Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

One point that seems to have been overlooked in the discussion of 3rd party dlc is the complexity of Unreal engine. There have been comments from at least one developer working on dlc for tsw2 to the effect that the learning curve is steep and it takes dramatically more time and effort to build locos for tsw2 than is the case for TS - for at least one small developer many months. We already have over 50 locos and well over a thousand services, so maybe we should limit our whingeing and exercise the patience we are (in)famous for. The negativity (as opposed to constructive criticism) so often shown in this forum (unlike the forums for other simulators) must be down to the tolerance demonstrated by the moderators!

• Like Like x 9
  2. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Does Simrail 2021 contain editor?

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Unknown at this time but hopefully more info will start to come in the next few months.

4. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Yes, u can bild your own routes

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Are you certain as I haven't seen anything that says you can build your own routes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  6. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything specific in the official channels (Discord, Steam forum and Facebook) about the ability to build your own routes for SimRail. But at least SDK confirmed.
    This screenshot from the route editor was posted on Discord by the developer. Google maps overlay.
    simrail_routeeditor.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

...ok. From the moment it was announced they said they were targeting the second half of 2021. We're only in March.

• Like Like x 5
  8. kosti.nuuja

That's magnificent.

9. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

i cannot understand the Video

10. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Turn captions on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt, I must have missed that, now i can relax and wait.

12. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

ue4 the bus is very good game

• Like Like x 2
  13. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

You have the option to enable English subtitles.
    a greeting

14. kosti.nuuja

Can we also create own rolling stock for Simrail 2021? I would be cool, if you can make content from your own home country with real life-based safety systems to this game.

15. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

There is first video preview of that sim:

I have to say it looks very nice.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It does look good.

17. helderbrincolas

The game that i´m most looking forward to, looks good and i liked the detail of contacting the dispatcher via radio on the train to procede

• Like Like x 4
  18. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is looking really good. I will try not to get too excited until it releases and I can see how it actually works, but it will be hard!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

The driving position seat is very very low, it's like your sitting on the floor, hopefully you can adjust it

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

The Ui is really really ugly IMO, it makes TSW's look like a dream... Other than that it looks rather good. Not sure about the glowing buttons, hopefully there'll be an option to disable them.

• Like Like x 2
  21. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

At present, for TSW, the most important thing is to solve the length and time of the development route. If DTG can develop railway plug-ins that can run effectively on Unreal to help developers develop efficiency quickly, effectively and correctly, so much the better. We should not talk about that company, the railway simulator developed is better. What we want is effective competition so that they can develop amazing railway routes in the future.

22. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The game looks great. I cant wait for it. I wonder if we can get out of the train like in tsw and walk around the train and explore. The UI is not great and could use an improvement but other than that it seems like this game has promise and could be a competitor to Train Simulator 2021. Perhaps it can even be a rival to tsw2 which in my opinion is definitely needed. I do like how simrail has a Polish route as well. I do wonder how much the game will cost and what the prices for any future dlc will be. I also wonder how multiplayer will be like

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The one thing I'm gonna say off the gate is that the UI straight up looks horrible in terms of aesthetics, but functionally seems on par with TSW. Overall fine with the HUD, but I really hope they work on improving the look of it, but otherwise I'm fine with it.

The lighting isn't so great, but the actual loco and route modeling itself seems solid to me, but given I don't know much on Polish trains I don't really have a perspective of how accurate it truly is. I would love for someone who knows more on them to give their impressions of if it's truly accurate.

The cab functionality I largely mirror my previous thoughts, looks solid, but can't say for sure. That is with one exception, the ability of not only using the dispatcher, but needing to setup the radio for it is awesome to see!

Not gonna comment on most of the sounds, they seem fine for the most part, but I really don't like the sounds when clicking buttons, it needs more variety with the sound, most of them seem to be using the same recording, and that's really distracting.

On the whole looks alright, but still need to see way more of it to properly judge it, particularly need to see more of the train physics, which we haven't seen a ton of yet.

• Like Like x 3
  24. tallboy7648

I do like how you have to set up a radio to use the dispatcher. I assume in most railways you would have to set up some sort of radio to contact the dispatcher or dial some numbers which really isn´t simulated in tsw

25. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

You can. Sometimes it happens in the TSW (on freight trains) that the brake hoses are not connected. Then you have to uncouple and reconnect each freight wagon once.

• Like Like x 1
  26. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

It looks nice but I'm not exactly blown away by it.

