decided to buy new units due to reconstruction on the line ZSR 182. These new units are primarily focused to run on cog railway, but they can run on network of Tatra electric railways as well. Nowadays, they are just testing them. I was lucky when I managed to take picture one of units right in front of Poprad depot.
    [​IMG]
    Source: me :o

6 Interesting places
    6.1 Station Poprad-Tatry (672 masl)
    The station Poprad-Tatry is the beginning of entire network. An interesting feature is a special side platform built on bridge as shown on picture below.
    [​IMG]
    Source: mapio.net

6.2 Station Stary Smokovec (1 010 masl)
    The picturesque station in Stary Smokovec is a place where two lines of this network meet. (ZSR 183 and ZSR 184)
    [​IMG]
    Source: relaxmagazin.sk

6.3 Station Tatranska Lomnica (850 masl)
    Another picturesque station, Tatranska Lomnica, is eastern end of this network. It is also place where two lines meet, namely ZSR 184 and ZSR 185. The line ZSR 185 is normal gauge railway that runs from Poprad-Tatry to Plavec with branch to Tatranska Lomnica. (dark gray line on map)
    [​IMG]
    Source: planetslovakia.sk

6.4 Station Tatranska Polianka (1 060 masl)
    Reconstructed station in Tatranska Polianka is another picturesque station on this network. I really like how they kept the original design and gave station an old-fashioned look.
    [​IMG]
    Source: teraz.sk

6.5 Station Vysne Hagy (1 125 masl)
    The railway station in Vysne Hagy has unique style and in my opinion, it is just beautiful. Vysne Hagy is also one of the most important spa settlements in High Tatras.
    [​IMG]
    Source: dromedar.zoznam.sk

6.6 Station Strbske Pleso (1 350 masl)
    The station in Strbske Pleso is west end of this network. It is also place where two lines meet, namely ZSR 182 and ZSR 183. Strbske Pleso is an important center of tourism and winter sports. It is also the highest tourist and medical settlement, located in High Tatras.
    [​IMG]

7 Services
    Trains run every one or two hours. It depends on the volume of passengers during the day. To make it clearer, I am giving a reference to the schedule.
    ŽSR 183 Schedule
    ŽSR 184 Schedule

8 Cabview
    Line ŽSR 182/183 in winter

Line ŽSR 183 in summer

Line ŽSR 184

9 Do you think it is too short?
    With a total length of 35 km, it is not the longest network. However, I do not think it will be too short or boring. Why? The maximum speed is only 60 km/h, but the line speed changes often. The driver must be therefore constantly alert. Also, driving time is not short:
    Poprad-Tatry - Strbske Pleso: approx. 1 hour 14 minutes
    Poprad-Tatry - Tatranska Lomnica (via Stary Smokovec): approx. 50 minutes
    Stary Smokovec - Tatranska Lomnica: approx. 16 minutes

10 Additional suggestion
    I was mentioning line ZSR 182 quite frequently and here is the reason. The line ZSR 182 is not part of network of Tatra electric railways but I think it would be nice to have. It is a cog railway that runs from Strba to Strbske Pleso (green line on map). Cog railway is not yet in game and it will be new experience for players. The length of this railway is only 5 km, but it overcomes slope of 15 %. The journey takes 18 minutes and maximum speed is only 17 km/h.

Due to reconstruction work that happens on this railway the parameters may change. Until recently, ZSSK 405.95 units was running on this railway. After reconstruction they will be replaced with brand new units ZSSK 495.95 mentioned above. I am also giving a reference to the schedule: ŽSR 182 Schedule

ZSSK 405.95
    [​IMG]
    Source: trainspo.com

11 Safety Systems
    Vigilance button and radio communication is used to ensure safe operation on this network.

Conclusion
    I have spent several hours of writing and translating this article. I would like to thank you for reading this suggestion. Please comment on what you think about this suggestion. At the end I decided to add picture of High Tatras.
    [​IMG]
    Source: me

Dictionary
    ZSR – manager of railway infrastructure in Slovakia
    ZSSK – national carrier in Slovakia
    CSD – national carrier and manager of railway infrastructure in past in Czechoslovakia
    masl – meters above sea level

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 26
  2. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

This looks... absolutely brilliant! I do like the sound of a small narrow gauge network. Also, the stations you have shown do look fantastic!

