Train Sim World 2 - Climb Aboard The Clinchfield

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Apr 8, 2021.

1. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I will say when the instructions had me sit in the seat just go get up to turn on the switch, I definitely thought about it. They have stated that they need the player to sit in the seat to start the physics engine so not a big deal to me at least.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

An interesting notion, but leaning that far beyond the engineer's seat would probably result in falling to the floor. Still, there's that necessity to sit in the seat enable the engine's "physics engine" -- now there's a neat little example of anti-immersion! Please understand that I'm not dissing any of you who have responded to my OP -- just pointing out anomalies in this start-up procedure.

3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You're right. There are some strange things like that. For example, a suggestion like 'use the throttle to start moving' when we are standing downhill and we should basically start brake. Just a pragmatic solution from my side! :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, IRL it's frowned upon to start, even downhill, with the engine at idle and no current to the motors: it's hard on the system mechanically.

5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I saw IRL engineers waiting for the train to start to roll. In these cases, you don't even have to wait, but start to brake.
    The suggestion to add a notch is disturbing :D

This command is given while driving downhill - what for?

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think critical feedback and finding genuine faults and bugs are important subjects for discussion, but don't y'all think that sometimes we're guilty of quibbling and "reaching" for pretty insignificant things. I would politely suggest that having to occasionally lift your rear end out of the seat fits the definition of "quibbling ".
    On the question of starting without engaging the throttle, I think solicitr is correct. I wouldn't start a car without putting it in gear and applying minimal gas pedal. It's a question of control. Once you're moving at required speed, coasting is fine.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Not in this case. I am sure. But this is not a big deal.

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

Outstanding!

10. solicitr

Interesting what it has to say on pp. 8-9 about helper engines. It seems in many cases they didn't even use radio; the helper engineer was expected to use his best judgment just like steam days.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Excellent research Blacknred81.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I am bumping this thread because I think we are sometimes too quick to judge a route or a DLC and I wanted to give myself some time and miles on Clinchfield before I posted a review. I also think that focusing on the bugs misses the point of the Clinchfield; it raises the bar for operations in TSW2. So, FWIW the review I posted on Steam is below. TLDR: I love operations on the Clinchfield with the F7.

Dynamic dispatching and a 24 hour service mode are key hallmarks of TSW2. Clinchfield raises the bar in both those categories.

Operationally, the route is fascinating with service modes that are so much more than just cut and paste jobs of the same run from the last hour. The services are individually designed to reflect the historic operational complexities of the Clinchfield. Each branch line has uniquely crafted turns and switching maneuvers. These branch services then work their way into the overall timetable that also includes through runs. All of this is done on a single track main which makes driving and dispatching very interesting. This route is special and raises the bar for TSW2; if you are into operations and could only have one DLC, this should be it.

Challenging and unique services abound, no digging through the timetable needed; they are right there waiting for your mouse click. The services roll over into each other allowing for complete turns and a full crew shift of operation. I can already tell that I want to drive them all. I am thinking about how to find large blocks of time so that I can do complete turns and have the delays build up as I drive them. It is easy to get completely immersed in the operations on this route.

The F7 is the star and it is well done; a blast to drive. There is a learning curve. The F7 is not a sports car and the lapped brakes require patience - this may account for some of the negative reviews here. A manual would have helped, but it is all covered in the Train Simulator streams. They are perhaps the most enjoyable brakes in the game for me. The initial application is not too much of a reduction and after that, it is easy to finesse small increments of braking with the apply and then lap settings. I feel like I have much finer control than with auto lapped brakes.

I have not had the issues of accidentally sliding into emergency. I program the ; and . keystrokes to buttons on my gaming mouse and the brake reliably slides into initial service, lap, apply, and back to lap for me.

The horn is not going to violate any noise ordinances, but is overall good; it sounds really nice from the cab, but just needs a little more reverb at the finish.

In sum, the F7 is excellent; my current favorite TSW loco.

The caboose is also well done with operating lights and and operating air gauge. Checking the gauge with the caboose cam is the equivalent of a call on the radio to the brakeman to see what the pressure is on the rear. In TSW, we do not have the “passenger view” so viewing the brake gauge requires maneuvering a #3 camera to the door on the long end of the caboose, opening the door, and sliding in to where you can see the gauge.

