Salt Lake City Bound!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Apr 10, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Written by: Gary Dolzall.
    Coming soon: An extension of the Train Simulator Soldier Summit route – and an Electro-Motive GP40-2!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 3
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Enough extensions! We're sick of them! Just make a new route that nobody has seen before. There are tons of opportunities for new routes out there. All these extensions do is make people have to pay all over again for a route they already own and cause crashes and severe lag for people on low and medium range computers. This definitely isn't getting any of my money. I'm perfectly fine with the Soldier Summit route I already have.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the addition of the GP40-2's

• Like Like x 3
  4. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

This is definitely a well-needed route extension since the first version of Soldier Summit should've gone to Salt Lake City in the first place in order to have the complete Solider Summit subdivision. Now it's coming true as a route extension! Thanks Dovetail Games! I've traveled the full Solider Summit in real life on the California Zephyr and it's awesome!

For the EMD GP40s, will the CSX versions of them have working in-cab signaling for New York to New Haven? They would be useful for that route since they run there in real life. But if they don't have the working in-cab signaling for New York to New Haven, then we can still use them for Miami to West Palm Beach.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  5. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

cool. i have question will you think about making little update to solider summit. one asset doesn't glow and that the streetlight 2. but the others have glow feature 20180410104150_1.jpg 20180410104203_1.jpg

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I need this!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CPScotty8950

CPScotty8950 Member

its should have ran salt lake city - helper and this extension should be the green river sub with the savage coal loadout

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I'm definitely getting this! I can't wait for the GP40-2's! They're coming in D&RGW, WP, UP, CSX YN3, and NS! This is the first CSX four-axle unit since the Genset! And DTG's first NS unit since the LHF SD40-2 and GP38-2!

Although, I wonder what liveries the freight cars will come in?

Also, if you already own the original Soldier Summit route, will you get a discount on this?

• Like Like x 2
  9. thegevo5k

thegevo5k Member

The route sounds good, but I'm mainly concerned about performance. Will the GP40-2 come in one livery (D&RGW) and have the other 4 as Marketplace Add-Ons?

10. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

To John Murphy,
    Well aren't you a Salty Sammy? Calm down; it's not like we've got an overabundance of extensions on the market right now. Off the top of my head there will only be 3 route extensions total once this is finished, all of which were sorely needed as the routes they added on to were lacking some life. Personally I wouldn't mind if they did an extension to the S&D from Templecombe to Bournemouth and from Evercreech to Burnham-on-Sea (yes I know it already exists in the workshop, but it's got its own problems - trust me, been over it with a fine-toothed comb). The entirety of D&RGW's 6th division will be operational now and there will be more to do and see. How exciting is that? Personally I thought the route felt a bit short and bland with only 2 towns to service. The only thing that made it feel long was the climb out of Helper up to the Summit, which felt kinda cheap in my opinion and is one of the reasons I've neglected Soldier Summit for a while now. Now we can actually GO somewhere. Now we can get some real variety in operations not only with the route to Salt Lake but also with the expansion of the Geneva Works and Bingham yards to serve a branch, which gives the route more replay value since it's not just about dragging coal or moving a heavy manifest from Helper to Provo anymore (which was more than likely going to terminate in Salt Lake anyway), thus making a good return on an investment. We can actually replicate symbol freights originating and terminating at Salt Lake now! I'm good for it money-wise, and the addition of the GP40 is also going to be a welcome addition as those engines in particular were the D&RGW's main fast-freight locomotives, which means now we can actually replicate true-to-life D&RGW TOFC trains.

What if DTG eventually decides to do another extension to the route that would brings the Utah Railway to TS2018? That would make the route truly perfect then as the Utah Railway is another key player down in Soldier Summit and then we'd get the ENTIRE scope of operations over the line. I'd pay to see that as well. Would you still complain about that?

I've been around the block for a long time now, and time and time again I've seen fans say something like "We want this" or "We're tired of this" thinking that they alone represent the voice of reason for the community. As you can see by literally every other post in this thread and the solitary 2 upvotes versus the 3 downvotes for your comment is seems the majority of the community represented here on this forum does not agree with you. The members of this community have their own voices - let them speak for themselves, don't try and speak for them. You're free to buy what you want, but I for one will buy this and support it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  11. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

Question: one of the depots in Salt Lake is not that far away from Temple Square (I don't think it is anyway). Will we be able to see it?

12. Daniel Gibbs

While I do like the extensions, I do agree with you that we need more routes. I would love to see the CSX Sand Patch Grade! Either in today's era or the B&O era!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

There is a freeware Sandpatch route for TS.

