PC Clinchfield Tick List

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by solicitr, Apr 12, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Today's patch included some modifications to Clinchfield, so the original list will probably require revision (later this evening)

2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I believe I got the latest update on console and this is still an issue unless you do everything super fast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

Updated to reflect the fixed SD40 number plates in today's patch.

4. solicitr

According to Matt, there are no current plans to fix the nonfunctional DPU/banking bug. :mad:

5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That's a real bummer. Might I ask where he commented on this issue, if you don't mind?

6. solicitr

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I read that first comment as there are plans to fix it, and the second one as we won’t forget it again now we forgot it in the C40-8W and the CRR

8. Lamplight

Well, the Dash 8 was fixed quite a few months after release, so maybe we‘ll see a fix for it a months from now. Seems to be the best chance we‘ve got.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I agree I think we will get it, it’s just when rather than if IMO.

10. solicitr

Updated to reflect another issue I just found: custom Livery Designer freight cars do not spawn at all. No problem with the locos- if anything, their spawn rate is too high - but not a single wagon other than game default.

11. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I'm just getting tired of these games always being so buggy each new line they make. It's just so predictable that it'll be flawed now it's a game for me to see well....will it be mostly fun with a few weird issues, or an unplayable mess.

12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. solicitr

It does work. A pain, to keep your tail end from SPADing at the northenmost signal, but it definitely works.

Screenshot (41).png

There are a couple of minor fist-pump moments: when you can throttle up from Notch 3 to Notch 4 (yay!), and when you get it all the way to 8.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

So, I am not detecting any reverb in the tunnels, nor am I hearing any track joint sounds even when going over the points.
    Then there is the issue with the wagons being parked on a slope with no brakes on, and in the case on engines the need to set the brakes before sitting down, otherwise they run away...
    I'm also getting that weird power down to zero and then coming back up again (whilst the power handle is "on" in a number of different notches)...

15. solicitr

Those are transitions: the electric transmission is "shifting gears." It's correct.

• Like Like x 2
  16. stevewa

stevewa New Member

1. Cabooses should have red lanterns hanging (two, one on each side) right under the roofline on the "back porch" as these serve as the markers indicating end-of-train.
    2. SD40 did have (what I assume to be a rudimentary) anti-slip system that could reduce power and apply sand automatically when wheelslip is detected. In fact the engineer's manual I found online recommended leaving the engine in RUN-8 in these situations unless the wheelslip indicator came on continuously.
    3. SD40 doesn't have a brake pipe gauge, only a brake flow meter that doesn't work.
    4. Really minor nit: In the pause screen on CRR the loco type is listed as "SD40-2" which it most decidedly isn't.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stevewa

stevewa New Member

I'm not at all sure that 1970s era CRR had distributed power in any event. So not having "banking comms" option may well be prototypical. If I recall my reading SRR were maybe experimenting with an early version of DPU but it involved a boxcar full of radio equipment ahead of the remote loco(s).
    Wiki is my friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_power

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  18. vogelm10

Well lanterns on caboose are all dependent on what kind of train it is. They aren't just red. Different lines did different things here are a few examples.
    2021-05-06_07-34-21.jpg 2021-05-06_07-34-39.jpg 2021-05-06_07-35-22.jpg

19. solicitr

They didn't have Distributed Power, formally, meaning by that actual remote control. But that isn't what "Banking Comms" represents in the game anyway. "Banking Comms" represents an abstraction of the much older practice of using helper engines, with live crews, coordinated by voice radio: this CRR definitely did, along with every other US RR which moved long. heavy trains.

20. Lamplight

Very interesting read. I assume that those light configurations were specific to one railroad, right? Or were those more or less accepted as standard between most railroads?

21. vogelm10

So I think there was a little bit of similarities between roads but as you can see each one had their own version. But for the most part lantern signals were pretty similar.

