Question On Limited Power Scenario

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have gotten though the schedule to the point where I am moving the initial cut of loaded hoppers to the stop location on Blue Diamond siding and there are already car on that siding so unable to get to the trip point. As can be seen from this screen grab I have completed everything through loading the hoppers and there is no lime to move these cars. Any thoughts from others who have done this one.

bandicam 2021-04-11 13-29-38-149.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sharon E

Sorry double post and can't figure how to delete.

3. wirewalker#4169

wirewalker#4169 New Member

Hi I had the same problem on my fist attempt. An F7 came up and coupled to the end of the unloaded hoppers and just sat there. The second time the other F7 came and took them away so you could continue. I could not see any reason why it did not work the first time it could be really picky about where the wagons are located in the two sidings but that's just a guess. Not a very helpful reply I know but it as I said it did work perfectly the second time around

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I messed that one for the first time too :)
    Be precise, do not leave cuts / parts-of-consist on switches :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Good advice, but that does not appear to be the entire root of the problem. I was clear of switches and still encountered the same issue. We'll get there!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I had to switch the track myself. pressed 9 on keyboard and then switched from there. I ran into the siding and derailed the first time because I assumed all the switches would be setup but I was wrong.

7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

It didn't happen my first time (derailed lol) but it did happen multiple times when resuming saved game (to save driving back - I saved once I arrived at the mine). The AI loco just couples and does nothing after (no driver). The wagons were all in the orange zone, not on any points. I went through the mine go via objective and still no AI driver taking the remaining wagons.

You can't rely on the manual save system in this game. It messes up the AI. The issue has taken the enjoyment out of this. Well...at least I am getting coal loading mastery done I suppose with these retries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Be brave \o/ Yep, save / load is sometimes broken :(

9. Sharon E

Thanks everyone, I also thought that the AI F7 would move this cut for me so will see when I go back in.

10. Sharon E

Well, loaded my last save and whatever triggers the AI to pull the cars is already 'broke' by that point. The F7 has come up to attach to that cut, but won't move it. So back to the start of Limited Power.

11. Sharon E

Second time up the branch and those cars on the siding are gone when I pull off with the first cut of hoppers to fill. This time I walked to the point where I needed to uncouple instead of using the '3' view and 'flying; there. Don't know if this made a difference or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raretrack

Happy to report I've just finished Limited Power - what a relief :D

I did a combination of the various tips I've seen in the various LP threads:
    • No resuming - played it one go (paused a couple of times but never exited the scenario)
    • No CTRL+0ing back to the cab- I walked everywhere (it'll keep my sim-self fit anyway!)
    • Made sure all couplers were uncoupled using the 8 menu (hat tip to paul.pavlinovich for that one)
    When crunch time came for the AI F7 to couple up and take the first cut away I kept on a close eye on it to make sure what happened to me here didn't happen again. This time the AI coupled up and the crew remained (though bizarrely they had an instant AI crew change and turned into different people! :o).

So if the AI F7 is sitting on the cut and doesn't have a visible crew, you're stuffed. Start again :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sharon E

raretrack, happy for you. I got caught up in a totally different problem yesterday. After I filled the second cut of hoppers and was ready to reverse back to couple to the first hoppers filled, the dynamic brakes would not cut in, then the locomotive engines cut out and finally I started rolling back and not able to control. There was much more, like the touchy keyboard controls throwing me into emergency brakes and having to recover from that. I think somehow this started to whole cascade of issues. Right now I am just going to step back from this and maybe run some easy stuff like SWHS or other British route. There is nothing like a good stopper service to sooth the frayed nerves.

14. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Regenerative brakes do not work at slow speeds, I used a combination of loco and train brakes and throttle to back down. Stoled a maneuver out of my ship handle days of kedging in with an anchor in adverse conditions... you drop the anchor under foot ( just dragging on the bottom) this stops movement, but allows you to apply power to move, once power is removed, the anchor again stops the ship.

In this case apply train brakes to minimum pressure when at a stop. Use the throttle to back down at a slow rate, as speed gets to 2-3 mph remove power, control speed with loco brakes... increase train brake pressure as required. With practice you can control these descents.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sharon E

Thanks LeadCatcher, I will give that a try when I go back to it. I really have an issue with my twitchy fingers getting me into the emergency detent when I am try to move back and forth from lap to service, which creates its own issues. If I do continue, maybe will have to see if I can get and Raildriver which would, I think, give a better control on braking.

