Cross County North: Doncaster- Cleethorpes And Barton Upon Humber

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HamioSamio098, Apr 4, 2021.

1. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

Good morning!

So, for the first proposal of the day, we shall be taking a look at a section of the Transpennine Express route between Cleethorpes and Manchester Airport. This section being , as the title says, Cleethorpes to Doncaster. Oh, and the Barton Upon Humber line shall be thrown in there as well because, why not?

The Line
    This 63.87 mile line covers the section between Cleethorpes and Doncaster as well as the Barton upon Humber branch line. Cleethorpes to Doncaster is mostly double track, with a single track section from Cleethorpes to Grimsby. However, the Barton upon Humber branch line is double tracked until just before New Holland station, where it then runs single tracked to Barton.

Stations
    Major stations are marked in Bold.

Cleethorpes-Doncaster
    Cleethorpes
    New Clee (Request stop)
    Grimsby Docks
    Grimsby Town
    Great Coates
    Healing
    Stallingborough
    Haborough
    Barnetby
    Scunthorpe

Althorpe
    Crowle
    Thorne South
    Hatfield & Stainforth
    Kirk Sandall
    Doncaster

Barton Upon Humber line
    Haborough
    Ulceby
    Thornton Abbey
    Goxhill
    New Holland
    Barrow Haven
    Barton Upon Humber

Operators and Rolling Stock
    Three operators will be featured, these being: Transpennine Express, Northern and East Midlands Railway.
    Three trains will also be included, these being: Class 185 and Class 153 and Class 142
    The Class 66 can be layered in for freight to Scunthorpe Steelworks and Immingham Docks

Services
    TPE
    Cleethorpes-Manchester Airport: Limited stops with 1tph [operated by Class 185] {ends at Doncaster}

Northern
    Sheffield-Scunthorpe: All stops with 1tph [operated by Class 142] {starts at Doncaster}
    Cleethorpes-Barton Upon Humber: All stops with 1tp2h [operated by Class 153]

EMR
    Grimsby Town-Newark Northgate: 1tp2h [operated by Class 153] {ends at Barnetby} (2 trains a day, 1 morning and 1 evening, are extended to Cleethorpes)

Pictures
    [​IMG]Cleethorpes

[​IMG] Grimsby Town

[​IMG] Scunthorpe

[​IMG] Doncaster

[​IMG] Class 185

[​IMG] Class 142

[​IMG]

Final Words
    This route would make a fine addition to TSW2, with some nice trains, stations and scenery . Also, the track around Scunthorpe Steelworks and Immingham could be added in for use, Scunthorpe feeling like its own rail network!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Now this is a route I could get behind and it's one I'd like to see.
    I frequently travelled the route between Scunthorpe and Grimsby/Cleethorpes as a toddler with my dad and then later (2001-2005) between Doncaster and Scunthorpe visiting family.
    It definitely should include the docks and refineries at Immingham, the docks at Grimsby and the steelworks at Scunthorpe for added freight services.

• Like Like x 4
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great modern British route to me! Also the distance of ~63 miles is very possible, just slightly longer than Clinchfield. I like the sound of this. Plus Transpennine (albeit not my local operator) is by far my favourite, also got to have a pacer. Absoluetly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Also, having now has a further look into the timetable as well, this looks very much so like it has variety in service, and great selection of rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

GrandMoffLucaPaguro Active Member

This would make an extremely good, extremely busy line, certainly fun.

6. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I think this line would be better suited as a freight route (and set back 20 years to take advantage of the semaphores, signal boxes immingham depot and much more freight!) it could include the vast immingham docks, bulk terminal and refineries. Freight could come in the form of tankers out of Lindsey, Humber and Immingham, coal to Scunthorpe CHP and iron ore to Santon locos could be class 56s and class 60s

instead of the Barton branch the freight line to Roxby with Tioxide and steel trains (layers could be added from TVL for the steel wagons and HEAs and the 37s, 31s, 20s and 08

just a thought