Graphics aren't as nice as TSW and that ugly HUD looks like something from a mobile game, hopefully it's just a placeholder and not final. Framerate is also choppy but as it's still in development, I can let that slide for now. Sounds aren't better than anything in TSW, sound about the same quality to me.

As it stands right now, it's alright but it's not enough to make me purchase the game when it releases. Maybe future videos will be able to convince me to try it out. Hopefully they'll dive into some UK content too.

• Like Like x 3
  27. tallboy7648

Ohh I see. How much you think the game will cost?

28. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

No clue, but the little article that comes with the video says they are working on a demo.
    PS: This article has some screenshots.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. shamanspark

shamanspark Member

Instant buy.
    Competition is good for business, puts a bit more pressure to DTG ;-)

• Like Like x 8
  30. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

You dont have to wait for future videos, you will be able to even try that before buy it as they are working on demo which should be released anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

I´ll say maybe $35 or more for the full game and if there will be a demo that will be great to potentially get some players who are on the fence to see if itś a product they would want to invest in in the long run

32. tallboy7648

I agree

• Like Like x 3
  33. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Looks intriguing. I love how the cab looks more interactive. It might be the video but the frame rate looks like it has the shakes still

34. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Game looks great and they have the knowledge to help DTG implement the Polish train safety system SHP for a border Germany to Poland route. Remember Simrail made the EU44 Taurus locomotives simulator for Polish Railways PKP. That includes the functional third screen on Taurus locomotive EU44 for Berlin Breslau Hbf services or Berlin Warsaw. Perhaps they can become Dovetail games third-party developer if New Polish routes are made in game like Frankfurt Am Oder to Warsaw. Reason for this is that they are familiar with Polish Railways signaling and operations. On the other hand if Simrail Poland have to work for a British client Dovetail Games can help them on how to work AWS DSD & TPWS. Since they're going to assume it's going to work the same way as the SHP train protection system used in Poland

• Like Like x 2
  35. helderbrincolas

Very innocent thoughts from you thinking that Sim Rail would join in with DTG ahahahaha, they are not dumb. Sim Rail are comited to do an advanced simulator, not a kiddie arcade and not accurate like TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  36. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Oooof.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Whats included in the first release of the game isn't important at all. HUD, drivers position, graphics etc. can all be modded and improved. The important thing is what the community and third-party developers can create for the sim with the inclued SDK. And hopefully we can share our creations in Steam Workshop, as stated by the developers.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Honestly a bit disappointed with that HUD. Hope they make enhancements to it by the time they release.

• Like Like x 1
  39. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to downplay on newer upcoming games, SimRail does not leave me with a good first impression. In fact, its exactly in line with that I was expecting from yet another game from Playway. Theres this shallow sense of depth with regard to gameplay, and that is immediately apparent in the first few seconds of the video.
    The player spawns on foot, and immediately we get the impression that we can roam around the game world freely. Thats awesome! However we don't get to see the passenger door open, or have the ability to climb inside, instead the player is immediately whisked into the cockpit by means of teleportation.
    What????
    Why bother having the ability to free roam in a train sim, if you can't even board the train? That just seems like a blatant and obvious thing that's come to be expected.
    As others have pointed out, the UI leaves much to be desired. I was left trying to make sense of the different elements, and it just simply does not come off as intuitive at all.
    Its a UI for a game that's meant to be played by casual users. It's supposed to be easy to read and be intuitive. Having all of the elements blended into the same arc like that just feels off. The element that displays the signals also feels too small to read for something that displays vital information.
    Graphics wise, it's not all that impressive either. There's just something about it that feels too plastic. There's some other games that do this as well, namely games like The Bus, however this is very much a subjective opinion. The best way I can describe it is that it almost feels as though we are looking into the game world through an Instagram filter or something. Something about it feels off.
    The cockpit and interactable buttons/switches seem on par with what we get in TSW, but it's nothing too special. I've seen some point out the radio functionality, and while that did seem cool, it didn't feel like it had a point to it. I was expecting to see a pop-up, or some form of communication with the dispatcher, some form of feedback. It's hard to tell what was going on.

