Tauernbahn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Snek, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Tauernbahn

[​IMG]

Tauernbahn is an 80km long Austrian line, spanning between Schwarzach-Sankt Veit and Spittal an der Drau. It is a vital route connecting the state of Salzburg in the north with Carinthia in the south. On it's way, it climbs the Hohe Tauern mountain range, passing throught it in a 8,3km long Tauern tunnel. It would be a first mountain railway in TSW, with gradients up to 2,5% and fantastic scenery and views over the valley.

[​IMG]

Falkenstein bridge
    It would offer a very active driving experience, as the route has with many speed changes ranging from 130 down to 70km/h, while climbing the valley on steep inclines over 2%. It's mostly double tracked, but with a few short single tracked sections on the northern ramp to make the driving more interesting.

[​IMG]

Railjet on the single-tracked section near Bad Hofgastein
    Services operating on the Tauernbahn are quite varied, with local and railjet passenger services as well as long and heavy freight trains. German DB trains can also be seen, operating passenger and freight services on the line, which could make substitutions from German dlc possible.
    [​IMG]
    DB BR 101 on the Tauernbahn
    A special service is also in operation throught the Tauern tunnel, called the Tauernschleuse. It's a train transporting passengers and their cars through the tunnel to shorten the trip, loading and unloading at each end. It would definitely be a unique addition to TSW's service mode.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Possible Austrian rolling stock:
    (all photos are from the Tauernbahn)
    [​IMG]
    ÖBB 1116 on the Tauernbahn
    A universal austrian loco, operating both freight and passenger services.

[​IMG]
    ÖBB 4746 EMU Desiro

[​IMG]
    ÖBB 1144

[​IMG]
    ÖBB 1293 Vectron

[​IMG]
    ÖBB 1216 in Railjet livery + coaches.
    An lovely loco used mostly for international trains.
    The route could include the 1116 and the Desiro EMU, which leaves many opportunities for later loco dlc like the Railjet, Vectron or the 1144.
    The Tauern railway would be a great first step into Austrian territory, which also offers many other interesting lines. It has good length, interesting driving and many services, aswell as diverse rolling stock and future loco add-on options. It's also one of Austria's most beautiful and scenic railways with many incredible views. At the moment, TSW lacks mountain railways and this route would be a perfect choice after all the upcoming flatter lines on the roadmap.
    I think this would have been a very fun route with lots of content and great scenery.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 50
  2. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Looks fun. Nice range of locomotive hauled services and units.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Any Austrian line whether it is Franz Josefs Bahn, Vienna Subway, Tauernbahn, Mariazellerbahn, Waldviertler Schmalspurbahn, is welcome. So Austria for next TSW country.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Agreed, Austrian railways are one of the most interesting in Europe and definitely should be in TSW at some point.

Anyway, here is a nice video of rail traffic on Taurenbahn:

• Like Like x 3
  5. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Looks really, really nice. But I think I'd like Semmering first.

6. tinsed

tinsed New Member

I have travelled over this route before and I must say it's just beautiful and quite varied, one of the top routes from Austria for sure. The southern ramp has some great views over the valley from it's bridges.
    It would be amazing to drive over it, especially in a Railjet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Raffomatiko

Raffomatiko New Member

Please let this be added to TSW 2!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This looks like an interesting routes and cool trains. I'd love to see an Austrian route, especially when traversing those mountains. And the ÖBB1144 is one of my favourite locomotives in Train Simulator. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

ÖBB 1116 can be made by Reskinning the MRCE BR182 into ÖBB Red and Railjet paint. With the Railjet being layered onto HMA as the 20:43 München Hbf 21:13 Augsburg Hbf trip to which it's racing an Ulm bound regional train. Provided you use ÖBB trip planner website for HMA. For this route ÖBB website lists all the services on Tauernbahn if you actually put in Salzburg Hbf to Spittal an der Drau. If there was a journey mode added it's introduction chapter 1 EMU Driver Chapter 2 ÖBB 1293 Vectron Driver Chapter 3 Autoshuttle Driver Chapter 4 ÖBB Taurus driver and lastly Chapter 5 ÖBB 1114 Driver. There are Nightjet trips on the Tauernbahn first up is the 01:40 Salzburg followed by 04:15 Schwartzach

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

This would be a nice introduction to Austria, a scenic country with interseting and good looking rolling stock, that I would love to see in game.

I also totally agree with this. The 1116 with IC coaches and some of the German freight wagons (or maybe even a new one) and the Desiro would be great as the standard locos for the route.

The Railjet is a famous and recognisable train, and would therefore be a great DLC. I'd also love to see the 1144 with freight and IC trains.

11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Oh so it could have a layer for the 101. Instant buy for me then!

• Like Like x 2
  12. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

That does indeed seem another good reason for it too. Are there any services where a ÖBB 1116 loco hauls German IC coaches?

• Like Like x 1
  13. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Good suggestion, a lot of trains that operates on that route! Would love to see the railjet, vectron and Desiro on that route.

14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

A new Vectron is being released this week.

Can anyone recommend the Taurenbahn route, it is five years since it’s first release in a fortnight and I wondered if the content is as good as the latest routes.

15. driverwoods#1787

I agree and for the Railjet it can be layered onto HMA as the 20:43 München Hbf 21:13 Augsburg Hbf trip Railjet 66 Budapest to Frankfurt Am Main Hbf.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

I put a like on this thread months ago, but forgot to also lend my voice in the form of a post. Perfect locations, perfect rolling stock - this should be one of the routes taking TSW2 beyond the mind-numbing UK/US/Germany development loop.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. driverwoods#1787

Correct and if made Tauernbahn will affect all the West German routes like Rhein-Ruhr Osten Main Spessart Bahn Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg since those routes have ÖBB services. Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen with Tauernbahn the use of Taurus locomotive on Passenger Nightjet and freight run. Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg Railjet Nightjet Freight. Example is the 20:43 München Hbf 21:13 Augsburg where RE 9 to Ulm RB57066 leaves München Hbf at 20:35 but arrives at Augsburg Hbf 21:26 meaning the Railjet Layered from Tauernbahn overtakes the DB BR146.2 Riesa-Dresden or Main Spessart Bahn between München Pasing and Augsburg Hbf.

18. Renfe cercanias

Renfe cercanias Active Member

it is the sad reality ..... money rules and dtg should consider changing the name to train sim world germany .... I say nothing and I say everything ... but the game in total is 39 routes and 15 of they are German ...

DTG. Austria is fantastic .... as well as other countries. I propose that for the next pack of three routes that leave all 3 be from completely new countries

• Like Like x 2
  19. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

20. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I agree... I love seeing routes in different environments and this route is one of the best ways to bring the European Alps to TSW, as it's interesting, great looking and DTG has the ÖBB license.
    Austria might also appeal to the German market.
    Might update this suggestion if I find some time, it looks a bit messy at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  21. driverwoods#1787

If made Tauernbahn will affect RRO SKA Main Spessart Bahn Hauptstrecke Munchen-Augsburg because in real life those have OBB services. If you stand 19:30-19:36 at Aachen Hbf SKA you're going to see the OBB 1116 take over the EN424/425 from the SNCB HLE 18 Brussels Aachen service HMA RJ63 08:40 Augsburg 09:10 Munchen Westbound 20:45 Munchen Hbf 21:15 Augsburg Hbf. Play the HMA evening chaos you're stuck behind a double header ICE to West Berlin

• Like Like x 1