OK, just ordered one from Amazon, lets hope I like it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LeadCatcher

I have found the Raildriver to be a great help with the finer controls. Great help on Steam locomotives in TS Classic as well. Best of luck with this scenario, I consider it one of the best I have run in TSW2 and TS Classic, but it does test your patience, and would be harder with keyboard over the Raildriver in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  17. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I love this scenario as well. In addition to the excellent tips above, I would recommend applying hand brakes on several cars anytime you park a heavy consist on a grade. Beyond being prototypical*, it helps in the game as well. Otherwise, the cars have a tendency to roll when you couple up. I almost had the train run away from me while I was on the ground switching cabs! That was exciting.

I am close to taking the plunge with Raildriver. Let us know how you like it when it arrives.

* On my tourist RR, the rule was “ apply a sufficient number of handbrakes to secure the train.”

• Like Like x 2
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The F7 is possibly the worst example of a problem with many TSW locos in keyboard mode: there just isn't a detent, or much of one, between Service and Emergency, and one is badly needed. It's especially annoying with manually lapped brakes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! Well done. I just finished it as a practice run for my first stream tomorrow and to see if my latest BSOD has gone way. Stable so far :).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's certainly a challenging scenario. I was in and out of it for the best part of 3 days!
    I saved and resumed several times. My only problem was discovering those cars fouling the switch when I needed to run around the wagons. So I had to go back, re-attach the caboose and cars and pull them clear. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. Hats off to the guy or gal who scripted that scenario. Might be the best yet.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Crosstie

Oh you will. But remember it's still in beta and we're still waiting for a little more than half of the locos to come on line. It will only get better. Heck, I like it so much, I'm even driving British DMU's and EMU's and German express trains!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this scenario found it to be challenging in a good way, made it up to the mine with very little issues. Once at the mine had a small handful of issues, some emergency stops and a roll back when attaching the caboose to my loaded coal cars. Rolled back causing the cars to foul the switch I needed to get through to couple up to the other end of the train. Once I sorted that out was able to get down to Allen Storage, and finish with a Gold.

• Like Like x 1
  23. paul.pavlinovich

Or go down to the via point, then back up and down the mainline past the fouled switch and come back to it :)

I'm sneaky!

In today's stream I did something wrong and confused the game it sait "Wait a moment" and then I proceeded to keep doing everything, then eventually after setting off along the line away from the mine I came across the other F7 and the carriages which were just sitting on the main, so what else would I do but couple up. I jumped into the new lead loco but it would not let me sit in the drivers's seat and it would also let me mess with the controls so I have no experienced AI physics - certainly much easier :)

• Like Like x 2
  24. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Just tried this scenario this morning. The whole thing works absolutely fine. You just need to make sure when you are loading up with coal that you don't block your junctions. I derailed the other day because of it. Follow the onscreen prompts and it's all good. No problems with the other f7 either

• Like Like x 2
  25. raretrack

Whilst I agree that is a good tip, it's only part of the story. Some of us who encountered issues did not block any junctions but still had the stuck AI F7. Instead, our issues appeared to stem from the save/ resume bug and / or locked couplers.

Remember, folks: 'don't block junctions AND don't save / resume AND make sure the coupler on the car that the AI F7 will attach to is unlocked'!

• Like Like x 2
  26. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I did actually save and resume raretrack as I wasn't sure whether I could be bothered/had time to run the whole journey. Definitely a weird one.

27. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I actually never thought of doing that last night, that would have been sneaky indeed. None the less I still had fun being able to complete with full success.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crosstie

It's impossible for me to run that entire scenario in one session. Fortunately, the save/resume function worked flawlessly in my case. I didn't have to unlock that coupler (actually wasn't aware of it). However, as I mentioned, I did foul the junction, but was able to work around it. I also didn't know you could access the main line.
    I'll say it again. Whoever wrote that scenario deserves a pay raise.