This is a definite must for TSW2!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Now this is a very well done suggestion, good job! Not only that, but the route looks very interesting too, very peaceful and relaxing. It seems quite unique and it would definitely improve the variety of TSW.
    Not to mention that Slovakia is a lovely country.
    Exactly, I see way too many people saying: "This would be a great route in TSW because it's my home line!" when they are suggesting some obscure generic (and usually boring) route.

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

going in for it because it will be the first time a rack Railway is added train simulator world while being a metre gauge railway

• Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s a great suggestion. It includes some nice looking trains (and one of the worst looking trains ever - can you guess which one?) and some really nice stations and scenery. The whole network would be a great addition to TSW. I really like the idea of a cog railway to drive.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A really beautiful route I have keen memories of. Definitely would suggest going for a combination of 182, 183 and 184. The combined length is fine and a bit of cog running would be a nice fresh addition.

• Like Like x 1
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Speaking of MIREL it's also used in neighbouring Czech Republic because before 1993 since both used to be part of one country Czechoslovakia therefore making this one should make Dovetail games capable of doing standard gauge railways in the former Czechoslovakia since they also use MIREL Train Safety Systems. Even the DB & MRCE Br182 has a variant capable of using Czechoslovakian train safety systems MIREL LS90 and voltages 3kv DC & 25kv 50hz AC the Rh1216. ZSR 183 & 184 should support meter gauge locomotives from Arosa line in off the rail mode even though voltage's and Train Safety Systems aren't incompatible with each other

• Like Like x 2
  8. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

I assume you mean the new ZSSK 495.95. Many people don't like its design.
    ----
    For everyone to understand how it works with Slovak and Czech railway safety devices, I will try to explain it as simply as possible.

In the former Czechoslovakia, line safety devices called LS were developed. This equipment consists of two parts - track and train. Its task is to ensure the transmission of the signal from the signals to the driver's cab and to control the driver's vigilance. However, the track section is not installed on every line. This means that signal transmission is not possible. The track part was primarily mounted on the main lines.

After the division of Czechoslovakia, we improved this system in Slovakia. The new system can calculate braking curves, which has contributed to increased safety. This system is called MIREL VZ1. (VZ means Vlakový Zabezpečovač, eng: Train Safety System). Among other things, we also replaced the old METRA tachographs with new MIREL RM1. (RM means tachograph).

This security device is not installed on the Tatra electric railway network. ZSSK 425.95 units do not even have MIREL. Instead, they use the METRA tachograph and the vigilance button.

MIREL RM1 + VZ1 (they works as combination)
    [​IMG]
    Source: k-report.net

Tachograph METRA (used in CZ and still in ZSSK 425.95)
    [​IMG]
    Source: elektroprumysl.cz

Signal Repeater LS 90 (still used in Czech Republic)
    [​IMG]
    Source: wikipedia.org

• Like Like x 1
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

No, that looks fine. I’m talking about this LEGO monstrosity...
    I’m sure it would be great to drive in the game but it’s not a good looking train.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

I think it's a matter of habit. At first I didn't like its design either, but after a while I got used to it. (this applies to both 425.95 and 495.95).

I want to thank everyone. I did not expect such interest in this network. I added another cabview that shows the line in the summer. Feel free to ask if you would like more information about this network. If I know, I will answer. I hope that one day this network will get into the TSW2. I believe that it will be an amazing experience for everyone.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

On the plus side if you're driving it you wouldn't have to look at it.

I don't have TSW2 so I'm not going to vote but I do think this would make a good DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

YES! My last trip pre-pandemic was to Poprad and the TEŻ, it's a lovely line. I think the current EMUs actually look cool, if totally out of place in the mountains, but in any case once you're inside the train the outside looks stunning. I'd be very excited to see this in a sim.

• Like Like x 2
  13. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

This is a very nice suggestion, I love it.
    It would add a new country AND cog railway.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

I polished the translation and added a bit of information.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Bittersweet because this would really be great, like the Swiss mountain rail but in a totally new location. But it probably won't happen. Times like this I think I should try and set up an Eastern European dlc developer, ha.

• Like Like x 2
  16. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. annadess

annadess Member

This looks amazing! I think it would be a really good idea, the Tatra Mountains are a beautiful area I ought to visit some day, (and ride this line too of course) I already heard a lot of good experiences from old colleagues who were hiking there.
    And I'm glad Rivet Games noticed it on their forum and gave it a positive response, I'd imagine they would be more experienced at making mountainous terrain like on Arosaline by now, hopefully they'll give it a try.

• Like Like x 3