Roadmap Update - 20th April 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Apr 20, 2021.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They could always make it like it is in TS, like a perfectly polished mirror with no smudges :D

I do think the plain featureless sea in WSR is better than that in IoW though, although neither are much to look at. Maybe something to work on for this route. I do like the sound of the route though. I’ve been to St. Ives, it’s lovely down that part of the country.

• Like Like x 5
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I am 99% sure that Adam said on a Roadmap stream that they will work on the MSB sounds the same way as they did with the LIRR trains (so readjusting volumes and fixing some balances and bugs instead of completely new sounds). So going by this, something should be done to the sounds. They also say that they cannot really say they "fixed" them until the players can give their feedback, but if it goes through beta testing they are on a good way to get the sounds to the level of TSW2020.

3. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Like northeast corridor Boston to providence or Lirr?

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's not only Rivet. Water texture is very poor in almost every TSW2 route, up to and including Clinchfield. The one exception I've found is SEHS. The Medway is actually flowing!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Could be anything really , most likely passenger though

6. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well on the RM-stream on March 23rd, Adam stated that the sound of the Talent 2 has been fixed (completed (around minute 17) and on minute 21 he said the sounds of the 146/185 have been fixed, apart from testing...

• Like Like x 3
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The class 101 still won't be really accurate in its livery next to the class 52. It wouldn't have been impossible to see a class 101 down that far but unlikely as Laira only had around five sets for around a year or so (these were the five blue/grey sets the WR had to work next to the Cross Country units), they might have worked some Plymouth to Penzance stoppers but I very much doubt would have been seen on the St. Ives branch, in fact I would guarantee it as they were for mainline and long secondary line use not branch lines.

If set in 1990 which seems to be the end of the time period suggested a class 101 would be fine as Laira received some to replace the Pacers/Skippers which were deemed unsuitable around 1987. They received class 101 and 108 vehicles, mostly from the North East and Scotland I think which ran till 1992. Of course a class 52 would not be realistic in that case.

• Like Like x 3
  8. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope it’s north east corridor Boston to providence or metro north Harlem line on rush hour for train sim world 2.

9. theorganist

If they are including the St. Ives branch and starting from Truro they could include the Falmouth branch too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Given that DTG got away with incorrect liveries for the GWB pack as well as Rivet using the NSE livery for IOW, anything is possible. Which isn’t good for authentic operations.

• Like Like x 4
  11. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

yes but read this part below

Everything we've mentioned previously is still included but we want to avoid this update being a massive list of improvements. Our aim is that you can get a quick understanding of what's coming up without having to wade through every item in depth. When we release each update the patch notes should include absolutely everything included.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Super excited about Penzance- Truro!
    Hopefully it's a modern route, I could easily see them re using the HSTs as the four coach Castle Class sets. My wish for the new train would probably be a Class 150.

Hope DTG haven't forgotten about the 313 lol, I'm beginning to get impatient. It's been stuck in production for months while they've happily started work on other projects.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

A British route that doesn't include suburban EMU's- hallelujah!

This line is in a fantastic part of the world and is sure to be amazing. I travelled St Erth-St Ives for the first time last year and it's a stunning route.

If it's set in modern times I would be delighted if they could feature the night riviera service.

IMG_3933.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lords_75

Lords_75 Member

Sam said there was gonna be an American route announced on this roadmap no? Why is DTG so ridiculously biased? News flash: not everyone wants American freight routes. See y’all in 2 weeks for more disappointment.

• Like Like x 3
  15. theorganist

The code suggests it is from 1951 and 1990 and references diesel hydraulics. Unless that is referring to a class 150.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the water textures in TS are generally better than those in TSW2.
    I do agree with you about the sea in IoW, though. I'm always afraid some poor seagull is going to try to dive into it thinking it really is water.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

Well yes that is correct. Authentic operations seem to only occur when DTG wants them too. The use of the class 101 in all three occasions it has been used has not been strictly accurate even on NTP and TVL, okay in a fairly small way for those routes, but as someone who is what you might call a student of that period then it matters.

This is why I have largely gone back to TS1, I would rather be able to create something realistic even if the graphics aren't quite as good rather than what other deem to be realistic or good enough to sell content!