• Like Like x 3
  29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Iconic one. Already a legend (scenario).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I just had another go and same thing happens... the F7 couples up and then just sits there. This was on a clean play, no save or load involved. Not going to attempt it again until/if fixed or made to work better.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Crosstie

D
    That's unfortunate. The scenario does work, but not for everybody it seems. There must be a "trigger" in the scripting that makes that AI loco drag those cars away. Something the player does or doesn't do in exactly the right way. Either that or it's just serendipitous, but I think not.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

OldVern, alternatively, I can offer you to send my saved game right after the action with F7.

33. raretrack

Did you visually check that the coupler on the rear (bottom-most) car was unlocked before the AI F7 arrived? It can look as if they've coupled but they might not be, fully. Paul's recent tip on this worked for me, and led to me finishing the scenario.

34. OldVern

Thanks for the offer but I want to try and get this done myself!

• Like Like x 1
  35. OldVern

Yes it was (unlocked).

• Like Like x 1
  36. raretrack

Ah, in which case I'm out of ideas and perplexed like you.

The only other thing I didn't do on my good run that I'd done on my previous bad ones was not to use cab switching shortcuts. I either walked around or used the 8 camera. No idea if that makes a difference or not. It's going to be a process of elimination!

37. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Like above - I've done all moves manually too!

38. Crosstie

Ooh, I'd forgotten. I did manual couple/uncouple this time, because the consists were fairly short. I used the map to throw the switches, though. Did it make a difference? It shouldn't, but who knows.
    One thing that tripped me up on SPG once was not filling all the cars to 100%. I'm just reaching here.
    Might you have overshot and had to back up to an objective? Could be anything.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  39. raretrack

I used the map to throw the switches on my succesful run, so I don't think that's a factor. Then again, this scenario seems to affect diffterent people in different ways, so what worked for me might not work for others - and vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
  40. paul.pavlinovich

Did you pull right up to the stop point with your locos after you left that set in place, then back down the remaining cars - if you don't do that it seems the other set doesn't leave.

Paul

41. paul.pavlinovich

I nearly always use the map it doesn't seem to matter.

42. LeadCatcher

I ran through this scenario on my first try without any problems others than those I introduced myself :) basically fouling the switch requiring me to use the main to do the run around. Whatever the problem you are experiencing is not universal so it seems. Will be interesting to find what is the cause.

With well over 5000 hours in TSClassic and several hundred in the different versions of TSW, this is the best scenario I have had the privilege to have run. The challenges require a bit of skill and knowledge of how the systems work and yet allow a bit of “trained initiative” to come up with solutions to problems like me fouling the switch.

Again, sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Just can’t imagine what would be causing the problems you describe that are affecting a few others, but not universal. There must be a common thread.

• Like Like x 2
  43. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

The only suggestion I can give is when you leave the cut of cars for the F7 to collect do you stop with the car the furthest away from your loco on the marker rather than your loco or another point in the train? By this I mean the distance from the marker will be showing as 100-odd or 200-odd metres away from you in the loco.

I’m sure that is what I did and it worked fine first time.

I was initially going to stop with the distance at as close to 1m as possible but then realised that would be in the wrong position.

44. solicitr

In general, Stop At markers mean "Front end of train here", not "Your keister here." In reversing moves, that can make quite a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  45. OldVern

I looked at that but don’t think there is enough room between where the F7 has positioned itself and the front of your train to get even close to 0m with it. I’ve tried all sorts of positions (!) and none of them work.

46. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

No that’s my point. You need to stop when the first wagon (The one furthest from your pair of F7s) is at the marker not your loco. The distance will still be showing 100-odd or 200-odd metres away rather than 0 metres.

47. Crosstie

Yes, that is a little misleading. If you placed your loco on the marker, which is usually what you're supposed to do, that would mess things up.

48. OldVern

And I also did that, with the same result. The F7 simply moved up, stopped, came forward and coupled to the consist then... nothing!

49. LeadCatcher

OldVern - I can not fathom what the problem is. Like I stated, all worked as it is suppose to on my first attempt. I played straight through, no saves, and was using a rail-driver, if that had any bearing. Wish we could figure it out because it is a smashing scenario and know you would enjoy it if we could ever get it sorted for you.

50. solicitr

Well, no. It's the leading element in the train- which in reversing moves is the other end from your loco.

I learned this early on, shunting in SPG (SPADed trying to get my loco to the marker while the lead wagons blithely rolled through the exit red onto the main line)