22. stevewa

stevewa New Member

For sure. It'd be really amazing to get that vocalized over the radio too, just as it'd be amazing if the rest of the freight crew would throw a switch or uncouple a car on occasion.

23. stevewa

stevewa New Member

On Sand Patch, Banking Comms is being used to simulate DPU. I'm assuming this is because modeling actual DPU was deemed to complex for gameplay (it probably is).

24. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Since there's a sale on PSN right now and I like to do freight runs, I thought why not CRR ... little did I know.
    Here's some more for the
    - manual switches normally show red for the left path and yellow for the right path, but some switches do it the other way round, which is quite irritating
    - I found several holes in the ground where you can see the white void ... how can this go unnoticed in QA?
    - the sequence of stations when choosing to explore on foot is rather strange, erratic to say the least
    - when driving in rain the rain drops keep rolling down the side window (ok), but they do this even when it's completely opened ... (not ok)

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  25. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

just found this video, if you watch at the beginning (around 0:19) SD40 or whatever has both it's forward and rear headlights on... perhaps it has a similar lighting switch to the SD40 on CRR?

26. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Well well, I think we should consider this route to be situated in the 24th century as obviously the trains get beamed to their destination ... :D
    Else it would be another issue in the category 2) Major flaws:
    - The McClure turnaround has 4 parts in journey mode or time table mode, with part one starting at 04:00am in Elkhorn, coupling to 21 cars at Potter and then the train has to drive ~37 km to McClure. The speed limit for most of the track is 30 mph (or 48 kph), so assuming we don't have to accelerate or brake we would need (37/48*60) >46 minutes to get there.
    - The second part is announced to start at 04:32am at Potter ..... but don't worry, that's falsely announced. In fact, it starts at McClure, and the train from the previous part has miraculously arrived there. Even if you spawn on foot at 04:30am it is already waiting .... but when spawning at 04:20am you can see it on the map a little south of Berta. Then it arrives around 04:43am, still being faster than expected, considering that the departure time at Potter was 04:05am at least.

I'm really curious what else I'll find on this route, maybe some signs of alien technology ... who knows. XD

• Like Like x 1
  27. vogelm10

Aliens would be eaten in those parts....

28. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Not sure if I missed it in your list but none of the stock has correct snow textures. The only snow you get is a little on the front and that's it. Nothing on the roofs of boxcars etc... or on any other surfaces of locos. I have logged a ticket for this along with the issue with Custom rolling stock not being used.

• Like Like x 1
  29. blaze111csx

I put both of those in my bug report, which reported 45 bugs in total, but I don't even think they read it.

30. blaze111csx

20210520195629_1.jpg
    apparently this is yellow in-game, presumably because the system told the signal to go yellow, but the signal didn't have a yellow aspect. IRL you treat this as a red, until I think either it lights up or the dispatcher tells you to go. very very different meanings. on a side note, how do trains know they are going to have to stop if you only have red-green signals on the entire route?

31. solicitr

It's not functioning, but it isn't the yellow indicated in the HUD (that's still half a mile away). This one is just a two-aspect signal, so I suspect it's actually a red over white- except none of the Restricting signals in Clinchfield work at all.

32. blaze111csx

no that was the signal. I checked when I passed it. I have a habit of looking for grade crossings on this part of the route (10mph area) so I'm not constantly bored. thats when I ran into the signal.

33. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

In my short test run after buying the route yesterday, I definitely noticed these.

What's up with DTG forgetting to put up whitsle boards on US routes? It's so annoying. LIRR is missing them as well, even though SPG and Peninsula Corridor had them.

The lack of any NPCs on the route is a small thing, and kind of the standard in TSW at this point. But they could really put around a few NPCs there and there, like they did in the SPG scenarios. Or make those yellow diggers around the coal loaders rotate once in a while or something with a looping animation. Small things, but would make the route feel less deserted.

And yeah, my first scenario the first thing I did was accidentally applying the emergency brake even before taking off.