With all that being said, I don't want this to be viewed as complaining or ranting...rather I want this to serve as feedback on what those developers can improve on. There's clearly a lot to work towards if there were to be genuine competition within train simulation. I know some people will look at SimRail and be enamored with it and think it's great, but I'm not really one of those people.
    The gameplay video left me with so-so first impressions, and from a consumer mindset this doesn't do much to convince me to sway from TSW to SimRail. In fact all that this video did was strengthen my appreciation for those little details that Dovetail does get right, (despite how much flak we do give them). Things like HUD elements, interactable items, the head sway and feeling of a big heavy train moving... all of these are things that I hope that SimRail can improve towards.

• Like Like x 9
  40. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

skyMutt - pretty much the same impressions I got from the video, we have the radios in TSClassic all ready. I felt the gameplay would be great for casual players the way each control was highlighted on use. I would hope that element would only be used in tutorials... all in all nice looking, but nothing revolutionary.

• Like Like x 2
  41. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about it. From their videos, Sim rail has a Taurus EU44 cab for their simulator along with an ED250 Pendolino for ED250 high speed train.

42. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Nobody has mentioned these fine gents press photos. They look like they’re about to go to war on an arm wrestling table

3AACAF75-7B07-4E11-8962-2977DE5E5D2D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  43. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Here's my personal prediction: The people that seem to come to this forum purely to complain about TSW and how they can't wait for something else, will end up being disappointed by this as well. Why? Because they always underestimate the huge amount of work involved in producing what we have now.

• Like Like x 25
  44. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Nothing in that video really left me going wow, the radio stuff looked very much just click button play sound , no real talk of safety systems. The main power supply cover sounds like its farting at you and audio overall sounds extremely digitized.
    The UI I will assume is placeholder as no one in there right mind would ok that design into a product I would hope.

What I did like however is the lighting felt allot more natural and the overhead line details is far more readable visually and appears to be less prone to horrible aliasing issues we current see in TSW and im still keen to see how the multiplayer turns out.

oh and that frame rate, regardless of lack of optimizations that was running at sub 23 FPS with nothing on screen really ... not a great baseline to start with.

Still will keep an open mind happy to see competition in this segment, what i really want to see however is Microsoft throw its hat back in now that they have Flight Sim again and make use of some of that new geo data they have that's accurate down to 30cm and there AI driven building reconstruction ect would make for one hell of an impressive route rather than seeing all these repeated same house number 2 on every route all the time over and over and over again.

• Like Like x 3
  45. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The video clip looks okay and I will undoubtedly buy and try this. However agree the HUD looks awful, like it’s ripped from a tablet train game. Also hope there will be key commands for the various controls and some regionalisation of the tips and on screen dialogue (i.e. English please!).

46. SJA

SJA Active Member

The location we were shown in the SimRail video looked decent enough to me -- somewhat gritty and very "railwayish" with good looking OHLE in my opinion, which makes a massive impact on immersion (hence why the ATS OHLE pack is such a good addition to TS Classic). Obviously in a promo vid they will show the best elements.

I've just recently put TSW back on my average spec gaming machine (outputs 3.9Ghz per core) and it runs like a charm on max settings. SimRail looked a little stuttery by comparison in the vid. And if I'm going to have stutter, I may as well use TSxx and the vast array of content I've collected over the last decade.

However, I might be one of the few people who quite likes this HUD. It's flat and 2D looking but its only job is to convey information at a glance. It doesn't need to look amazing -- it just needs to be easy to glance at for a quarter of a second, and a minimal distraction from the cab window view.

I will continue to look forward to dev updates on this. There is room for a slightly more advanced next-gen simulator and if this proves to be a bit more gritty than TSW whilst having acceptable fps and some diverse scenery, I will likely go for it.

• Like Like x 3
  47. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Hud's are not authentic and are solely to aid gameplay.
    As such they should be as unobtrusive as possible.
    That sadly was horrible.
    Lets hope it's refined before release.

48. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Looks good, the things that sway it for me are the editor and multiplayer. Big plus points. Looking forward to getting into route building with this but may be a while before we get country specific assets, trains etc. I think they are the same company that produced the free(!) Train Driver 2? If so, multiplayer with that game is very immersive.
    Looking forward.

• Like Like x 2
  49. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Yeah and that is all TSW2 has pretty graphics. Anything that does not involve DTG, gets my vote hands down.
    No editors, abysmally short routes, lousy realism and a slavish dedication to pleasing the console crowd.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I guess they still have to do a lot of work. The HUD looks deterring, ugly far to big. I am not convinced by the quality of the cab, it looks lifeless to me. And finally, it seems you cannot just walk around and open doors. This all may come, let's wait and see.