Db Br 204 Low Top Speed Or Gear Not Working

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Haribo112, Apr 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

So I was driving the DB BR 204, in the scenario where you drive from Lohr all the way to Aschaffenburg. I noticed I was not able to speed up past 60 km/h on the mainline. Now, the manual mentions something about a shunting gear and a fast gear. It also says there is no physical lever or button to operate this in the cab (why not??) and that you can only change gears using Shift + E key combination. However, when I do that, my character stands up from the seat, because E is used for standing up / sitting down. Is there a solution to this? Am I the only one with this problem?

The manual also states that the loco should be in fast gear by default, but since I'm unable to go faster than 60 , I suspect this is not true.

2. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

3. Alexandreo3

Alexandreo3 Active Member

sorry it has nothing to do with the gear the top three notches of power simply dont work and dont add additional power to the loco.
    So you are stuck with creeping up the hill

4. fabristunt

I have not used the 204 that much in TSW 2, but in the older TSW it was ok. If today's update includes the fixes for MSB, I might try this scenario and report back.

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You really expect a little shunting engine with a tail of loaded wagons to go over 60 km/h? Dream on. It was never built for mainline freight operation.

The top three throttle settings "work," but you have already maxed out your poor little diesel and it has no more rpms to give.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fabristunt

It reached 100 km/h without any issues in TSW 2020, just like it's supposed to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haribo112

Thank you! Was this added later? I found a much rougher (possible earlier?) version of the manual on Steam, and it mentioned that no cab control was present for this functionality.

8. fabristunt

9. Haribo112

10. Haribo112

Okay so I found the lever in the cab, it is already set to fast gear, but still my train will not go faster than 60kmh with only 4 cars behind the loco. I checked all the brakes, they are all set correctly. Surely this must be a bug of some sorts?

11. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I've recently done this scenario and I was able to reach speeds well above 60km/h as it's supposed to do. Are you sure your brakes are fully released?

12. fabristunt

I'll try this scenario later today. It will reach 100, but not that fast if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  13. Haribo112

It was no problem once I passed Heigenbrücken; the 2% downhill gave me quite the push. I did check all of my brakes, even changed them over to G settings (not that it matters with only 4 wagons), checked parking brakes on all wagons, checked parking brake on the loco... I'm just out of ideas. I did finish the scenario; it just took a very long time.

14. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It always was there. There is is even en setting for brake timing freight or passenger, though this is not documented. You find it on the outside of the loco on one of the sides a red coloured valve.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexandreo3

Thats not correct the DR BR V 100 / DB BR 204 is indeed a mainline diesel loco for medium freight and local passanger service(originaly, today it doesnt haul passangers anymore) on secondary mainline or branch lines wit a max speed of 100km/h
    the highest three notches because the probably thought that you wouldnt get to speeds above 45 km/h anyway.
    Because in the Harbour you only shunt and the mainline service to lohr wasnt part of the original experience.
    Here you can see a BR 204 or maybe 202 the only differ in their engine hauling a medium freigt train. Defenitly more than the 2 or was it 3 waggons you haul on MSB.

Edited by DTG Natster - Removed inappropriate language please update yourself with the forum rules before posting again.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2021
  16. fabristunt

I am doing the scenario now. I wasn't able to go more than 73 km/h when climbing, but it's a steep ramp. Bear in mind that the slope indicator is still wrong, almost a year after release (looking at you DTG...). TSW says I'm pulling 421 t, the loco and 4 wagons.
    However in the flat sections after the big descend it can keep 100 km/h and if you slow to 90 it climbs back up without any issues. All in all it drives like I remeber it did in TSW2020, just the sounds are messed up. I can't be bothered to install TSW2020 again to check.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

Seriously? The DR built a 900hp gear-drive "mainline diesel" ? (I know that the 204 has been up-engined, but still....)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  18. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not really a mainline diesel. Like the DB Br 211/212, it was intended for Nebenstrecken. I think that translates to branch lines, but I'm not sure if that is really an appropriate translation. Its main purpose was to haul both passengers and freight at moderate speed (read as up to 80-100km/h) on these branch lines. If needed, you could double head them which made them more suitable to mainline use.

If you think about American locos, I think a road switcher like the GP38-2 is the closest in design to a V100 (DB or DR).

Just to prevent any misunderstandings, it's got a hydraulic transmission. I don't think anyone would be mad enough to use a mechanical gearbox for such a loco.

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

Except the 38 has 2000 hp

20. Lamplight

That's true, I was just trying to find something comparable in design philosophy that you may be more familiar with.

21. solicitr

That would be the EMD NW-3. There were seven of these built, a special order from Great Northern. Identical to the ubiquitous 1000-hp NW-2 yard switcher, but on a longer frame to accommodate Blomberg road trucks, so that it could haul local freight.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Lamplight

That seems like a good match. I just remembered - aren't the MP15DC switchers we got for CalTrain equipped with Blomberg trucks as well? That would probably be another good example in that case.

Long story short, I don't think there's a perfect North American example since the V100s are a real jack of all trades. They can haul light freight and medium speed passenger runs as well. I don't think there are any branch lines (again - it's an imperfect translation) in the States that would have required such a mix of qualities.

23. Alexandreo3

Yes on secondary mainlines or branch lines you dont need extremly long trains or high speeds.
    Most secondary Mainlines in Germany where designed to be 100 Km/h max more often 80 km/h and even just 60 km/h for most branch lines.
    The DB BR 363 is a shunting/switching loco.
    And comparing US locos doesnt really make sense here as Trains in the US tend to be way way longer and heavier.
    You also have to see that the V 100/ BR 204 was orderd in the 50`s to replace old steam engines on these secondary lines.
    The engine has 1000 PS (1HP = 1.0139PS dont ask me why), the 900 PS engine was only used in the Prototyp.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_Class_V_100
    The english wiki isnt as extensive as the german but you can read it there otherwise I can only point you to german rail fan magazines

• Like Like x 2