34. blaze111csx

doesn't K5LA mean that the horn has 5 bells? then why does the CRR SD40 only have 3?
    I suspect that means that DTG still intends to fix the horn. otherwise I think they would have put a 5 bell one.

Oh, also over the weekend I ran into a CRR hopper somewhere past Duluth, Minnesota. Couldn't take a picture of it but still it's pretty cool.

EDIT
    decided to play some CRR today, suddenly I have a 35fps instead of the usual 20, was there a patch for optimization put out that I didn't know about?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  35. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

The horn of the CRR SD40 that the loco would be getting is the RS3L horn

36. blaze111csx

are they still gonna do it though?

37. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Honestly no idea lets ping TrainSim-Matt sorry for the ping also

38. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

The whole Nora turn and as it seems the Moss turn and also several scenarios are in pitch black night and additionally with rain. Shunting is a nightmare here. This should definitely be changed but if, i have finished them anyway or rage quit I guess.

39. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Same for the SPG New Journeys one, except worse, you can't turn them on at all as there's no interactive switch in the cab. It may be the same for the CRR one but i didn't test it yet.

40. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The last post was in 2021. Unless you've got something related to the topic regarding clinch field, you shouldn't be bumping posts. Just fyi

41. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

All of this still relevant and unfixed in 2022. I just got Clinchfield 2 weeks ago and am running into these issues.

Yes very frustrating. Actually more of a major piss off!
    Does not make game play fun at all trying to scramble around to get the train stopped when nothing is even running yet. Basically you've failed the "grade" even before you start.

Some outdoor lighting off the tipple or something basic like moonlight even would be nice. Or, a flashlight option for the brakeman in camera mode would be super helpful.

Ran into this last night. Annoying as hell. But saved the day and stopped in time to reverse and set switch for the right track before completing journey for a gold.

Yes. F7 needs to be fixed.
    SD40 lights are paintable BUT when used turned "on" light up yellow with no numbers!.
    And yellow?! ,,, Who does that? I have never seen a Clinchfield loco in real life but every other railway they are either black or white.

Noticed this also. Have custom painted some hoppers and boxes in this route but have not seen one yet. It kind of the same with Cajon..... no custom paints showing up except locos in Timetable.

Did not notice this particular thing but did notice a different flaw in the routing map in Ascent --- at the end of the scenario it tells you to take the loco back to the storage track and routes you back but not fully to where you are supposed to go. Instead the routing disappears and jumps over about 5 tracks with no "in between" routing. So you are left to figure this out on your own and route yourself manually over to the other highlighted tracks before being able to arrive where they want you. Had me stumped for just a second and then I thought I'd just route myself between the two locations. It worked but shouldn't be happening. This is not the first time this has happened. I experienced it somewhere else but can't recall where at the moment.

Additionally I have also learned that in Clinchfield you have to hand brake everything!
    Or, you lose cars, trains, cabooses, &c. And with the locos you had better independant brake them 100% or you get uncontrolled roll issues. Very frustrating and challenging route IMO. But beautiful and enjoyable when not screwing up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  42. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Always yellow on the CRR locos whichever livery they were in. ;)

D8F0FA0B-5A09-4EF8-BB4F-23A2CB06500A.jpeg 883E2C64-3F94-4315-8FE8-FBD5CB8F16BA.jpeg B810EDEB-C876-44F4-8BD2-1F6DB4D5AD11.jpeg 24DA26B9-1FDE-4D8D-9A36-B24205CBDDEE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  43. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thank you sir. I still find that to be weird, but if that's what it was then "c'est la vie"!

44. mike#4092

mike#4092 Active Member

Yes I would..and it's SIM so for realism.

45. evolution33192

evolution33192 Member

Also when using multiple SD40s only the first 2 have sound. The third doesn't and the rear helper units never do. Also the same issue is now on CJP with the SD40-2s