14. John Murphy

Wow, all that really? Either you're paid to do this or you have a lot of time on your hands.

I still stand by my decision and my post and I don't care about upvotes or downvotes. I think DTG should lay off the extensions and make some new content that we've never seen before. Maybe some different time periods. I know somebody on here posted a proposal about Kansas City in the 50s. Or maybe more Japanese routes, or the Amtrak Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin route, or the Amtrak Cascades route, or the ex-Santa Fe mainline through states like Missouri and Kansas, where freight trains run at high speeds, or the NEC in Rhode Island and Massachusetts where the Acela runs at 150 mph, TGV routes, the Dutch high speed line between Antwerp and Amsterdam, the Oslo-Bergen line (not all of it though because it's really long), the Strasburg Railroad, the NJT Atlantic City Line, the Long Island Railroad (NOT as an extension of NY-NH), the Metro North Hudson Line, the Staten Island Railway (aka the Isle of Wight's American cousin), the C2C routes out of London Fenchurch Street, the Chiltern Main Line, some routes from Australia or New Zealand, Eastern Canada around Toronto and Montreal, and these are just off the top of my head.

To make a long story short, I understand licensing gets in the way, but I think there are still much better things that DTG could be doing than making extensions to already existing routes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

There is a Steam Workshop route for New Haven to Boston made by cActUsjUiCe

• Like Like x 1
  16. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Complete in the technical sense but not in terms of decoration. The editor constantly crashing put an end to my route development efforts in TS2018

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Didn’t other people take over?

18. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Meh, in a limited capacity. A couple members of my group decorated a little more.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

And you're free to stand by that decision. It's you're copy of the game, do what you want with it. I still stand by my decision to buy the extension.

I am NOT paid to say anything on this forum. You, sir, are out of line with that comment. Just because I happen to appreciate what DTG is trying to do here doesn't mean I've been paid to disagree with you. Where do you even get off with that? Don't just go flinging around accusations like that - someone might just get offended. I could just as easily accuse you of being an internet troll based on your logic (I won't though). If you really want to know what I do I'm a student at SIUE going for masters degree in cello performance who is also working as a grad assistant, and yes I spend WAY too much time with this hobby. Deal with it :p And think about it: if I really was paid by DTG to respond to your post like that do you really think I'd have been allowed to call you a "Salty Sammy"? Short answer: no.

I do agree that more new routes would be welcomed. They always will be. I'd prefer it if newer routes were a bit l o n g e r though, I'm talking like 100-150+ miles like what's done with Donner Pass or Marias Pass simply because there's more to do and see. Take for example the Chicago-Aurora route. It's like 30 mainline miles or something like that, its highlight being all the Metra stations and it's Chicago. Yeah I get it that it's busy with lots of passenger and freight trains every day, but...there's not much else to it. Nowhere to stretch my legs. I'm more of a freight hauler myself, so I personally wouldn't go for a lot of high speed passenger or commuter routes. A route like Raton Pass or the old Tennessee Pass would be great, or Norfolk Southern's route from Atlanta to Chattanooga, CSX's route through the New River Gorge (or maybe even back in the C&O when Allegheny 2-6-6-6s roamed the rails), or even the ATSF-era Seligman Sub (and as far as licensing goes just do what GNTX has done with both the Aurora and Cold Creek Narrow Gauge routes: leave the trademark off and replace it with something else). Heck, I'd even go for the Cumbres & Toltec from back in the 50s before D&RGW ended its narrow gauge operations.

That being said, if DTG or any other company decides to make an extension of a route I personally thought was too short or ended in what I thought was the wrong place then of course I'll go buy it instead of turning up my nose at it! If, for example, GNTX were to extend the Stevens Pass route so that it goes all the way to Seattle (like it's supposed to) you can bet I'd be first in line to go get it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. thegevo5k

thegevo5k Member

Keep in mind that the time those routes were made was when dense scenery really wasn't an option.

GNTX said they're done with Stevens, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Like Like x 1
  21. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

Yeah, I know. It was just an example. Still nice to think about what could have been...
    And yes before anybody asks I know about EYEIN12's Seattle sub route.