18. theorganist

I agree the water in TS1 is far better. As soon as I saw the St Ives branch was part of this route I had a sinking feeling that the sea will be a big let down. Of course, Rivit or DTG might have something up their sleeve.

• Like Like x 2
  19. james64

Oh...
    Well that's disappointing. I'll still probably play it but that kind of era isn't as much my thing. I was hoping we'd finally get a modern British route that wasn't in South East England for once.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Seeing as 166's are migrating down south, they'll probably just use them instead of making 150's or 158's (which are the main piece of stock on these services)

• Like Like x 1
  21. tardisgaming07

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I love it when there's a long string of discussion and suddenly a meme appears :D Make the forum a bit funnier.

• Like Like x 6
  23. james64

I'm 90% sure the 166s stay in the Bristol area. They moved there so that 150s and 158s could move to Devon and Cornwall, so having 166s would be inaccurate.

Then again the Diesel Legends Pack proves that accuracy doesn't matter much, at least to DTG. Hopefully Rivet have a different mindset.

• Like Like x 4
  24. marceldiehr02

marceldiehr02 Active Member

Die DTG verarbeitet den Rapid Transit-Fahrplan bis zum Status 2021, der Bahnhof Leipzig Essener Straße besteht seit 2018 zwischen Leipzig Nord und der Leipzig Messe. Wird dieser Bahnhof dem Rapid Transit hinzugefügt?

25. tardisgaming07

*cough*cough* class 117 *cough*cough* class 50 *cough*cough

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Nein.

Ohhh a new british diesel route, does the 101 drive there?

(Okay probably not, what rolling stock would be appropriate for this route?

27. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

From today's notes:
    • Improved Timetable mode to ensure physics would remain active when trains are stopped for extended periods.
    Does this mean a blanket improvement for CPU train logic that often results in permanent red signals? Because that would be awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  28. james64

Oooo definitely. I could imagine they'd able to spruce up the existing 47 for that.

29. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the 101, it is a lot of fun as you actually have to drive it instead of sitting back and looking out the window. But the 101 shouldn't be on this route.

I feel the same whena USA or German route is announced but horses for courses.

I saw something about the origines of the Cornish Pasty, they seem to suggest it was workers from London going to Cornwall that first invented the Cornish Pasty! lol. Can't remember where I saw it but thought it was interesting.

Will this route be compatible with the RailDriver does anyone know? IOW is so there is hope I suppose.

• Like Like x 4
  30. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I like driving the 101 as well, it gives you something to do. However, what I don't like about the 101 is paying twice for it. People who bought the Diesel Legends pack bought it a third time. You'll have to agree that paying for it a fourth time would be adding insult to injury.

• Like Like x 3
  31. james64

The 101 is fun but two (technically three) routes is plenty imo. I still find it unbelieveable that the 101 is in that many routes while the legendary HST is only in one.

• Like Like x 3
  32. turbostar#4215

turbostar#4215 Active Member

Expectations Vs Reality
    Was great to see the new route being announced earlier but why on earth is it set back in time? We have had a barrage of modern routes recently including SEHS (and by modern I mean using current trains and signalling) so what's the attraction with old trains and equipment? There's been a lot of talk about using the 101 again which if comes to fruition will only heighten my frustration with Rivet and Dovetail! At the least have traction used 1985-1990 a new route surely means new trains!
    Also watch this space in terms of production time I won't be surprised if we get this September / October as Rivet love to spend their time fine tuning products

• Like Like x 3
  33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Yeah, totally agree. 101 should not be in this route. I have the Diesel Legends pack but with mods. So the 101 is all Blue, no overhead cables ETC.

• Like Like x 3
  34. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Suppose so.

35. theorganist

Well each to their own. I for one am glad it is that era if we get the correct DMU. I am sure we will get plenty of modern routes to come. Don't forget there is Cathcart Circle.

• Like Like x 3
  36. theorganist

Are class 166's used on the St Ives branch, I wouldn't have thought so but maybe they are?

