The Big Problem With Ap Trains...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 26, 2021.

1. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

Try to disable the antivirus before trying to install it, maybe the antivirus blocks it. It happened to me sometime with an installer

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I installed several other AP products purchased at the same time without any issues whatsoever...

3. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

It is quite strange since AP installers usually work fine. The answer of the AP service will surely solve it for you

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Unless you specifiy othewise, Temp files default to C

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The temp location may not be the same as the final destination you are extracting to. Check the space available on C:

7. ntypeman

Pooky (or pH)...

C:\ is nearly full... what's the best way to delete files... I'm not sure what's needed & what's not needed...

Eric

8. inversnecky

First of all delete any temporary files, move off any large documents or files (you can search for file size over X in Windows), uninstall unused programs.

Do you have AP stuff installed? Have you checked the folder they stick copies of installation files? (I had 30GB there to delete).

9. ntypeman

Cheers Inver...

Don't mean to sound like a duffer but what's the definition of a temporary file???

Eric

10. Pookeyhead

First point of call: Open "This PC", and right click on your C: Drive. Select Properties. AT the bottom of the wiondow that pops up, you'll see "Disk Clean-up". Click that and the following window will appear.
    Screenshot 2021-04-05 20.28.58.png
    Tick everything... then click OK. When asked if you want to delete these files, confirm that you do.

Secondly, check you have no install files from AP installs left on your drive.

Go to: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations and delete anything in there. See how much that has freed up and let me know. I'll check back later.

Be aware that "AppData" is a hidden folder, so if you do not see it, then you need to show hidden folders: Click "View" from the menu of ANY window, and select "Options" top right.
    Screenshot 2021-04-05 20.37.18.png

From the view tab, select "Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives"

Screenshot 2021-04-05 20.38.19.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  11. inversnecky

I need to get that location tattooed somewhere as I can never remember where it is. Must create a shortcut to it, next time I'm on the PC!

12. ntypeman

Cheers Inver / Pooky...

I've done everything that you said... it now says I have 7.82Gb free of 117Gb... My D:\ says 563Gb free of 911Gb...

Eric

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I have been "installing" the AP extra stock packs I have picked up. Been doing it to dummy folders, so I can review what's in them before moving them to my install and thus purge things that no longer exist. One could in theory do this with the payware packs too, but since they typically don't have anything to purge, they can instead instaill directly. In any case, I have not seen this issue yet but I know it's temporary files.

And yeah, I finally broke down and bought about half the catalog. That's another AP problem, you can't buy one item and be able to play something, you often need a few (an exception is the 142, the only requirement for a few packs). By the time I counted the most used items in my UKTS research, I had a few in double digits that were requirements, and basically got anything 5 and over. Plus a couple other items. The 43 MTU is easily the most used item, and I counted 30 scenario packs calling for it. Yowzers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. inversnecky

It’s exactly these that do create GB of backup files in Downloaded Installations - look at the folder mentioned above and you might get a shock at how many GB are in there: all can be deleted.

15. Cyclone

So it's exclusive to the payware installers. I'd say Richard needs to edit his installers so that it cleans up those files afterwards.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You only need to buy the extra packs IF you wish to drive the scenarios that come with the DLC

People see the words Scenario Requirements and go in to a flap because they need this, this and that
    Instead of reading the next lines

Please note that these items are only required if you would like to use the scenarios included in this pack. If you would only like to use the locomotive in Quick Drive, or your own scenarios instead of the included ones, then these items are not required.

17. Pookeyhead

The Big Problem with AP trains... is they don't do a 87, or a 47... or any 1st gen DMUs (Thumper excluded).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pookeyhead

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Class 87 is coming from Waggonz and I think they will work with AP for the sounds and distribution and the Class 101/117 Dmu sound pack is quite good . For older stuff - if it is not preserved do you just rely on pictures and hope it is right?