• Like Like x 1
  22. CPScotty8950

CPScotty8950 Member

theres still its and bit in utah to cover even in the salt lke city to provo area such the utah front runner , utah railways yard and once a week local to martin utah , as of the 1st january IPPX (intermountain power) coal trains went from utah railway to union pacific but we could still be doing with utah railway incredible power that they've used such as MK50-3 SD50-3 Alco's ,as well SP and UP power used from SD9043MAC's , AC6044CW's AC4400CW'S i believe dash 9-44CW's very briefly used. as I said theres the Green river sub helper to grand junction with the sunnyside branch upto the ECDC Landfill . crane creek branch (32 miles long) and the savage coal load out

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  23. John Murphy

Raton Pass would be a great route, but I would do it back in the Santa Fe days when there was more traffic. I'm pretty sure BNSF doesn't run that many trains through there, if they run any at all. I know the only major service through there nowadays is Amtrak. As you'd probably guess, I wouldn't buy it as an extension, but it would be interesting to see the BNSF Racetrack route with a bit more freight trackage on the end of it. That's one thing I don't like about TSW, is that all the routes are too short. I mean limitations get in the way, but Newark to New Rochelle, really?

Also, yes I can see DTG paying people or using bot accounts to defend against any negative feedback and give them good reviews. That way people will see all the good reviews first and buy their content, not seeing the honest reviews (good or bad) that were left by regular people who actually bought and played the route. Basically they're trying to cover up any criticism they don't like that would possibly turn people away from their content, instead of taking the time to fix the problems like any other developer would. I don't care if you're DTG's biggest fan, but I personally think they're a very shady company and I wouldn't put it past them to do stuff like that. It just sucks that they dominate the train sim market right now. I know I'm definitely buying Trainz as soon as it goes on sale again.

24. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

Now I see where you're coming from. Rest assured, I'm no bot, I'm not paid. I'm just glad to see what I perceive to be an improvement of an otherwise "blah" route.

Yeah, Raton would need to be ATSF to get the best use out of it. If I recall correctly BNSF runs maybe 1 manifest a day over Raton (don't quote me, it's been a few years since I last checked), the only other train climbing the pass regularly being the Southwest Chief. And I've noticed the short route trend in TSW; that's honestly one of the reasons I haven't bought it yet. I thought switching to UE4 was supposed to expand the possibilities of train simulator? I'm convinced it hasn't really "flexed" its muscles yet.

At the risk of sounding like a paid promoter, however, I'll withhold my opinion about Trainz (although I've only played the pre-TANE version; maybe it's improved since TANE was released a few years back).

25. Daniel Gibbs

Even if they don't have cab signals, you could still run them on the NY-NH route. But if they do have cab signals, they should add a feature to disable it when working another route.

• Like Like x 1
  26. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Everything that has cab signals already has a feature to disable them so if they did so with the GP40...which I wouldn’t expect...that wouldn’t be a problem.

27. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I presume this "Extention" won't be an add-on but will, once again create another almost identical copy of something people might already have?

Peter

28. John Murphy

Pretty much, just with more track on one end. And of course you'll have to pay for it all over again. They might only take a few bucks off the full price for people who own the original Soldier Summit route, but not enough to make it worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  29. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Forgot to mention in my last post here. For the Norfolk Southern versions of the EMD GP40s, please have working in-cab signaling in them for the North Jersey Coast & Morristown Lines so we can have a freight diesel for that route besides the CSX EMD SD40-2s from New York to New Haven with working cab signaling. I prefer to have working in-cab signaling when I play scenarios on the modern Northeastern American urban routes because I like to have as much realism and urgency as possible.

Also, for the Salt Lake City extension version of Soldier Summit, please fix the glitch the Amtrak SuperLiner cars Dovetail Games. The passengers in them in the Provo-to-Helper Soldier Summit and the Amtrak Genesis Empire Builder DLC only appear in the passenger interior views, not the external views, which I find to be annoying.

Soldier Summit in Train Simulator 2018 (both the short version and this new version to Salt Lake City) is set in the 1980s when the Denver & Rio Grande still existed and when Front Runner didn't exist yet. That explains why there's no Front Runner content included in the route.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Daniel Gibbs

All except for the P42DC. You can't disable the Alerter on it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Noah Chappell

Noah Chappell New Member

Hopefully later on as a addon you with add the CSX GP40-2 with Road Slug (GP30 Body & GP35 body) along with CSX GP40-3 CSX GP38-2 CSX GP38-3 and some NS Rebuilds.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Daniel Gibbs

I also hope that the CSX and NS versions will have flashing ditch lights like the prototypes. If not, ah well.

I know though, that it is said that the mentioned freight cars are coming in appropriate liveries, but does that mean different railroad liveries?

• Like Like x 2
  33. Daniel Gibbs

It's been a month since this was first announced. Does it usually take this long before the next update is announced?

• Like Like x 1