Actually I don't think class 166's are allowed into Cornwall, that is what I was told by someone in the know.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  37. theorganist

A class 117 wouldn't really be correct as in the 1970's Laira had class 118's and not many 117 vehicles, most of those were at Bristol and Reading at the time. I think Laira had one or two sets at some points in the 1970's. There is little difference though, the class 118 had a curved to the headcode box and the class 117 a flat top, that might be it. It wouldn't be difficult to make both variants I wouldn't have though. A class 117 would be better than the class 101 but for that authentic west country feel a class 118 would be perfect. But, I wouldn't complain much about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. theorganist

If the Snowdon Mountain railway was released I wouldn't be surprised to see a class 101 packaged with it!

The German enthusiasts are getting a class 101, they might not be getting what they think they are getting! :)

• Like Like x 2
  39. theorganist

Translated as "I want just modern routes so I don't see why they should cater for anyone else"!

It may come as a surprise to you but many people want to recreate what is gone before and not what you can currently experience by walking to your local station. Many of us are enthusiasts of other periods so after the barrage of modern routes it makes sense to see something a bit older.

Does Hornby only sell models of current trains or do they have a catalogue of steam, diesel and electric locomotives going back nearly 100 years?

• Like Like x 8
  40. londonmidland

Its the fact that as soon as its known that the route will be made by Rivet, expectations immediately drop through the floor. Rivet have a seriously bad reputation when it comes to TSW content, and I can't see this upcoming route being any better compared to IOW or Arosa..

I can guarantee one or more issues will occur as a result of Rivet making the route:

Good:
    • Good modelling of the train.
    Bad and ugly:
    • Poor and/or inaccurate scenery.
    • Very basic copy and paste timetable
    • Incorrect physics
    • Poor Sounds
    • Incorrect choice of rolling stock and livery

• Like Like x 12
  41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And what's wrong with that?

[​IMG]

I would venture DTG doesn't have a Southwestern license, but do for BR/NSE (all licensing for TS/TSW is handled by Dovetail, not the 3rd party contractors).

42. solicitr

No, he didn't. He implied, without quite saying it, that there would be a US passenger route sometime this year, which isn't the same at all as saying it would be "announced in this roadmap."

43. londonmidland

You do realise that the NSE livery is completely inappropriate for the era IOW is set in? An unbranded red livery would've fit in much better.

• Like Like x 2
  44. turbostar#4215

turbostar#4215 Active Member

Point taken but what I was getting at was are older routes really the way forward when we have had so many modern routes recently released? Also to let you know I do understand consumers wishes for older routes and I for one can't wait for steam to release but I would be disappointed if we get older routes with the same 101 stuck on to it. A 1985 + edition of the Cornwall route with Class 150 for example would be excellent but you get the feeling this may not be what Rivet have intended

• Like Like x 1
  45. solicitr

Do you really have to ask?

For many of us, the whole point of a train fascination is nostalgia. Myself I have zero interest in 'modern' passenger rail (if that's the right term for it)

• Like Like x 4
  46. solicitr

Dovetail don't do unbranded liveries.

47. theorganist

It is a simulator so really it shouldn't be harnessed to just the modern era unless it is marketed as doing so. I don't see that era dictates a direction of travel for the simulator, surely the ability to cover different eras shows the simulator in a good light.

I agree about the class 101, although a late 80's version of the route would be extremely suitable for the class 101. No doubt we would get it then in 1970's blue!

Whatever the era we will undoubtedly get some reuse of stock it would be silly not to, I imagine there will be one new train at least though.

• Like Like x 4
  48. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

You just asked the same rhetorical question using other words.

The answer is yes, because we want things other than modern routes? I really don't understand the question. It's like you're implying modern routes are objectively better than old routes...

Or even better; we've not had American passenger routes for a while, so why do people want American passenger routes?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

So a route has only just been announced today, and people going on like it’s the worst route ever made, before even seeing a screenshot, or what’s going to be included.

Fantastic.

• Like Like x 10
  50. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Well personally I had my expectations with IOW which where not met. Then I lowered my bar for Arosa to not get fooled again and still got disappointed. For this third time I won't pretend as if I need to see something before I can make up my mind, I was let down twice already and don't expect that to change. The way I see it now is that IOW and Arosa show what Rivet can and what Rivet can't do, and it might be good enough for others, but ain't for me.
    So this is getting on my "maybe with 50% discount list" immediately.

• Like Like x 4