Changes To The Academy System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARuscoe, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've recently downloaded and started to play the game but am generally a train buff at heart...

I've found the academy system "a bit bulky", repetitive and quite badly worded in some cases, and whilst I understand that short sharp lessons can be very beneficial to some, having separate electric, diesel and steam lessons for basically the same thing seems onerous.

For example having separate single aspect, two aspect, three aspect and four aspect lessons, as well as separate semaphore signal lessons could be rolled into one or two slightly longer but overall more succinct lessons. It would save at least the first three explanatory boxes from each lesson as the block system explanation wouldn't need to be repeated.

Also, the way the block system is explained in the signalling training seems off...
    • Red means "next block has a train in it" - true
    • Single Yellow means "the block after next has a train in it" - true
    • Green means "the third block away has a train in it" - erm, not necessarily...
    Maybe instead of talking about the location of vehicles talk of where the signal at danger is?
    "The next signal at danger is at least two signals away" would be a more accurate representation

2. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello!

I share your opinion that the academy is in no way a reliable source to learn about trains. There are loads of very accurate documents that can get you up-to-speed for train driving. TSW is even worse, since it's signalling implementation is in 90% of cases filled with errors. I reccomend you read any official documentation on the signalling types on your desired route. Please tell me what you intend to play, then I can supply you with sufficient material.

Cheers,
    -Prof

3. ARuscoe

Luckily I am enough of a train buff and have watched loads of youtubers on TS over the years to know the UK system fairly well but those trawling through the academy system will likely get bored doing the same thing three times just because the engine is different, or could end up driving much slower than necessary thinking the next red light is 1 mile away when it could be 10

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I fully agree that more tutorials are needed and add that those made by DTG tend to be very elementary. So why don't we make our own based on available documents? In this case, "we" refers to those equipped with a thorough knowledge of LUA as it is used in those Academy runs.

5. ProfCreeptonius

Hello community!

LastTrainToClarksville Your post gave me an idea, you're brilliant mate! For the German signalling system tutorials, look up the document by me in my signature. For British signalling, well, I don't think we really need that much LUA. Thus, I'll try and make a reworked Academy tutorial scenario for the British signalling.
    The tutorials on how to get a train up and running though are already fairly good, so I don't think those need reworking as of yet.

I'll get to work.

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

6. ProfCreeptonius

And here it is!
    The first test version anyways. Unpack the ZIP archive and copy paste the Content folder in your Railworks folder. If you know anything about installing 3rd party add-ons, then this should be a piece of cake. If you take a close look to the structure of the folder you'll see that it exactly mimics the structure of the Railworks files, so it will add the scenario data exactly there where it's supposed to be. No worries, there are no malicious .exe files in there.

If you have any improvement suggestions, feel free to tell me :)

Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

Attached Files:

7. ARuscoe

Empty ZIP file?

8. rickyt7808

rickyt7808 Member

ZIP file is empty for me too.

9. ProfCreeptonius

Attached Files: