Topic Posted A Bit Late?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob Jansen, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

I notice that the Railfan TV topic schedules are posted sometimes a bit late.

This time, it was posted on the final day, with only a TSW2 stream remaining, is it an scheduled post, then the post time should be adjusted or if it is manually posted, maybe post it before the streams begin?

Seems a bit pointless that it has been posted now:

Railfan Tv Schedule 6th April – 8th April | Dovetail Games Forums

2. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

It's long been a gripe of mine and some others that the official forums are generally the last place to have details of the streams posted.

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Strangest thing is the schedulw was posted on Tuesday (usually a Monday but it was a bank holiday) in the TSW forums.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Why is that strange? Do you remember when DTG Proctologist (or whatever that guys name was) first came here as "Community Manager" "I'll do this I'll do that blah blah" then hardly ever posted here again, yet posts frequently in the TSW forums, some people just can't handle the heat of this particular kitchen I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clumsy Pacer

Well Sam's now left his role and idk about where you are but tv stations here tend not to advertise programmes that've already aired (and for the purposes of the streams, DTG is being a tv station, albeit online only with viewing figures BBC4 can only dream of).

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You certainly get the feeling TSW is getting far more publicity and attention given to it from DTG, yet for TS1 the third party situation both freeware and payware has never been seen to be in such rude health. There have been a few DTG releases recently which has been good to see.

I have both, but barely use TSW at the moment. Yes it does look very realistic and I do think service mode is a boon and I like being able to wander round the virtual world, or what bits of it DTG allow us to but it keeps my attentions for five minutes, where as I find I can't spend enough time on TS1. There is so much variety to be had, understandably, but you can create so much more realistic operations where as with TSW you are hamstrung by what DTG allow. TSW's scenario planner is quite frankly fairly useless compared to the TS1 one, which can be recalcitrant at times but at least you can choose your own paths and create your own consists.

I do think for a serious enthusiast of whatever period and area, TS1 is the better sim, at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clumsy Pacer

Thing is, TSW is much more marketable to new players, because it's not only much newer and can look much better (although there are times TSW looks like a cheap knock-off) but they've made it try to appeal to those who otherwise may not be interested (collectibles).

I think DTG want to not develop TS1 any more, just publish 3rd party stuff - the TS1 team has been reduced massively since TSW came out. Plus, they can't really do much of anything to the base game because it's almost guaranteed to break something.

I think to call it "fairly useless" is an understatement. Last time I tried to use it I left with 3 words in my head: "Confusing", "Unusable" and I'd be thoroughly told off for saying the the third one but you can probably guess what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You missed my point by a country mile.. I said "why is that strange" because DTG and it's employed minions have consistently and repeatedly proven that they don't give a flying ..... about the TS20xx community, they care greatly about the revenue it brings in of course but us... Not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The console market is big.

10. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

In comparison to the TSW PC sales, but TS still gives it a run for its money.

The issue in my opinion is that the TSW model they have adopted puts the majority of the money in DTG's pocket whereas I would estimate the majority of money spent on TS goes to anyone but DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

Yes that is true and I understand the financial reasons for pushing the product on consoles. However I do feel TSW is a little dumb downed certainly in terms of the audience it may be pitched too, I know they have improved physics etc but in terms of being able to modify it, it falls down and I think that TS1 may well attract the more hands on and maybe serious enthusiasts. TSW, I feel doesn't offer that, not just due to its infancy and lack of content.

I wonder which direction DTG want to go in, if they do ditch TS1 eventually there are clearly plenty of enthusiasts who will keep it alive.

12. Pookeyhead

Which is they they seem to treat it like the deformed cousin they keep in the basement.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Which is why they hired someone to specifically look after the TS1 community, and are still making DLC and have recently done optimisation work to try to nerf loading times...

14. SJA

SJA Active Member

It is, especially if you're like me, and one day you're enjoying more modern scenarios on modern routes, but then you see a YT vid depicting latter day BR with smokey old 47s and 50s padded out by 101s or 117s and decide to go and set up something similar.

Backdated versions of some routes and weathered liveries bring that enjoyable freedom compared to shiny photogenic perfection and limited operational scope in TSW. Plus you can often recreate multiple sections/segments of classic services like the "Sussex Scot" in TS1, which I'm sure I've done in the past (albeit heavily diverted) :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

You know you’re getting old when the shining 47s of your youth are now smokey old things of yesteryear!

16. Pookeyhead

For the moment? No.. it's just better. The other day I wanted to put a consist together to run a specific train. Within 10 minutes I had what I needed: Reskins for the 57, coaches, and the 68 on the back... not joking.. 10 minutes. Try that in TSW.

20210406212546_1.jpg

...and I'm sick of all the TS1 looks rubbish nonsense as well... Watch this, and honestly tell me that TSW looks THAT much better.
    All those things that have been done here... RWEnhancer, ReShade, all the AP stuff... that could have been TS out of the box if DTG realised the potential of what they had, and listened to people's feedback; They could have developed such things, and assets themselves, then all the money people spend on TS stuff from 3rd parties would be theirs, instead of a fraction of it.

Oh well. Just reminding you all what a great resource you all have for when you all next complain about it. ..and how rubbish TSW actually is of course.

Carry on.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. SJA

SJA Active Member

:D Where I lived my earliest memories were of unkempt Class 115s in NSE toothpaste livery, with the occasional NSE 47 + coaches being drafted in (very rare, but it happened once or twice when enough 115s were out of action). Class 165s/Turbos were introduced very shortly after this but I was always awestruck when we were in London for a day out and I would ask if we could go to one of the termini where similarly dirty, but more menacing looking HSTs ran from so that I could enjoy the Valenta scream. I would prey upon my mum wanting a coffee or a snack: "There are coffees in Paddington, mum" :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

I agree that TS1 on many routes, especially with the enhancements available can give TSW a run for its money. TSW's let down is the distant scenery and some of the adjacent lineside buildings are quite poor quality compared to the railway infrastructure.

I have recently replaced the tracks on the TS1 Paddington to Swindon workshop route with based on GWML so a 14 year old route, with the WCML Shap track, which gives the route a lot more colour. That plus retexturing the acres of light grey concrete and now starting to replace the foliage and some of the lineside buildings with more modern runs, means I now have a very acceptable looking BR blue period GWML route, just a shame it never made it to Bristol. I did make me wonder what RSDL were doing at the time, some of the MSTS routes around the mid 2000's had some very nice looking track and ground textures and on GWML and ECML you ended with acres of grey concrete and shiny silver track.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

"DTG want to not develop TS1 any more" "are still making DLC"
    Eh?

20. Clumsy Pacer

What they want to do and what they actually do may be different things.

When making the first comment I was thinking more towards the future, even the near future, but perhaps not now.