20. inversnecky

Or a 26, 81, 82, 83, 84... :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not to mention 302,304,305,306,307,308,309,310,311,312,
    Or 22,28,29,44,46,71,74

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pookeyhead

Yeah.. I have it. It is. The actual models need dragging into this decade though.
    Yeah... It's been quite a while though, and then I saw that post about them losing all their data etc... I'm not holding my breath.
    There are lots of preserved 1st gen DMUs to chose from... including my favourite - the 104 :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

They did change their Facebook header a week or so back which if they had given up seems strange
    https://www.facebook.com/Waggonz

24. Pookeyhead

Yeah, I saw that. Looks stunning. I wasn't suggesting they'd given up... just obviously a set back. I just don't think it's a case of "any day soon" or anything.

25. Cyclone

To be clear, I am NOT talking about the scenarios that come with the packs. I'm old enough to know how to read the fine print, and not old enough to be senile (yet). I'm talking about the fact that every scenario at ATS I have found, save maybe a couple (and ironically, one is subware), require some kind of additional train that I did not acquire.

Thank goodness the UKTS stuff will keep me busy for a while once I first play those routes prior to those packs. I also got some older content, so maybe I need to find older ATS scenarios, before another 5 or 6 trains arrived. When was ATS founded?

And yes, I know I can swap trains, but when the 156 is featured and you realize you did not buy that one but have everything else, you really question your life choices.

26. ntypeman

Pooky / All...

Finally sorted & installed... I followed the above advice (which I ultimately ended up with 11Gb freed up), then the "Faults & Failures guide" [FAQ] on the AP website (making sure I had at least 10Gb free, un-checking a "read only" option & running it as an administrator... Bit of a faff but got there in the end...

Kudos to everyone who's offered their advice...:D

Eric

• Like Like x 2
  27. Pookeyhead

A great way to see what's taking up your space, is TreeSize Free.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Run it as administrator, and it will even show hidden system files that are usually hidden, such as page files and temporary system cache files etc. It shows the drive contents both as a directory tree, or as as a diagram... or both.
    Screenshot 2021-04-07 07.00.34.png

Hopefully you'll be able to track down more wasted space.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. Cyclone

I love how the image shows potentially pirated episodes of The Big Bang Theory. :D

29. ntypeman

Pooky could be using his PC to record TV programmes, so not necessarily pirated...

30. Cyclone

Fair enough, I was only joking in any case.

31. Pookeyhead

Since when has it been illegal to record TV programmes? LOL. That's my Network Drive V: which is my home theatre NAS, which connects via ethernet to my set top box recorder.

32. inversnecky

I used to use a PC recorder for TV programmes too - just a more modern version of a VCR.

33. Pookeyhead

Exactly. It's a good job I never screen grabbed my Torrents folder then.... LOL

[that was a joke before anyone lectures me - As a creative professional, I can assure you I take intellectual rights and copyright very seriously]

34. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think it's "quasi-legal" to make a copy of the transmission, but most companies won't sue you unless you rebroadcast or distribute those copies.
    Certainly most privacy notices at the beginning of videos, DVD and blu-rays I have all say that copying, distributing etc is illegal. Not copying is listed there.
    From what little I have just read, the UK and US employ systems that allow for recording of broadcast material for the sole purpose of watching or listening to the media at a later time or date", but the duration of "legal keeping" is not defined in either country. Ie you can copy such broadcasts to a personal media, watch (or rewatch) to your heart's content so long as it's only you and you're not making any money from the storage, watching or broadcast of it (so no getting your mates round and charging them for the privilege)

35. Pookeyhead

Exactly.

36. Cyclone

Darnit! No charging to view the Anime Collection. :o

• Like Like x 1
  37. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The thing I've found with AP is that most of their locos aren't external controller compatible (raildriver, xbox etc) which is a bit off putting for someone who uses a controller like I do for accessibility reasons.
    I recently bought MML from JT and I was interested in a few of the AP packs for reskins of locos I have (170, 158 etc) but as I can't use a controller, there's no point in me buying them to drive, even if I want them for other routes.