And, oh by the way, the scenery is nice!

Like any complex piece of code, there will be bugs. It will be nice when the new SD40 horn comes and the tunnel lock is cured. Yet, to focus on a bug or two misses seeing this route for what it is: a tour de force of complex operations.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Nicely put and i agree. Haven't gotten as much time to play as i hoped so far, but i've done the Limited Power scenario, a couple mainline services, and now i'm working my way through the Greenbriar branch services (just finished #4).

The operational aspects are fantastic, and the F7 is so fun to drive.

Regarding the caboose- where exactly is the brake guage? I've been trying to get the rear camera focused on it, and i can get it in the door, but then it gets stuck and i can't move it any further into the caboose.

My only request for the route is a switcher DLC with services in Elkhorn and Dante yards. And bug fixes, but generally it's at the top of my list for TSW routes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Squeeze through by going 'sideways'. The clock is above the door :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

So when I've got the F7 on full power for a few mins, the engine cuts out and lights turn off.
    Does anyone know the procedure for rebooting the f7?

16. solicitr

For some strange reason, the flying camera can only go through the door on the 'long roof' end, not the other one.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

Lacking a users' manual, I'm puzzled about how to ride in the caboose. I'm guessing that doing so would first require identifying a train that includes a caboose and then "spawning in" on foot, but I feel sure that I'm missing some procedures and would appreciate more detailed instructions.

18. solicitr

No, it's just that simple- especially since all trains have a caboose: it was a Federal regulation at the time. Climb up the steps, open the door, turn on the lights if you want, and have a seat.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks for the reply, and I'll give that a try; but let me point out that while all trains have cabooses (or is that "cabeese"?), many of Clinchfield's activities -- especially those that most interest me -- involve switching and, while a rack of cars sometimes includes a caboose entering it would be a waste of time since it is just being moved around the yard.

20. solicitr

Go into the Map and see which rakes have engines attached- those will be moving before long. (You can also peek at the timetable for departures and time your spawn-in from that)

21. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Easily the best North American route so far.

• Like Like x 7
  22. RestrictedProceed

RestrictedProceed New Member

I agree that it's a question of control. But... Sitting in a light car with mechanical transmission is a bit different from controling a half-mile long train with electric transmission. Not only is it counterproductive to use power when it's obvious you will have to waste that same power in brake shoes just moments later, but it also stretches the couplers while you need to keep the entire train bunched, so that you can start applying dynamic brakes.

Following is a section of the CSX Keystone Sub timetable dealing with how to start trains stopped on the downhill grade between west portal of Sand Patch tunnel and Manila (after releasing and recharging the train brake):

Trains will be started by placing dynamic brake in full application and gradually reducing the independent brake, until the train begins to move. The independent brake should be fully released when speed reaches 5 MPH.

As you can see, you do have the control over your train, you just get it through the use of brakes instead of power.

While that single instruction in CRR we are talking about is definitely not a game-breaking problem, it would be nice if the game actually told you how to start your train properly under different circumstances, rather than telling you the same thing you've heard like thousand times.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. varailfan462

varailfan462 New Member

Actually, the 1970's locomotives likely have horn buttons, rather than handles. It is something that EMD referred to as a more modern, sleeker design, with electronic button instead of a PSI based horn lever. The local GP38-2 that runs by my house is from 1977, and has a horn button, rather than a handle.

24. LastTrainToClarksville

Season? Weather? Did you try turning on the wipers and, if so, did they clear away the grime?

25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

That person is using -DX12 so thats why

26. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

If only they would fix the horn on the SD-40.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes its don’t work anymore after multiple times.
    It’s terrible and nobody cares to fixed

28. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

I just fell foul of this - GUTTED!
    You are right its this kind of thing that makes me drop the game...

29. solicitr

BAD mistake, and one which I hope TrainSim-Adam's team doesn't miss when they get around to Clinchfield.

IRL, an occupied siding ALWAYS has the entry and exit switches turned away, no exceptions. For this very reason.

• Like Like x 2