38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe most of them are compatible for most functions, but the raildriver lacks a lot of the functions of the AP locos such as an OFF position for the reverser. I have driven loads of AP stock using the RD but that's "at my risk", ie if it doesn't work I can't go to either AP or RD for support

39. rickyt7808

rickyt7808 Member

There is also the 'Raildriver & Joystick Interface' sofware produced by CobraOne on the UKTS Forums. This software can be tailored to individual loco/dmus/emus and doesn't have the limitations of the Macroworks software.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Cyclone

Are you talking about the various controllers that resemble a train driving panel? Because the "joysticks" I know of are the kind from Xbox, Switch, etc.

41. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Those would be joypads (Xbox, PS or similar generic PC controllers) or joycons (switch).
    Joysticks are sticks like for the Amiga, Atari etc or for some flight games.

Anyway, I have a couple of Q's about AP stuff.
    Firstly, do they have sales?
    Secondly, how easy/difficult would it be for a novice like me to swap out default locos in scenarios for the AP ones?

42. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

You just missed their Easter sale, but to be frank, if you have the pennies, everything they sell is worth buying at full price anyways.

TStools is pretty simple to use and you could have stock swapped out in no time at all.

43. inversnecky

I'm a novice with it too - although it looks complicated, if you just do exactly what you need to to swap out a loco/train, it's not too hard. Once you've done it a few times, it's pretty quick and easy.

This is the fiddly way to do it, a nightmare:

There's also a good guide to TS Tools on Steam - will have to look out the link and edit in later, or someone else might have it to hand?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  44. Cyclone

Here's another one.

I know that one guide - not sure offhand if it's this one - shows loading into the editor and having a unique error, but this is a step that should be done on swap scenarios anyway just in case of that particular error. You can OK it, it reloads, and you can save, and everything should be fine then with the swapped scenario. There is no guarantee that your new train will meet the exact same timetable the exact same way, as it may be faster or slower, so you may need to edit timetable expectations and AI traffic if it it slower in particular. Or possibly add a longer delay to a stop if it's faster so you don't have problems with AI traffic signaling.

45. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a couple of AP locos.
    I got lucky with one of them as when I added it to the basket, it applied a discount as I had another version in my basket too (the 158/159 Perkins and Cummins).

I also got the 175 as it included reskins and the sound pack is needed for the fuller sims South NTP route (Sheffield - Cleethorpes).

At some point I will add the class 43 HST packs to my collection along with the weather and track pack.

46. Cyclone

The Class 43, in my research, in its MTU form is the most-used loco in the entire collection. There are very few VP185, but they appear here and there. Valenta is somewhere in the middle.

47. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

New site/app for AP scenarios, 99p a pop. https://www.trainsimscenarios.com/

It's a cool app.

WHAT DOES POWERHOUSE FEATURE?
    - Ability to filter our scenario catalogue by Train, Livery, Route, Year, Weather, Season, Duration & Difficulty

- When viewing the scenario catalogue, Powerhouse scans your Train Simulator folder and instantly tells you whether you have all of the requirements to use a scenario. If you are missing requirements, the number of requirements missing will be displayed as part of the search results. Clicking on the scenario will tell you exactly which requirements are missing.

- In-app payment via PayPal.

- One-click downloads. No .exe or .rwp installers.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  48. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

49. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Nick Y, be careful if you see recommendations like this. What we consider good varies from person to person.

I have bought some AP products on sale that I consider not even worth their sale price and now don't use them. In particular I don't like their wagon sound packs which I consider too quiet.

Their £25 loco packs are good, but not good enough for me to pay full price, and £30 for an EMU? Forget it, that is not going to happen.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  50. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

The amount of effort that goes into creating high quality models for such a niche software sector, the prices are ridiculously cheap as they stand.

Indie dev houses disappear overnight, so let's support them where we can.

Or, we can choose to ignore them, call out their prices and watch these talented guys move onto making software for financial services firms where the money is.

Got to support what you love - and be smart enough to recognise the amount of work put into it.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 8